methadone/vicodin
    sweetchikk05 is offline Banned

Default methadone/vicodin

Question, I am on 80 milligrams of methadone per day for opiate addiction, I have a killer toothache right now and my dentist prescribed vicodin, I have 2 questions, forst of all will the vicodin even work with me being on the methaonde?
    second, do you think my clinic will kick me out for taking the vicodins even though I need them for pain?
    Liz ann

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

The vicodin won't work at all.Keep the bottle and take it in with you when you go to the clinic next.Your better off taking advil really.Vicodins are **** even when your not on methadone but since your on a blocking dose you won't benifit from them at all.I took 1,000mg of morphine for my back and I didn't even know I'd taken it.Try the advil or Motrin I think you will be surprised,I was....Dave

painreducer is offline New Member

yeah ,probably just you off ,advil or ibprophen will probably help -im with M --even regular tylenol --and why doesnt the dentist know about your meth treatment

What you should probably do is inform all of your healthcare providers that you are on Methadone. If they don't prescribe an opiate alternative, they will suggest one. If you take opiates while on methadone, it completely reverses and trashes the goal of the methadone. Don't throw all that treatment away on accident! Check every medication you take with your doctor.

Jesus Christ will help you through. -Betsy

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Actually what will happen is you will just waste the opiates because the methadone will block the effects.That's why it's best to try Advil or Motrin or even Tylenol.....Dave

anastasia3976 is offline New Member

I'm going thru the same situation. I'm on 70mg of methadone daily and I got a script of vicodin for my toothaches. I couldn't even feel the vicodin, so I just take advil. Next week I'm scheduled to have all of my top teeth extracted and I am gonna be in some pain.

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

In all honesty, I was on methadone. At the time I was probably on 60-80. I had to have dental work and was given tylenol with codiene. Needless to say, it did nothing. When the dentist told me to take perscription strength motrin, I laughed (or cried, don't remember which)... Lo and Behold. The 4 at a time over the counter Motrin (or 2 if the higher dose is perscribed) worked wonders where the narcotic did not cut through the methadone at all. Go for the Motrin.

doc.rose is offline Advanced Member

Listen to NewYorkGal! She knows her stuff.

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

Thank you Rosie. I miss you much and apologize for being out of touch. Right now I'm in Va. babysitting while son is on the USS Enterprise out to sea. I'll be back in NY for two weeks IN two weeks then coming back here for 3 weeks, the final three weeks ever as he retires after 20 years in the Navy on Sept. 30, YAY FOR HIM. (and me lol). I promise to be in touch. I've been touchy and moody due to my own issues. Sorry for hijacking this thread for this personal post but I saw your post and just missed you.