Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
Methadone withdrawal
    cantstandit is offline New Member

Default Methadone withdrawal

About a year ago, I, abused methadone. I have tried everything to get off of this stuff. I hate it, I wish I had never done it, I just can't stand it any more. Cold turkey of course did not work as I experienced muscle cramps and restless limbs. I have tried gradually reducing the amount I've taken daily until I got down to down to little tiny grains a day but the muscle cramps that keep me up at night have never gone away. Finally about 3 weeks ago, I completely stopped taking even those tiny grains and keep expecting the cramps and restlessnes to go away. My nightly routine is made up of falling asleep, then waking up 30 minutes later with muscle cramps, take a hot bath, try to go back to sleep, take another bath, fall asleep, wake up 30 minutes later, and on and on and on until 4:00 am when I finally fall asleep. I am only getting about 4 hours sleep a night and am absolutely going insane.

It's been 20 days of little to no sleep, tossing and turning in bed. How long am I going to have to suffer this way until the restlessnes and muscle cramps go away? Does anyone know of anything that will lessen the cramps?

Thanks for your reply.

I have looked all over the net for information on how to lessen the withdrawl effects of methadone and have finally found something I think may be useful for myself and others. After reading this article, I immediatlely see some big mistakes that I have made like eating red meats, soda and sugar, and not providing the right building blocks to achieve the repair that my body so desperately needs. I plan to immediately implement most of the suggestions made and will share my experinces for others to learn from.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 01-11-2012 at 01:36 PM.
    rcky327 likes this.

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Try immodium,it's a narcotic but doesn't cross the blood\brain barrier.Also a mild benzodiazepine can help you sleep just don't use them for too long..Good luck...Dave

P.S. If this doesn't work you may want to find a doctor that prescribes buprenorphene.They are having amazing results with it detoxing methadone patients with little or no withdrawls......Dave
    rcky327 likes this.

tomuchpain is offline Junior Member

hi mvpt whats up man ? I been in so much pain a was about to go crazy. I went the denist Aug 2 the denist pulls out all ugly teeth I wanted out but had real bad tooth with big hole in it I wanted that out also. I had to go back today he did not want to do it he said I conld not take the pain for aweek with all pain and taking pain pills vicdon. I told him pull it now he did he said I would be in alot of pain. I got percocet took them one time today.If the denist would have listen for 7days ago. I was in pain before he pull bad one I have just a little pain now. Wish drs would listen they learn more from us no they want to tell whats wrong just by looking at you and take your money they don't care any more just need to talk CC[]

Shaneleo is offline Junior Member

cantstandit,

Im sorry to have to tell you this but methadone is harder to come off of herion. Herion is about 7-10 days and methadone is 30-120days depending on how many mg you were taking a day, how long, weight, and you.
    Try Suboxone!!! It is a great detox drug. And it has a built in anti relaps drug called naxlone that keeps you from getting high if use and would make you sick. The move to Suboxone has been the best thing that I have ever done. It wasn,t a painless one but If I had the chance knowing what I know now I would do it a hundred times over. Thats the only thing that sucks is you have to be in withdrawal to start Suboxone or it will force you into rapid W/D and you will get very six. To give you an idea I was taking about 80mg of methadone per day before I left my doctor. I got myself down to 40mg per day then ran out of pills. About a day and a half later I started withdrawaling from the methadone. (It takes quite awhile to start withdrawaling from methadone becasue it builds up in your system) I went to the hospital that night because i couldn't take the withdrawals anymore. They gave me a shot of Dilatan to stop the withdrawals and gave me 15 10-325 perks until I can see a doctor. I could take three of them at once and not even feel anything, it would just stop the withdrawals for about 2 hours. I made them last two days some how. I took the last one two at 6:00am on 08-09-05 and I took my Suboxone (2-8mg pills under the tounge) at 1:30pm the same day. About thirty min later I actually started feeling worse and worse after about 45min I thought I might have taken it two early. (which when you do that it forces your body into withdrawal) I went to sit down on the couch to get on the web to see if I took it to early and this is not a joke, I was standing their and went to sit down, the second I hit the couch everything was gone. All the withdrawal symptoms, bad sweats, tremors, yawning, cramps, cold sweats, hot sweats, goose bumps and a whole other slue of >>>> was gone. My second day and I am feeling the best I have felt in years. No withdrawal symptoms, depression or cravings. The first night it did nothing for my pain but woke up the second day and the pain feels a lot better. This stuff was sent here from GOD himself. (If you believe in that) other wise its just a really really super thing. I really think you should give Suboxone a shot. Most insurances will pay most of the cost otherwise the medication is kind of expensive. About 325 for 60 8mg pills. I only have to pay 40 bucks for them. Good luck to you and please sent me an email if you or anyone else has any questions. Shane.Gangidino@comcast.net THIS SITE IS A HUGE SUPPORT SYSTEM AND YOU KNOW YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

shane

karen lock is offline New Member

my name is karen and ive never done anything like this im 43 on drugs -all of them since 11 i started meth maint 12-8-04, i quit cold turkey 3 days ago after going from 120 mg a day to 55, i have benedryl at home and about 50 klonopin. is it possible for me to do this cold turkey? the klonopin is just so i can get some sleep i have 3 kids. i really need help. the meth clinc didnt want me to go down from 120 and said >> be on it for life, i was blacking out whole days and hate the methadose i was on, someone with words of wisdome please reply

karen lock is offline New Member

this is karen l i wrote a minute ago and dont know what im doing i didnt leave e mail address was i supposed toL drg187@aol. please help

I have now been completely off of methadone for 30 days and am finally beginning to feel much better. After considering other's experiences and strategies in tackling this big hurdle, I decided to stay on the path of quiting cold turkey without the use of Suboxone and other medications that require their own withdarawal, and I'm glad that I did. The only good information that I could find on a more natural approach was at http://www.dpeg.org/treatment/methadone_withdrawal.htm as I mentioned in my post above. I highly recommend that anyone going through withdrawal, read what this doctor has to say about the healing your body must go through during detox. After following this doctor's suggestions, I can honestly say that many of symptoms I was feeling like anxiety, nervous stomach, and diarrhea began to disappear after just the first day. I spent $137 on herbs and vitamins, became more completely aware of my diet and how it impacts the withdrawal and healing process, and have tried to go on with daily life as best I could. The mornings have been tough, the afternoons much better, and the nights have progrssively improved to the point that I am finally getting sleep. The muscle cramps and restless limbs have been the toughest for me to deal with as they have prevented my sleep so many nights. I can't tell you that the symptoms have completely disappeared but it's all getting better day after day. I am finally seeing the light at the the end of the tunnel and hope that you do too. The exciting part for me is that once I am completely out of that tunnel, is that I will be done. I don't have to then withdraw off of Suboxone or anything else. This has honestly been the toughest physical experience I have ever gone through but it will certainly have all been worth it to get a normal life back. Be strong and you can do this too. Good Luck

rcky327 likes this.

Congratulations to you Cant,you have gone through the toughest battle you will likely ever encounter.Now you can use your knowledge and wisdom to offer your assistance to other people that are trying to get off of narcotics.Way to go,give yourself a big pat on the back dude you deserve it.......Dave
    Dumpster Diver likes this.

Thanks mpvt. It has been very tough which is reason enough for me not to relapse. What a perfect reminder. I must tell you that I am very excited about the past few days and I hope that this serves as encouragement to others that are detoxing right now. For 3 days now, I have gotten at least 7 hours of sleep. This is absolutely huge. I have not gotten more than a few hours of continuous sleep in a month and I thought that these good days would never come again. But they did. Getting off drugs really works and the days just keep getting better.

minnib is offline New Member

Cantstandit, you are trully ur own hero!!and Im sure to many others as well! You are now a beacon of light to others. May you continue on your journey of health and wellness.

Peace to all,
    Minnib

Adelaide is offline New Member

Hi. This is the first time I have posted. I was on 70 mg of methadone a day (for pain)and have started decreasing it.(I've been on this for 5 years now.) I am down to 10 mg. I have been doing pretty well until the past week with the last decrease. I am dizzy, anxious and a bunch of other things. I went to see my dr. today and she said that I have been doing things right but need to slow down now. She suggusted that I add a 1/4 tablet mid day. (2.5 mg) She said that I don't have much medication in my system and am going through peaks and valleys. I go back to see her next week. She wants to take the rest of the tappering off slow. What have others experienced?

Thanks minnib for your kind words. Adelaide, I can tell you that I tried tapering off until I was taking less than 1 gram a day until I tried cold turkey. I kept expecting the side effects that you are feeling now to go away soon but they did not and they will not for you. It took about 5 weeks after going cold turkey before they truly began to fade. During that 5 weeks, I went with little to no sleep, nausea, nervous stomack, anxiety, and a slight bit of diahrea. For the first couple weeks, I was not able to work at all but eventually got back to work on the 3rd week. As you may have read in post above, I tried a more natural approach to dealing with the withdrawal symptoms rather than going on a detox medicine. I was glad that I did as after the 5th week, I was pretty well done with detox rather than having to then also detox of the detox medicine. I would talk to your doctor about whether to consider detox drugs like Suboxone or not. Regardless of which route you go, please stick to it and down backslide. I tried for over a year to get completely off of methadone and it ruined so many things in my life over that time. Looking back now, I wish I had the strength back then to just get it over with the 5 week detox. Instead, everytime I couldn't deal with the withdrawal, I added more methadone back into my system. It only prolonged the inevitable and literally wasted a year of my life.

Good luck to you and my thoughts and prayers are with you as you struggle through detox.

stuck is offline New Member

I,ve went from 70mg to 9mg in 4 months, it's gonna take me 8 weeks to get to 1mg. If I'm still in for 5weeks of withdraw at 1mg, mabe I should just go cold turkey from 9mg?

Any suggestions

Ali-77 is offline Junior Member

Acually i have a question i hope someone could answer for me. i was wondering how someone goes about getting on a meth maint. program- the steps do you just walk in the clinc.. >> you dont have insurance is there any hope at all ?

Stuck,
    How are you doing on the 9mg. I ended up adding a dose mid-day and am on 12 1/2mg. Am doing pretty good on thid dosage. Do you take liquid or pill form? I am on 10 mg. tablets but I can see where one can only break them so far!

Good luck to you!

Charlene McCreight

just wanted to say something i belong to another site were ppl fight for there recovery and some have mentioned thery experiance with something called nutracleance i believe available at www.detox123.com
    many ppl didnt belive that something like this would help with the withdrawls but ppl started getting it and posting there exsperiacnce and there was no 1 person that want please ITS A NOSE DROP!
    I have personally never tryied its alittle pricey at one point the site was giving away small samples. PPL said it gave then a fair amount of enery on the days they have used it others have said it was a lifesaver.
    Alicia

amazonian1 is offline New Member

Hi Ali,
    The answer to your question is; If it is a private clinic then you can probably get in that week. I'd call first. If it is a clinic ran by the state then there is usually a waiting list. Where I'm from, the list was three months long. But call around. If you have no insurance then the state clinic is where you want to go. The pay is on a sliding scale. If you work, you pay a little bit, if you dont work then you dont pay. I was at the private clinic for a couple of months before I could get into the state clinic and I had to pay $11 a day,rather I went or not, and they were strict about the money. I had to get the hell out of there. I hope this helps you, let me know.

C [|)]

stuck is offline New Member

Hey Adelaide:

I'm on liquid, I get carries so when I have a bad day I can take some from my next days dose but it catches up with me at the end of the week when I run short.
    I,m seriosly considering going cold turkey, I feel like **** anyway I might as well get it over with.
    I'm really glad I found this board. Its nice to know I'm not alone and I just want to thank all who posts for sharing their hope and experiences with me.
    Tommorow (FRIDAY) I drop to 8mg. "wish me luck" STUCK

Patrick MD is offline New Member

Hi there,

I am a doctor (M.D.) who specializes in addiction and these type of medications. I will give you the honest truth, not the false information that is printed in books. Actually I shouldn't say it is false, but everyone's circumstances are different. If you are coming off of Methadone, any Narcotic, Benzodiazepine, alcohol, or whatever and are having bad symptoms...please e-mail me with as much detail as you can about how long you have been using, how much. How often do you relapse? Really? Don't lie, or I won't be able to give you an accurate answer. Anything you say, will stay between you and me, and there is nothing you can say that I haven't heard.

I will do my best to help you out because I too have been through this as a youth, and I'm not a typical...follow it by the book doctor. I know what reality is. But like I said, if you are taking 500 mg. of Methadone a day, don't be afraid to tell me. If you lie, I can't help. I may also be able to get your hands on some prescriptons that may help with the symptoms. I cannot directly write one to you as I do not know you and have not evaluated you, but I can refer you to places where you can get what you may need. As crazy as it sounds (and don't think I'm a quack for saying it) to people who have been using hard drugs like oxycontin and methadone or >>>>>>, or Klonopin/Xanax/Valium for a long time, you will tend to think that nothing can help you besides another hard pharmaceutical drug, but sometimes, if the case is minor, some holistic remidies can be applied either alone, or with a prescription to help speed up detox process. For example, the combination of Melatonin, Kava, and Valerian Root, Passionflower, as well as many others have been proven to be just as effective as some of the top name pharmaceuticals, with no side effects which enables you to apply that to another drug. Methadone/Methadose is probably the hardest to detox from because it has a very long half-life and it leaves your body just as slow. If your dose was above 60, you may not expect to feel relief for as much as 45 days, as scary as that sounds, but there are ways of making it bearable. FACT: After a 6-month >>>>>> addiction, the body is not 100% completely back to normal for at least another 6 months. Even though the acute symptoms are over in 5-7 days at the latest, there are such factors as eating and nutrition, sleep habits, physical energy, and the depression that inevitably follows detox off of almost any substance.

As I said, if you write to me, I will respond with what can help you.

Thank you!
    Last edited by ddcmod; 01-11-2012 at 01:37 PM.

Hello Amazon just wanted to tell you i am apart of a state clinic now and it is covered by my insurance so thats good i only had to pay the first 30 dallors out of pocket. I do have to go everyday except sunday butnits really quick in and out im on 55mgs and going to stay there timm they r ready to bring me down cause im doing a 6 month detox or atleast try too.Alo after your there for a couple months you get more take homes then just one .
    Thank you for the respond
    Alicia

To Ali and All who will listen,

I have never known a methodone clinic to accept private insurance. They do accept medical assistance however. To get this you have to apply through your department of social services in your county. If approved, you will get free meth treatment at just about any clinic along with free taxi rides. Contact your department of Social Services and they will tell you how. The other way is to contact your health department in your county. They offer free or very, very cheap programs. Ours is $2.00 per visit. The problem w/ this route is that they make you attend classes[8]. This is not feasible for those that do not like counseling or who have to work. The other alternative is the suboxone route. I think this is better. You can get your own private physician and not worry about going to a clinic every morning
    [^]. However, you do have to pay an office visit. Mine is $120.00 first time, and $60.00 thereafter. The doctor I found is cool. He says I only have to come once or twice a month. My insurance covers the meds. But insurance does not cover the visits. However, you dont have to worry about going to a clinic everyday. I have a pretty good supply on me now of subutex. I will start my first dose tonight after waiting until I feel withdrawals. I am a little scared because this time I am coming off of 34mg. a meth per day. I meth'd myself for 4 months.I Had my last dose 4 days ago, but sustained myself with percs. So far I had no regrets of using meth(except depending on shaky people) because it costed me $40.00 per week, and I was not longer spending $300.00 per week on H and pills. Anyway it only lasted for 4 months. My first supplier ^$#*ed me; took my money and left me nothing. Then just this weekend my second supplier figure she could do the same %$#@. She did. Now I am without, but am happy I did my research ahead of time because now I don't have to become frantic [xx(] to the oncoming onset of withdrawals. I am geting more and more sophisticated and careful[:I] The reason I do not opt the meth clinics is because my spouse would never ever consider this. My spouse knows Judge Mental! This is ironic because I live 2 city blocks from the meth clinic. I live in a rural area where there stands a meth clinic. Perfect for me. All others travel as far as 40 miles from the main City. Not me, I could walk, but my spouse wont let me. My spouse is Judge Mental. There are many Judge Mentals out there. Pay no attention to them.
    Anyway, if you decide not to do the meth, you can do the suboxone. Every doctor in the country that treats for this can be found on www.suboxone.com You can find name, number and address. This is great because I can get a months supply without leaving the house and only having to see him once or twice a month at most. I am not sure what I am doing yet(I am not sure if I am using the Sub. to detox or as a maintenance). The last time I got suboxone, I was less sophisticated and had to pay $250.00 for a week detox at clinic. This was a pain in the ass because you had to go everyday, and this place was in the main city 40 miles away. That time I was coming off of H and pills. I did not feel a damn thing, but this time I have no idea how long I will have to take the stuff to escape being behind the [8]of feeling withdrawals. I had no residuals from the first detox. Will I have any from this one? Has anyone out there every used suboxone to escape the withdrawals of meth, and if so, what was the minimun time it took taking suboxone and then not taking it to escape? It took 7 days last time. How long will it take this time before I can ditch the suboxone?[|)]Anybody with an answer, please share.

Lee Ace

withdrawalwar is offline New Member

Hello Shane,

Iwas wondering how may mgs. you were down to before making the switc to suboxone? Iam currently on a blind detox from 100mgs. I am very eager to make the switch to Suboxone but do not want to do so too early. Any info regarding this topic woul help.

Thsnks,
    Warren

hi karen, i read your post, i'm signed on on my husband's account, so this is not him, i'm not withdrawing from meth but he is trying to and as someone who loves someone who is going through this i really am starting to grasp just how difficult this struggle is and i just wanted to say that it is great that you are trying to get better. you'll be in my prayers girl. keep reaching out.

TomS is offline New Member

You do not have a disease. Do not let the "counselors" at the clinic tell you that you do. Do not let he sell you "incurability". Do not let them tell you that the best you can hope for is to make your life "manageable". You can attain abstinence, you just need to be detoxed comfortably.

Dont get me wrong - Methadone is a very useful drug, if you are not being encouraged to stay on it forever. I started in a clinic, knowing that the battle was purely physical for me - I had exhausted all the pleasure abuse had to offer, and just needed to stop without withdrawal.

Well, the clinic doesnt see it that way. They have this whole disease THEORY, and that's all it is - a THEORY, dont forget it. They call it "methadone treatment", the same way youd use insulin for diabetes. This is nonsense. I had to fight like hell with them, but they finally agreed to do it.

I am now down to 10 mg, and it's not painless. I did 5mg decrease a week, from 60 mg. But I know this - my saving grace is that I did not allow them to sell me that nonsense, and keep me on the methadone for an extended perios of time. If you havent detoxed in a year - it will only be harder.

The best thing about getting this low - is that my sex drive is back, ten fold. For all the time I was abusing H, my sex drive was depleted 100%, I never thought >> get it back. Good news - it comes back, with avengence.

Good Luck !

You do not have a disease !

Mel4help is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by cantstandit

About a year ago, I, abused methadone. I have tried everything to get off of this stuff. I hate it, I wish I had never done it, I just can't stand it any more. Cold turkey of course did not work as I experienced muscle cramps and restless limbs. I have tried gradually reducing the amount I've taken daily until I got down to down to little tiny grains a day but the muscle cramps that keep me up at night have never gone away. Finally about 3 weeks ago, I completely stopped taking even those tiny grains and keep expecting the cramps and restlessnes to go away. My nightly routine is made up of falling asleep, then waking up 30 minutes later with muscle cramps, take a hot bath, try to go back to sleep, take another bath, fall asleep, wake up 30 minutes later, and on and on and on until 4:00 am when I finally fall asleep. I am only getting about 4 hours sleep a night and am absolutely going insane.

It's been 20 days of little to no sleep, tossing and turning in bed. How long am I going to have to suffer this way until the restlessnes and muscle cramps go away? Does anyone know of anything that will lessen the cramps?

Thanks for your reply.
    Hi! This is my first time on here. It's sort of been a new awakening t realize That I am being controlled by something such as methadone. In the last couple of yrs., I have had a gradual decline. It was not prescribed for me, rather given to me by a friend who stayed with me and used to give me Oxy's. Her doc tripled her methadone when he took her off Oxy's so that was my "rent".She gets people hooked on her pills and then uses the pills to control us. I've let her steal from me , rob me blind, and let her stay cause I needed the done. At the time, anything that made me feel any way other than the way I was feeling worked for me. Congrats on your success with it. My kids' future literally depend on my success of quitting it. I had to go out of town to do clinicals in a mental illness nursing home for 5 days and had no dones. When I returned home, I had 5 days of withdrawals under my belt but still went straight to her house cause the thought of facing a 6th day of feeling like that was unbearable. Please, any advice that could help me get off these and still be there for my kids. I also fight anxiety and depression anyway and am in the middle of a divorce and ugly custody battle. It is a relief to be able to talk to others in similar situations. I've never been controlled by a substance like this before. Any input would be appreciated. Good Job for getting past it!!!

I would try and get on suboxone (suboxone.com).It will take care of the withdrawls and cravings then you wean down from the suboxone with little or no trouble.What your experieneing is PAWS post acute withdrawl syndrome and this can last for months or longer that's why I suggest the suboxone(buprenorphene).I garuntee you will feel alot better doing it this way.Methadone is a very powerful drug as you've found out and it has a long half life which is one of the reasons you need to get on the suboxone.Let me know how you make out and good luck......Dave

Hi. It has been some weeks since I have posted. My first post is on page one of this forum.

I was on 80 mgs. of methodone for pain. I had heard that it can cause irreversable heart damage and talked to my doctor about getting off the medication.

I started cutting down on my dose in July. Am now down to 5 mg. twice daily. It isn't touching the pain but will deal with this later.

I experienced horriable with drawerls for 6 weeks but am now feeling somewhat normaal again. I just wanted to share that the 5 to 6 weeks of feeling horriable are indeed true......

Good luck to all who are getting off this terriable medication....

Charlene McCreight

katz is offline New Member

i was given remoran for the mind kick and clanadine/clonapine fr the musce cramps gt pain and restless wannacutyourlegsoff leg syptems also soaking in the hottet bath 2-3 day helps major meth gets deep in your joints/bones and the hot water helps draw it out quicker if your at such a small dose got there uself i recomend 2hrs daytwice in hottest bath you can and couple joints if weed not a option 4 you then get legease from riteaid i used the 3 combned after ROD and it was after a year i coud sleep though night cramps not waking me and 4 me theweed was great 4 the nausa and lose of appitite and keepin what little sanity i had left good luck

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast