Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By whatsinaname
Methadone withdrawal for 10wk old from RSV
    Kdr885 is offline New Member

Default Methadone withdrawal for 10wk old from RSV

I have a 10 wk old baby who was admitted to the hospital for RSV, and ParaInfluenza. At the hospital he went into cardiac arrest. For several weeks, they had him on a lot of narcotics for pain management, and then onto methadone. We have just been discharged from the hospital and the methadone stopped, but they still rate him at a 7 on a scale of 1-10 for methadone withdrawals. Having very little help from the doctors, I am clueless how to help him cope. I notice he is always on sensory overload. All sounds, smells, textures, etc seem to pain him. It's not practical to avoid all the stuff that sets him off, but I would love some coping mechanisms to teach him, or even myself to better accommodate him so he isn't in so much pain. He is clenched up at the slightest sounds. I try and keep things quiet, but he has a twin, so it's hard to manage keeping another 10 week old hushed, in addition to two other kids. I am not sure if I over react by suggesting all people in the home keep curtains drawn, and tv really low, as well as voices? I try to research this topic, but it's difficult to do because it all comes back to babies born addicted, so treatment seems a little different, and that does not apply to my child. I was told it could take months for this to stop? Appreciate any and all advice. Thank you

icjoe is offline Member

The only real thing I can do it pray for him. I am really shocked they gave a 10 week old Methadone?!?!?!? From adults hooked on Methadone I know warm baths seem to help considerably. Please keep us updated.

Kdr885 is offline New Member

Thank you. I will increase baths, he does find them soothing. And yes, I was shocked to hear that was how he'd be treated. I then paid closer attention to other babies in the ICU, they seem to put them all on it when they ween them off of the pain meds

whatsinaname is offline Platinum Member

Wrap him tight in a blanket and swaddle him..... that's what a friend of mine had to do for her grand baby that was born addicted.
    Kdr885 likes this.