Liver and Kidneys after painkiller abuse
    tmo76 is offline Member

Default Liver and Kidneys after painkiller abuse

I think everybody who is addicted should get their kids and liv checked. I had blood work done two weeks ago and my doctor said everything is normal. Is it safe to say my kidneys and liver arent damaged? The only bad things that I did was popping pills and smoking cigarettes,beleive it or not I never drink.
    Regardless I think everybody who is addicted to this poison should get blood work done and keep their health in check...

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by tmo76 View Post
    I think everybody who is addicted should get their kids and liv checked. I had blood work done two weeks ago and my doctor said everything is normal. Is it safe to say my kidneys and liver arent damaged? The only bad things that I did was popping pills and smoking cigarettes,beleive it or not I never drink.
    Regardless I think everybody who is addicted to this poison should get blood work done and keep their health in check...

I would never argue with getting health check-ups. Only a crazy person would say that is wrong. Everyone should stay on top of their bodily functiions, that's just being prudent. But the liver is very resilient, probably more so than any other organ in our body.

Opiates are metabolized in the liver and while we can show very high numbers on our blood work related to the liver functions while using, in a reasonably short time after being clean it usually resumes to a normal level. Of course if we never stop using there can be a high price to pay for that decision. The main group of people who need to really watch the liver is those who used opiates by injecting them.

Over the years almost everyone I ever knew that injected opiates on any kind of a regular basis long term ended up with hep C, or some type of long term liver damage. Other than that most pill heads have livers that have resumed to their normal levels once they were clean for even a reasonably short time. Livers are a tough organ.

Kidneys are not affected to a great degree by opiate use as I said, they are mostly metabolized in the liver. Of course alcohol abuse is a different story as it affects our entire body with long term abuse. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

hope full is offline Member

tmo - what kind of pills were you taking? if you were taking something with apap or acetaminophen in them it would be a good idea to do a liver and or kidney flush - I had a friend who heavily abused lortab for a year straight and ended up in the hospital with liver failure and kidney stones - robert is right - the opiates alone will not do much damage to your kidneys - the apap and acetaminophen can depending on what dose and how much water you drink - glad you are ok
    as I try to make my way to the ordinary world, I will learn to survive