I'm new and am detoxing off Tramadol
    ready2enjoylife is offline New Member

Default I'm new and am detoxing off Tramadol

This isn't my first merry go round. But I want this to be my last! I swear detoxing from Tramdol is so much worse than an actual opiate. IMO. So today is Day 2 and of course is worse than yesterday. My body is aching, I've had trouble staying asleep, and get weird dreams when I do acutally fall asleep. I am going from hot sweats/cols sweats. My hands and toes are like ice. I have some anxiety. My tummy is a bit off, and I am kinda gassy, and finally having bowel movements. Not diarrhea as of yet. Just the extra soft stuff. Sorry if TMI. I have had some green tea today with honey. And nothing to eat. I was actually able to eat some on Day 1, but food just doesn't seem very appealing to me today. Even though my tummy is growling like crazy. I think I will mange to eat a bannana before the day is over, and try to force some more fluids like gatorade in me. Other than that, I have kids to care for, and us parent's know that it becomes even more of a battle. I don't want to just lay in bed all day and feel sorry for myself, but I also have no energy to do much of anything. My endorhphins really need a boost. I have some mid depression, and with as many times as I have relapsed each time seems harder.

I have to admit, I really want to this, but I don't seem to have enough strength to pull it through, any suggestions? Any advice or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise I will try my hardest to do this right once and for all.

Hey
    Well your on the right track. The worst should be over soon. Exercise when you can and I haven't tried this myself and it probably contradicts the fact that you should stay away from sugar while detoxing but I'm wondering If energy drinks would help with the energy a little?

lawyer100 is offline Junior Member

Default Help for tramadol detox

I have been through both tramadol and opiate detox. I can tell you that coming off of the tramadol was almost just as bad as the opiate withdrawals. You're on day 2 which is great so keep going, even though you probably know days 3 and 4 may be the worst, but after that it should get easier. A little side note too--after you get the tramadol out of your system and the physical withdrawals are over, you should be good, there shouldn't be any depression or psychological issues that come with opiate withdrawal. That is in my experience anyhow. I used tramadol for at least 2 years continuously. I used opiates for about the same time, but in much heavier amounts and very strong opiates.

You could always try the Thomas recipe that's recommended for opiate withdrawal-just google it and you'll find it. Take lots of hot baths with epsom salts if your legs are really bothering you (that was one of my biggest problems with detox). If you've got any valium, or something similar, take that to help with sleep and to relax your muscles. Exercise might help, but I personally didn't feel like doing anything when withdrawing. Everyone is different in what helps them during a detox. I ate a lot of potassium enriched foods when coming off the opiates, which should also be good for you off the tramadol (since it works just like an opiate does on the brain).

Just try and stay busy. If you can't sleep, don't push it or keep laying in bed. Get up and do something, anything to keep u busy. But stay strong and keep with this. You're on day 2, just keep thinking only 2 or 3 more days and then you'll be on the upside towards feeling better. Take care and good luck.

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Dear Ready,

Just wanted to chime in to encourage you through this process. Tramadol is a nightmare to detox off from; it's as bad as any opiate withdrawal. BUT, the only way past it is through it - and I'm so glad to see you're doing it. One day at a time, one moment at a time - and it will be behind you soon. Remind yourself that all you need to accomplish each day (right now) is to get through it without a drug. Anything beyond that - even washing the dishes or taking little Bobby to Little League! - isn't as important to your future (and their future!) as this is. So even if you have to be a bit of a couch potato for a few days, so be it. Your mind and body are healing.

Each day that you stay strong is the greatest gift you could EVER give your children - I promise. Each day clean is the biggest "I love you" you could ever say to them. They deserve a mom who is completely emotionally present in their lives, and it will make all the difference in their future. (My daughter was 8 when I first got clean - she is now 28 and credits my recovery with the biggest turn-around in her life. She does NOT use drugs or alcohol, and is [surprisingly!] well adjusted!)

You can do this. It's a few days of pain for years of gain.

I strongly suggest you attend some meetings of AA or NA, to help you to continue on this path. The toughest part of recovery is not the first week of detoxing; it's the process of staying clean that trips up most folks. AA and NA can teach you the essential tools you'll need - to keep from returning to the pills.

God bless - and keep us posted!
    Ruth

PS - Try writing your thoughts and feelings down - here or in a journal. That may help tremendously, and you'll have it to refer to down the road, when "temptations" come your way. It's one thing you can do without too much effort that may help!

Default Hope you are doing well

Just checking in to see how it is going with you Ready...have you managed to stay off the Tramadol? I agree with artist-sobriety is the best gift you can give your children. My kids have had to deal with my addiction and relapses their whole lives, but as of lately I've started AA meetings and the 12-steps and really working at staying sober. It's hard, but I look at them every day and it's them who help keep me from using that day, one day at a time. It has to be done one day at a time, otherwise it is too overwhelming. I had been sober for some time from prescription pain meds, but I recently had a big relapse on all sorts of drugs (crack, snorting adderall and oxy's, pot), I mean it was bad. But I know I can't keep doing this-I want to be a good role model for my kids, plus my body is paying the price everytime I relapse or use. You can do this, anyone can if they really want it. I agree in keeping a journal, it will help you a lot, or even just posting on here will help too. There are a lot of people on here going through the same thing and can be support for you. Take care.....and let us know if you've made it through the detox.

Default Checking in

Just wanted to thank you all for your responses. Wanted to let you all know that I took some Methadone for about 4 days to help with the Tramadol withdrawal, Today is the 3rd day off the Methadone. So all in all it's been 1 week since I've used Trams. I am having very little withdrawal as of now. Alittle bit of anxiety, some hot/cold flashes but nothing I can't handle. I believe it's from using the methadone. But anyways, I plan on not using anything anymore and just bearing through what is left of this. Thanks again for all your comments.

So I almost fell through and got my refill on my Tramadol. And almost got some more Methadone too. I feel alot better physically, but of course the mental part is rough. I keep wanting that next high, and I do suffer from chronic pain, so when I actually feel that pain that I am used to masking I think of taking the pills so it will go away. But I like the high as well, I like escaping from life and all it's problems. I think I need a psychiatrist or someone professional to talk to. Any advice on what I should do to help overcome this, so that I won't constantly be thinking of the pills. Also, had a question. Anyone else have that overwhelming feeling when you are sober, like you want to do everything right, and you want to it now!!! I've had that feeling about several aspects in my life, and problem is I am trying to change everything at once. How can I slow down on that thinking?

Anyone with any input, would greatly appreciate it!! Having an ok day so far, some anxiety still. Almost got another refill again this morning, but I changed my password to the pharmacy site, which I wrote down a bunch of letters and numbers and then scribbled it out and through that paper away, so my only option would be to call, and I believe they already know I am abusing it, so I am going to call them and leave a message and tell them to cancel any refills and that I have became tolerant on them.

I also just called an outpatient program to make an appt. and all the schedulers were busy so I left my name and number, and am awatiing their call. Well keep all of you informed. I really need to do this for myself, and my kids especially. And for anyone in my life that has been affected by this addiction. Thank Goodness most of the physical is gone, the anxiety and a bit of depression is what kills though. Anything herbal and safe to take for anxiety? Are generic multivitamins even worth taking? I've heard that they have the lowest amount of nutrients. I could probably get more out of eating better.

Quote Originally Posted by ready2enjoylife View Post
    I also just called an outpatient program to make an appt. and all the schedulers were busy so I left my name and number, and am awatiing their call. Well keep all of you informed. I really need to do this for myself, and my kids especially. And for anyone in my life that has been affected by this addiction. Thank Goodness most of the physical is gone, the anxiety and a bit of depression is what kills though. Anything herbal and safe to take for anxiety? Are generic multivitamins even worth taking? I've heard that they have the lowest amount of nutrients. I could probably get more out of eating better.

I'd definitely keep up with the outpatient program thing, it sounds like you really do need one. I don't know too much about herbal supplements that might help-I think I tried a few that were suggested on various websites, and nothing worked for me when I was getting off of the opiates. Just make sure that nothing herbal that you might take will interact with any meds you're on. I had to finally find a psychiatrist that specialized in addiction-he has saved my life with medications. I know a lot of people don't want to go the medication route or get dependent on something else for anxiety,etc., but for me it was the only way to get and stay sober. There are usually other underlying issues or mental illnesses with addicts-mine were PTSD, anxiety, bipolar, major depressive disorder. So I was started on Wellbutrin, Cymbalta, Zyprexa and then weaned off my Ativan at the first visit with my psych doc (he didn't want me addicted to the Ativan since I was kicking an opiate problem). The Zyprexa helped with sleep and "chilling" me out in the evenings. I only took that for a few months, just to help with sleep and the detox. He eventually switched me to Seroquel, which I am still on, and it is a great drug! I sleep every night better than I ever had in my life. I also had to go on Suboxone b/c I was relapsing, I could not stop my self from getting the meds. It worked wonders, although I eventually have to wean off that b/c it is an opiate as well. I'd be careful with the Methadone as well-it is a very strong opiate, and you could easily become addicted to that.

You should find a good pain management doc as well to deal with the pain you are having. There are so many alternatives to meds in treating pain and so many non-addictive meds to try. I still live with chronic pain, I haven't found another doc that is any good or doesn't want to deal with someone who has a problem with opiates. I've always been high strung and want everything to be perfect and want it now now!! My doc has put me back on some Klonopin and now Xanax b/c my anxiety is just so unmanageable...I don't seem to have a problem with the benzo's--I've questioned myself a few times, and thought at times I might have a problem with benzo's, but have come to realize that I take them as needed and really do need them on some days. It's just something I need to keep in check and be honest about. But definitely go with the outpatient program, maybe find some meetings if you want, find a good psychiatrist--everyone is different in what they need in recovery, so go with what feels right for you and what works for you. And know that you need to take time for yourself to get clean right now, it's not being selfish, it's a necessity for your recovery. Your kids will understand, maybe not now, but in the future they will thank you for it. And you have to get clean for yourself, but to me, getting sober for my kids was equally important b/c they depend on me. But good luck going forward....keep posting so we all know how you're doing! And feel free to ask anything about all of this..no question is stupid, and I personally feel free to answer pretty much any question with blunt honesty!! Take care.

hopeandhardwork is offline New Member

Hi there. I'm wondering how your recovery is going, how are you? Are you back to enjoying life free of tramadol? I sure hope so. Please let us know.

caughtagain is offline Diamond Member

that thread is almost 3 years old