Methadone is bad for you
    spikehudson is offline New Member

Default Methadone is bad for you

I want to apologise to anyone who gets offened but i am hearing to many good things about methadone. Methadone clinics are a way for businessmen to make money and alot of it. I have been using methadone for over 7 years and have tried to get off this stuff many times. I finally found a site that told me what i was doing wrong. Nutrition is the key, Dr. David Arenson has a site about methadone and nutrition, he tells you what methadone does to the body and why the body goes into withdrawals and it all makes sense, at first I was skeptical and leary but i went to the healthfood store and bought what he said to take I was at 120mgs per day now down to 45 and going down rapidly the longer i take the vitamins and amino acids the faster i can go down. Now I for one almost live only on what vitamins I take and have finally lost some of the weight that i have put on because of methadone. Its a degrading process to stand in line and wait for my daily dose, and the moment i told my counselor i wanted to go down they took away my priveliges i was only going weekly and when my counselor saw it was working he actually got me to try some other form of health food, so I switched it did not work like the former stuff and i found out that his friend made money selling monavie it was all a scam. Anyway I am back on the regular vitamins and will soon be off methadone in another month, you owe it to yourselves to read it and see if it will help you get off this insidious drug. Good luck to all.
    rich.
    just type in google methadone withdrawal and nutrition and it will be there

bev49 is offline Banned

I beg to disagree, Spike. Methadone is not wonderful, but for someone who is injecting drugs, risking AIDS, jail or death, it is a good and necessary alternative. All medical providers make money, meth clinics also. Is is extremely addictive? Yes..... But it has really helped alot of people hopelessly addicted to opiates. I think the best thing is not to stay on methadone for very long - just long enough to get on the right track and get your life together but I don't like it when people make a blanket judgment about any form of treatment..... Addiction is tough and whatever works is a good thing.

Sara420 is offline New Member

hmmm my boyfriend has been on methadone for 3 years and is starting to come down off it now (lowering his dosage). He's gone from 95mg to 80mg. I was just wondering, do you think he should quit cold turkey and eat well, take vitamins etc. or should he just keep lowering and lowering it, until he is at 0mg? Let me know..

Thanks

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Sara420 View Post
    hmmm my boyfriend has been on methadone for 3 years and is starting to come down off it now (lowering his dosage). He's gone from 95mg to 80mg. I was just wondering, do you think he should quit cold turkey and eat well, take vitamins etc. or should he just keep lowering and lowering it, until he is at 0mg? Let me know..

Thanks

There is NO way that he should abruptly stop taking methadone after three years and at that dose. It's medically dangerous to jump off cold at that dose not to even mention the hell he would go through. He needs to taper all the way to zero or else switch to suboxone after he gets down to 30mg. The taper down to zero is a little easier on suboxone than methadone. But either way he goes it needs to be a taper down rather than a cold turkey. Hope that helps. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

okay thanks, yeah i figured it'd be stupid to go cold turkey lol but I've been reading lots about how methadone is bad, dangerous etc. I'll let my boyfriend know that when he's down to 30mg, to switch to suboxone.

Denise13 is offline New Member

Lightbulb I agree!!

I needed to use Methadone myself. I gained 60lbs!! Never had acne in my life, it gave me horrible acne. I had incredible headaches also.
    I was only on it for 8 months. Was on 160mg's when I went off it. I used Suboxone for 3 days and I was fine!!
    I would suggest using Suboxone for opiate withdrawal instead of Methadone.
    Just adding my 2 cents
    I hope everything works out for you!!
    BlessedBe!!
    ~Denise

bev49 is offline Banned

Your boyfriend should ABSOLUTELY NOT quit methadone cold turkey from the dose he is on. It is next to impossible. He can either do what I did and switch to suboxone when I got down to 25 mgs. (they say 30 or lower is fine) or he should slowly detox from the meth at 5 mg. increments and then when he gets down to lower doses they can detox you at 2 mg then 1 mg. at a time (if you are on the liquid). Quitting methadone cold turkey is an abosulte recipe for disaster.

haha I know, just thought methadone over-all would hurt my boyfriend. That's awesome, I figured you gained a bunch of weight and got acne from it, cause my boyfriend used to be fit and now he's got a "beer" belly lol. He'll prolly lose that when he gets off this ********. Thanks for all the help guys!

bev49 is offline Banned

Sara, maybe your bf has a beer belly because he drinks too much beer. LOL. Just kidding. But methadone does not make people fat. Sitting around eating too much junk when you're on methadone and not running around after your drug of choice can make you gain weight. And the acne thing, that I never heard of. But a few pimples beats a cold turkey w/d from such a high dose, I swear to you. I see that Denise managed to get off from 160 mgs. in 3 days but that is not the norm. Maybe because she was on less than a year. I don't know but please let your boyfriend go slow and then make the switch to suboxone. Wonderful Robert is always here to help people get off that. He can do the eating well and taking vitamin thing at that point.

hahaha maybe eh =P but yeah it would be wayy better that he just slowly gets down to 30mg and then switches to suboxone. I was telling him what you guys were saying on here, and he thinks it's a really good idea too. Thanks for the help!! =D

breezymarie93 is offline New Member

Default hello

So I have a questions for anyone who may be able to answer them. My boyfriend has been on methadones for quite some time now Idk really how long its been going on because is was hidden before I moved in with him! When I relized what was going on I was very upset and I just wanted to get out I have watched people start out just taking a pills and becoming a major addict and I didn't want me or my child around it! He convinced me it was going to end and he was going to stop buying off the street and go to the doctor for something different its been about a year and he is still telling me the same damn thing I have been hearing for a year now. Will it ever end im sick of everything being hidden and all of the arguments.