Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree78Likes
Just starting C/T...HELP!!
    Sickofit13 is offline Member

Default Just starting C/T...HELP!!

Good morning all...

I'm a mid-40's woman who has been in pain management for several years for herniated discs. My current script is for percocet 10/325. I hate my life. I'm exhausted all the time and I've lost interest in my life and I know its from all the meds. I don't want to do this anymore. My pain is at a reasonable level and I want to quit them c/t. I've tried before and failed. I really want to do it this time. Help! Talk me through this! Tell me I can do it!

My pain has been better so I was taking approx 4 of the 10 mg each day and then a couple days ago I decided to cut that in half. Withdrawal started within 6 hours! And that wasn't even cold turkey! If I'm going to feel like s$%t for the next 5 days then I want to be DONE with the pills forever when its over!

I've been off work on disability but I"m desperate to go back and get my life back. I'm supposed to go back next week but could extend a little longer if needed. Thats why I'm so determined this time. I want to be successful when I return to work and I can't with all that medicine in me!

Am I crazy? I haven't talked to my doc about this yet but will see her Wednesday. I don't want them to prescribe the suboxone and risk that scenario.

Is my dose too high to go cold turkey? Please help me! I'm so miserable right now with withdrawl. I can't eat, sleep, sit still...please help!

winged eagle is offline Advanced Member

You can do this! And no, you're not crazy!
    I'm not very knowledgeable about pills, >>>>>> was more my thing, so can't tell if your dose was that high, but I've seen lots and lots of people jump off huge doses and pull through, they wanted it THAT badly.
    I can tell you're ready. So go for it!
    Google the Thomas recipe and treat each symptom as it comes up. Make sure you're well hydrated, try to eat, at least a couple of bananas (also helps with restless legs). Try and move around as much as possible.
    Post and post often, it helps and there will be someone here to help you as much as possible.

I commend you for doing this and taking hold of your life again.
    Take it one minute at a time. The peak will be around days 3 to 5, after which the physical symptoms will decrease substantially, but the mind games will launch at you, so be prepared. AA or NA, support groups, therapy, whatever you need.
    But first things first.
    Lets get you through the next few days.
    Hang in there, sickofit.
    You can do this!

Anonymous Guest

You are definitely not at too high a dose to go c/t!
    Go for it!
    Like Eagle said....a week of the flu...
    we'll get you through that....then NA or AA...
    and grab your life!
    It's worth it i promise!
    winged eagle likes this.

Winged Eagle, thanks for your quick reply!

I literally cried when I read it. No one else has said I can do it. My husband looked at me like I was crazy when I said I was I doing this and said "you didn't make it before, why will you make it this time?!"

I think the moving around is what I need. I have no energy so I lay around a lot. I'll try to keep moving and I'll work on the Thomas recipe.

The anxiety is SO BAD...I wish it would go away. I can't believe I'm not even 24 hours in to this yet...

Pray for me, everyone!
    winged eagle likes this.

Shadowwally, you just outlined my strategy...tell everyone I have the flu so they leave me alone!

I'm terrified to fail...I'll be posting like crazy over the next 5 days so I hope you all have cleared your calendars..I'm going to need you!

Thanks for caring..

Comeback Kid is offline Senior Member

You have no better opportunity than NOW. If not now, then when? You express your desire to rid yourself of this addiction, so you are one step closer to making that happen. It's not the 5 days of physical "discomfort" that is the largest hurdle, it's the staying clean part that takes all you've got. Google the "thomas recipe" for symptomatic relief during the first week. Keep posting here, it's what helped me through the tough times. There are many knowledgeable people on this forum that can help greatly. Good luck to you, and I look forward to following your progress.
    winged eagle likes this.
    Hi my name is Adam, i'm an addict
    "Do you have another day 1 in you?"
    “If I can't win what sense does it make to fight?”
    Do tomorrow what you did today, you get tomorrow what you got today
    Clean as of 05.30.2014 (4:00pm CST)

winged eagle is offline Advanced Member

Sickofit, you most certainly CAN do this, and don't for a moment consider any neigh sayers, what the heck do they know about this anyway?
    Post as much as you like. Get it all out. It's extremely therapeutic, so just go for it.
    Hot baths help. Go take one now. Sleepy Time tea and melatonin for the anxiety, if you have them. Or valerian root. And a good cry does wonders. I swear, I'd be miserable and would bawl my eyes out and then be calm as a kitten for a while after, so don't be afraid to shed a few tears.
    Try and watch some comedy if you're up for it.
    And basically, yeah, you have the flu for the next few days, so buckle down and get it over with.
    Let us know how you're doing, ok?

..we will definitely be here for you. If you feel an urge to medicate, post. When you feel down, post. When you see that glimmer of hope, post. That first day you notice the beauty of a sunset/rise, post. It will help greatly. You being off of work for disability right now is the best reason to stop now.

I ask you to not fear failure however. Fear in it of itself can be a catalyst for falling back. Tell yourself that you want to be clean, and there is less chance of failure. It's all up to YOU. We can only be mere "cheerleaders and coaches" for you here.

I'm 11 months clean this week, and I can tell you there is a much much better life on this side of the opiate haze.

EDIT: and exercise as much as you can. Your body needs to essentially re-learn how to produce endorphins and serotonin all over again, so the more you "tune" your body to produce those naturally, the quicker you will overcome the urges and cravings.
    Last edited by Comeback Kid; 01-05-2013 at 10:56 AM.
    winged eagle and Kikker like this.

Anonymous Guest

Eagles right....
    Hot baths and tears and comedy and tea...etc...
    Also the more you move around, walk the less anxiety you will have.......
    again....hot epsom salts baths.....
    winged eagle likes this.

Anonymous Guest

Comeback.....
    Congrats on the 11 months!!!!
    Seems like yesterday......but also forever ago.
    Comeback Kid likes this.

Comeback kid, thanks for supporting me!

11 months! Thats an amazing milestone! Congratulations! I look forward to being able to say I've made it 11 months...

gracias! It does seem like so long ago, but also has passed with great speed. It doesn't(or maybe does) help that I have a 17 month old who is now running, everywhere. He's keeping me on my toes Im ready to knock this last month out, and move on to counting the years!

Sorry to be a pain but when I google the Thomas recipe it took me to a post that was 50-some pages of posts and I never found the actual recipe...

Kikker is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sickofit13 View Post
    Sorry to be a pain but when I google the Thomas recipe it took me to a post that was 50-some pages of posts and I never found the actual recipe...
    here ya go.....

Thomas Recipe
    http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...wal-35169.html

Thanks Kikker! I was up all night last night (of course!) and read lots of your posts and replies to others...thanks for taking the time to help me.

I'm really overwhelmed by all the people supporting me.

Comeback Kid...enjoy that little one! It seems like yesterday that my daughter was that age and now she's in college. You can't imagine how fast it will go. I haven't even lost all the baby weight and now she's in college!
    Kikker and Comeback Kid like this.

Thanks Kikker! I was up all night last night (of course!) and read lots of your posts and replies to others...thanks for taking the time to help me.

I'm really overwhelmed by all the people supporting me.

Comeback Kid...enjoy that little one! It seems like yesterday that my daughter was that age and now she's in college. You can't imagine how fast it will go. I haven't even lost all the baby weight and now she's in college!
    u are very welcome and have been getting great advice, suggestions, and support from the others here. i would just add that u indeed CAN do this. no one says u can't but YOU! surprise the hubby by showing him just how strong u really are!

OK, so WOW...

I have a major headache and I remembered I have a medicine the pain doc gave me for a tension headache recently. ( I was one of the people who got a steriod injection laced with fungal meningitis, so when my head starting hurting, they were trying to figure out what it was.)

She gave me a generic of Fioricet...this is bad for me, isn't it? I should not take this while trying to C/T, correct? Any opinions?

OK, so WOW...

I have a major headache and I remembered I have a medicine the pain doc gave me for a tension headache recently. ( I was one of the people who got a steriod injection laced with fungal meningitis, so when my head starting hurting, they were trying to figure out what it was.)

She gave me a generic of Fioricet...this is bad for me, isn't it? I should not take this while trying to C/T, correct? Any opinions?
    ur probably ok to take the Fioricet while getting off the perc's.....it's a non-narcotic medication, UNLESS it's the one with CODEINE in it.....check either with the pharmacy or ur doctor if it isn't on the label.

if it has CODEINE in it do not use it, unless u check with the doctor first.

in the first few days of C/T-ing the drugs are going to do everything possible to get u to take another perc. they will turn up the pressure by the way of different symptoms. u have to do ur best to fight thru them, and dealing with each symptom as it comes up. headaches can be the worst. they impare nearly everything and the want to "give in" is tremendous. i believe u are strong enough to continue. don't let those drugs beat u....fight hard for the right to be clean! hang in there. u CAN do this!
    Last edited by Kikker; 01-05-2013 at 12:39 PM.

Kikker thanks for your reply!

I took the hot bath but that wasn't that great. The anxiety is the worst thing of all. I wish I had something for the anxiety! I have access to muscle relaxers but thats about it and i don't think they would help. I have some cymbalta but I hate it! when i take it, my family always asks why I'm mad.

I feel like theres an elephant on my chest. everytime I stand up and move around, I get dizzy but I'm literally power walking in my room to try to get the endorphins flowing! I must look like a freak. I just want this anxiety to go away.

make sure u contact someone to make certain it DOES NOT have CODEINE in it. i have Fioricet that does not and it's non-narcotic, and thus NOT habit forming, but there is one that DOES HAVE CODEINE in it and it certainly is addictive.

make certain of the one u have BEFORE using it.

the bottle says "butalb-aceteminophen-caffeine.

Did NOT take it, by the way, so don't worry about me.
    Kikker likes this.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this elephant off my chest without ativan or any other drugs??? My heart is beating out of my chest and the anxiety is HELL.

so I'm not sure I'm tough enough for this. I feel awful. The diarrhea just started... My hubby is outside screwing around with his toys and I'm here alone feeling weak and in pain.

I'm so tired..I wish I could sleep but my heart keeps racing...

I"m walking a lot and that seems to help...I've had a few good moments but still really struggling. I'm not even 24 hours into this. I'm dreading the next few days and especially the next few nights. Its tough to be up all night, not able to sleep, no one to talk to. It makes it really hard to continue. But I have no choice...I have to keep going. The funny thing is this: As miserable as I am, I'm not thinking about the pills I have in the bathroom...I'm honestly not thinking about taking one (even though my back pain is getting bad!), I'm just trying to figure out how to feel OK with the withdrawl...I hope it continues that way.

Hubby is locking the pills up (just in case) so if it gets worse tonight, I won't be tempted.

sorry no one's been posting. people just get busy with life on the weekends. i can tell u for a fact, and u will find out for urself, that it sure is nice to be able to do fun things with family and friends WITHOUT having any kind of pills or other substance BEFORE u do it.

ur going thru the worst of it now. u have to really hang on tight and be fully commited to this ok. yeah it's sure rough at times, but i promise u it's well worth it. treat all the symptoms as they come up, and know that every one of them will pass on their own.

take hot baths and/or showers to relax tired and sore muscles. use the items on the thomas recipe to ur benefit. glad the hubby is taking care of the pills. keep remembering that each minute, each hour, each day that passes is so much closer to the end ok.

get thru one moment at a time.....

i've got to run for a while, but will try to check on u later. hopefully others will be by to talk to u. u ARE doing this!

Thanks Kikker...you're helping more than you know. Please don't give up on me.

Some of the withdrawl symptoms are scary! The racing heart is awful and makes me worry that I'm having a heart attack or something.

I keep telling myself that the sun will go up and down for the next 5 days no matter what I do, so I might as well hold on and be drug free when the sun comes up on day 5. Where will I be if I DON'T do this??

iloerose is online now Platinum Member

Sickofit: Try some valerian root or some chamomile tea. Deep breathing helps some. Don't freak yourself out. Do you have immodium for the ahems? That sometimes helps a bit. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and fruit juices. Try some gatorade, that helps for any RLS. No energy drinks or caffiene at this point. Try advil or tylenol for your headache. The sun will come up and will set. You are doing the right thing at the right time. You will make it through this, you will: Hang Tough!

Peace,

Iloerose

Iloerose, thanks for the info! I actually slept a bit more tonight than expected...from about 10p to 3a which is more sleep than I've had in awhile. Total exhaustion will do that to you. I'm feeling MUCH better now than I did. I wonder if its possible that the worst of the anxiety is over. Normally, at night, I'm awake and riddled with anxiety about taking my medicine...I'm always worried about my pain breaking through and its been so bad I really don't want to deal with the pain. I'm uncomfortable and trying to deal with the pain but I'm not thinking about the pills...that's a good sign, right?

I won't let myself think that maybe this process will be easier than I thought. I'm just preparing myself for the next round of hell, whenever it may hit me in the next few hours.

Thanks again to everyone who has supported me and kept me going this far. I'm very nearly 24 hours in to this and I feel much better than I deserve to feel at this point. I pray it stays this way.
    winged eagle and burma59 like this.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast