Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
maximum of methadone before suboxone?
    boulonman is offline Junior Member

Default maximum of methadone before suboxone?

what is the absolute minimum dose of methadone you can be on before switching to suboxone? my doctor said the highest he ever gave anybody suboxone was 60mg of methadone but he didnt mention if it was succesful or not. i am at 64 mg of methadone now and am dying to give it up i hate how it feels not to mention the price and the ritual of going there every morning and seeing the lifers with their sad little boxes..i'm no better and am just as bad an addict but i would hate to end up like that and am willing to do anything..would i go through horrible withdrawls? i have some hydrocodone to help if it's worth it just to get over the worst of the worst in indeed the withdrawls are horrible...anybody that knows please, please let me know....much appreciated and god bless everybody...alan

amishgirl36 is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by boulonman

what is the absolute minimum dose of methadone you can be on before switching to suboxone? my doctor said the highest he ever gave anybody suboxone was 60mg of methadone but he didnt mention if it was succesful or not. i am at 64 mg of methadone now and am dying to give it up i hate how it feels not to mention the price and the ritual of going there every morning and seeing the lifers with their sad little boxes..i'm no better and am just as bad an addict but i would hate to end up like that and am willing to do anything..would i go through horrible withdrawls? i have some hydrocodone to help if it's worth it just to get over the worst of the worst in indeed the withdrawls are horrible...anybody that knows please, please let me know....much appreciated and god bless everybody...alan
    Hi there alan, to detox without feeling absolutely horrible-check into a 10 day rehab- the first few days they will put you on stuff such as phenobarbital - so you wont convulse and you will pretty much sleep. Most rehabs like to see you down at 40 mg. Once you are done with the first couple of days, they will put you on Suboxone at a high dose and drop you by day- once you get out, find a doctor that works with suboxone patients and he will put you on the proper dose. You will feel fine. Also wellbutrin with suboxone works very well. Wellbutrin is an anti depressant, and is used to help smokers quit smoking, but works for other addictions as well. Do Not switch to hydrocodone/vicodin> not the way to go. You are switching one opiate for another and will still get the "high"- .---Suboxone, being partial opiod, and partial opiod agonist will accomplish both- getting rid of the pain, but preventing Eurphoria. Do not attempt to get off methadone without medical supervision. Suboxone is the miracle drug for opiate dependent persons. I have heard all good news about this drug.

Thor283 is offline New Member

Alan,

Suboxone is NO miracle drug at all. It can actually become quite a nightmare in and of itself. I do think you will be better with Sub than with Mdone, but not as a maintenance drug. First of all, you have to switch to Subutex from Mdone, not Suboxone. Secondly, if you have pain, then Sub is not a great way to go, although it may be your only way. Buprenorphine (that's the naarcotic in Sub/Subx) does not kill pain very well. Nor will this stuff make you high, like Mdone does.
    It will get into your brain, and onto your receptors and will block the intoxicating, euphoric effects of just about any other drug. It will block Pot, and alcohol, as well as other opiates. I didn't try anything else. What's worse, if you stay on Bupe for more than 30 days you will need many months to taper off. The wds aren't as bad as with Mdone, but they last many months, even once you are off. Bupe is no picnic. It's best use is as a quick 15 day, or so, detox method. But once you are off it, stay off it.

Again I want to stress that Bupe will block the actions of almost any other opiate. The drs can over power Bupe, if you need surgery or something, but you will need massive doses of the other opiates, and you will not get so much as a buzz. Hopefully the other opiates will kill your pain, and make you sleep. If you need surgery. I needed surgery while on Sub. It was a problem.

I had minor surgery and I needed 360 mg a day of Morphine to keep me out of wds, and out of pain. The dr didn't really want to give me that much, as he was scared that much Morphine might kill me. I heard that even though I couldn't feel the Morphine, I could still OD and die from too much. I am a pain victim and this drug has been a nightmare for me. However, I was once put on Mdone, and that was a worse nightmare. I am now in a position where I need to go back on opiates for pain relief, but thanks to the Bupe my tolerance is so high I doubt any dr will give me enough narcotics to kill the pain. But that's my problem.

I think you have to be on no more than 40 mg of Mdone to make the switch. You do need a dr for this. Don't attempt it alone. Unfortunately Bupe drs are notorious for not knowing what they are doing. I'm telling you Alan, there's something strange going on with all this.

I am giving you a link to a board where they understand Bupe better than most drs. Go there and ask your questions. When you go on Bupe follow the advice of the people on this other board, not the dr.

But don't take my word for all this. Go here and spend a few hours reading and make a post.

God Bless you.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 06-15-2008 at 08:40 PM.

amishgirl36 is offline New Member

[quote]quote:Originally posted by boulonman
    Originally posted by Thor283well, for us Suboxone surely was the Miracle drug- I can only speak for our situation. Now, Buprenorphine is NOT the angonist portion of suboxone, it is the opiod component. Naxolone is the portion of suboxone that actually blocks all eurphoria of other opitates. After my husband got out of rehab for detox from methadone, he was on Nothing- he was suicidal and extremely depressed- the doctor put him on only 4 mg of suboxone along with 150mg of wellbutrin- within 3 hours he was feeling normal- not depressed, not feeling like he wanted to kill himself. Since then, he is back to work, and Not a couch zombie as he was on methadone. He is working outside, enjoying his hobbies again. And of course attending meetings (na meetings) so, suboxone for us surely was a miracle! thank God for this! if you have been opiate dependent for 20 years as my husband- and go to something that works, then the end justifies the means. As the program says, go with what works and Work it!- Example, I smoked ciggerates for 25 years, I now chew nicotine gum (another addiction?- sure) but at least i can breath, I dont stink, and my teeth are whitier and I dont get the lung infections like I used to. eventually I would like to taper off the nicotine gum, but right now, I am using what works. Go to www.suboxone.com for your information. take care and God bless

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

You need to get down to 30mgs of methadone and be stable before you can make the jump to buprenorphene.....Dave

Finally my pain is under control!!!!!!!

bpchep is offline New Member

When I switched from a year on methadone, I had to get from 75 mg dow to 30 mg or less in order to be considered for the program. I went one day without dosing (it was a breeze) and then put on suboxone (16 mg/day) unil the pain from a double compound fracture in my left ankle was healed enough as to cause me no more pain (a couple months. Then I asked the doctor to get me off the suboxone, and by folling his diections to the letter, I walke away from the program feeling like I had never been hooked on opiates. That was a year ago and I have no urge or interest in any opiates and I wont accept them at the emergency room or from my doctor. Remember, you can't be a weekend warrior. You have to want it badly, otherwis you will end up like thos poor souls with their lock boxes in the methadone line. There is nothing like being free from the grips of this insidious illness. You will smell the flowers and the trees again and hav nothing to be ashamed of. all the feelings of guilt go away. People trust you again, you can hold a job and become part of the American dream. There's nothing like it. It's like being born again or released from Hell.
    You must follow the directions as prescribed. If you feel a little uncomfortable coming off slowly, it only lasts for a few hours. Suboxone has an extremely short half life and is almost considered non-addictive as opiates go by the medical community. You and I are both addicts, and we will probably always be that way, and it will do you good to realize that. Yo have to give up the way of life and the so called friends that trigger your urges and find new friends that are clean and stay away from the old haunts. Find something to do with your free time, preferably something physical if that is possible. Oh, and one more thing, even if you are not religious, ask God for help. Sincerely. I did and many of my troubles evaporated before my eyes so to speak. He has been my great savior, maybe he can be yours to.

desperatewife is offline New Member

Hello, my husband has been a slave to methadone for several years. It kills me to see a 35 yr.old sit in a doctors office every couple weeks. He will spend his day off of work there. He has back pain and knee pain. But has yet to find a doctor to fix these problems. I honestly just think he likes the high he gets from the methadone.

desperatewife

Suboxone was never realy developed as a maintainance drug. It was developed as the most comfortable and shortest drug to detox from other opiates like >>>>>>, oxycintin, etc. I don't think I would approach a suboxone program with any other hopes other than getting off opiates and suboxone altogether in fairly short order. I have never herad of anyone having trouble getting off suboxone. To the contrary, many people think it works too well because you don't suffer through the very short withdrawal (almost unnoticable). The last time was the third time I was on it and came off with no ill effects after being on methadone for a year. I don't know where these horror stories are coming from, but once you are off of suboxone, don't ever touch another opiate. Ever. You will be fine, but your head has to be in the right place. you shouldn't be trying to get high on other opiates while you're on suboxone. Otherwise, wat's the point? Get off and stay off. Avoid trigger hangouts and trigger people. Occupy your time with something productive, like a job. Something to give you a reason to stay clean. It's the only thing that worked for me after 4+ years. Those of you that have been hooked on opiates for a considerably longer time must change the way you think and conduct your lives to stay clean. It's not a magic drug. You need to do your part.

quote:Originally posted by Thor283

Alan,

Suboxone is NO miracle drug at all. It can actually become quite a nightmare in and of itself. I do think you will be better with Sub than with Mdone, but not as a maintenance drug. First of all, you have to switch to Subutex from Mdone, not Suboxone. Secondly, if you have pain, then Sub is not a great way to go, although it may be your only way. Buprenorphine (that's the naarcotic in Sub/Subx) does not kill pain very well. Nor will this stuff make you high, like Mdone does.
    It will get into your brain, and onto your receptors and will block the intoxicating, euphoric effects of just about any other drug. It will block Pot, and alcohol, as well as other opiates. I didn't try anything else. What's worse, if you stay on Bupe for more than 30 days you will need many months to taper off. The wds aren't as bad as with Mdone, but they last many months, even once you are off. Bupe is no picnic. It's best use is as a quick 15 day, or so, detox method. But once you are off it, stay off it.

Again I want to stress that Bupe will block the actions of almost any other opiate. The drs can over power Bupe, if you need surgery or something, but you will need massive doses of the other opiates, and you will not get so much as a buzz. Hopefully the other opiates will kill your pain, and make you sleep. If you need surgery. I needed surgery while on Sub. It was a problem.

I had minor surgery and I needed 360 mg a day of Morphine to keep me out of wds, and out of pain. The dr didn't really want to give me that much, as he was scared that much Morphine might kill me. I heard that even though I couldn't feel the Morphine, I could still OD and die from too much. I am a pain victim and this drug has been a nightmare for me. However, I was once put on Mdone, and that was a worse nightmare. I am now in a position where I need to go back on opiates for pain relief, but thanks to the Bupe my tolerance is so high I doubt any dr will give me enough narcotics to kill the pain. But that's my problem.

I think you have to be on no more than 40 mg of Mdone to make the switch. You do need a dr for this. Don't attempt it alone. Unfortunately Bupe drs are notorious for not knowing what they are doing. I'm telling you Alan, there's something strange going on with all this.

I am giving you a link to a board where they understand Bupe better than most drs. Go there and ask your questions. When you go on Bupe follow the advice of the people on this other board, not the dr.

But don't take my word for all this. Go here and spend a few hours reading and make a post.

God Bless you.

http://www.>>>>>>-detox.com/forum.asp?FORUM_>>=4

Methadone only gets a person high for the first couple of weeks while their dose is being adjusted. After that, there is no euphoria. you just feel normal and you don't get sick. Many people use methadone to manage pain. some people stay on it for life. My guess is that you husbands pain may be legit. But he has to make the decision whether he wants to be chained to methadone for the rest of his days. There comes a time when th brain looses it's ability to manufacture it's own natural opiates and he may end up with no choice. Try talking to him and ask him what he wants to spend the rest of his young life doing. Living for methadone or living life as it was meant to be lived. You need to be involved. Yuor love for him and his love for you is a powerful drug in itself. Start now while he's still young. Don't wait for him to make his decision. Help him make the right decision. Love is the magic word in your case.

quote:Originally posted by desperatewife

Hello, my husband has been a slave to methadone for several years. It kills me to see a 35 yr.old sit in a doctors office every couple weeks. He will spend his day off of work there. He has back pain and knee pain. But has yet to find a doctor to fix these problems. I honestly just think he likes the high he gets from the methadone.

desperatewife

quote:Originally posted by bpchep

Methadone only gets a person high for the first couple of weeks while their dose is being adjusted. After that, there is no euphoria. you just feel normal and you don't get sick. Many people use methadone to manage pain. some people stay on it for life. My guess is that you husbands pain may be legit. But he has to make the decision whether he wants to be chained to methadone for the rest of his days. There comes a time when th brain looses it's ability to manufacture it's own natural opiates and he may end up with no choice. Try talking to him and ask him what he wants to spend the rest of his young life doing. Living for methadone or living life as it was meant to be lived. You need to be involved. Yuor love for him and his love for you is a powerful drug in itself. Start now while he's still young. Don't wait for him to make his decision. Help him make the right decision. Love is the magic word in your case.

desperatewife
    desperatewife

quote:Originally posted by bpchep

desperatewife
    desperatewife

Thor,

I swithced from Methadone directly to Soboxone, no Subutex. You can do it as long as you are below 30 mg of Methadone. Anything above that requires Subutex to avoid getting deathly sick.

quote:Originally posted by Thor283

Alan,

God Bless you.

http://www.>>>>>>-detox.com/forum.asp?FORUM_>>=4

Poppea is offline New Member

Re: detoxing off Methadone with Soboxone..I'm also considering Suboxone but my circumstances are somewhat different I think...I've already weaned myself down to 20-25 mg/day of meth & I'm just now starting to get uncomfortable & achy from the detox. I get 2 weeks' take homes so I detoxed myself from 60 to 25 in about 4 months, doing split doses which works ALOT better for me than 1x daily. But here's my issue: I have been on meth for over 15 years straight-a pretty long time. My question is, what is the quickest time I could be totally off everything-Meth, Suboxone...comfortably?..Since the meth stores in your body over time & I have been on it sooo long, would going from Meth to Suboxone & then off possibly be more painful for me?

roger69 is offline New Member

I know how you feel... That's why I chose Suboxone 2 months ago. I refused to go and be a "lifer" as you called them. ******************** standing in line EVERY FREAKIN DAY. I have a close friend who does that and it sucks for him.

I am on 16mg of Suboxone a day which cost me a bit more. My Dr appointment is $125 and I pay just over $300 for 60 8mg Suboxone tabs. That's a bit cheaper than the $175 to $195 per 30 at other pharmacies. Do what ever you can, just get the hell out of that clinic.

Alex Doc is offline New Member

Default how long should I wait

[I went from 80mg of methadone a month ago to 40 and i bought some suboxone to detox me from the methadone. my question is how long do you have to be off the meth until you can take the suboxone. I got my last dose 2 days ago , I hear many different rumors on how long you have to wait to dose with suboxone

jfbf411 is offline New Member

Exclamation a lot of stigma here... wow... would you rather be using ?

ok
    i've been on mmt for 13 yrs
    suboxone was not available when I got on mmt
    but statistics were

if you want to be off of drugs why would you be looking for a buzz?
    Methadone makes me feel normal... had suboxone been out when i got on mmt i would have opted for that..

it seems that methadone is getting the rap for what the government should be.
    The federal gov made the laws surround mmt. NOT methadone itself.
    I've really never seen so much stigma for a drug that is the most studied drug in the history of medication !

Methadone is not a perfect solution but, at the time when I got on mmt it was the best treatment available. 50-60% of patients on MMT using it properly do not use, have a normal life again, family, work etc...
    COmpare that with NA in which 3-5% are still coming to meetings and staying clean a year later !

My late fiancee(passed to cancer 5 yrs ago) and I were mmt advocates for many yrs. We had a board for mmt patients that had to deal with just this type of stigma every day.

Most clinics let u earn take home doses for staying clean. Usually within 9 months one earns 'tri-weekly' then another 6 months bi-weekly then a year weekly, etcc.. until you only need to come in once a month...

NOW that suboxone is available i am trying to slowly come down. I know that if one tries to come off of methadone too quickly that relapse potential approaches 100%.. ALWAYS talk to your counselor about how you want to de-tox if you want to get off or switch.

My problem is that I want to do it with as little pain as possible but the state I live in is SO adverse and unwilling to LEARN about methadone OR suboxone OR any treatment besides TWELVE STEP(blech) that hospitals will not help you get down or just get off and then switch.

I'm very frustrated about this.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW LONG ONE WOULD HAVE TO BE OFF OF METHADONE COMPLETELY BEFORE GETTING ON SUBOXONE ????

REMEMBER THERE ARE FOLKS THAT ARE ON MMT if they choose to stay on a dose that works for them for the rest of their lives... then that is THEIR choice...

calling them 'lifers' or 'losers' is one in the same. My late fiancee was a 'functional >>>>>> addict' for 30+ yrs. He worked for the phone co as a lineman and had a home etc.. The last 7 yrs of his life he was on MMT and NEVER USED during those years. He had to pick up his take homes twice a month.

I guess he was a 'lifer'...but i'm very proud of him. And when he had cancer, hospice took care of him with what morphine he needed. I can't imagine needing as much as the person said above. He had liver cancer( no he didn't drink) and did not need nearly as much. And, yes, cancer is very painful. He had >>>>> blanche with his morphine.

Of course we are much older than some of these kids posting. So with age comes wisdom and respect for others.

Anyhow, if someone knows the amt of time needed to get off of methadone b4 getting on suboxone, I'd appreciate the knowledge since they won't do this in the hospital here I'm going to do it at home.

I know very well how difficult it will be as I did 30 days in one of the 2 counties in this godforsaken state that doesn't dose mmt patients.

HELP

THANK YOU

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

You need to get down to 30mgs a day of methadone (or less) and you have to be stable.Once you've been stable at 30 mgs for awhile then you take your last dose of methadone say on Sunday am.You should wait until the withdrawls get as bad as you can take.With methadone it usually takes 5 days before you really start to feel bad.
    The doctor will usually start you around 12-16mgs a day.It takes about a week to find the right daily dose usually quicker.The average daily dose is 8-12mgs.There is a saying with suboxone and that's "less is more".Because it is a partial agonist it will put a addict into precipatated withdrawls if you take to much.I have had people say to me that they are taking 24mgs a day and they feel terrible.I tell them to cut it in have for a few days.They write back in a few days delighted with the way they feel.So you have to keep that in mind that it's not like morphine were you can take 1,000mgs at a time and expect to get a buzz.Suboxone will not give a "buzz" but it will leave you feeling normal with no withdrawls or cravings...Good luck.........Dave

metro6996 is offline New Member

Default My first experince, today from Methadone to Suboxone

Today is my first day taking Suboxone. I hope this will help some of your questions since I was terrified changing over to Meth to Suboxone thinking that I would go into major withdrawals from not waiting long enough. So I will tell you a little about me and my first day experience.
    I am 34 male 5’10” 180. I was taking 13mgs daily of methadone for the last three months. I started Methadone 3 years ago at 80mg and began slowly weaning for the last year to the present, 13 mg. Before Meth I started using opiates for 3 years first Hydro that led to Oxy that eventually led to intravenous >>>>>> use of $100-150 a day. My last dose of Methadone was on Tuesday at 8:00AM. I waited 53 hours (Thursday 1 PM) to take the 2mg Suboxone tab. I took it and paced my home waiting to feel the effects of either major withdraws or relief from the moderate withdrawals I was already in. 20 mins. went by and nothing really, 30min I’m starting to feel better, maybe a little. After 45 mins I felt…. FINE, NORMAL! PRETTY GOOD ACTUALLY! More importantly no perceptive withdrawals thank god. Its giving me no euphoric effects (I don’t feel high and lazy!). So far so good, and its 5:40PM. Tomorrow I plan to take ½ of a tab (1mg) since it has a 36 hour half life. Then the day after that I plan to take a whole and see how that works then so on and so on. (this is how my Dr prescribed it) The plan is to wean off of it in the next 1 to 2 months. I will let you know how it goes from here. Feel free to email me with questions I would be more than happy to discuss, anchorsteam@live.com. I’m so grateful not having to go to the DISGUSTING METHADONE CLINIC! Good luck to all!

ehutch is offline New Member

Default need advice switching from meth to suboxone

ive only been on methadone for less than 3 weeks on and off, but used it daily for the past week. my dose this past week was 30 mg tues and wed, 40 mg thurs and fri at a clinic i just started but i added about 15 mg on my own each day since the clinic started me on such a low dose. before this week i was using some meth on my own about 2 weeks time trying to taper with a bottle i bought from a friend. it was really 2 spirts of about 3 days starting myself at 50 and bringing myself down by about 7 a day. i want to stop the methadone and begin suboxone. my last dose of meth was friday morning (40 mg), i began using >>>>>> again for a few days to put some distance from my last meth dose. this morning was 72 hrs since my last dose of meth and also was 20 hrs since my last dose of herion. i was planning on beginning the suboxone but although i was feeling kinda nautious, i think i should have been feeling much worse (sweats etc) so i chickened out and used more >>>>>> since i think i might need to wait longer than the 72 hrs from my meth dose. can anyone tell me how long i need to wait until i can SAFELY begin the suboxone. i had a bad experience with the suboxone once before and am petrified on starting to soon. PLEASE HELP. I WANT DESPERATELY TO GET CLEAN.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by ehutch View Post
    ive only been on methadone for less than 3 weeks on and off, but used it daily for the past week. my dose this past week was 30 mg tues and wed, 40 mg thurs and fri at a clinic i just started but i added about 15 mg on my own each day since the clinic started me on such a low dose. before this week i was using some meth on my own about 2 weeks time trying to taper with a bottle i bought from a friend. it was really 2 spirts of about 3 days starting myself at 50 and bringing myself down by about 7 a day. i want to stop the methadone and begin suboxone. my last dose of meth was friday morning (40 mg), i began using >>>>>> again for a few days to put some distance from my last meth dose. this morning was 72 hrs since my last dose of meth and also was 20 hrs since my last dose of herion. i was planning on beginning the suboxone but although i was feeling kinda nautious, i think i should have been feeling much worse (sweats etc) so i chickened out and used more >>>>>> since i think i might need to wait longer than the 72 hrs from my meth dose. can anyone tell me how long i need to wait until i can SAFELY begin the suboxone. i had a bad experience with the suboxone once before and am petrified on starting to soon. PLEASE HELP. I WANT DESPERATELY TO GET CLEAN.

Its my suggestion that you give it 72 hours to be sure. Others may say less than that and it might take less for some people, but 72 hours is what will work for everyone. It's also what the medical community recommends. And you really need to stop jumping back and forth between the >>>>>> and methadone. It just makes this whole thing more confusing for your body especially when you add suboxone into the picture. You also need to be at 30mg or less of methadone prior to beginning suboxone. Dont jump from 40-50mg or you will likely have problems. Good luck.

Default meth to suboxone continued

as i said in my first post, i only used methadone for a span of 3 weeks, not every day during that period except for the last 4 days. probably 12 days total meth use but my dose was between 40 t0 60 for about 6 of those days. i have now not had any meth since friday morning (96 hrs). how long do i need to wait before i can begin suboxone. i appreciate the above post but you contradicted yourself saying 72 hrs on one hand but then saying there will be problems above 30 mg. i need to know how i can handle THIS SITUATION. i did go above 30 mg but it was only for short time and like i said, i only used methadone for less than 3 weeks total. COULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW LONG I NEED TO WAIT BEFORE SAFELY BEGINNING SUBOXONE. THANKYOU FOR YOUR TIME.

as i said in my first post, i only used methadone for a span of 3 weeks, not every day during that period except for the last 4 days. probably 12 days total meth use but my dose was between 40 t0 60 for about 6 of those days. i have now not had any meth since friday morning (96 hrs). how long do i need to wait before i can begin suboxone. i appreciate the above post but you contradicted yourself saying 72 hrs on one hand but then saying there will be problems above 30 mg. i need to know how i can handle THIS SITUATION. i did go above 30 mg but it was only for short time and like i said, i only used methadone for less than 3 weeks total. COULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME HOW LONG I NEED TO WAIT BEFORE SAFELY BEGINNING SUBOXONE. THANKYOU FOR YOUR TIME.

There is absolutely NOTHING contradictory about what I said. You need to be under 30mg of methadone before you go 72 hours without it as well . Both the amount and the time are critical factors in making the switch successfully.

If you want to begin on the suboxone do it. It's been over 96 hours and you didn't use methadone for very long. But you were also continuing to play with the >>>>>>. You can't do that. You haven't followed any type of regimen whatsoever. You've used while trying to be clean from the methadone.

I am not judging, just stating the facts as you have presented them. All I can tell you is try it and see what happens. I don't think anyone can tell you exactly what will be guaranteed to work with the way you have done this.

Default meth to suboxone continued

i am not "playing with the >>>>>>". the reason i started using it again was only to put some time (72hrs/96 hrs) between my last methadone dose. when i begin the suboxone, i will be sure and wait 18 to 20 hrs since my last >>>>>> dose. i am certainly not trying to insult you when i said you were being contradictory. i was on methadone for a short time period (maybe 2 or 3 weeks tops) but my dose did go above 30 mg. i averaged about 30 but there were a handful of days (maybe 6) where i had taken 50 or 60 mg. i am nervous and unsure when to begin suboxone because although i am currently at 96 hrs away from the methadone, my meth dose DID EXCEED 30 mg. please understand my concerns. im deathly afraid of a presipitous withdrawal and just wish to be sure i do not start to soon. how long does methadone stay attached to the brain receptors? i cannot change what my meth dose was 2 weeks ago. i just need to know how to proceed with the facts the way they are. thanks for your help, i do really appreciate it.

i am not "playing with the >>>>>>". the reason i started using it again was only to put some time (72hrs/96 hrs) between my last methadone dose. when i begin the suboxone, i will be sure and wait 18 to 20 hrs since my last >>>>>> dose. i am certainly not trying to insult you when i said you were being contradictory. i was on methadone for a short time period (maybe 2 or 3 weeks tops) but my dose did go above 30 mg. i averaged about 30 but there were a handful of days (maybe 6) where i had taken 50 or 60 mg. i am nervous and unsure when to begin suboxone because although i am currently at 96 hrs away from the methadone, my meth dose DID EXCEED 30 mg. please understand my concerns. im deathly afraid of a presipitous withdrawal and just wish to be sure i do not start to soon. how long does methadone stay attached to the brain receptors? i cannot change what my meth dose was 2 weeks ago. i just need to know how to proceed with the facts the way they are. thanks for your help, i do really appreciate it.

If you haven't used methadone for almost five days you will have no problems with that. But in my opinion, and that is based on experience and what I have personally seen repeatedly, most >>>>>> addicts need 72 hours. Some people say 36 hours, but I have seen people go into precip w/d at 36 hours. That is a fact. 18-20 hours is not even reasonable in my opinion. It's impossible to guarantee the minimum time you will need off the junk. I can only tell you what I know will work. I don't want to tell you 20 hours should work when it probably won't. You may be successful making the switch after 12 hours. Who knows??? I do know if you give it 72 you will be fine and won't have precip w/d.

The methadone can affect your receptors for a good month. Methadone has a tendancy to linger with us for a good while. But the suboxone will get us past this with no problems as long as we don't jump off too soon. Have to give ourselves long enough on suboxone to at least get beyond all detox side effects.

There is one other thing that you might do considering how confusing your drug use has been lately. Go to the following link I will provide. This is a PDF of a COWS worksheet. COWS is clinical opiate withdrawl scale. This is what drs use to determine if patients are in serious enough w/d to begin suboxone. You need to be objective when you do this and don't cut yourself too much slack. Go EXACTLY by what the sheet says. If you look at the bottom it gives you a way to determine if your score dictates making the switch. This is the only way I know to tell you a way you might figure a shorter time to be okay with going on the suboxone. Good luck.

http://www.suboxone.com/pdfs/OWR.pdf

You need to have an accumulative score on the worksheet of at least 26 before starting the suboxone.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 08-19-2008 at 04:04 PM.

scott4251 is offline New Member

I have been shooting >>>>>> for almost 2 weeks now. I was wondering if it would work, if I stopped, switched to methadone and just take 10 to 20 mg a day for just a day or so till the >>>>>> is outta my system, then switch to suboxone. And please don't tell me it's not a good idea or anything, I just wanna know if it will work, and preferably a response from someone who knows for a fact if it will work or not, like u or someone u know has tried the exact same thing. And remember I have only been shooting for almost 2 weeks and I'm only talkin about takin 10 to 20 mg methadone a day for just 1 or 2 days then switching to suboxone.

Thanks,

Scott

scott.. taking the methadone would be the worst thing you can do. you will get very sick. just stay off >>>>>> for a good 18 hrs, more if you can stand it but 18 should be safe. then start the suboxone.

Default bad link

robert, thanks for the link but it does not work and takes me to a blank page.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast