Like Tree1Likes
Imovaine / Zopiclone - WARNING FOR USERS
    Zealand is offline New Member

Default Imovaine / Zopiclone - WARNING FOR USERS

For those that are not aware Imovaine (the brand name for the drug Zopiclone) is used to treat sleep disorders.

I am a mid 20 professional who travels considerably due to the nature of my work. As a result I am prescribed Imovaine to aid me with my travelling. For this purpose Imovaine is fantastic as it doesn't leave you drowsy post flight. On the occasions when it has been used at home due to a poor nights sleep it has also worked perfectly. At no point have I ever experienced any adverse reactions when used as prescribed.

The problems arise when Imovaine is abused.

My friends and I have abused Imovaine and I want to tell those who are interested our stories so you are better educated and hopefully don't follow in our foot steps. It is also important to note that a number of recreational drug users use Imovane to aid come downs (from MDMA, Meth etc). In my opinion this makes my comments even more relevant as it is these users who are more likely to experiment with Imovaine.

One night I discovered with a friend that you could take Imovaine to enhance your drunken state without falling asleep, essentially it further hindered your motor skills whilst maintaining your ability to converse. The combination of taking Imovaine and alcohol continued for some time. The frequency of taking this combo increased significantly when I met my current partner who through a completely different avenue was also using Imovaine to get an additional high from drinking. This was somewhat disturbing as I had only just started taking Imovaine and already I was finding independent people who were also taking it to enhance their drinking experience!

With my new partner (we'll call her Leigh) Leigh the situation escalated; as she was a flight attendant she had amble supply of Imovaine so now quantity wasn't an issue. At this point the 'blackouts' started to occur (blackouts being complete loss of memory whilst maintaining consciousness). For example on one particular night I guess that I had 6 Imovaine with about 2 bottles of red wine. I recall getting into an argument with my partner and that was it. The next day I woke up with cuts and bruises all over. I was oblivious of what had happened (this had never happened to me before).

Leigh and my friend were able to fill in the missing night for me. Apparently I got aggressive and broke up with Leigh, threatened my friend, smashed a considerable number of dishes in the kitchen. They managed to put me to bed, only to have me escape onto the roof (of our 2 story house) to spy on them as they talked outside. At one point I put my foot through the roof, alerting them and fortunately saving me from a certain fall. Eventually sleep took control and I woke up dazed and confused.

This was naturally a very disturbing situation, my behaviour, the insane paranoia I was displaying whilst being totally unaware that I was even ‘conscious!’. Even more concerning was the fact that the actual amount of imovaine had gone from 60 to 20 in one night. My friends swear that they didn't take any more than 5, so where did the others go? This was a scenario that played out many times and the only conclusion I can make is that you self medicate once you have blacked out making the situation even more concerning.

Although the roof incident shocked us it only took a couple of weeks until we were back into it. And almost without fail the same situation played out, I cannot remember any of that night. Leigh woke up with bruises all over her legs; I had them on my arms and back. Neither of us had any idea where we had been or what had happened the night prior.

You'd hope at this stage one would realise that imovaine and alcohol isn't a good match. And we did stop taking them in combo until a trip to London. Now as we were in London, coming off a 30 hr flight from New Zealand Imovaine was needed. Unfortunately the second night on red wine (common partner in crime) was when the 3rd incident occurred, this one I had greater memory of in the sense that I recall breaking up with Leigh in the most egotistical way, making her think it was all her fault and that she'll never be happy. At this point I must point out that Leigh and I have the most loving relationship, so I have no idea where my approach was derived, regardless it had an horrific affect. According to my friend I subsequently went to bed and Leigh lost it completely. Was unable to be talked to and was totally irrational. My friend caught her in the bathroom of the hotel trying to cut her wrists.

So for the 3rd time I wake up knowing that something has happened but once again having to rely on my best mate to tell me that the love of my life almost killed herself. At this point I realised that I either needed to do something about the situation or someone was going to die, either way I was already beginning to lose friends who couldn't handle the total stranger who aggravated them when I was on Imovaine.

Fortunately I managed to sort myself out. At no point would I say I was addicted to Imovaine, It was simply used to enhance our drinking experience. There were 3 of us who took similar doses (3 - 7 before blackout occurred), all 3 had examples of blackout (in one case it appears my friend drove his car across town). I seemed to have the lowest tolerance which is surprising as I am the biggest of the 3. My partner Leigh had 11 in one night and still appeared fine and she is 50kgs.

Although I wish my story stopped here it doesn't. Months post the Imovaine madness Leigh is away at the moment with work. Historically she took Imovaine way before I did and only on the very odd occasion did she experience blackouts so as a result she decided she would still use them for sleeping purposes. Over the past week we have had some relationship issues, obviously difficult to explain via a blog but she is concerned that I don't want to be with her long term. Unfortunately the country she is in allows you to buy Imovaine over the counter at the local pharmacy.

Tonight I received a call from her tonight drunk and on Imovaine, she was completely irrational. Her purpose of the call was to let me know that she was going to kill herself. She'd taken 1O Imovaine and she was going to take the remaining 110.

To cut a long story short I managed to talk her out of it, although the main reason she didn't do it was that I believe her threats are a cry for help from someone who suffers from depression. Imovaine in this situation in conjunction with Alcohol is a lethal combination. One that may have resulted in the loss of my beautiful girl if I had missed one phone call.

I apologies that this is such a long thread. And it maybe a waste of time as no one else out there maybe silly enough as us to take high amounts of Imovaine as us. But just in case you got this far, 3 last points to conclude.

1) Imovaine and Alcohol is bad bad news. It can totally change your personality and has the potential to send you into a conscious albeit catatonic state.

2) DO NOT take Imovaine if you suffer from depression as it focuses your problems and can lead to suicidal thoughts (and I have no doubt actions).

3) Use it only as directed. It is simply not worth the risk.

Anyway, I hope this was of some help to those of you who might find this relavent. Any questions or comments please don't hesitate.

As I am keen to post my story on as many health sites as possible so if anyone could point me in the direction of other medical sites that might benefit from this information please let me know.

Regards,

It's been a hard night

Dave
    Last edited by ddcmod; 09-21-2009 at 03:22 PM.

lizery is offline Member

I'm sorry you are having a bad time with this [xx(]I have never heard of this drug, is it only in Australia?

Liz

just hold on

lizery is offline Member

I meant New Zealand. I see that it is something like ambien or lunesta maybe?

Liz

just hold on

Zealand is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by lizery

I meant New Zealand. I see that it is something like ambien or lunesta maybe?

Liz

just hold on
    Hi Liz,

just reviewed the information on the drugs.com website re Imovaine (http://www.drugs.com/cons/Imovane.html) and although it is a very common sleeping pill in New Zealand, Australia, Canada and throughout the EU it appears it is not commercially available in the states.

d

Dave

scar1ett is offline New Member

Hi. I just logged on to this site after doing a search on imovane and landing up here. I really have no idea where I am. lol Physically, I'm in Canada and from what I've read, we have more access to imovane.

But I simply HAVE to share my story. I use Percacet, periodically, for chronic pain. I have a hard time sleeping with narcotics so I OCCASIONALLY take a sleep aide. Haven't done it that often so it's taken a number of years to finally find out what I've discovered. Some nights it seemed that I went a little 'whacko' on the Percs - with no apparent reason why. And, of course, blamed it on the Percocet. Did unexplained and sometimes unremembered things - that I would discover the next day. Oh well, chock one up for Percs, I thought. BUT an incident occured lately that made me reexamine the entire thing.

For a couple of nights in succession, I decided to 'mellow out' before going to sleep. Watch a movie, make a cappucino, etc. So I took my Percs (nice buzz right) took a couple of imovane so that I would eventually fall asleep and we're off to a good evening. NOT!!!!!! I have discovered that imovane with narcotics makes me insane. Not fun insane either! It makes me do things I wouldn't do, things that make no sense. And for anyone who is an addict, thinking "oh yeah, gotta try that" - it's not "fun" stuff either. No 'good high' - just dump **** things. So, I've followed up on this - have family around to observe etc - and sure as hell. Imovane and narcotics are dangerous together! Just wanted to add that and hopefully keep someone from doing some thing very stupid!

HavanaClub is offline New Member

Great post, thanks for sharing. I'm thinking of getting imovaine myself. I'll keep this in mind.

PsycoSi is offline New Member

Default Zopiclone and alcohol is a really bad idea.

I don't normally go with signing up for this sort of thing, but after reading the posts above I really felt I had to say what happened to me this weekend just gone.

OK, so, I have been on Zopiclone for 5 YEARS. That plus some other heavy duty medication for the same period, namely Trazadone and Quetiepine . All high doses all taken together at night just to get me to sleep (which can still take hours to come about. Not only that but I have a bad drink problem (on average a litre of vodka per night. Now I used to be a drug addict taking anything from 13-15 E's per night out mixed with a couple of grams of coke and Speed and then a hell of alot of smoke to bring me down. All this led to severe mental illness, hence the need for the prescribed drugs.

When I came off the drugs and was left with the drink problem I accidentally stumbled across the high you can get from zopiclone and it was great (free too which was a great bonus). So I maxed it out all the time taking heavy doses during the day 'till it stopped giving me the high anymore.

Normally the drink combined with everything else I now take isn't a problem for me on a night, but this weekend while in drink and before I took any medication I had a small psycotic episode and tried to get help from professionals on the phone to talk me through it, which worked and so decided to just take Zopiclone and go to sleep, but before I had slipped into the land of nod the police turned up at my door and I was arrested for the safety of myself and others. Thats when the Zopiclone kicked in. But I didn't fall asleep, instead I completely blacked out while in custody and am now facing prison for assaulting 2 police officers of which I have absolutely no recollection of doing.

So the moral to this story is, think really, really hard before doing such a stupid thing as mixing zopiclone with drink.

Sorry for such a long post. Hope this makes whoever reads it think twice.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards.
    Last edited by PsycoSi; 11-19-2008 at 07:04 PM.

PsycoSi is offline New Member

Sorry I failed to mention this was with just 2 7.5mg tabs, my usual dose.

kelkat is offline New Member

I am sorry about everything that has happened. I am on effexor (depression/anxiety)and imovane(sleep). I know a lot of meds state do not consume alcohol, however, I will remember your post and the warning. When I have partied, I have skipped the imovane until early am because I've always been afraid I wouldn't wake up. I don't have to worry about skipping the med anymore because I haven't drank in a while (for no particular reason). What did you mean by point 2) "DO NOT take Imovaine if you suffer from depression as it focuses your problems and can lead to suicidal thoughts (and I have no doubt actions).

I'd like to speak about #2 above a little more with you. I do not have suicidal thoughts however the word "focus your problems" may be a concern.

Thanks for the warning and I'm sorry about everything that has happened. Reply if you can.

Phoebe_Twayblade is offline Junior Member

I think the active ingredient in this drug is the same as that in Lunesta and Ambien / Ambien-CR.

It is not available over the counter in the USA.

Red face zoplicon and alcohol bad

hello,

Just want to add my story to the others, thought my experience was abnormal but seems its quite common, i just been prescribed this medication for sleep issues for about 2 weeks prior last Friday night when my experiences happened, about 10 pm i had a few beers ( 5 beers ) then took 2 zoplicones before i went to sleep, i woke up in the same position thinking it was the next day Saturday, well i noticed i had some other beers of a different brand by my bed and all my art work was scatted all over the floor and all of my zoplicones (15) were gone....vanished, in being really confused about this i turned on my computer and realized it was 7.30am Sunday, as it turns out i had quite a time to which i completely unaware of,
    well i got up at 3am Saturday and skyped my mate who is a night owl and reading back on the message it was barely understandable then walked 4 km to his place which is in town above shops and watched him play video games and then had a jam with me playing drums which he said sounded good, then 7am came about i talked him into going half's in a doz of beer to which i purchased at the store and spent few hours drinking them back some how bought more bourbon then walked all the way home to friends waiting concerned asking questions and me just ignoring them, then at some point going to bed, now the whole time i was described as a zombie and completely made no sense when i talked and yet was able to do all these complex things whilst sleep walking ?????? well Ive learned my lesson and thanking my lucky stars i did not find bad company and in hindsight things could of gone so wrong, what ever you do don't drink on these its not worth the risk,
    Last edited by intergalacticstarsurfer; 09-21-2009 at 10:20 AM.

Anonymous Guest

Default imovane warning

In case you haven't noticed the warning on the packet, Imovane should not be used with alcohol. It is also not recommended for people who are addicted to any substance, or who have a history of substance abuse.

I have no sympathy for all of you people who have tried to use Imovane as a recreational drug by mixing it with alcohol in above the dosage prescribed by your doctor and then had a bad reaction. You're lucky to still be alive if this is how you want to use this drug.

For people who just need to get a good nights sleep, Imovane is fantastic. Many doctors can be recluctant to prescribe it because too many morons, like those who have shared their experiences on this page, abuse it.

StayCo03115 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by des.tonge View Post
    In case you haven't noticed the warning on the packet, Imovane should not be used with alcohol. It is also not recommended for people who are addicted to any substance, or who have a history of substance abuse.

I have no sympathy for all of you people who have tried to use Imovane as a recreational drug by mixing it with alcohol in above the dosage prescribed by your doctor and then had a bad reaction. You're lucky to still be alive if this is how you want to use this drug.

For people who just need to get a good nights sleep, Imovane is fantastic. Many doctors can be recluctant to prescribe it because too many morons, like those who have shared their experiences on this page, abuse it.
    Look at the dates of these posts!
    I don't like your tone.