Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Robert_325
  • 1 Post By surfdog
  • 1 Post By Robert_325
  • 1 Post By surfdog
  • 1 Post By NewLifeFoundation
  • 1 Post By ARTIST658
Life after detox, I feel I'm going insane.
    BlackBirdFly is offline New Member

Exclamation Life after detox, I feel I'm going insane.

Hello all, I'm starting this thread to discuss any tips or advice for going through PAWS ( post acute withdrawal syndrome). This is my second opiate detox, I'm though the physical part and have slept for the first night only using herbal tea I've been taking klonopin for about three years as well, and if any of you have been here you might know that it DOES NOT help while stopping opiates. So I don't feel it helping me, does that mean I'm withdrawing from it too? My poor loving bf, I'm afraid will not love me anymore after putting up with all this roller coaster of emotions and craziness, he's the only one I have to talk to, and he now feels he has no one to talk to. It's a mess and I know it takes time. I'm having about two episodes a day, the rest I suppress somehow, by God's good grace actually. So now I have about four days until I start my new job at a fast paced restaurant and well, my brain doesn't work. Awesome. So I'm freaked out and terrified and have literally no one who understands an ounce of what I'm going through. Any support on the subject would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sincerely,
    Crazy

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBirdFly View Post
    Hello all, I'm starting this thread to discuss any tips or advice for going through PAWS ( post acute withdrawal syndrome). This is my second opiate detox, I'm though the physical part and have slept for the first night only using herbal tea I've been taking klonopin for about three years as well, and if any of you have been here you might know that it DOES NOT help while stopping opiates. So I don't feel it helping me, does that mean I'm withdrawing from it too? My poor loving bf, I'm afraid will not love me anymore after putting up with all this roller coaster of emotions and craziness, he's the only one I have to talk to, and he now feels he has no one to talk to. It's a mess and I know it takes time. I'm having about two episodes a day, the rest I suppress somehow, by God's good grace actually. So now I have about four days until I start my new job at a fast paced restaurant and well, my brain doesn't work. Awesome. So I'm freaked out and terrified and have literally no one who understands an ounce of what I'm going through. Any support on the subject would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Sincerely,
    Crazy

You're not going through PAWS you're in detox. Tell me in detail how you are stopping the klonopin. Have you just stopped cold? Give me some details and perhaps I can help you. God bless.
    BlackBirdFly likes this.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

surfdog is offline Senior Member

listen to Robert i agree that this is not PAWs Dog
    BlackBirdFly likes this.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Almost everyone thinks they are going through PAWS and the truth is that it happens to very few people in reality. It's rare in fact. You don't get well in a week after abusing drugs for a long time. That doesn't equate to PAWS. God bless.
    BlackBirdFly likes this.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Thank you Robert for your reply, I stopped taking opiates - second time detox, percocet for 5 months this time. This first time a few years ago, it was faaaaar worse. I weaned myself down to 30-40 mgs and then had to stop. It's been 12 days now I think. I normally take Klonopin everyday too ( not quitting that at this time) but it won't work at all, or at least I don't feel it helping me like it usually does. So I was thinking that I was withdrawing from klonopin since my body isn't accepting it. PAWS seems like it fits the description of what I'm going through at this time. It seems to be mental symptoms.....incredibly disruptive would be an understatement. I cry, I get frustrated and confused over absolutely nothing and the smallest problem feels like the end of the world. So you think I'm still in detox? Any idea how long til my anxiety meds work again or why they're not? I was prescribed the percs for ovarian cysts, but thought I wouldn't become dependent again, which was pretty stupid. Thank you for your help Robert. ps I'm still taking normal dosages of my klonopin, one time during this I took three instead of one and it still did nothing so I'm just taking it as prescribed 1mg 2 x daily hoping it will help.

sincerely,
    Becca

surfdog is offline Senior Member

Blackbird, we tend to be over emotional for a while. Once the feeling starts to reappear and we have been numb emotionally seems we feel everything more intensely. There are variaibles due to all of us being different biologically. This settles it just takes time. The brain just like any other organ takes some time to heal. Klonopin is a benzo and part of what you are experiencing could be side effects of the meds. Were you Rx the klonopin?Do NOT just stop taking the Klonopin as this could be dangerous. Let Robert taper you down. Hang tight you can do this Dog
    BlackBirdFly likes this.

NewLifeFoundation is offline New Member
    We are located in northern Thailand, near Chiang Rai.

Hi, my name is Julie. I detoxed from daily alcohol, heavy daily Valium, and Codeine 4 1/2 months ago at a Buddhist monastery.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 07-06-2012 at 04:49 PM.
    BlackBirdFly likes this.

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Dear Blackbird,

This is the emotional roller coaster of new recovery. PAWS is not only rare, it doesn't generally occur until months past the initial detox. The extreme symptoms that we experience immediately after we stop using are called “acute withdrawal.” PAWS (POST-acute withdrawal syndrome) symptoms reach a peak from three to six months after we get clean.

When we're addicted, the drug becomes our #1 crutch to deal with just about any difficult emotion. When we take away the drug, we're left without a crutch, and it can feel overwhelming. The real work of recovery is what will help you through this; the 12 steps are an excellent tool for developing the skills you need to develop healthier coping skills.

The opiates have wreaked havoc with our bodies, our minds and our nervous systems. It takes TIME for these things to heal. ANY drug use during the first 2 years of healing will set back the healing process of the nervous system to the beginning.

The klonopin is a dangerous drug, and must be tapered off slowly, to avoid seizures. As long as you continue to take the klonopin, you are still keeping the key in the ignition of your addictions. This is another crutch, used for dealing with anxiety. Again, we have to learn how to navigate life - with all it's emotions - without using a substance to get us through it. As long as we continue to take any mood-altering addictive drug (such as klonopin), we remained plugged into our addictive way of life. In other words, staying on the klonopin is NOT advisable, if you want to remain clean and sober.

Klonopin is going to mess with your thinking, your emotions and your memory. It is not recommended for long-term use, and was intended for use under 3 months. Klonopin is NOT advisable for anyone with a history of drug addiction, given its highly addictive potential. By the way, long-term use of benzo drugs has been shown to produce the opposite effect from what is desired; it can actually increase our anxiety.

God bless,
    Ruth
    BlackBirdFly likes this.

You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.

Thank you Ruth, Robert, Julie, and Dog. I appreciate your input and advice. It's so nice to have people that have been or are going through the same thing. I know I should not be on the Klonopin, which is and always has been prescribed by a Dr. and not abused. I'm supposed to take it twice a day, I usually take a half or so every few days, before this recent opiate detox. It's the next thing I WILL kick. It's such a dangerous drug, had I known 3 yrs ago I never would have taken it. I've practically read all of the Ashton Manual. Klonopin is not good. Julie I am glad to hear that you are in recovery, and wow in Thailand. Props that's amazing. I wish I could take more time for myself, unfortunately I can't afford to. So I'm doing my best with an organic diet, supplements, exercise, and prayer.Sorry let's not forget the support and love from all of you : ) It seems from all I have researched about Klonopin that I have to gradually wean myself off, which I plan to do over 6 months or a year. However long it takes to do it safely, I don't want to do more permanent damage than I all ready have done to my brain by taking this stuff in the first place. Unfortunately I will use klonopin for a crutch throughout this next month, I can't afford to screw this new job up, it's crunch time and it all of a sudden started working again yesterday and I was able to start the first part of my testing. I think it was God's will that the klonopin started working again yesterday morning. The night before I wrote a note and my bf caught me trying to take a handful of tylenol pm. Which is so not me, looking back on it I cannot believe what I was doing, seeing the words I wrote, it's like it wasn't even me writing. I just felt that overwhelmed, I saw no end in sight. I'm usually the bouncy happy little blonde working on everyone else's life, pleased to help anyone. And I did that sober. This last opiate bout was prescribed for only 5 months and I thought for sure I would not be dependent. Smart one I am. I feel like as long as I can talk about it, and hear other people talk about it I'm gonna be okay. If anyone knows how to taper Klonopin specifically, I am all ears.

Lots of love,
    Becca

123becku is offline New Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBirdFly View Post
    Thank you Ruth, Robert, Julie, and Dog. I appreciate your input and advice. It's so nice to have people that have been or are going through the same thing. I know I should not be on the Klonopin, which is and always has been prescribed by a Dr. and not abused. I'm supposed to take it twice a day, I usually take a half or so every few days, before this recent opiate detox. It's the next thing I WILL kick. It's such a dangerous drug, had I known 3 yrs ago I never would have taken it. I've practically read all of the Ashton Manual. Klonopin is not good. Julie I am glad to hear that you are in recovery, and wow in Thailand. Props that's amazing. I wish I could take more time for myself, unfortunately I can't afford to. So I'm doing my best with an organic diet, supplements, exercise, and prayer.Sorry let's not forget the support and love from all of you : ) It seems from all I have researched about Klonopin that I have to gradually wean myself off, which I plan to do over 6 months or a year. However long it takes to do it safely, I don't want to do more permanent damage than I all ready have done to my brain by taking this stuff in the first place. Unfortunately I will use klonopin for a crutch throughout this next month, I can't afford to screw this new job up, it's crunch time and it all of a sudden started working again yesterday and I was able to start the first part of my testing. I think it was God's will that the klonopin started working again yesterday morning. The night before I wrote a note and my bf caught me trying to take a handful of tylenol pm. Which is so not me, looking back on it I cannot believe what I was doing, seeing the words I wrote, it's like it wasn't even me writing. I just felt that overwhelmed, I saw no end in sight. I'm usually the bouncy happy little blonde working on everyone else's life, pleased to help anyone. And I did that sober. This last opiate bout was prescribed for only 5 months and I thought for sure I would not be dependent. Smart one I am. I feel like as long as I can talk about it, and hear other people talk about it I'm gonna be okay. If anyone knows how to taper Klonopin specifically, I am all ears.

Lots of love,
    Becca
    Go directly to BenzoBuddies site on the web. It even has a separate forum for Klonopin withdrawal. I live there now that I am off opiates. It is a long haul process, so build the courage to stick to it.