Long Term Meds for Anxiety??
    nebulous1 is offline New Member

Default Long Term Meds for Anxiety??

What does one take for long term anxiety disorder?
    I can't make it without drugs.
    I have gone on drug holidays, and I am so anxious, I have low level panic attacks constantly, can't sleep, racing thoughts, shaking hands, my voice trembles. I was fired from 2 jobs for not being confident and appearing as incompetent. When my anxiety disorder is high, I literally cannot focus on what is front of me. It is like I go blank.
    I take Benzos as needed, but what does one do for long term care?
    Benzos aren't supposed to be used for years, and I become intolerant of them, then I have to go off them, then back on...yikes.
    I don't want any sleeping pills or real sedating drugs like Seroquel.
    Just something that takes the anxiety reactions away.

Zombie me out.

Mike VG is offline Senior Member

Smile My Opinion

Clonazepam or Xanax.
    Mike VG

Default Neither for long term usage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike VG View Post
    Clonazepam or Xanax.
    I take Clonazepam (Klonopin) but if you read the manufacturer's information, it is not to be used long term. Same with Ativan.

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

You're right about benzodiazepines not being effective for chronic conditions.They were designed for acute attacks .
    Are you seeing a phsycologist or some kind of doctor for your anxiety.
    I think you have the right idea about drugs not being the long term answer and that gets proven time and again.The other thing is benzodiazepine addiction is one of the worst.As a matter of fact that and alcohol withdrawl can actually lead to death and must be medically monitored.
    So I would stay away from the benzo's unless you absolutely have to.Find a good phsycologist that you feel comfortable with.You would be amazed at what these people can do for you.Good luck and I wish you the best.Hang in there...Dave

Default I am not amazed at what they do....

Quote Originally Posted by mpvt View Post
    You're right about benzodiazepines not being effective for chronic conditions.They were designed for acute attacks .
    Are you seeing a phsycologist or some kind of doctor for your anxiety.
    I think you have the right idea about drugs not being the long term answer and that gets proven time and again.The other thing is benzodiazepine addiction is one of the worst.As a matter of fact that and alcohol withdrawl can actually lead to death and must be medically monitored.
    So I would stay away from the benzo's unless you absolutely have to.Find a good phsycologist that you feel comfortable with.You would be amazed at what these people can do for you.Good luck and I wish you the best.Hang in there...Dave
    I have no insurance and I spent approximately $1000 dollars of my own money to try several therapists. It was hard to find a psychologist, because the field is dominated by social workers!
    Every single one I went to told me things I could read free in books I have, such as "Think Positive". I don't see how this sort of talk can command $100-125 dollars per hour for their services. They aren't even doctors and they charge more than my family physician.
    I got so tired of the circus. It takes forever to get in to see one of them, and when you do, they seem so helpless at helping you. I told one all about my anxiety disorder and panic attacks, and she just sat there. Didn't do a thing. Didn't care, and didn't have any solutions or ways to fix it. I told her, when I paid her, that I felt like I was being robbed and filed a complaint.
    I hate to trash a whole profession, but something really has to be done about these people, who have a lot of accreditations behind their names, but aren't really helping anyone.
    I have been 5 therapists, counselors, whatever you want to call them, and they can't help with anxiety disorder. I am very solution oriented, so I shouldn't have to be there asking them for a solution and trying to pry it out of them. I got the feeling with all of them, that they didn't really know how to turn all of this around. I think that profession should be regulated, and they should not be able to take someone's hard earned money without giving something for it. I wasn't looking for an "ear" or someone to listen. I wanted someone who had real answers and understood medically what this is about. I shouldn't have to explain GAD to them.
    I don't have anxiety disorder for no reason. I have been through some really stressful things in the past 3 years, and bam, bam, bam, one right after another.
    Generalized Anxiety Disorder isn't something you can think away. It is a physical reaction(s) to stress. The Benzos are allowing me to function at my job. Without them, I am a mess. I am not even on a high dosage. If I was not on the Benzos, I would be fired again, and I have lost 2 jobs because of the anxiety disorder.

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Hi Nebulous1:
    That's to bad that the system is the way it is down there.No way should a social worker be the first contact for a problem such as your's.
    I don't know if you have been to this site but it is an extremely popular site, http://www.non-benzodiazepines.org.u...ine-forum.html .These guys\gals are very uptodate and are there to help.I really hope you can find a solution to your problem......Dave

Mike VG is offline Senior Member

Default Xanax

I was wrong about the clonazepam, I should know better since I'm taking it.I've been taking it for 8 months though--makes you wonder about the medical establishment. However, my Mother has been taking Xanax for 15 years and my Doctor's Mother has been taking it for 10 years. It is a benzodiazepine and it is very addictive. I hope that helps in some way. Take care. Mike VG
    Mike VG