methadone & weight gain! Possible?
    tinamat is offline New Member

Default methadone & weight gain! Possible?

Hi. I've been on Methadone 40 - 50 mgs daily for 7 months. I've gained approx. 15 pounds during this time. Prior to 7 months ago, I was taking other opiates on & off for approx 5 yrs (due to medical problems). I NEVER gained weight from any other pain medicine--in fact I lost weight!
    On methadone, I am really gaining weight or I am just eating wrong and need to change my diet! Can anyone relate to this? Have you ever heard of people gaining weight just by taking Methadone (and a small amount at that!)???

Next question, is 40-50 mg in 24 hrs a LOT of medicine or a small amount? Just wondering IF I will experience bad withdrawls when its time to wean off them.

Thanks a lot,

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

There is no high or low dose just the right dose for you.I have had pharmacist's tell me of people on 1,000mgs of methadone a day and I know 20 year >>>>>> addicts that do fine with 80mgs a day.So whatever works is the right dose.

Methadone can cause you to have a sweet tooth.Avoid eating sweets as much as possible while taking methadone.Also you need to exercise regularily, like walking twice a day.Once in the morning and again after supper.Eat 2-3 meals a day and avoid binge eating.Have healthy foods for snack attacks like grapes or raisans,nuts ect....Good luck.....Dave

D4Ta is offline Member

Default yes.

Quote Originally Posted by mpvt View Post
    There is no high or low dose just the right dose for you.I have had pharmacist's tell me of people on 1,000mgs of methadone a day and I know 20 year >>>>>> addicts that do fine with 80mgs a day.So whatever works is the right dose.

Methadone can cause you to have a sweet tooth.Avoid eating sweets as much as possible while taking methadone.Also you need to exercise regularily, like walking twice a day.Once in the morning and again after supper.Eat 2-3 meals a day and avoid binge eating.Have healthy foods for snack attacks like grapes or raisans,nuts ect....Good luck.....Dave
    I agree, with any Opiate, the cravings for sugar enriched food can over take you that is for sure. have a look here: for more info if you like, http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...r/a682134.html
    good luck!

ttmhiggins is offline New Member

HI

Yes I have gained about 30 lbs in the past 2 yrs that I have been on methadone. I know that for me, the weight gain is mostly because of the intense sweet tooth that the methadone gives me. Especially in the middle of the night I wake up craving sweets hardcore. I cram a bunch of fattening food down and go back to sleep. I also don't get much exercise. I walk a few times a week but I know I need some good cardio. Also many people don't eat right or at all while on their drug of choice, then they get on methadone and even just eating 3 times per day is way more than your body is used to.

My advice eat as healthy as you can and get as much exercise as possible.

zenith is offline Junior Member

Methadone CAN cause a craving for sweets, as mpvt mentioned. With a careful selection of foods and adequate exercise, this can be controlled and does not have to lead to weight gain. And no, your dosage does not seem excessive.

Quote Originally Posted by zenith View Post
    Methadone CAN cause a craving for sweets, as mpvt mentioned. With a careful selection of foods and adequate exercise, this can be controlled and does not have to lead to weight gain. And no, your dosage does not seem excessive.
    Thanks for answering me! I appreciate your time and input. YES, I do crave sweets BAD! I didn't put that together with the methadone and weight gain, now that you made me aware, i will do my very best to control that!!
    Wow, my dosage does not seem excessive to you, huh? You made me feel a lot better, thanks. May i ask you this now: when taking methadone, does it block all other opiates from working? I've heard this---and was just wondering if its true. My doc has me on something for "break-thru" pain, and it seems to help me! I just don't get the "euphoria" anymore, which is fine.
    Thanks again.

Thank you very much for your input. I really appreciate it. I will definately contol the sweet tooth thing, like..... STAT! LOL I am going to have replacement sweet tooth snacks available. Not too sure just what yet, but I love fruits, so that is a choice! I also have really bad sweats! I hate that the most.
    Again, thanks & take care.

sammy312901 is offline New Member

Hi, Methadone u do gain weight on! I've been on it working on 6 six years! And i have and everyone I know has gained weight while on meth! 40 -50 milligrams is not a lot considering they start u out at 30 milligrams when u first start taking it at state clinic!! I take 120 every day! Any time u come down off meth is will take time if u come down to soon it will make sick! Talk to your dr. or clininc where u go!!

rahobby is offline New Member

Default gaining weight with methadone

well i have been on methadone for about a year and ahalf and i weighed 135 pounds at 5"7 now i weigh about 200 all because of methadone, methadone makes u really crave sweets and when u have a problem with the sweets ne ways its really bad. so when u think about i i gained almost 65 pounds in a year. and comming off the methadone is going to be very hard but when u get down to about 20 milligrams a day they can move u to suboxone which as i understand is much easier to come off of. most people that do get on methadone are lifers. especialy when u have med problems i have broke a disc in my back and have tendinitis in my ankles. so at 26 i feel like a 60 year old, so be careful because when i first started gaining weight i was happy cause i never could before and it just got out of hand now all i think about is how fat i am.methadone blocks u from feeling all other pain meds thats why when u go 2 the clinic they want u to go up the more u take the more likely u wont feel ne other pain meds 50 milligrams is nuthing i take 140 everyday but it also saved my life my family my husband is in law school who knows what would of happened if we would have stayed doing what we were doing. as long as u dont take advantage of it its a really good thing i havent touched ne thing since i statred and would encourage ne one that was serious about geting off pain meds to do the same.
    Last edited by rahobby; 07-09-2008 at 01:08 PM.

rnewton8 is offline Member

I gained wieght on methadone as well. It was mainly my diet which included to many milk shakes. I had a sweet tooth from it. As for the withdrawals, they are bad if not done properly. I was in jail and came off 90mg cold turkey and it sucked bad. But if you wean down properly, you should experience no discomfort at all to maybe a little at the very end. Plus, now they can switch poeple over to suboxone once thier methadone dose gets low enough and wean them off that instead because it is supposedly easier to come off of and has less severe withdrawals.

i.mfrustr8d is offline New Member

Default Methadone weight gain & sugar cravings

I have had back surgery but would need a 2-3 level fusion if I want to try and fix it for good (which still may not work) and so in the meantime I am forced to take Methadone 10Mg 4 times a day and I plan to change to something else asap because now I have acute edema that they say is caused by the Methadone - or from poss heart probs that this drug can also cause. But aside from the edema that I take high dose diuretic Lasix for, I have gone up two dress sizes even though I increased my workout even at risk to my back, to an hour and a half 4 -5 times a week which includes running which is only way I lose weight and nothing is working at all. I feel hungry all the time to the pt that my stomach feels like I am starving, I also cannot resist the sugar cravings I have now. I switched to another low dose med for one week to take a narcotic drug break and my hunger returned to normal.

I THINK DRUG COMPANIES LIKE THE MAKES OF METHADONE, PURPOSELY HIDE AND BURY AL COMPLAINTS OF WEIGHT GAIN, EDEMA, HEART AND LIVER PROBLEMS BECAUSE THEY WANT TO SELL THEIR DRUG AND DON'T WANT ANY NEGATIVE TRUTHS TO BE UNCOVERED. I WOULDN'T BE SHOCKED IF THEY ARE IN KAHOOTS W/ THE MAKERS OF LASIX WHICH BECOMES NEEDED AFTER LONG TERM METHADONE USE.

I.mfrustr8d in Seattle

I gaind 65lbs on methadone in less than a year! I went to a clinic that was very bad they seemed to have no care/concern for their patients just their $. Methadone made me crave sweets especially in the middle of the night. I never even liked sweets before methadone you must be very diligent(sp) in taking care of your body in everyway while on this drug. In my case it robbed me of all my energy, made me sweat all day everyday so I wouldnt even leave the house due to embarrassment and constant overheating, made me careless about anything, lost all interest in things I used to like, and seriously damaged my overall health. I have stomache problems now that I never had before among other issues I directly attribute to my use of methadone. Just be careful take care of yourself like you have never before. Personally the drug ruined alot of things in my life because I didnt know everything I just told you. I wish I could go back in time and change so much but that impossible. In regards to getting off of it, methadone was the hardest thing I have ever tryed detoxed from I couldnt do it and now I am on a suboxone taper. I am very hopeful this end my cycle of drug use. Even after my horrible experience I still beieve methadone has its place in pain management and addiction. If only the clinic were honest &informed and the drs informed. Good luck to you I hope you get what you need from it since I believe you are using it for pain control....just remember take care of youself, be informed, be your own advocate, and get 2nd opinions if you ? anything a dr tells you

ChicagoRay is offline New Member

Default To those with edema and perhaps eczema as well...

I also have been taking Methadone and in my case it's been over 5 years now and later into the illness for which I take it, MS (which causes me intractable pain that nothing before finding methadone would even touch in the least including dilaudid and Oxycontin which I hate), I began to get lower leg edema so bad it would make my shoes not even fit which was a BIG problem because I'm crippled and need a left leg AFO to even walk at all.

However after years of different doctors telling me this reason or that reason was causing it but yet despite the thousands in Dr's bills was never provided relief until I started also having another possibly related immunological response which manifested as eczema (also on my lower legs and strangely enough was symmetrical on both legs, where it was on my left shin it was also identically on the right shin). Beyond being very strange and inexplicable from my battery of doctors it was extremely discomforting not to mention very defacing and damaging to my skin there in those locations and others like my insides of my fingers and hands as well! Talk about miserable from head to toe!!.

I then finally met a dermatologist after also spending years seeing others' with absolutely no relief but many dollars spent on useless creams and appointments started me with a 50 mg shot of Kenalog, and both chronic ailments disappeared entirely within HOURS and that's NO LIE I SWEAR ON MY MOTHER"S GRAVE!

Since that time 2 years ago about every 5 or 6 months the two chronic ailments will raise their ugly heads and at first indication I go receive another shot and miraculously time after time it relents like clockwork. SO if you have either or both of those conditions which may or may not be from the methadone as no one really knows like I do, request the Dr do what mine did as described here and hopefully you too can get instant relief from those two miserable conditions.

Sadly our medical industry today has become so reliant on drugs and medications to survive there's really no incentive for doctors to cure anyone or try to as chronic ailments also mean to them regular customers and bill paying from BCBS or Medicare or what have you not to mention the thousands in co pays that also accumulate with any chronic doctor visits year after year

so don't let them say "NO" ... and if they do, then find someone who will administer the steroid shot and you will, I guarantee, find relief almost immediately for BOTH THOSE CONDITIONS. Two other friends with similar conditions had the same exact results as I after my giving them this same advice.

Good Luck and Godspeed.

leonal is offline Banned

Weight gain is not difficult task as compared to the weight loss. In weight gain we have to take the healthy food as much as possible but we should conscious in the process of the weight gain because we can also face the number of the others problem in the process of the weight gain.