Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Anonymous
Life after suboxone, how do you feel?
    xguntherc is offline Member

Arrow Life after suboxone, how do you feel?

I'm just looking to hear some peoples stories, or thoughts, or just how things are in general. How your body is now, stuff like that.

Doesn't really have to be a after sub story, but after any addiction i guess. I'm just aiming more at suboxone because that is what I am quitting. I feel like I have lost much if not most of my determination, I also feel like I've gained a little weight and that would go along with no determination to go ride my mountainbike etc..

I also feel like nothing ever makes me angry, or upset anymore. I'm not one to get that way in general, and maybe that is a good thing, but I swear ever since I've been on sub nothing really upsets me. Even issues with a girl, or anything. I've had girls ask why I never get mad about anything. lol. I have also read that opiates cause short term memory issues, and that suboxone can keep that going right along with everything else. So I'm wondering if I will have a little better memory after I quit? I know I did a lot of stupid drugs from 17-22 yrs old so that could be part of it. Now 3 years into subs I'm finally stopping.

Basically I'm just hoping to hear some peoples stories on general feelings, attitude, drive, determination, any of those things after getting off suboxone. Obviously some might have depression issues. I've never been one to be depressed so I'm not worried about that. But the rest I'd love to hear.

Thanks!

no one feels like sharing huh.. lol. It's ok, most of us here aren't in the best moods until clean.

Anonymous Guest

xgun..........
    Oh gosh....don't think that.....two hours ago this place was being posted all over the place.....lots of situations going on. I didn't go the sub route.....but have some friends who did, and the general feelings seem to be fight through the malaise.....just like everything, and eventuallly life just keeps getting better and better.
    I'm sure you've seen Henry posting around lots and he's a shining example of life after subs......
    More will be on later after dinner......kids, etc.
    Later!
    Marian
    jboss10 likes this.

Thanks for the reply.. I'll take what I can get at the moment. you are right about just pushing through it.

It's not all that bad, just tiring, I'm ready for it to be over, to feel normal and calm and relax on the couch.. all that. Today is where I should be taking my last dose after having skipped 4 days on sub. I'm just debating pushing through without.

I don't wanna dose again today and feel the same way for 4 more days. lol. it's not bad but it's getting old. Ya know?

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by xguntherc View Post
    Thanks for the reply.. I'll take what I can get at the moment. you are right about just pushing through it.

It's not all that bad, just tiring, I'm ready for it to be over, to feel normal and calm and relax on the couch.. all that. Today is where I should be taking my last dose after having skipped 4 days on sub. I'm just debating pushing through without.

I don't wanna dose again today and feel the same way for 4 more days. lol. it's not bad but it's getting old. Ya know?
    x-gun,
    Sure, I understand.....always the temptation to hurry hurry it up......but those that did it properly, including the skipping seem to in the long run have the best success stories.
    No reason for you not to join them.
    Fight the impulse to just quit the taper ........ you seem to have done so well so far.....stay with the program!
    Getting off the subs is just the start of your story......so might as well be in the very best place when you move along......I don't know how many times I've read.....this is not an event.....but a process!
    No need to sabatogue a successful taper at this point!
    So hang in there and follow it to a T.
    That's what those most successful have done!
    Later!
    Marian

Anonymous Guest

I know your originally asked about people coming off of subs and then added or just clean off of anything, I will be 5 weeks off of roxies on Saturday and used subs intermitantly for the past year as well. You will start feeling normal, it just takes time. The good part of subs is that they let you feel "not high" before you actually jump so the change-over isn't as harsh. Time heals all, corny I know, but oh so true. I still don't sleep straight thru the night, time drags on sometimes and occasionally my stomach bothers me, but its nothing I can't survive. Maybe I'm not the right person to talk to as complete sobriety is still new to me, but remember - it can be done! You just have to really really want it and everything will come together for you! I still get cravings, but its not terrible! Just be patient and try not to worry about the future too much, as hard as that is to do! Just take things as they come, adapt and react. You will be fine. Probably not much help, but I wanted you to know you're not alone!

yezdegerd is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't try and put a timeline on it, especially based on other people's experiences. It didn't take a day to become an addict and it won't take a day to quit. You got through the detox and now you just need to keep your best foot forward. Always remind yourself that you'll never be able to take "just 1", as an addict IT IS NOT POSSIBLE! Addiction is a progressive disease. That means while you may not be actively using your addiction is lying around somewhere pumping iron and getting prison strong, just waiting for you to slip up!

jboss10 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by shadowwally View Post
    xgun..........
    Oh gosh....don't think that.....two hours ago this place was being posted all over the place.....lots of situations going on. I didn't go the sub route.....but have some friends who did, and the general feelings seem to be fight through the malaise.....just like everything, and eventuallly life just keeps getting better and better.
    I'm sure you've seen Henry posting around lots and he's a shining example of life after subs......
    More will be on later after dinner......kids, etc.
    Later!
    Marian
    I agree with Marian. It's been over 3 months for myself and things are going good! The first month is just well..harsh. You body is adjusting and it takes a lot of time for this process. I was depressed during the first month but that was just because of withdrawal. It took me a solid I'd say 6-8 weeks to feel good. I still have some motivational issues especially with getting back into my music work. Determination goes a long way my friend. If you want it you will do whatever it takes to maintain it. This obviously differs greatly from person to person. You will know what's best for you when the time comes, trust me. Malaise, lethargy all of that eventually subsides and differs from person to person depending on what that person does to help reduce those symptoms. Get back on the mountain bike, get into the gym. I've always been a workout nut and it took me about 2 months to get back into the gym. Once I did it made so so so much of a difference in all around quality of life. The gaining weight part is so common. I did and once you get exercising it will go away. No worries there. Just be the strong individual you are and stay determined/focused. You got this!

Your Friend,
    Jboss
    "But there's no need to pretend, no need for innocence. I've got to be honest now"

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jboss10 View Post
    I agree with Marian. It's been over 3 months for myself and things are going good! The first month is just well..harsh. You body is adjusting and it takes a lot of time for this process. I was depressed during the first month but that was just because of withdrawal. It took me a solid I'd say 6-8 weeks to feel good. I still have some motivational issues especially with getting back into my music work. Determination goes a long way my friend. If you want it you will do whatever it takes to maintain it. This obviously differs greatly from person to person. You will know what's best for you when the time comes, trust me. Malaise, lethargy all of that eventually subsides and differs from person to person depending on what that person does to help reduce those symptoms. Get back on the mountain bike, get into the gym. I've always been a workout nut and it took me about 2 months to get back into the gym. Once I did it made so so so much of a difference in all around quality of life. The gaining weight part is so common. I did and once you get exercising it will go away. No worries there. Just be the strong individual you are and stay determined/focused. You got this!

Your Friend,
    Jboss
    Jboss;
    glad to hear you are doing so well! Remember back when..... Wow that struggle through the motivation was tough.....but we did it! No matter what we were on we all had to climb that mountain! For me, the better weather help so so so much! Everything I love to do is outside.
    So there you go, x-gun, another true success, we all get there, some at different times, but we get there and it is so worth it!
    The weight gain as well is no problem.....I lost tons coming off the patches and have been eating healthy, but so much its' amazing without gaining a pound. We have to fuel up to fight few....working on getting some muscle back. summer is a great time for me to do that. B4, seemed like I had no motivation and life was kinda blah! Now there's so much to do there's not enough hours in the day!
    I enjoy it all!
    Marian

HenryNCBA is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by xguntherc View Post
    I'm just looking to hear some peoples stories, or thoughts, or just how things are in general. How your body is now, stuff like that.

Doesn't really have to be a after sub story, but after any addiction i guess. I'm just aiming more at suboxone because that is what I am quitting. I feel like I have lost much if not most of my determination, I also feel like I've gained a little weight and that would go along with no determination to go ride my mountainbike etc..

I also feel like nothing ever makes me angry, or upset anymore. I'm not one to get that way in general, and maybe that is a good thing, but I swear ever since I've been on sub nothing really upsets me. Even issues with a girl, or anything. I've had girls ask why I never get mad about anything. lol. I have also read that opiates cause short term memory issues, and that suboxone can keep that going right along with everything else. So I'm wondering if I will have a little better memory after I quit? I know I did a lot of stupid drugs from 17-22 yrs old so that could be part of it. Now 3 years into subs I'm finally stopping.

Basically I'm just hoping to hear some peoples stories on general feelings, attitude, drive, determination, any of those things after getting off suboxone. Obviously some might have depression issues. I've never been one to be depressed so I'm not worried about that. But the rest I'd love to hear.

Thanks!
    You can try looking at my thread of what it feels like after 6 months clean and later in the thread after 1 year. http://www.drugs.com/forum/need-talk...tml#post282525

Henry

wow Thanks for all the replies in here. It's about time we get a little action going. haha!

Jboss, thanks for your reply. So you are 3 months clean of sub? well done sir.

I'm not gaining weight, I've been loosing a little over the last week or so, but that will probably change as time goes on. But I see myself going out more, riding my bike more, things like that and I wont be sitting home eating junkfood (Always want chocolate after my sub) haha.

Ahh, see now I'm really torn, as today is day 4, after going 3 days before that. and I feel pretty good today. Like better than most days. I thought day 4 would be the worst, but it's just like all the other days, very mild discomfort although I have more motivation today and I've been doing all sorts of errands today and I'm about to head out before it gets dark. (It's 6 in vegas) and go do a few things. Go get some supplies from REI for my Gran Tetons trip in June, stuff like that. I just see no reason to take another dose today, or any day. lol.

I might do a sliver, small small dose tonight just to do it and stick to the taper, and it might help me sleep. then I am DONE with this ish! Booya's!

oh and jboss, 6-8 weeks huh. My first time I quit a 160MG Oxy addiction with a week's worth of suboxone and I didn't feel ?????? for more than 2 weeks. I'm hoping it is the same here, but then again, I've been taking subs for 3 years.