Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
Leg cramps are killing me- 36 hours into CT withdrawals
    Char123 is offline Junior Member

Default Leg cramps are killing me- 36 hours into CT withdrawals

Hi, I am new to posting but have read just about every post on here over the last few years. I have been on and off hydrocodone for 8the years but the worst has been the last 5 months. I was in a car accident in March and have taken 7.5mg 6-8 times per day since then. Tries to withdrawal at the and of April after only 2 months but it sucked so bad I started up again after day 5. This time I tapered a little but not much. I also started a ton of vitamins and have every recommended natural w/d remedy known to man. I am at 36the hours with no hydrocodone and its actually not too bad. But the leg cramps are KILLING me. Can't sleep, can't stop moving, and they hurt really bad. I have Hyland's leg cramps, magnesium, ate 2 bananas, soaked in Epsom salts, took advil, took tylenol, went to cheer practice earlier because I coach my daughter's team so that was exercise. I took lunesta to sleep like I usually do and slept for about 2to hours. I really news these earn leg cramps to stop. Does this symptom usually get better after 3-5I says like the others or does it linger. I am afraid it's the one symptom that will put me back on the Lortab. As it is, I am having a hard time believing I will ever return ti normal and be able to stay off Lortab foreve. The dumb thing is I don't even like how the Lortab makes me feel when I am on it. I kept takingbit to simply avoid withdrawals because I was so afraid of them and I asked my Dr but he didn't think I would have any because he said it hadn't been long enough that I had been taking the lortab. Seldom right and wrong again!!! Any remedies for leg cramps truly appreciated. I feel like I tried them all and if anything will cause a relapse, this will.

rxqueen83 is offline Member

36 hours, your right into the thick of this. Hang in there! Your almost over the hardest part physically. Keep doing the banana's, stay hydrated, anything you can do to safely treat the cramps. Remember, losing fluids will cause cramps. Are you having the "trots" or "vomiting"? Make sure you replace any fluids with a balance beverage like gatorade or even Pedialyte. Multi vitamins might help too. I've heard people swear by Potassium supplements. Make sure you talk to the pharmacist on duty about Potassium supplementation. You can hurt yourself taking too much, and I don't know what the RDA is. Hang tight!
    COMPLETELY CLEAN (Sub FREE) as of 7/20/12

"I don't like the drugs, but the drugs LIKE ME" Marilyn Manson

Oddly I am not having diarrhea (yet) but I am nauseas. Last rime 3 months ago when I tried to w/d CT I had major diarrhea and uses the immodium. I have zofran for the nausea. I just hope the anxiety stays away. It has been trying to creep in and I hate anxiety. The leg cramps are better this morning but my legs now feel like jello as if I was running a marathon all night. I am still having the muscle aches all over and sneezing and generally feel like I have a bad flu. The mental games are okay but they creep up too. I will be graduating with my master's degree this December and I have to do my internship starting in 2the weeks and I just feel like I will never be back to normal and I will get stressed or the physical symptoms will be so bad that I will relapse. I don't even.know if I am still in pain from the car accident or if it is now the drugs talking. I really don't want to be seeking out Lortab the rest of my life. I want to get clean and stay clean right here right now. Just not sure if I can do it for the long haul. I need to because I am only at the beginning of addiction and what it can do. If I don't atop now I will destroy my family. I have seen it too many times with my relatives and their addictions. My husband had a major breakdown when I asked him to lie to get me more Lortab and then with the fear of w/d and the drugs talking I blamed him for.my addiction.. Then I realized what I had done and had a breakdown too. We got through it and he forgave me and understood it was the drugs talking. He is an incredible.man but I don't want to test our marriage like that again. Considering NA but I live in a small community and my degree is in school.counseling. I know I need to stay clean to.do.that career and I am thankful that I can empathize with students dealing with drug addictions but I don't want anyone to know my personal struggle yet and J fear I will runninto someone I know at an NA meeting. I hope I have the strength to get through this and stay clean for good. 41 hours and counting. If I made it through the last hour, I can make it through the next. My husband, son, and daughter deserve to have their mother back and I deserve to have my life back. Sorry for the long post but as supportive as my husband is he doesn't understand addiction.

Go to an NA meeting outside your area. You'll be fine and glad you went. The anonymity part is taken very seriously. No one can fire you or harass you for seeking help. They CAN fire you for being an active addict and doing the things we do when we are in active addiction though, keep that in mind. You will not feel like this forever, and in two weeks if you stay 100% clean I can pretty much guarantee you'll be FINE, you'll be GREAT. Lortab will kick your butt for about 5 days and then everything goes up from there. Your making a great decision, I wish I had kicked the vikes CT! Everything your going through is 100% normal. You can do this. Strength, determination and faith will carry you through.

60 hours into CT withdrawal from hydrocodone 7.5/325 6-8 times daily for 5 months. The day is not too bas. Mostly I feel like I have a cold and absolutely no energy. But nights are horrible. The painful.leg cramps are better tonight but I feel like every muscle needs o stretch but no matter how often I stretch the feeling is still there. It is making it impossible to sleep. Inly slept about 5 hours total in the last couple hours and those were broken up into only an hour at a time. Every muscle is wore and I really really really just want to fall asleep and stay asleep longer than an hour! I have no energy and getting up to so the smallest things takes everything out of me. As of now, I am.not craving Lortab at all.because I just keep reminding myself that I would have to to through this hell all over again if I took one. Its 5ama and I have slept maybe a total of 2 hours tonight but not at the same time. I really hope the leg thing starts to ease up after 72work hours. Maybe I will be able to get some sleep.tomorrow night if it does.

Anonymous Guest

Char...
    just read your post on karen's thread.
    you absolutely do not want to go subs.
    Cheekysod, a member here, also called da kiwi,
    would say that's like using a hammer to kill a fly.
    not necessary.
    the fact that you got even 2 hours of sleep last nite is really good.
    some of us that have jumped off ridiculously high doses of some heavy stuff
    (and probably should have gone the sub route) went days, weeks w/o sleep.
    the legs and sleep will settle down soon.
    sleep always comes last but it creeps back hours at a time.
    stick with epsom salt baths at nite and as much exercise you can get.
    you're at the tipping point......
    gonna get better for you soon.
    hang tight!!!!
    Strong Desire likes this.

Strong Desire is offline Advanced Member

Hey Char,

Very happy you started your thread. You will get an amazing amount of support. Listen carefully to all the advice given. You CAN do this Char. You have already taken the first step! Keep posting and use this as your journal to look back on. It makes a huge difference as you continue. I wish you the very best with this. I will be following along and offer you support as well. Take care and have a great day.

Hugs,
    Karen

Thanks Shadowwally for the encouragement. I have read that 72 hours is normally the peak and it gets better from there. I start my internship on August 20 and I haven't worked in 5 years so I hope I am feeling much better by then. I would really just like to hear that the cravings don't last forever. Right now I feel like I am going to have a lifelong battle of fighting off cravings and I am not sure if I am strong enough to keep resisting them forever. But like my husband keeps telling me I need to just focus on the here and now. Get through the w/ds and then one day at a time (or one hour at a time). I hope the w/ds are enough to remind me why I don't want to start again but like one woman on here said, sometimes we forget just how painful withdrawals were and that is when we relapse. Mi really don't want that to happen. I told my husband not to let me get any pills no matter what but he also works a full time job and teaches business at the university most weeknights so he is not around to stop me. I just really hope the cravings aren't too bad and that eventually I will feel healthy and strong again for my sake, my husband's sake, and for my son and daughter.

Anonymous Guest

also if you don't want to relapse....
    find a support group...works if you work it

Thanks Karen! It is very encouraging to see your success even though you just started living clean. You will be right ahead of me in this process. My family is supportive right now but they don't understand addiction the way people on here do. I have barely been able to use the word addict. Just started saying it a few days ago when I decided to go cold turkey. Before that I was convinced I wasn't an addict because an had a legitimate pain that I needed Lortab for. Truth is the pain probably went away months ago but I kept convincing myself it was still there. I still have a hard time using the word addict to describe myself but I know that is what I am.

Anonymous Guest

the cravings get better with time.
    especially if you are working a program of some sorts.
    actually for me they got a lot better.
    and no way no how am i wanting to go thru withdrawal again...
    YIKES!

Quote Originally Posted by Char123 View Post
    Thanks Karen! It is very encouraging to see your success even though you just started living clean. You will be right ahead of me in this process. My family is supportive right now but they don't understand addiction the way people on here do. I have barely been able to use the word addict. Just started saying it a few days ago when I decided to go cold turkey. Before that I was convinced I wasn't an addict because an had a legitimate pain that I needed Lortab for. Truth is the pain probably went away months ago but I kept convincing myself it was still there. I still have a hard time using the word addict to describe myself but I know that is what I am.
    You know I've heard on here many times that people with actual pain that have been abusing drugs for a long time find that after they get off the narcotics the pain is no where near what they thought it was. The drugs can be a source of pain themselves! At least that's what I read here. Maybe it's the same for you?

But just know you CAN do this Char. You ARE doing it girl. I'm very proud of you for taking that first step and asking for help. You will be amazed like I said at the amount of advice, encouragement, and support you will receive. Take care of yourself and talk to you later.

Big Hugs,
    Karen

Char
    Your body is naturally screaming for a substance that it was accustomed to and now is being deprived of. That's why we experience cravings and w/d. The cravings will get better. Like shadow says, try to find a program or support group to keep you on the right track. Your doing a good job. Give yourself a big, spanky pat on the back.

I want to attend an NA meeting but we live in a smaller community and I am stating an internship in school counseling at a private Christian school that may not appreciate a school counselor that attends NA so my husband is very concerned that if someone ever found out by seeing me at a meeting I would lose my job and my career that I have worked so hard for. I would definitely go to a closed meeting but I am concerned about whether or not it truly stays anonymous because I don't want to jeopardize my career but I obviously don't want to jeopardize it through drug use either. My counselor says I tend to catastrophize things. Ya think!!

Quote Originally Posted by rxqueen83 View Post
    Char
    Your body is naturally screaming for a substance that it was accustomed to and now is being deprived of. That's why we experience cravings and w/d. The cravings will get better. Like shadow says, try to find a program or support group to keep you on the right track. Your doing a good job. Give yourself a big, spanky pat on the back.
    I agree 100% with Nadia here Char. Your body really wants those pills back and the really scary part is that you know just one little pill can make it all go away! Don't give in to the temptation girl. Get mad at those drugs for ruining your life. Stay the course you're on right now. You'll get there, if you WANT IT bad enough!

And you might have read on here that NA, AA, or CR meetings are scary or maybe not needed. The way I looked at it was that MY way of getting and STAYING clean was just not working, so I had to do something different if I was going to succeed this time. So I went to a NA meeting and now attend every single morning. I love it there!

There will be some in your area where you live I'm sure. Go to one and see how it is. You will find others there with the same issues as you have. It may take you a visit or two before you find the right meeting. They say that AA is maybe a little better. The same 12-steps are worked by both. I guess the people that attend AA are not necessarily pill heads so they really WANT to be there. Some of the NA people are required by the courts to attend. Might be the same for AA. The first one I attended the guys were hitting on me and were trying to sell in the parking lot. But I searched for another and found my home! I fully believe it's what you really need if you are SERIOUS about STAYING clean. So please check one out for your own good.

Big Hugs,
    Karen

I want to attend an NA meeting but we live in a smaller community and I am stating an internship in school counseling at a private Christian school that may not appreciate a school counselor that attends NA so my husband is very concerned that if someone ever found out by seeing me at a meeting I would lose my job and my career that I have worked so hard for. I would definitely go to a closed meeting but I am concerned about whether or not it truly stays anonymous because I don't want to jeopardize my career but I obviously don't want to jeopardize it through drug use either. My counselor says I tend to catastrophize things. Ya think!!
    Hey girl....if you're there then so are they. They might have as much to lose as you do! How bad do you really want it???

No way can anyone fault you or fire you for seeking help!

The problems the reputation of the school is very important to the administration but I am just praying no one would find out.

Woohoo!! Hit the 72 hour mark. Hoping the withdrawals get better from here. During the day is not too bad aside from having no energy due to not sleeping and my muscles are so sore due to the body aches and leg cramps at night. Mpraying the leg cramps are better tonight so I can get some sleep. Tomorrow is open house night for both my kids and I have to coach my daugter's cheer team at their first game on Saturday. I really hope I am up for it!

Woohoo!! Hit the 72 hour mark. Hoping the withdrawals get better from here. During the day is not too bad aside from having no energy due to not sleeping and my muscles are so sore due to the body aches and leg cramps at night. Mpraying the leg cramps are better tonight so I can get some sleep. Tomorrow is open house night for both my kids and I have to coach my daugter's cheer team at their first game on Saturday. I really hope I am up for it!
    Good for you Char hitting the 72 hour mark. You're getting there girl. Here's the link to the Thomas Recipe. There are lots of things in it that may help you feel better. Check it out and hopefully it will help.

The Thomas Recipe
    http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...wal-35169.html <-----click

I know what you mean by someone seeing you at NA meetings. I was scared to death I would be spotted or known by someone. I have a high-powered position in my company and if it were known that I was there it could maybe cause issues. But I thought screw it, I need to better my life so if I'm seen so what. They are also there and maybe we could even work together and help each other?

Turns out I didn't recognize anyone and so far it's been that way. Just give it a shot and worry about being seen if and only if it happens!

Lotsa Love,
    Karen

77 hours and counting. So far my legs are feeling better tonight so hopefully I will be albee to sleep. I even went on a walk with the hubby today. It was short but it was a start. I really hope I am on the mend now. Mi have lots to do tomorrow and it will be hard on no sleep. 2 open houses plus handing out cheer uniforms and just found out tonight I have to coach 2 games on Saturday for my daughter's cheer team instead of one. I hope this won't be too much too soon. I hope it will be a good distraction and the fresh air on Saturday will hopefully be energizing. Praying for some sleep tonight!!!!

Woohoo! Slept 9 hours last night. I woke up 3 times but was able to go right back to sleep. That is the most I have slept in the last 87 hours. Definitely feeling better physically and still in pretty good spirits mentally. Small thoughts about still needing Lortab are creeping in but the pain of withdrawal is still so real and the fact that these pains didn't get better on Lortab near the ens. In fact, sometimes the Lortab made it worse. I am going to have to realize that minor aches and pains especially in the morning are a part of life especially as we get older ans that doesn't mean I need a Lortab. I didn't get to this place overnight and I won't heal overnight but I think I m on the right track!

surfdog is offline Senior Member

Char, If you start to crave tell your self this"Doc/Mr drug dealer give me some of those lost job, divorce, bankrumptcy, lying, stealing ruined relationships, manipulating, taking advantage of others pills." hard to use on the truth. If you do crave it only last a short while. Get on here and post call your sponsoe go to a meeting anything but keeping silent. Silence is the worst thing you can do once verbalized it loses it's power youare doing great Dog
    toni.s. and Char123 like this.

91 hours clean. Actually got out of the house to run some errands today. Talked to a friend about Celebrate Recovery and she hooked me up with one of her friends who does counselor training for CR and is a recovering hydrocodone addict. Things are looking up!

20 days clean!! I thought the first 72 hours of w/d was the worst part. Physically that may be true but now the real work is starting. For the first week after the w/ds started to subside I felt on top of the world, like euphoria that for finally being off hydocodone and on my way to getting my life back. But it gone now. I have always had anxiety which was one of my main reasons for using (to escapefeeling anything real because all my real feelings seemed to terrify me). Now not only do I have anxiety, I am having depression like never before. It is really scaring me because I feel like one day I am just going to lose completely snap. I don't feel like I will ever get through it because there doesn't seem to be a way to make it stop. I am calling a reputable psychiatrist today but I feel so hopeless thinking that I am just going to have to struggle with this for the rest of my life and the only way to experience any kindof of happiness is to take incredible misery along with it. The this that really makes me mad is that I have a great life in the large scheme of things. I have an amazing and supportive husband, two wonderful kids, great roof over my head, way too much food to eat, etc. Where do I get off feeling depressed. Guess I am still working on that first step- we are powerless over this. I just want to fix it now. I don't want to put the work in. Its much raiser tonpop a pillow and move on. I am much to lazy to work at this. Oh, Lord, give me the strength to beat this thing because right now I am feeling a bit hopeless.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Char: I read your posts and that you're unable to attend NA in your area. If you can find one a bit of a distance, would that help? Another place that helped me was In The Rooms. I don't usually recommend other internet sites but they do hold online meetings and seem to be reputable. You DO have the strength, exercise, whatever. I'm glad you're seeing a psych. You will get through this! I read a book called: Wherever you go there you are, that helped as well. I don't know, I'm throwing things out there. I remember suffering from depression: like I was in a deep hole. Keep posting. Try exercise, even though you feel like you can't move, just to get your natural endorphines moving. Wishing you the best.

Peace,

Iloerose

Thanks for the reply Ileorose. I actually went to CR last night. It was very uncomfortable for me but I am going to keep going back and work the program because I can't for backwards in this. I need to keep moving forward in recovery. The depression seems to be easing a little but I know it will take time. I am determined to beat this thing.

Comeback Kid is offline Member

Hang in there Char. I struggle with depression and anxiety myself. You should talk to your dr. about an SSRI or something. Good luck, and well done on the 24 days! Keep it up
    Quotes that keep me going:

"Do you have another day 1 in you?"
    "If not now, when?"
    “When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.”

Clean as of 02.03.2012

Anonymous Guest

good for you char...
    how are you feeling?

Anonymous Guest

char...
    i do remember while recovering from fent ptches feeling like there was this huge black cloud enveloping me....
    it did slowly lift....that's a struggle for sure.
    not going to give med advice, cuz i don't know enough.
    i will say for me it just eventually got better...how long? i don't know, sleep, energy, depression.....
    just seemed to creep back til i looked back and saw how far i had come...
    keep it up....

The depression and anxiety are really bad between 3a and 7a then it seems to ease up a bit during the day. I am going to start Elavil today at a low dose because it's also supposed to help prevent migraines and I have chronic migraines. Figured the Elavil would be a one stop shop for depression and migraines. I went to CR but I could not say "I'm an addict" out loud. I am still really struggling with accepting it and using the word addict. I know I am one because I know if I had my DOC right now I wold take it. At CR others said they struggled with using the word addict at first too and that it was okay. I think it's going to take me a very long time to work through step 1. I feel more like I am at step 0 right now. I really really don't want to live like this anymore though. I met some great loving people at CR and as uncomfortable as I was, I can't stop thinking about it and I can't wait to go back. I've noticed now that the withdrawals are done, and the physical cravings have subsided, the mental game has kicked in full force. It's like a habit to use. I find myself thinking I need my DOC but there is no reason I need it. It can be as simple as at the time of day I would normally use my brain still has the habit of using even though physically I am not craving it anymore. The mental fight is going to take a lot longer and will probably be for the rest of my life which is a bit discouraging. I am just going to keep going to Cr nd talking to my psychologist and praying constantly. I have to make it through this because going back to using can not be an option. I do not have another day 1 in me.
    toni.s. likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast