Karen, et al, What made you see the light?
    pgh491 is offline Member

Default Karen, et al, What made you see the light?

My son is one that was inducted at a high dose of subutex. His mother is a loving, enabling, idiot. I'm afraid she's loving him to death. I want to "shock" him into action. any ideas from anyone would really be appreciated.

pgh491 is offline Member

p.s. He's 21

Strong Desire is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by pgh491 View Post
    My son is one that was inducted at a high dose of subutex. His mother is a loving, enabling, idiot. I'm afraid she's loving him to death. I want to "shock" him into action. any ideas from anyone would really be appreciated.
    Hi pgh,

Welcome to the forum! Very nice to meet you. To answer your question in my own terms it was quite simply that I was screwing up my life so bad, and I was going down the drain fast! I knew that something had to change. Either I got clean, and STAYED clean, or I was going to lose everything I had worked so hard for. I had abused narcotics for about 7 years and it WAS my life. It was time to change that.

I am a single mom of a 4 year old boy. I am college educated with a Masters Degree. I have the best job in the world (my opinion) that lets me work full-time from home with a very nice high 6-figure salary. I have a beautiful home of my own on a private island in the south. I have been told by others that I am a beautiful young woman (30 years old) and I am NOT meaning to boast. Very fit with many friends, and parents that were so proud of me. And it was ALL leaving me quickly! I finally woke up one day and said to myself, enough of this....I want a better life for myself, and my son certainly deserves it too! Then I got real busy to make the changes I needed to make!

I had been reading here for a very long time before joining. Educating myself about all that I could learn. The people here are truly amazing! I thought long and hard and made the decision that subs were right for ME. Robert was kind enough to jump in and take me on. He inducted me at ONLY 1.7mg total, and now I am down to .25mg and almost finished!

So the bottom line is that the son needs to want to be clean for himself more than he wants to use! If he continues to use it only gets worse, much, much worse! The good and kind people here are more than willing to help. They will need all the information that you can give them. Things like how much sub is he taking now, how long he has been on it, how many milligrams does he have to work with, what was he abusing before, and all the info you can provide.

I hope I have answered your question? If not let me know and I will try again. I will help ANYONE that I can. One thing is most important and that is a POSITIVE ATTITUDE. It is imperative that the person getting clean has it. Make all the difference in my opinion! So all the best to you guys. Post often and ask lots of questions. It may be slow now because of the Holiday. But be patient and they will be here. Take care and I will be here for you along the way. Blessings to all of you.

Big Hugs,
    Karen

pgh491 is offline Member

Thanks Karen. I've read all 12 pages of responses to you. I'm interested in the value structure that survives just beneath the all encompassing desire to get "drugs". You obviously had desire to survive. Why? What was important enough to you that "woke you up"? Son, I know. He has one,too. Mother prevents him from visiting. He's in an emotional morass. I need to "blow this up". I'm looking for a stragety. I know the only thing is to get drugs...I want to know "why?" What does he want to survive for that drugs are supposed to provide? I know this might be confusing and don't expect anything from you. Your insights are unavailable to me but may prove invaluable to him and you might not even know it! Time is a precious gift and I can't thank you enough for yours. I didn't even mention that damn clonopin.

pgcc is offline Member

21 is so hard an age. No one could tell me anything at 21, I knew everything. I sghtayed that way for a while. It was only when the pain I was sitting in became greater then the potential pain of changing what I'm doing that I decided I had to do something. The horrible thing about addiction is that usually an addict won't change unless he/she has had enough pain. I guess that happens at different times for everyone and never for some. Until I decided, myself that my life was absolutly crazy I did not attempt to stop. Hopefully he wants to stop badly then he can do it. It all depends on his atitude. But if he get clean at 21 it would be awesome, his drug use would be a blip on the screen rather than a defining part of his life. I really pray that he gets clean, I know that drug abuse affects families just as much as the addict, sometimes more because they want to help so much but can't unless the addict wants the help.

surfdog is offline Senior Member

pg, you summed it up, the pain has to out weigh the pleasure. your son is going to have to want to get clean Dog

Strong Desire is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by surfdog View Post
    pg, you summed it up, the pain has to out weigh the pleasure. your son is going to have to want to get clean Dog
    That's what I was trying to say Dog, I just took the long winded route to do it! LOL. So you see I AM learning my friend!

Hugs,
    Karen

surfdog is offline Senior Member

I just don't have your eloquence Karen tact has never been one of my greater attributes lol If I think it it just kinda falls out. Dog