From Klonopin to Temazepam. Advice please.
    fitnesslifestyle is offline New Member

Default From Klonopin to Temazepam. Advice please.

I have been using 1.5mg of Klonopin for the last 8 months for sleep but recently it has began to not work well at all for falling/staying asleep. I do not want to increase my dose.

My doctor has prescribed 30-60mg of Temazepam (I am aware that that is double the fda guidelines), upon my request, to use at night in hopes that it (temporarily) solves my sleep issues.

My question is do you. whoever is reading this, think that 30mg (the amount I would like to use) would suffice for my 1.5mg Klonopin tolerance? According to the charts, I would need 60 but I know that Temaz is more hypnotic based which can cause it to feel a bit stronger. I guess I'm just worried that it will not rid my anxiety and/or help me sleep any better than the Klonopin is.

Any Temazepam users want to chime in on this comparison? Do you think it is a decent alternative?

For the record, I have been using benzos for 5 years and although I think benzo.org.uk is one of the best sites for benzodiazepine information, I am not interested in tapering off of benzos at the moment.

Thank you very much.

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fitnesslifestyle View Post
    I have been using 1.5mg of Klonopin for the last 8 months for sleep but recently it has began to not work well at all for falling/staying asleep. I do not want to increase my dose.

My doctor has prescribed 30-60mg of Temazepam (I am aware that that is double the fda guidelines), upon my request, to use at night in hopes that it (temporarily) solves my sleep issues.

My question is do you. whoever is reading this, think that 30mg (the amount I would like to use) would suffice for my 1.5mg Klonopin tolerance? According to the charts, I would need 60 but I know that Temaz is more hypnotic based which can cause it to feel a bit stronger. I guess I'm just worried that it will not rid my anxiety and/or help me sleep any better than the Klonopin is.

Any Temazepam users want to chime in on this comparison? Do you think it is a decent alternative?

For the record, I have been using benzos for 5 years and although I think benzo.org.uk is one of the best sites for benzodiazepine information, I am not interested in tapering off of benzos at the moment.

Thank you very much.
    Hi fit
    Temazepam works great and I do think 30 mg would =1.5 of the klonopin but you build up a tolerance to it pretty fast.. have you tried ambien ? or Lunesta ?

Quote Originally Posted by melinda7.5 View Post
    Hi fit
    Temazepam works great and I do think 30 mg would =1.5 of the klonopin but you build up a tolerance to it pretty fast.. have you tried ambien ? or Lunesta ?
    Thank you for the quick reply! I have had this Temaz script for... 12 days... and haven't brought myself to actually try it. I feel so ridiculous, as it very well could help me for awhile. I have definitely heard that Temazepam builds tolerance much faster than other Benzos.

With Temazepam, do you find that the anxiolytic effects can allow you to relax for a bit before falling asleep or is it a knock-out drug? Although with my benzo tolerance, I doubt it would knock me out.

I've tried Ambien. It really has no effect on me. I feel slight anxiolytic effects but it causes no sedation nor amnesic effects like most. It's very odd. Plus the anti-anxiety effects weren't all that strong. It kind of turned me away from Z drugs, so I never tried another one.

My GAD is heavily prevalent at night time so Benzos have always worked very well for me, as the anxiolytic properties allow me to calm down enough to fall asleep. When my Psych and I went through all the Benzos in the States which I had not tried, Temazepam looked like the best bet for now.

I know that I just need to try this one before looking for an alternative, it's just always nice to hear how a drug effects others first. I know it is subjective and my mileage may vary but I enjoy hearing from those who have used a drug and have experience with it.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Temazepam (restoril) works best if you only use it 2-3 times per week. If you take it every day, regardless of whether you take 30 mg or 60 mg it will stop working in a short time. I would not suggest it for everyday use and I believe 60mg is too high of a dose. It will knock you out until it stops working. You may want to alternate meds so you don't build the tolerance to the temazepam. Try the klonopin one day and switch over to the temazepam if you have to use a benzo.

You're better off as Melinda said with ambien if you have to use something for sleep although you say it doesn't work for you. Lunesta is okay if you can tolerate the aftertaste it leaves in your mouth for most people. Hope that helps. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 04-27-2011 at 10:04 PM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Just a little update.

For someone who was using between 1.5-2mg of Klonopin a night for anxiety and sleep issues, 30mg of Temazepam seems to work great with no signs of any Benzo withdrawal either. This is really the only time that I have found the equivalency charts to be inaccurate.

By no means did I find it to be a knock-you-out drug, I was able to relax for awhile before falling asleep, however waking up about 5 hours after sleeping seems to be common. In contrast though, that is better then the 3-4 times a night on Klonopin.

I really wish this medication came in a pill form, I think taking an extra 5mg right before med would solve the waking up issue!

Anyways, just wanted to update in case anybody was curious.

Hope all are as well as can be!