Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
Klonopin vs. Xanax

Default Klonopin vs. Xanax

Clonazepam (Klonopin) is used for the short-term relief of symptoms of anxiety, as is Alprazolam (Xanax). But it seems that doctors are more comfortable prescribing Klonopin along with a Subutex program than they are Xanax. Is there a reason for this? Is Xanax harder to stop taking? I am on a Subutex taper and am having some issues with anxiety; my doc agreed yesterday that my Klonopin should be increased to 1 mg. 3 x daily, and my Xanax as well as my Ambien discontinued. I am sleeping remarkably well, so I agreed to his stipulations. Now I’m curious why he, and so many others, seem so anti-Xanax.

I have also heard that Klonopin is a more mood lifting drug, where Xanax is more of a knock out drug. That sounds appropriate for my situation but my concern is addiction, and when it is time to step away, how difficult (mentally, physically, and emotionally) that will be? I read someplace on the Internet (the world’s most dangerous place!) that for users addicted to Klonopin, the required detox/rehab is very much like the opiate process (using Suboxone or Subutex for the opiate detox). For Klonopin users, they used Phenobarbitol for the detox/rehab process, and the users were in rather bad shape while kicking Klonopin, as bad as in serious opiate withdrawal!

Looking for some advice, experience, opinion, knowledge, etc….

MaisieC is offline Senior Member

Robert can give you more information about getting off benzos, but I can tell you they are all addictive and no fun to detox from. They certainly have their place, but they should definitely be handled with respect.

Klonopin is longer-acting than xanax. Xanax is better suited for treatment for panic attacks, because it kicks in fast (and doesn't last as long).

Xanax is a BEAST to get off. I have heard stories about people getting flashbacks from xanax, getting withdrawal symptoms and rebound anxiety long after they thought they were off it. It sounds like your doctor is cautious, and I think that's a good thing.

Good luck!

Maisie
    kitty21 likes this.

Anonymous Guest

OK I didn't want to scare you ...but I have been addicted to xanax and klonopin. try to take the least amount you can and when its time to get off. you will need to do a slow taper....Yikes... I would do an opiate detox over a benzo anytime...dont worry we can get you thru that to
    Roberts at the doctor Ill report later...
    Talk to you soon, Melinda

Yogasmer is offline New Member

I have found the same thing. Xanax is awesome for a fast fix to a panic attack, but I found myself nearly instantly "needing" it. I still take it occasionally but am very cautious to not take it regularly as the one time I did the rebound was nasty! I know now why the docs are very wary of it...I am too. I try everyother method of relief before the xanax because of it's addictive nature. I did find that my anti-depressant dose greatly effected my panic attacks so make sure that is in order too.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by melinda7.5 View Post
    OK I didn't want to scare you ...but I have been addicted to xanax and klonopin. try to take the least amount you can and when its time to get off. you will need to do a slow taper....Yikes... I would do an opiate detox over a benzo anytime...dont worry we can get you thru that to
    Roberts at the doctor Ill report later...
    I'll wait to hear from you - I didn't think I was nursing another problem, too. I have hardly taken any of the Xanax lately, hadn't needed the Ambien, either. But doc has increased my Klonopin to 1 mg. 3 x day. Is that going mess me up? What about staying at twice a day?

Anonymous Guest

Hi Christi
    well Robert went to the doctor, his b/p was up over 200...so the doctor sent him home with meds...told him to go home and take 2 klonopin and two soma's
    and get some rest...he just layed down and I think he is going to sleep tonight...LOL..

I don't know your history on the benzos...I have had to take them some times in my life...Its just when you take them on a daily basis it can be hard to get off...don't even worry about that right now...do you have anxiety is that why you take them...
    The last time I took them I was on them for three years and I thought I could quit cold turkey...LOL don't try that...

there has been other people on here that were on subs and then tapered off the benzo's...
    your doing great dont you worry about a thing....
    there are times when we need meds, but most of us on here tend to abuse them...
    I have taken ambien on and off for the last year and I have never had a problem stopping them except that I cant sleep,but thats why I take the silly things
    now I forgot what we were talking about on the other thread...so Im going to jump over there...

Quote Originally Posted by melinda7.5 View Post
    Hi Christi
    well Robert went to the doctor, his b/p was up over 200...so the doctor sent him home with meds...told him to go home and take 2 klonopin and two soma's
    and get some rest...he just layed down and I think he is going to sleep tonight...LOL..

I don't know your history on the benzos...I have had to take them some times in my life...Its just when you take them on a daily basis it can be hard to get off...don't even worry about that right now...do you have anxiety is that why you take them...
    The last time I took them I was on them for three years and I thought I could quit cold turkey...LOL don't try that...

there has been other people on here that were on subs and then tapered off the benzo's...
    your doing great dont you worry about a thing....
    there are times when we need meds, but most of us on here tend to abuse them...
    I have taken ambien on and off for the last year and I have never had a problem stopping them except that I cant sleep,but thats why I take the silly things
    now I forgot what we were talking about on the other thread...so Im going to jump over there...
    Hi, Sweetie:

Yes, I have some issues with anxiety, particularly when we're involved in Michael's treatment and having these intense conversations with his doctors regarding treatment and things that not only have happened, but could happen. My anxiety manifests itself in rather embarrassing ways; I can't just get nervous on the inside, it usually turns into a full-blown physical panic attack, and all the fun that entails. I was taking .5 mg of Xanax when I started the Subutex, and I have discontinued that on my own. My sub doc has prescribed me 1 mg. Klonopin 3 x daily, and I have to admit, I take them pretty much as prescribed (NEVER more than prescribed). I don't know if its my mind making excuses, or my body missing the Xanax, but it seems that I'm more anxious and panicky since I've started the Subutex, so doc readily agreed that Klonopin could safely replace the Xanax. God, I want that to be true. I need to be a calm, rational adult when dealing with Michael's docs and days in treatment. I also need to be able to interact with people and give presentations at Orientation meetings w/o hyperventilating, ears ringing, chest hurting - you know the routine. But I certainly don't want to be an addict to something else. I wanted to say I don't feel like an abuser of the benzos, but I know nobody likes to admit it. And I know now from Robert and these threads that just because I'm taking something as prescribed doesn't mean its the right thing to do.

I don't know what to do?!?!
    vickigee3 likes this.

caughtagain is offline Diamond Member

Hi I just wanted to tell you how much I admire you and your struggles with Michael. I have read threads and have seen first hand how you have helped others here. Your strength that you HAVE will continue to get you through situations and when you feel weak, take a deep breath and remember the strength that you have. Michael is very lucky to have you! We are lucky to have you helping people here. Well, in any event, I just wanted to lend my support to you and tell you that you and Michael are in my thoughts.... CA

This may sound strange but it means so much when doctors and strangers notice what you do, and commend the efforts you make, in this struggle that we're in. Doctors because it always makes you feel better to know that technically and physically, you're doing things right (there is SO much home medication involved, you wouldn't believe). (Although this site has made me lose some respect for doctors in general, but pediatric oncologists are still heroes in my eyes) And it seems friends and family almost are obligated to try to "build you up" and try to keep you there. But when a stranger comments on the job you're doing, it seems as if you really must be doing something right and reflective of the love I have for this child. But conversely, we're almost not strangers anymore...it means so much for you to say those things, it really does.

People often say, "I couldn't go through it", or "I couldn't do it if it were my child", or "How do you get through it, how do you do it?" I guess I used to think the same way, if I ever thought about it at all. You just don't consider this happening to your (then 7 year old) child. But the simple answer is, "You just do it. Because what else are you going to do? You just do what has to be done, and you get him through it, and you wait to cry until you get him in bed, then you get up and do it all over again the next day. And know that it's all gonna be okay someday soon.

OMG * crying so hard *. Sweet post, thank you.
    chasemyrabbit likes this.

caughtagain is offline Diamond Member

As I continue my Journey, I tend to hold onto certain sayings which ring true to me. One I have heard from my mother for many years fits the bill for all of us. Whether we are struggling with life's issues or our ability to stay clean, "this too shall pass" has helped me through so much. My hope is that it will help you too. CA Michael has a great Mom, who I would bet is Stronger than she gives herself credit for. You can do this!

Thanks a million, CA. You made my afternoon.

Jbthechamp is offline New Member

Default WOndering myself

i take both. I was wondering which is harder to come off of.

justk5 is offline New Member

Post Klonopin vs Xanax

I know I'm replying to an old post, but perhaps others may have the same questions.

What I've found myself is that Xanax can make you more tired and calm, but does not last as long as Klonopin. Xanax takes care of the panic in a very short time compared to Klonopin. Klonopin, as per my doctor, needs to be taken at least an hour ahead of time when I know I'm going to be in an anxiety producing situation or for desensitization.

Also, when I was on Xanax, I really didn't have side effects of coming off the drug. Of course that could be due to the fact that I only took, .25 mg up to 3 x a day. I stopped when I became depressed because I did not need it then. I was too numb to be anxious. As with any benzo, it's always best to cut back slowly before completely stopping. I cut back from 3, .25mg a day on the Xanax.

The Klonopin I take is .5 mg. It does not make me drowsy like the Xanax, and I just feel normal. It only takes the edge off of the anxiety. Again I am prescribed .5mg, 2 to 3 times a day. Most days I take are 2x, occasionally 3. When I'm doing well, I may only need 1 to 2 a day.

Everyone's body is different with different side effects. But if I had a choice and I do, I choose the Klonopin over the Xanax.
    vickigee3 likes this.

jimandbridgett is offline New Member

Thumbs up So true

Quote Originally Posted by justk5 View Post
    I know I'm replying to an old post, but perhaps others may have the same questions.

What I've found myself is that Xanax can make you more tired and calm, but does not last as long as Klonopin. Xanax takes care of the panic in a very short time compared to Klonopin. Klonopin, as per my doctor, needs to be taken at least an hour ahead of time when I know I'm going to be in an anxiety producing situation or for desensitization.

Also, when I was on Xanax, I really didn't have side effects of coming off the drug. Of course that could be due to the fact that I only took, .25 mg up to 3 x a day. I stopped when I became depressed because I did not need it then. I was too numb to be anxious. As with any benzo, it's always best to cut back slowly before completely stopping. I cut back from 3, .25mg a day on the Xanax.

The Klonopin I take is .5 mg. It does not make me drowsy like the Xanax, and I just feel normal. It only takes the edge off of the anxiety. Again I am prescribed .5mg, 2 to 3 times a day. Most days I take are 2x, occasionally 3. When I'm doing well, I may only need 1 to 2 a day.

Everyone's body is different with different side effects. But if I had a choice and I do, I choose the Klonopin over the Xanax.
    Thanks for describing this for me! I've been trying to put this into words for days and it feels like I'm talking in circles. Also, I don't understand why I have Anxiety Attacks. They happen at the strangest times. As long as I'm up, busy, doing something or stay fast-paced, I'm fine (with the Klonopin). But it doesn't matter what I'm doing when I slow down (eating, for instance), I get that light-headed, can't swallow, can't focus kind of feeling that makes my heart feel like it's at the race track.

Zanax doesn't even begin to compare to Klonopin! Zanax seems to make the attacks more severe when it wears off. Klonopin can almost always be used as a daily regimen to PREVENT most attacks. Thank goodness most of the holidays are over this year. Only the big one left!! But, Klonopin will help me to enjoy it and Zanax would only make dred them more.
    kitty21 and vickigee3 like this.

trevor56 is offline Banned

Very useful and for me too!
    Thanks, justk5
    Last edited by ddcmod; 10-24-2013 at 02:57 AM.

BellaHope is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by trevor56 View Post
    Very useful and for me too!
    Thanks, justk5
    So glad to have found this site. Praying I don't feel like a freak after admitting for the first time ever how many benzo's I 've been on for years now. Klonopin 1 mg. (1 by mouth) x 5 daily, Xanax 1 mg. ( 1-2 by mouth) x every 4 hrs. as needed. I want off these Mede so badly but had a Grand Mal seizure years ago, after attempting to quite Xanax (wasn't on Klonopin @ that time) and nearly died, leaving me terrified of trying to get off them again. Can any of you give me some advise? Any help would be deeply appreciated!

BellaHope is offline New Member

Anyone out there? If so, please help me. I'm feeling desperate!!

Davex is offline New Member

Bella,

You didn't say why you were on these but I'll presume panic and anxiety.

In my non-medical opinion, you are over-medicated. You are taking the maximum Xanax dosage and nearly the maximum Klonopin dosage. You can cut your 1mg Xanax in half and take the same time each day which will begin the tapering process without much risk of seizure. You're probably also sufffering a little Post-Traumatic Stress after having the seizure so I'll guess the high Xanax dosage and the addition of Klonopin is partly a result of that.

That's just for starters...

Actually you should tell your doctor you want to try to back off these meds and have him/her counsel you on the process safely. Hopefully, your doc is a psychiatrist with lots of experience and not your family doc.

It would be helpful here to get more about your story - what your being treated for, why you went the benzo route, have you tried SSRIs, how long you've been on them, how your dosage got to be this high - you certainly didn't start at these levels. And why you want to cut them back now.

I haven't addressed everything here but I've given good, sound, starting points. After you reply with a little more detail, I'll try to help some more.

P.S. We're all the same kind of patients here - don't feel like a freak.
    Last edited by Davex; 03-01-2012 at 04:41 PM.
    Calamari84 likes this.

geno1031k is offline New Member

Hey everyone I was wondering in your experience what meds have you taken for anxiety that had lil to no side effects. I have some pretty bad social anxiety and have had it for a while now. The past few years have been pretty bad resulting in me working in a job that I'm not at all passionate about (3rd shift stocking).

I've read some info on here, other forums, http://klonopinsideeffects.org/ and other sites and I'm a bit on the nervous side about getting on this medication.

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by geno1031k View Post
    Hey everyone I was wondering in your experience what meds have you taken for anxiety that had lil to no side effects. I have some pretty bad social anxiety and have had it for a while now. The past few years have been pretty bad resulting in me working in a job that I'm not at all passionate about (3rd shift stocking).

I've read some info on here, other forums, http://klonopinsideeffects.org/ and other sites and I'm a bit on the nervous side about getting on this medication.

You are very wise to be nervous about this drug. This is NOT a medication to take lightly. Unfortunately, doctors are all too eager to prescribe benzodiazepene meds (like klonopin) as it does give some short-term relief. But the price we pay for that short-term relief is much, much too high.

Given my own experience, the last thing I would turn to for routine anxiety is klonopin or any of the other benzos. I've taken different types at different times in the past, and I endured the true torment of going off them. (I wouldn't wish that on my ex-husband - which says something!) Benzos (like klonopin) quickly lend themselves to dependency, meaning your body will adjust so that it requires the drug in order to operate 'normally.' This means that when you want to stop the drug, you'll have to taper off very slowly - and you will feel withdrawal symptoms. I took klonopin for several years (a so-called preventative med for migraines) and NEVER abused the drug. Nevertheless, my withdrawal off it was 3 full weeks of constant anxiety attacks. Seriously, and I'd never had one before! It was truly hellish. I am many years off them now, and still struggle with the short-term memory loss that was a result of taking klonopin.

These drugs (benzodiazepenes) are intended for SHORT TERM USE ONLY. That means about 3 months, not over an extended time. They are intended for periods of intense, unusual anxiety - and NOT meant to be taken for day-to-day routine stress/anxiety. This means it is for an acute attack of anxiety, like a sudden death. Taking klonopin for what you're experiencing is a bit like shooting a mouse with a cannon. It's too powerful a drug to take for job-related stress or unhappiness.

There are a number of other medications that can be used more safely for anxiety. Here's a list from this forum of medications routinely used for "anxiety": http://www.drugs.com/condition/anxiety.html

* NOTE: Anything on that list that denotes "benzodiazepene" is in the same family as klonopin, and just as risky.

I have no idea, to be honest, why a respected doctor would suggest klonopin for someone with social anxiety and dissatisfaction with their lifestyle or work. I would suggest you look through this list of medications for "social anxiety" from this forum; not a single benzodiazepene is listed: http://www.drugs.com/condition/socia...-disorder.html

We must be our own best advocate with our health care. Sadly, doctors are often too busy or rushed to carefully evaluate every situation. Klonopin is like a "IDGAF" drug, as I refer to it - it produces an "I Don't Give A F***" attitude in the patient. It numbs emotions, even the good ones. It does tend to shut the patient up, and maybe that's what they want. But that isn't the best answer for ourselves.

God bless,
    Ruth
    geno1031k likes this.

geno1031k is offline New Member

Thanks for the info!! I'm going to use medication as a last resort and do some research to see if I can find an alternative method for getting over my anxiety.

fleda5150 is offline New Member

Default Recently prescribed Klonopin been a long time Xanax user

I hope I am getting on to the right thread. I am feeling a little lost. On Wednesday, September 12, 2012, I saw my psychiatrist for a meds check. I had been feeling bad and anxious and much more but I don't know how much you want to hear about that. My body is constantly anxious according to my Internist. I will tell you the meds I take and I will tell you my medical conditions and if after that you feel I don't belong on this thread, please let me know. I take Vyvanse (70mg), Synthroid (.05mg X2), Adderall (10mg-one when I wake up and one four hours later), Klonopin (.5mg one when I get up and one when I go to bed), Xanax (2mg at night but am prescribed to take up to three a day as needed), Trazodone (150mg), Latuda (40mg). I have Bipolar Disorder I, Fybromyalgia, Agoraphobia, ADHD, Hypothyroidism. I started the new meds (Klonopin and Adderall) on Thursday, September 13, 2012. It has all gone down hill from there. I am majorly depressed, I feel lonely, hopeless, empty and scared. I was not having those feelings before the added meds. I am use to the chronic pain, the high anxiety, the major migraines, the brain fogs but the depression has not been this bad in over a year. It has to have something to do with the Klonopin. Has anyone ever heard of Klonopin causing this? My doctor chose to put me on this medicine because I am still constantly anxious and he wanted something in my system that had a lasting affect. I take the Xanax when I am in a really bad anxious situation, like outside in crowds, in stores or at ball games for my children and other situations. I also take Xanax every night to help with racing thoughts so I can sleep. I just don't understand why it has thrown me into such a deep depression. I can't hardly function. I am crying constantly and I don't want to answer my phone or go out for anything although I have two very active children I must do these things for. I have put in a phone call to my doctor but I don't know when he will call me back. Should I stop taking the Klonopin? Have I been taking it long enough to cause a bad reaction to stop taking it cold turkey? Please, any advise or a suggestion to another forum/thread would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by fleda5150; 09-18-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Anonymous Guest

i'm not ignoring your post......
    just don't know the answer.
    if doc doesn't call you back, call them back again!!!

Anonymous Guest

I'm guessing you don't feel good because you're popping speed and downers all day long! Definitely talk to your doctor but.essentially you're speedballing all day by taking adderall and then klonopin AND xanax all day. That combo doesn't seem right to me, but I'm no doctor.
    Sunny mom, Enso, iloerose and 2 others like this.

iloerose is offline Platinum Member

Listen to what Blue is telling you above. First of all, have you cut any xanax out at all? How much of that are you actually taking? You sound like you're going through xanax w/d. Secondly, Klonipin is a longer acting drug (longer half life). I don't know what some of the drugs you take are, but you are on a real cocktail. There is really nothing we can do to help you here. How long have you been on these drugs? Synthroid is for low thyroid. My sister had huge panic attacks and as soon as they put her on synthroid and adjusted her dose she was fine.

You are on some heavy duty mood altering drugs: continuously going up and down with vyvanse, adderall, xanax and k-pin plus trazadone?

Peace,

Iloerse

Comeback Kid is offline Member

Over medication of benzos will make you more anxious and depressed. Sounds like you should either cut out the Xanax, or the Klonopin. I can see why he put you on Kpin in the morning, as it's a longer lasting form of benzo. Why not just take the .5 kpin in the morning, and then another .5-1mg at night for sleep? It just seems like with all the other drugs you are on, the high amount of benzos can't help. Talk to your doctor though first.
    Quotes that keep me going:

"Do you have another day 1 in you?"
    "If not now, when?"
    “When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.”

Clean as of 02.03.2012

NathanF is offline New Member

Ruth, I’m not trying to be rude but I could tell your comments were written by a woman before I saw your name. This is because there is one thing FAR worse than benzo withdrawal…..male sexual dysfunction caused by SSRI’s. This is a problem for most guys who are on SSRI’s. The problem is that you can get an erection but you can’t have an orgasm. You basically have permanent blue ba**s. After years of not being able to have an orgasm testicles produce less sperm similar to having a vasectomy. My sperm count is so low that I probably can’t ever have children and I’m only 34.

The sad thing is that all I had/have is a mild case of chronic social anxiety. For about 2 years it was well controlled with 2mg of xanax/day. Most doctors consider this to be the non-addictive daily limit for xanax. Then I had to move because of my job and I had to find a new doctor. This “caring” doctor insisted that I try every SSRI on the market (which took years) and took me off the xanax. He had no reason to do so other than the notion that benzos are bad. I went to other Dr's with the same result.

Ruth, I would love to trade your IDGAF doctors for our “good” doctors. It has become ridiculous here in Florida, especially since they started cracking down on the “pill-mill” pain clinics. Doctors just refuse to write controlled substances unless there is no other choice, and then they severely under medicate. Three months ago I was laid off and my Dr gave me 30, 0.5mg xanax with no refills……..REALLY?!? Losing your job, especially when you didn’t do anything wrong, is one of the most traumatic things that can happen in your life! There is nothing in my chart that would contraindicate a therapeutic dose of xanax. I don’t drink, don’t smoke, don’t do illegal drugs, I’m healthy, and I don’t take any other drugs that would interact with a benzo.

The doctors in Florida (especially the younger ones) have been brain washed into thinking that benzos are evil. The new thing they’re pushing for management of acute anxiety is Hydroxyzine. Now you can pay $100 to see your Dr and have him write you a prescription for really expensive Benadryl! My life was infinitely better when I was on xanax. The side effects from the SSRI’s outweigh the benefits. These days I just deal with the anxiety and don’t take anything. However, if I could find a Dr who would put me back on xanax my life would be so much easier. I think FASTER and clearer when I interact with other people because I don’t second guess myself when I’m on a mild dose of xanax. These “respected” doctors probably sterilized me and definitely made my life worse. I also never had any withdrawal symptoms when coming off of 2mg of xanax/day. If anybody knows of a Dr in the Tampa Bay area that will write a benzo for chronic mild anxiety I would be eternally grateful if you would let me know.

Davex is offline New Member

Fleda5150,

Firstly, I'm not a doctor, just a long-time anxiety patient...

Second, it's the Klonopin that's making you depressed. I say that because (1) it's a known side-effect, not well advertised tho, and (2) It did that to me after raising my dose above 1mg per day (but everybody's different). Tell your pysch if this side-effect is intolerable and outweighs the benefit and, whatever you do, don't increase it.

Thirdly, for future reference, I would not start 2 meds at the same time, even under a doctor's supervision. When doing so, you cannot tell which drug is resulting in which side-effects. I always start a new drug or dosage change on Friday so I have the weekend to see how it effects me.

Should you stop taking the Klonopin? Yes, if depression is now your primary concern. Cold Turkey? For this short a time, maybe. You might be better off to step down to .25 (cut them in half) for the length of time you've been on it (about 3 weeks). Drop it after that.

I wouldn't presume to advise you further since you and your doctor are walking a real tightrope dealing with multiple problems like this (I've already over-stepped my bounds) so I am only answering the question you asked.

ladyluck2469 is offline New Member

Default anti-anxieties, xanax,klonopin, whatever ur taking

if u need them then it doesn't matter if ur addictedthe problems u have will still be ther once u detox so accept these r what we have to deal with

mloden is offline New Member

Hey everyone,
    I've been following this thread for a bit and am looking for a bit of information that doesn't seem to be mentioned. And I need help with it.
    My Dr. has me on 200mg of Lamictal every morning and 1mg of Klonopin twice a day. I also take 15mg each night for racing thoughts and sleeplessness. Even with this, I have trouble sleeping. Wake up many times at night with racing thoughts and crazy dreams. ANd during the day is not better. My mood is still overall very bad. Always tired and lethargic. I still lose my temper over very simple things and lash out, even after taking the Klonopin. I just want to be happy again.

Anyone else have a similar situation or any suggestions on what i could do differently?

Thanks...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast