Moving to a new house to aid in recovery?
    SomeDay is offline Member

Default Moving to a new house to aid in recovery?

I am currently in the process of recovering from a painkiller addiction. I have been in the constant cycle of use/quit/withdrawal/relapse for the entire 2.5 years that I have been living in my current house. Thus I definitely have lots and lots of horrible memories tied to this house.

My lease is currently up, which means I have the opportunity to find a new house to live in. I am thinking that maybe this would be a good opportunity to get a fresh start in a new place where I have no memories of withdrawal. I hate moving and this house is the perfect size, but unfortunately the majority of the memories I have here are of being in a constant state of withdrawal.

Has anybody in recovery every gone to these extremes just to get a new start? Did you feel that it made a big difference?

Thanks.

Schwaglioni is offline Junior Member

That is certainly something to consider if you think it might help you.

When I was getting ready to quit drugs 10 years ago, I broke my lease and left the city I was living in to give myself a new start in a new house in a new city.

I definately think it helped.

yezdegerd is offline Senior Member

I think that my addiction started as I started getting older, and losing the ability to pack up and do what I want whenever I wanted, change will most likely help your recovery 1000 fold. I'm counting the minutes until I can move!

SomeDay is offline Member

It's getting close to the time when I need to decide whether to move to a new house or not. I have been going through the constant use/quit/relapse cycle the entire 2.5 years I have been in this house.

I hate to move but think that it might aid in my recovery. Just seeing something different everyday may help. Any other suggestions before I have to decide?

Thanks!

Melissa B is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by SomeDay View Post
    I am currently in the process of recovering from a painkiller addiction. I have been in the constant cycle of use/quit/withdrawal/relapse for the entire 2.5 years that I have been living in my current house. Thus I definitely have lots and lots of horrible memories tied to this house.

My lease is currently up, which means I have the opportunity to find a new house to live in. I am thinking that maybe this would be a good opportunity to get a fresh start in a new place where I have no memories of withdrawal. I hate moving and this house is the perfect size, but unfortunately the majority of the memories I have here are of being in a constant state of withdrawal.

Has anybody in recovery every gone to these extremes just to get a new start? Did you feel that it made a big difference?

Thanks.
    Hello Someday
    I'm not going to say that moving won't help, but I don't really think it holds much weight if your not 100% ready to be clean. I don't think it has anything to do with where you live because as addicts we will always find a way no matter where we are living. I think it has more to do with the people we choose to associate with and the state of mind you are in. It wasn't until I was absolutely sick and tired of all the ************ days of withdrawal and making up stories like I had the flu or a headache or whatever that I actually got clean, and that was in my house that I used in from the first day I moved there. Nobody or No Place can get you clean. It has to come from within and when your ready you will know it in your heart. It definately helps to have support from people who care and it helps to have a motivating factor, but ultimately, it's up to you! Moving may help to chase away some of those bad memories, but remember, memories are something that we take with us wherever we go. Time and healing are the only way to ease those ghosts of the past. Once we are clean that healing process starts. I wish you all the best in your decision and keep us updated on your recovery process.

Melissa
    Melissa