I'm withdrawing from opiates, and it's hellish...I'm on day 5...please respond! :(
    Am_I_AlmostThere? is offline New Member

Exclamation I'm withdrawing from opiates, and it's hellish...I'm on day 5...please respond! :(

Folks, Hi everyone!

So I ran out of my OxyContin (40mg strength) 5 days ago. I went to the ER, and a sweet doctor gave me 20 Vicodin (7.5/750mg), which were supposed to last me five days...they did.

However, she also prescribed me Clonidine 0.1mg and Promethazine 25mg in order to help my withdrawals. And it worked, too.

I found one last OxyContin 40mg, as well as one more Vicodin, both of which I've been staying away from, so as to see how much more of this I can take, which, God, I don't think will...well, hopefully, will be quite a bit longer.

The whole thing has been awful, naturally, and my girlfriend has been awesome. I can't even believe how "good" (<-- yea, ok) I feel, and the fact that I'm typing on my Thinkpad.

I do have a few specific questions...Is it true that three days...3 days...supposedly, can break any habit??

To answer that, I'll have to disclose as to how much and how frequently I have taken opiates. I started in the fall of 2005, so it has been 3 years, almost to the date! However, it has "only" been since March of THIS year since I've taken OxyContin, and always 40mg, which is obviously very high strength. Before, my choice was Norco, Lorcet, so pretty much Hydrocodone/APAP combinations.

Again, given what I've written above, when should I expect to get rid of this??

I couldn't even leave the house today, or yesterday, etc., due to the overwhelming symptoms.

Also: I've managed to cut it from 40mg of oxycodone to a half of the 7.5/750 hydrocodone, so basically I've been taking 3.75/375mg of hydrocodone.

What should I do? I'm starting to lose it here.

pbs8218 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Am_I_AlmostThere? View Post
    Folks, Hi everyone!

So I ran out of my OxyContin (40mg strength) 5 days ago. I went to the ER, and a sweet doctor gave me 20 Vicodin (7.5/750mg), which were supposed to last me five days...they did.

However, she also prescribed me Clonidine 0.1mg and Promethazine 25mg in order to help my withdrawals. And it worked, too.

I found one last OxyContin 40mg, as well as one more Vicodin, both of which I've been staying away from, so as to see how much more of this I can take, which, God, I don't think will...well, hopefully, will be quite a bit longer.

The whole thing has been awful, naturally, and my girlfriend has been awesome. I can't even believe how "good" (<-- yea, ok) I feel, and the fact that I'm typing on my Thinkpad.

I do have a few specific questions...Is it true that three days...3 days...supposedly, can break any habit??

To answer that, I'll have to disclose as to how much and how frequently I have taken opiates. I started in the fall of 2005, so it has been 3 years, almost to the date! However, it has "only" been since March of THIS year since I've taken OxyContin, and always 40mg, which is obviously very high strength. Before, my choice was Norco, Lorcet, so pretty much Hydrocodone/APAP combinations.

Again, given what I've written above, when should I expect to get rid of this??

I couldn't even leave the house today, or yesterday, etc., due to the overwhelming symptoms.

Also: I've managed to cut it from 40mg of oxycodone to a half of the 7.5/750 hydrocodone, so basically I've been taking 3.75/375mg of hydrocodone.

What should I do? I'm starting to lose it here.
    am i almost there. go back and read all the posts. look up the thomas recipe. It works. You need to read up on this, get what you need, and three days is not going to break anything. It's a journey, as I've found now at almost 9 days. You have your ups and downs. But it a journey I know I'll always remember and I won't give up on which is why I say do your research, get what you need, read what people are going through. we are all here helping each other, some weak one day, but could be the strongest the next. Good luck, god bless, and read all the posts. Peg

Anonymous Guest

Hi AlmostThere
    We are all a little different.some take a little longer than others.
    I was addicted to oxycontin and vics also,It was also for 3 years.
    I did a taper off of them,and went to about 20 ten mg vics a day and then started a taper on them...
    I got down to 2 five mg of vics and then just quit.
    If your still taking the 7.5 of hydros,I think your just prolonging it out.
    I would stop taking the hydros at this point,and just get this over with.
    You can do this,you have made it this far its going to start to get better.
    you just need to stop all the pain pills.
    Keep posting and let us know how you are doing..
    Talk to you soon, Melinda

Red face

I want to congratulate you on your 10 days clean!!

By the way, for you, and everyone else, the Clonodine and the Promathezine help a LOT, should anyone want to try it out. Really quite amazing. Now back to your regularly scheduled misery.......

Yea, the Thomas recipe, I had looked that up already, but thanks for reminding me. What I've done so far is eat a lot of bananas for potassium, Gatorade for replenishing electrolytes, lots of water, lots of multivitamins, and I even have what someone suggested, a benzo, but not Xanax (which that poster had suggested). I have a truckload of Klonopin, and the 2mg strength at that. I have yet to do the hot baths, though.

Am I missing something??

And just now, I am getting sooooooooooooo furious that I EVER EVER EVER let myself get into this stupid situation...I had NEVER been addicted to anything until this, and I fell into the trap.........[/end rant]

I'm also very much concerned about psychological dependency, as I have depression, OCD, and GAD (anxiety)...3:14pm...day 4 is coming up.

Should I just totally stop it now?? Is the reduction from 40mg of a 3 times as potent naroctic, to 3.75mg significant, or is the complete stoppage going to be telling??

Also, as far as my Klonopin goes, which I legitimately take for anxiety, along with Paxil. Should I just knock myself out with the Klonopin and sleep it off???

Thank you all so very much. I'm trying to be strong.

Quote Originally Posted by melinda7.5 View Post
    Hi AlmostThere
    We are all a little different.some take a little longer than others.
    I was addicted to oxycontin and vics also,It was also for 3 years.
    I did a taper off of them,and went to about 20 ten mg vics a day and then started a taper on them...
    I got down to 2 five mg of vics and then just quit.
    If your still taking the 7.5 of hydros,I think your just prolonging it out.
    I would stop taking the hydros at this point,and just get this over with.
    You can do this,you have made it this far its going to start to get better.
    you just need to stop all the pain pills.
    Keep posting and let us know how you are doing..
    I LOVE YOU, Melinda!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man, you just put an ear-to-ear smile on me, when you said "let's get this over with" lolol...awesome!!!

I also happen to agree with you. Can I honestly talk about day # whatever, when I am still breaking 7.5's in half? My metabolism is great. Will that make a difference?? My appetite seems to have improved as well.

Thank you again Melinda, and everyone else!! Do you guys talk to each other on the phone. I've found it's helped me talking to my girlfriend a lot. But she cannot understand this as we can.

Thanks again!!

Anonymous Guest

I want to congratulate you on your 10 days clean!!

By the way, for you, and everyone else, the Clonodine and the Promathezine help a LOT, should anyone want to try it out. Really quite amazing. Now back to your regularly scheduled misery.......

Yea, the Thomas recipe, I had looked that up already, but thanks for reminding me. What I've done so far is eat a lot of bananas for potassium, Gatorade for replenishing electrolytes, lots of water, lots of multivitamins, and I even have what someone suggested, a benzo, but not Xanax (which that poster had suggested). I have a truckload of Klonopin, and the 2mg strength at that. I have yet to do the hot baths, though.

Am I missing something??

And just now, I am getting sooooooooooooo furious that I EVER EVER EVER let myself get into this stupid situation...I had NEVER been addicted to anything until this, and I fell into the trap.........[/end rant]

I'm also very much concerned about psychological dependency, as I have depression, OCD, and GAD (anxiety)...3:14pm...day 4 is coming up.

Should I just totally stop it now?? Is the reduction from 40mg of a 3 times as potent naroctic, to 3.75mg significant, or is the complete stoppage going to be telling??

Also, as far as my Klonopin goes, which I legitimately take for anxiety, along with Paxil. Should I just knock myself out with the Klonopin and sleep it off???

Thank you all so very much. I'm trying to be strong.
    Hi AlmostThere
    The oxy that you were taking,if they are 40mg,one pill =8 perc so if you were taking 3 a day,that would =24 percs a day,now you are down to a half of a 7.5 vic is that right,I don't think the half of the pill is doing to much for you.LOL
    I know you feel bad right now But you really are doing a great job.
    I promise if you can just hold on you will start to feel better.Just take it 15 min at a time.
    I took some klonopin when I was going through my W/d and it helped me.
    Just let some time pass and you will come out on the other side.
    keep posting it helps,Talk to you soon ,Melinda

Anonymous Guest

I LOVE YOU, Melinda!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man, you just put an ear-to-ear smile on me, when you said "let's get this over with" lolol...awesome!!!

I also happen to agree with you. Can I honestly talk about day # whatever, when I am still breaking 7.5's in half? My metabolism is great. Will that make a difference?? My appetite seems to have improved as well.

Thank you again Melinda, and everyone else!! Do you guys talk to each other on the phone. I've found it's helped me talking to my girlfriend a lot. But she cannot understand this as we can.

Thanks again!!
    Hi almostthere
    You just made me smile to...
    yes some of us talk on the phone,and we can e-mail to just click on the name like melinda7.5. talk to you soon, Melinda

Hi AlmostThere
    The oxy that you were taking,if they are 40mg,one pill =8 perc so if you were taking 3 a day,that would =24 percs a day,now you are down to a half of a 7.5 vic is that right,I don't think the half of the pill is doing to much for you.LOL
    I know you feel bad right now But you really are doing a great job.
    I promise if you can just hold on you will start to feel better.Just take it 15 min at a time.
    I took some klonopin when I was going through my W/d and it helped me.
    Just let some time pass and you will come out on the other side.
    keep posting it helps,Talk to you soon ,Melinda
    Man, you are great. I just finished eating a nice Tostada salad w/ beef, beans, lolol...etc. I actually have a huge grin on my face. I'm so glad that my appetite is...well, back to normal!?!??!?!

I'm saying this, as I would have only been able to say Thanks, but no thanks <runs to the bathroom> lol...

As for OxyContin vs. the few Percocets that I did take, and I always had the 10/325. Hydro's were usually 10/325 also, i.e. Norco. I am acutely aware of the liver problems that can arise when too much acetaminophen (Tylenol) is consumed over years and years. I guess I'm a responsible addict.

OMG haha...you're SO funny. Just re-read your post, and yes, you're right, the 1/2 7.5 doesn't do a whole lot. lol...It does, however, (I want to say!?) cushion the blow...?

I've also been SO incredibly weak. Primarily because I haven't eaten, according to another posts here.

ugh....I feel like there's a ton of weight on me again...

Anonymous Guest

Man, you are great. I just finished eating a nice Tostada salad w/ beef, beans, lolol...etc. I actually have a huge grin on my face. I'm so glad that my appetite is...well, back to normal!?!??!?!

I'm saying this, as I would have only been able to say Thanks, but no thanks <runs to the bathroom> lol...

As for OxyContin vs. the few Percocets that I did take, and I always had the 10/325. Hydro's were usually 10/325 also, i.e. Norco. I am acutely aware of the liver problems that can arise when too much acetaminophen (Tylenol) is consumed over years and years. I guess I'm a responsible addict.

OMG haha...you're SO funny. Just re-read your post, and yes, you're right, the 1/2 7.5 doesn't do a whole lot. lol...It does, however, (I want to say!?) cushion the blow...?

I've also been SO incredibly weak. Primarily because I haven't eaten, according to another posts here.

ugh....I feel like there's a ton of weight on me again...
    Hi almost
    Oh man,do I know what you mean about being weak,I can remember that,so well...I just laid on the couch and watched The lord of the rings movies
    the first few days.
    You sound really good tho, and I'm glad your eating.your right that will help.
    i know I got down to 5mg vics,hydros. but after taking those oxys the vics didn't do to much, but in my mind they did.But i did stop when I got that far down.
    Are you trying to work and do this or do you have some down.
    When I went back to work I thought I was going to die.LOL
    but I made it,I just took it a little at a time.
    You really are going to do this,you have done the hard part, and that is deciding to do it.
    just remember to talk to your self,and tell yourself its time to kick ***,becouse your going to do it...you should be really proud of youself...

Hi almost
    Oh man,do I know what you mean about being weak,I can remember that,so well...I just laid on the couch and watched The lord of the rings movies
    the first few days.
    You sound really good tho, and I'm glad your eating.your right that will help.
    i know I got down to 5mg vics,hydros. but after taking those oxys the vics didn't do to much, but in my mind they did.But i did stop when I got that far down.
    Are you trying to work and do this or do you have some down.
    When I went back to work I thought I was going to die.LOL
    but I made it,I just took it a little at a time.
    You really are going to do this,you have done the hard part, and that is deciding to do it.
    just remember to talk to your self,and tell yourself its time to kick ***,becouse your going to do it...you should be really proud of youself...
    Melinda,

Hi again! Thanks for your advice! And thank you for your encouraging thoughtful words! I haven't even taken the OxyContin that I still have!!! I suffered pretty good this afternoon (also watched movies lol). I just lay down to go to sleep, but couldn't, and I wanted to look if I had a response.

Sitting here writing this, again, I don't feel too bad. Weak, ********************py, discomfort, and a whole lot of BMW (B*tch, Moan, and Whine) lol...

I've been running my own business for a looong time. The last 5 days definitely have interfered with my clients.

Last post I sent you (it looks like this is our private thread), I had felt horrible, but now it's better.

I can't believe these two additional drugs knocked out my constant urge to move my legs, arms, etc. RLS is the label for that one, isn't it? lol...

It also helps me sleep. And sleep was always the problem. I could not, for the life of me, fall asleep, and the .00000001% that I DID fall asleep, I couldn't STAY asleep.

A friend of mine suggested a detox clinic. I'm not so sure I either want, nor need that.

I wonder what lies ahead tomorrow...

Anonymous Guest

Melinda,

Hi again! Thanks for your advice! And thank you for your encouraging thoughtful words! I haven't even taken the OxyContin that I still have!!! I suffered pretty good this afternoon (also watched movies lol). I just lay down to go to sleep, but couldn't, and I wanted to look if I had a response.

Sitting here writing this, again, I don't feel too bad. Weak, ********************py, discomfort, and a whole lot of BMW (B*tch, Moan, and Whine) lol...

I've been running my own business for a looong time. The last 5 days definitely have interfered with my clients.

Last post I sent you (it looks like this is our private thread), I had felt horrible, but now it's better.

I can't believe these two additional drugs knocked out my constant urge to move my legs, arms, etc. RLS is the label for that one, isn't it? lol...

It also helps me sleep. And sleep was always the problem. I could not, for the life of me, fall asleep, and the .00000001% that I DID fall asleep, I couldn't STAY asleep.

A friend of mine suggested a detox clinic. I'm not so sure I either want, nor need that.

I wonder what lies ahead tomorrow...
    Hi Almost
    I can remember when I first found this forum,I was on here posting all the time,I was saying, OK,I made it 2 hours.then I would be back in another hour.But it gave me the strength that I needed to get through it.

Sorry about the sleep I have had sleep issues for ever.OMG...
    Does your klonopin still help with that???

I glad you don't have to work right now,that helps when you have your own business,I have my own business too...
    I had my stash of vics when I quit my drugs to,but I ended up flushing them.Let me tell you that felt so good.You should try it with the rest of your stash...LOL...see how I'm trying to talk you into it...LOL

This has been are own privet thread now that you say it.LOL
    I'm sure Robert will jump in here in the morning.
    He always has good things to say.
    When he answered my post,boy did I think I was special.LOL
    I will be at work tomorrow,But just get on here and post,like I said Robert or some of the others will be here.
    I hope you have a good night and get some sleep.I will talk to you tomorrow.
    I will say some prayers for you...
    Melinda

Anonymous Guest

Default Same Thing

I went through the same thing at days 2-6 all my bones and muscles ached and twitched all the time, it was horrible. What helped me was frequent hot showers, plus if you have any in your house I took flexril (a mild muscle relaxer) and tylenol PM at night. All that kept it to a tolerable level at night so I could at least get a little sleep. Since you are at day 6 I would bet the worst is behind you, over the next few days things should start to taper off, I am now at day 9 and almost symptom free. Please dont give up you have made it this far hang in there !!!!!

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Default Am_I_AlmostThere?

Congratulations on the six days! I just finished reading your posts and you have done really well. You've got a great attitude. I would have posted earlier but was off the forum most of this weekend. Took a couple days off.

You've received lots of good suggestions. I wanted to add that for me sleep was the last thing to return to normal whatever normal is. Sleep problems are very common for the majority people detoxing from RX opiates. Ecxept for a very short relapse following some serious dental problems I've been clean since 2002 and I still don't sleep well. Don't think that I ever will most likely.

No way that I would knock myself out with klonopin at this point. You're past the very worst of the opiate detox at this point. There could still be a couple more tough days but it shouldn't be much longer. Don't do anything that could cause any additional problems. I must admit to abusing benzos for over 25 years. I consider them to be probably the most serious RX medication there is to be abused. It's seemingly so innocent as we are just trying to settle ourselves down from anxiety and stress. But the longterm effects of xanax, klonopin, valium, ativan ... or whatever are bad. I won't go into a long drawn out sermon on benzo abuse but I am basically militant about benzos. The detox from benzos makes opiate detox seem rather simple. Try to not use them anymore often or in a greater dose than is absolutely necessary. All they are used for in opiate detox is to get us past the worst symptoms for a few days.

After six days of detox I think going into a rehab at this point would be pointless. I doubt that most rehabs would even want to admit you being as far along as you are. Most patients admitted for detox only are usually released after 4-6 days anyway. So you're already beyond the amount of time they would even be helping you with this. Just stay focused on your recovery and don't use no matter what. God bless.

Thank you, HAFSGTSAM. Thank you, Robert_325, and thank you Melinda!

You guys are great, and I thank you for taking the time to try to help me. Wow...

Robert, I hear you on the benzo's. I guess luckily for me, I have no adverse reaction to this drug. I am cognizant, however, that some people do have horrible problems getting away from that, especially the fast acting Xanax.

So I have only a few Hydrocodone meds left. These are the 5/500, and broken in half, it creates a dosage of 2.5/250, which is what I'm doing now, on day...7??

I tried getting off it altogether today, and was able to keep it up for 8 hours, before I broke down and took half of the 5/500.

I am still stunned by how this Clonodine and Promethazine have helped the w/d symptoms, but I'm having difficulties getting this done!??!?!

I'm lucky to live in an area with some of the best medical care facilities and specialists in the United States. I called a few doctors today, and made two appointments. These doctors specialize in opiate w/d's, and would prescribe Suboxone for me.

What exactly is that? I did some research, and I understand that the drug releases a small amount of opiate, and will kill off any remaining w/d symptoms. I just can't seem to go to 0/0mg, so to speak lol...Even the tiny amount of 2.5/250 (down from 3.75/375) still keeps me going.

I don't want to disappoint you guys lol...or get disappointed in myself for that matter.

Will I then get addicted to Suboxone? Is it hard to stop the Suboxone?? I thought I'd ask, just in case any of you knew more about it.

How come I was able to go from 40mg 5 times/day to 2.5/250mg 3 times a day, but can't seem to close this out (yet!). I'm out of my nausea medication, so I have to get more of that.

By the way, I'm an occasional pot smoker, which is legal where I live. It is considered a Schedule I substance (highest), but it is NOT in ANY way addictive whatsoever to me, while these opiates are C-II's, and C-III's respectively, and are horrendous. Aaaarghhh!

Thanks again everyone!!!

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Suboxone is a great medication for opiate w/d. There are a ton of threads on the forum with people on suboxone. A bunch of the people you've been talking to are on it now. The thing is it isn't the only way to get clean. You are so far along in this process that my opinion is it would be a mistake for you. You just need to suck it up and deal with this. You've only got a matter of days to go and you'll be done. Of course I would do whatever I could do to help you with the suboxone. But I would surely rather try to help you finish this the way you're doing it. You've come so far. God bless.