info about methadone abuse
    kprice10 is offline New Member

Default info about methadone abuse

My boyfriend has been taking methadone for about 3 months. He wasn't prescribed them he buys them off of someone. What are the signs that he is an addict? So far his moods are horrible. Sometimes he is really loveable and nice& then other days he seems withdrawn. He wont talk to me and he sleeps a lot. I don't know how to help or fix him & I am scared this is going to ruin our relationship. Please help. any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Strong Desire is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by kprice10 View Post
    My boyfriend has been taking methadone for about 3 months. He wasn't prescribed them he buys them off of someone. What are the signs that he is an addict? So far his moods are horrible. Sometimes he is really loveable and nice& then other days he seems withdrawn. He wont talk to me and he sleeps a lot. I don't know how to help or fix him & I am scared this is going to ruin our relationship. Please help. any advice is appreciated. Thanks
    Hello kprice,

Welcome to the forum! Very nice to have you here. I am very new here so I won't give you any advice. But I can answer some of your question. The warning signs if he is an addict are almost exactly as you have described! Mood swings, excess sleeping, buying off of someone, and I will suspect that he is giving you some suspicious behavior.

Those are all things that were happening to me so my reply is from my experience! Others will be here shortly to offer you more suggestions and advice. I wish you the very best in your efforts. Keep posting as it really helps you learn more. Read the posts about similiar situations. Blessings.

Karen
    Last edited by Strong Desire; 06-12-2012 at 07:11 PM.

rxqueen83 is offline Member

krprice
    Those are the classic, text book symptoms of an addict. I'm sure he's up when he's high and when he's not high, he's down. Methadone can make a person very, very tired AND, please hear my warning. From someone who OD'd on methadone and almost never woke up! Methadone can relax the respiratory system so much that one can easily go to sleep and never wake up. Especially anyone mixing methadone with benzo's (valium, xanax, klonopin) which a LOT of people do. He needs to be careful. More so, he needs help. He's going to need help coming off methadone and needs to really, seriously consider what a problem that drug can become for people. We're not talking about a vicodin here. Methadone is a potent, addicting medication. It's great for people in long term, chronic pain and also helps IV >>>>>> addicts. It's dangerous in the wrong hands. I can't express that enough.

I see your here, and that's great. Where is he in all this? Does he want help? Does he want to quit? Does he know your concerned? This could go one of two ways basically. Either he wants help and will accept it, or he doesn't, and won't. Either way, yes, this is going to effect your relationship. It already has or you wouldn't be here.

There's lots of information here and lots of support. Great people who are willing to help anybody. BUT he has to want help, otherwise your efforts will be totally in vain. It can be hellish and exhausting to be involved with an addict, especially one that doesn't want help.