Results 1 to 17 of 17
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By scrapman57
  • 1 Post By megatron0727
Lexapro and Amitriptyline Withdrawal
  1. #1
    Sorjuana is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    6

    Default Lexapro and Amitriptyline Withdrawal

    Hi, everybody. I sought out this forum because I decided to wean myself off of Lexapro and Amitriptyline - mostly because of the weight gain and because I would like to be "clean" in about a year so I can try to conceive again. Unfortuntately for me, I've had problems with anxiety/depression since I was in college...I'm now 32 and have a wonderful little girl and a great husband.

    I called my psych about four weeks ago and told her I was going to wean off of the Lexapro...I didn't tell her about the Amitriptyline. I weaned off both meds (10mg. Lexapro, 10mg. Amitriptyline) for over a month, using The Road Back. I have been off my meds completely for 11 days and can't sleep, have anxiety and am feeling down. The thing that scares me is I can't separate whether how I'm feeling is withdrawal, or if it's "how I am" off these meds and I should go back on.

    I went to my psychologist yesterday and she was angry/surprised that I went off the Amitriptyline too (T.S. I say). I asked her before I went on the meds if they cause weight gain. She said "no". Since I've started them, I've gained back all of the pregnancy weight that I lost on Weight Watchers...about 30 lbs. Since I haven't been able to sleep from Amitriptyline withdrawal, that has put a real damper on my mood too. My doctor prescribed Ambien CR for me and told me that it is non-habit forming. I googled Ambien CR and withdrawal, and it certainly seems to me that it IS habit forming and has just as much hellish problems as the other drugs during withdrawal.

    My question is this: how long is it going to take to get rid of these withdrawal symptoms - how long before I can distinguish what is the withdrawal and what is "me"?

    My doctor says the Amitriptyline should only be in my system for 10 days...it's been 11 and I'm having a very hard time. I haven't had the brain zaps like I usually do when withdrawing from medicine (most likely due to the Omega 3's that I'm using), but the anxiety/sleeplessness is really killing me (the Tart Cherry doesn't put a damper on my anxiety). I hope to not start taking the Ambien habitually because I want to be drug free - last night was my first night on it and I am OUT OF IT today.

    Thanks to anybody who's taken the time to read this. Any help/comments/suggestions would be SO nice to hear as far as how long it takes to get these meds out of my system. I'm feeling quite alone in this little private hell caused by these meds, crying, laughting, anxiety, hyper, etc. I feel like I'm riding a rollercoster and don't know when it's going to end..

  2. #2
    theguy is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    3

    Default

    check out this e-book about paxil withdrawal. It seems to she some light into what really happens with withdrawal. I am on celexa and I have come off. The road back can be tough at times and depression and anxiety are withdrawal effects coming off.

    http://paxilprogress.org/pdf/Paxil-W...Guide-2005.pdf

    I wish you well.

  3. #3
    oldhen is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    , , USA.
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Hi I am new too but just wanted to tell you- I think you were very smart getting off the Amitriptyline. I was on it too and did I put on weight- I couldn't get enough sweets. I have always been tiny but now because of it I am having one heck of a time taking it off.

    I had him put me on something differt and he chose Prozac- I love it I finally feel normal and they say its supposed to make you lose weight. At least I don't have ANY cravings.

    Best of luck


    oldhen

  4. #4
    annbaker1 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Hi ! I was just wondering how you came out with your withdrawal to the amitriptyline. I, too, am having a terrible time with not sleeping.

    Could you let me know if you were successful getting off it and if your weight returned to normal.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Valerian root is supplement that can be found in the vitamin aisle that helps with anxiety. It's not habit-forming, and from what I know is safe to take while pregnant. I hope this helps you guys. You'll be in my prayers.

  6. #6
    confusedvette is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    40

    Default

    I took 25 mg of amitriptyline 2 night s in a row.I woke up nervous and anxious and paced the floor for an HOUR each night to get rid of the anxious feeling it caused.....and that was just taking TWO pills!

  7. #7
    athayer is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1

    Default

    I didn't like the way I felt taking the Amitriptyline. I was up to 125mgs at bed time. I had asked my DR several times about my taking this med. I was taking it with Topamax 100mg. Topamax drug interations has the Amitriptyline listed as the first med not to mix with it. I tried to tell my DR about this and she said it was safe. Everytime I said something she said something about me being depressed and uped the med. I finally got her to change it on 10/09/09. I'm supposed to be going on Effor XR, but I Googled it and it is a much more dangeruose drug. I have decided not to take it. I've been off the Amitriptyline for 8 days and I've had really bad headaches,somachaches and nightmares. I didn't have any of these problems before I evertook this med so I assume it's with drawls. I never thought it would be this bad. I keep praying that it gets better. I just hope it's soon. I took some Naproxan yesterday and it was the first time I had a little relief from my headache. Todayit's back and so far the Naproxan hasn't helped. I too can't seem to find any releif from with drawls just like Sorjuana. For me I just pray a lot. That's all I know to do. Without prayer I know I'd go crazy and my family wouldn't be able to stand me. I get emotional very easialy and everyone thinks I'm mad at them when I'm not. Hope everyone trying to get off this med makes it. The best of luck to you all.

  8. #8
    confusedvette is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    40

    Default

    I would not stop taking 125mg of amitryptyline cold turkey...you are asking for problems....in my opinion

  9. #9
    gmps is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2

    Default success!

    I just weaned myself off of amitriptyline and it took about 3 months because I had to do it very slowly. Still feeling a bit nauseous now that I am totally off about 2 weeks now. In the last month about 7 pounds melted away! My new doctor told me it is a cheap medication and it makes people fat. So that's why now I'm off. 99.9% of doctors out there are throwing medications at sypmtoms and almost nobody is getting well. That is because there is a root problem and the doctors know nothing about fixing the whole body. Go to this forum: "the definitive mind" and see what others with similar problems are doing to get fixed. Really fixed.

    Good luck and you CAN get well!

  10. #10
    Pegz001 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1

    Default Weight and Amitriptyline

    I have just discovered in the last two days that Amitriptyline makes you fat. Been on it just over one year for Fibromyalgia and pain management. Couldn't work out why I was putting on so much weight as I have been lean all my life. For the first time ever I have fat on my arms and ribs. The weird thing was I was/am exercising and it hasn't been making any difference. Even gave up alcohol 3 weeks ago because my weight gain was getting me depressed. Also, from the moment I went on the drug my taste preferences changed from savoury to sweet which was completely weird.

    I am so coming off this drug and am so peeved that the doctor never told me about the weight gain side affect. Can't believe how fat I am and I kept saying to my husband, something isn't right, this doesn't feel like my body.

    My question -- yes I do have one now that I have completed my rant -- is can I come off this drug cold turkey or should I ease off? I've only been on 10mg per day.

  11. #11
    gmps is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Ease off by a 1/4 of a tablet every 2 weeks. Yes, it will take a while but you'll feel sick and horrible if you don't. Before you know it you'll be off and the weight will melt away and you'll remember your old body! My weight did not reduce until I was down to the the last 1/4 tablet and even more when I was completely off. So don't panic when it doesn't come off right away. Stick to it!

  12. #12
    kkareem1952 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1

    Default Amitriptyline withdrawl

    I've been coming off of amitriptyline and I just called the pharmacist today to ask if my insomnia could be caused from the withdraw. He said 'Yes, it will take around 15 days for the withdraws to go away. I have been taking it for 9 years and was up to 100 mg., started getting too many side-effects so had to go off it. The doctor started me on Cymbalta. It's only been 6 weeks since I started taking that, so I didn't know if my sleep problem was withdraw or caused from the Cymbalta. I'm glad I called the pharmacist.

  13. #13
    melt855 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pegz001 View Post
    I have just discovered in the last two days that Amitriptyline makes you fat. Been on it just over one year for Fibromyalgia and pain management. Couldn't work out why I was putting on so much weight as I have been lean all my life. For the first time ever I have fat on my arms and ribs. The weird thing was I was/am exercising and it hasn't been making any difference. Even gave up alcohol 3 weeks ago because my weight gain was getting me depressed. Also, from the moment I went on the drug my taste preferences changed from savoury to sweet which was completely weird.

    I am so coming off this drug and am so peeved that the doctor never told me about the weight gain side affect. Can't believe how fat I am and I kept saying to my husband, something isn't right, this doesn't feel like my body.

    My question -- yes I do have one now that I have completed my rant -- is can I come off this drug cold turkey or should I ease off? I've only been on 10mg per day.

    Yes If your on 10mg you can just stop, I have been on amitriptiline for 7 years started on 25mg and then was up to 50mg was having a rough time for awhile weaning down but then got down to 25 and now I'm off 3 days now, my replacement to sleep is a benedryl and 2 melatonin to sleep, so far so good. Just asked the doc the other day about how to get off of amitriptiline and he told me to just stop so I did. Now I'm hoping for all of the weight that I put on from this stuff to melt away. Like 20 lbs worth.
    Last edited by melt855; 08-11-2010 at 05:42 PM. Reason: mispelled

  14. #14
    flstfrider is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1

    Default Runny nose with withdrawal

    Hello everyone,

    I have been on amitryptiline at 150mg for 18 years, and like so many of you I gained enough weight that I went from a size 30 to 38 jeans. I have no energy and the slightest amount of exertion makes me sweat like a pig.

    I have weaned off 3 weeks ago and I was wondering if anyone has also had a bad itchy/runny nose and itchy/watery eyes and terrible mood swings. These have been my worse symptoms, but I too have headaches, insomnia, and depression/feeling lonely.

    Thanks for any info at all.

  15. #15
    Wileykit is offline New Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1

    Default hayfever!!

    Quote Originally Posted by flstfrider View Post
    Hello everyone,

    I have weaned off 3 weeks ago and I was wondering if anyone has also had a bad itchy/runny nose and itchy/watery eyes and terrible mood swings. These have been my worse symptoms, but I too have headaches, insomnia, and depression/feeling lonely.

    Thanks for any info at all.
    I worked out after 2 years on amyltriptyline that it acts as an antihistamine - look it up. So did you get hayfever before the drug? You may have it now. I'm withdrawing from 25mg and am down to 17.5mg. I did go down to 15mg but upped it again as spent 6 hours crying yesterday and then started again when i went to bed. I think reducing a quarter of a tablet every 2 weeks is a good plan (if they meant a quarter of 10mg tablet). I've been reducing by a quarter every week but think this is probably too quick. Its only got harder in last two weeks..

  16. #16
    scrapman57 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sorjuana View Post
    Hi, everybody. I sought out this forum because I decided to wean myself off of Lexapro and Amitriptyline - mostly because of the weight gain and because I would like to be "clean" in about a year so I can try to conceive again. Unfortuntately for me, I've had problems with anxiety/depression since I was in college...I'm now 32 and have a wonderful little girl and a great husband.

    I called my psych about four weeks ago and told her I was going to wean off of the Lexapro...I didn't tell her about the Amitriptyline. I weaned off both meds (10mg. Lexapro, 10mg. Amitriptyline) for over a month, using The Road Back. I have been off my meds completely for 11 days and can't sleep, have anxiety and am feeling down. The thing that scares me is I can't separate whether how I'm feeling is withdrawal, or if it's "how I am" off these meds and I should go back on.

    I went to my psychologist yesterday and she was angry/surprised that I went off the Amitriptyline too (T.S. I say). I asked her before I went on the meds if they cause weight gain. She said "no". Since I've started them, I've gained back all of the pregnancy weight that I lost on Weight Watchers...about 30 lbs. Since I haven't been able to sleep from Amitriptyline withdrawal, that has put a real damper on my mood too. My doctor prescribed Ambien CR for me and told me that it is non-habit forming. I googled Ambien CR and withdrawal, and it certainly seems to me that it IS habit forming and has just as much hellish problems as the other drugs during withdrawal.

    My question is this: how long is it going to take to get rid of these withdrawal symptoms - how long before I can distinguish what is the withdrawal and what is "me"?

    My doctor says the Amitriptyline should only be in my system for 10 days...it's been 11 and I'm having a very hard time. I haven't had the brain zaps like I usually do when withdrawing from medicine (most likely due to the Omega 3's that I'm using), but the anxiety/sleeplessness is really killing me (the Tart Cherry doesn't put a damper on my anxiety). I hope to not start taking the Ambien habitually because I want to be drug free - last night was my first night on it and I am OUT OF IT today.

    Thanks to anybody who's taken the time to read this. Any help/comments/suggestions would be SO nice to hear as far as how long it takes to get these meds out of my system. I'm feeling quite alone in this little private hell caused by these meds, crying, laughting, anxiety, hyper, etc. I feel like I'm riding a rollercoster and don't know when it's going to end..
    hi, i have been on amitriptyline for a very long time and just recently i stopped taking them. i to. cant sleep and when i do i suffer very bad dreams all the time,
    rosco 58 likes this.

  17. #17
    megatron0727 is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1

    Default Getting off Amitriptyline

    I went from being 5'1" and 112 (and that's after having 3 children) to 138lbs. That's a BMI of 21.2 (5lbs away from being underweight) to 26.1 (5 lbs overweight)! I have always been a skinny minni then now to whatever THIS is. I even did P90X and am still chubby. I am going to go off 10mg a week, which is how I went on and take the melanin preemptivily. I was taking this medication for migraines and to be honest I would rather have them 2-3 times a week then be fat. My husband and I have always been fit and he has 6.5% body fat so next to him I just feel like a chubby blob. And this is for depression? Geez, that will up your mood! Maybe this is what Santa takes and why he is still jolly and works 1 day a year. Anyway this is NOT working for me! I think this is what I weighed when I was 8 months pregnant! Ick, not worth it. It also makes me SO tired in the morning I often get my kids breakfast and fall asleep in the couch for another hour or two, I physically can not help it. They are 2,4,and 6 and need a present mom. I agree with prayer being the best thing to help you through this. If you believe that than you will believe that "He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it." Philipians 1:6
    rosco 58 likes this.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22