Methadone taper
    tamara4U is offline New Member

Smile Methadone taper

Hi Everyone!! Some of you have read my questions/posts so know that i went from 35mg of methadone to 11mgs since Thanksgiving. I didn't initiate it; there was a computer glitch with my payment over that Holiday so no one in admin to fix it. By Monday, the computer had me down to 26mgs. I had some aches and pains,
    chills; by far the worst symptom was insomnia. But big deal. I used to be up for days and days at a time....
    In any event, the w.ds were proving soooo tolerable, what with daily exercise, wheatgrass, and Unisom, that i just kept expediting the process and wallah, here I
    am at 11mgs.
    Tomorrow I take it down 3 more. My goal is to be done by the end of the month. At the last 4 or 5mgs, I'm just going to stop. Cold turkey from there.
    I was so scared and freaked out by all the horror stories >> heard about the w.d's from methadone. For me, they just haven't come true. I feel so bad that I've been at the clinic for a five month methadone tablet habit (96mgs) for SIX YEARS. I'm only 45. I'm just glad my entire 40's won't be eaten up at the clinic, by a drug, and
    that I can honestly call myself clean and sober now (been off everything else since
    2006).
    I'm very greatfull for this site; when I was doubtful, and still scared (and let's face it, as I get down to the nitty gritty I'm still a little scared) and didn't know where to turn, I found this site and all the wonderful, encouraging people on it.
    To the women who've had children I'd say-- if you can be pregnant for nine months and have a baby!!!!!!!! you can get off substances. To the men-- if you've been with a woman at all you can get clean...hahahahaha

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

I just have one question for you Tammy. I take it you go tto a clinic and get the liquid methadone. Why jump off cold turkey at 5 mgs. when they can bring you down to 1 mg. I am really glad your w/d is minimal but it's the bottom 5 mgs. that get real tricky.It is usually suggested to take those last 5 mgs. 1 at a time. If you think you can do it your way, I give you all the credit in the world but as a fellow methadone addict (much longer than you and now off through subutex), it is just my suggestion to make it the easiest on yourself as possible.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

I agree. With using the liquid it's an exact science at that small dose. They should be able to do this with little or no w/d whatsoever. If you jump at 5mg you're going to get sick. It's a certaintly. Hope this helps. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

kellbell74 is offline New Member

Exclamation

They are SO right Tam, I was just there a couple weeks ago. Made it all the way down from 65 mg to 6. A few minor WD's but nothing I couldnt really handle as you've said. I was coming down about 4mg's a week too which according to most on this site, is pretty quick. Anyhow, got all the way down to 6 and thought, oh thats nothing. Hardly a couple drops in the cup and with Christmas coming and all, was tired of giving away 100+ bucks a week so took my last (take home) dose on Sunday. Was fine Monday, started feelin a lil bad on Tues and then Wed.......OMGOSH! I thought I was dying!!! Well I tried to hold out and believe it or not, I like to think myself a pretty strong person, but Wed. felt like a month long. By Thursday I was on the phone, found a doc after hours and hours of jumping through hoops and was taking my 1st dose of Suboxone @ 8pm that night. I just could not suffer ( or my kids) any longer, ESPECIALLY with the Holidays. A week later and I am the happiest (and most free) I have been in a loooong time. No longer a prisoner of pills OR that God awful Methadone clinic. I have family in several different states and travelling while on the MMP is the worst! We leave for Florida Tues and for the first time in a while, I will be able to go without being a slave to anything. Im in no way telling anyone that Sub is "the way to go", just that perhaps if I had tapered the RIGHT way, it may not have had to come to that. But I will say that I am so happy with how good (normal) I feel and really wish I would have switched a long time ago. My life is finally MINE again!! Took a couple days to get my dose right, but now Im doing great on 2mg a day. Florida here I come!!!
    Good Luck Tam, let us know how it goes!!

Hey Robert, if you happen to read this, I would greatly appreciate any words of wisdom.
    Ive been trying to find out from some of the "pro's" on here, just how long should I expect to stay on the Sub (Im sure my doc at $150 a pop is in no hurry ) and too, how do you all taper down by cutting doses in half? Everytime I cut my 8mg pills in 4's for my 2mg dose, they crumble and fall apart! Im doing the best to make sure each dose is the same but with each little bit making such a diff, I hope Im not screwing it up!!

Thanks to all for the help!! And Merry Christmas!!
    Last edited by ddcmod; 12-17-2010 at 11:49 PM.

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

Good for you Kell!! You got yourself stabilize on a nice low dose. So many of us listened to doctors who are happy to start us on ridiculously high doses of 16 mg. and even more which is almostt NEVER necessary. Doctors are also inclined to keep you on forever or close to that because it's a great money machine for them. I believe Robert would tell you like he tells everyone to cut down 25% of your dose every 4 days give or take so you're in a great place to be done pretty quickly which is important because sub is extremely addictive also. As for cutting them, I have the same problem and never take the same dose. Some swear by pill cutters, others say straight razors. Some crush the small doses and put the powder under their tongue. Wait for someone else to come on about tthatt issue as I think I've never taken the same dose two days in a row. It's a shame the pharm co. doesn't make the pills in smaller doses than 2 mg. Better to keep us hooked for long times on a lot of sub.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by kellbell74 View Post
    They are SO right Tam, I was just there a couple weeks ago. Made it all the way down from 65 mg to 6. A few minor WD's but nothing I couldnt really handle as you've said. I was coming down about 4mg's a week too which according to most on this site, is pretty quick. Anyhow, got all the way down to 6 and thought, oh thats nothing. Hardly a couple drops in the cup and with Christmas coming and all, was tired of giving away 100+ bucks a week so took my last (take home) dose on Sunday. Was fine Monday, started feelin a lil bad on Tues and then Wed.......OMGOSH! I thought I was dying!!! Well I tried to hold out and believe it or not, I like to think myself a pretty strong person, but Wed. felt like a month long. By Thursday I was on the phone, found a doc after hours and hours of jumping through hoops and was taking my 1st dose of Suboxone @ 8pm that night. I just could not suffer ( or my kids) any longer, ESPECIALLY with the Holidays. A week later and I am the happiest (and most free) I have been in a loooong time. No longer a prisoner of pills OR that God awful Methadone clinic. I have family in several different states and travelling while on the MMP is the worst! We leave for Florida Tues and for the first time in a while, I will be able to go without being a slave to anything. Im in no way telling anyone that Sub is "the way to go", just that perhaps if I had tapered the RIGHT way, it may not have had to come to that. But I will say that I am so happy with how good (normal) I feel and really wish I would have switched a long time ago. My life is finally MINE again!! Took a couple days to get my dose right, but now Im doing great on 2mg a day. Florida here I come!!!
    Good Luck Tam, let us know how it goes!!

Hey Robert, if you happen to read this, I would greatly appreciate any words of wisdom.
    Ive been trying to find out from some of the "pro's" on here, just how long should I expect to stay on the Sub (Im sure my doc at $150 a pop is in no hurry ) and too, how do you all taper down by cutting doses in half? Everytime I cut my 8mg pills in 4's for my 2mg dose, they crumble and fall apart! Im doing the best to make sure each dose is the same but with each little bit making such a diff, I hope Im not screwing it up!!

Thanks to all for the help!! And Merry Christmas!!

NYG is correct. But if you just started give yourself about a week at that 2mg dose so you're good and stable. Then drop to 1.5mg (25% of the dose for about four days) and continue that process. Obviously as the dose lowers so will the reduction proportionally.

You can eyeball these doses and be accurate enough. Under 1mg crushing a 2mg piece into powder is the easiest. Then a single-edged razor will work good to split the powder into four .5mg piles. Use a mirror or picture frame with glass. Those piles get so small that if you cut a .5mg pile in half to get to a certain dose I would put a Post-It note by the pile so you remember. I mean these piles are small. You just crease a business card or paper and pour it under your tongue. It's very simple.

Once you get down to between .25mg - .5mg you can start a day skipping process. We can talk about that then. Being on only 2mg to begin this shouldn't take over six weeks total including the skipping days. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.