I need to stop taking Vicodin as soon as possible. It is wearing me down
    boogiedown is offline New Member

Unhappy I need to stop taking Vicodin as soon as possible. It is wearing me down

Hi, I dont even know where to start. I am in desperate need of help. I am 43 years old and I have been taking 15-20 7.5 Vicodins daily for about 8 months. I started getting them for a chronic back problem. I am now buying them on the market and I feel my heart weakening. I am afraid of doctors, which is why I wait till the last minute to go. I take care of my two small grandchildren 2 and 1. My eldest has autism and it is rather stressful. I was taking them as prescribed until about 5 months ago when the doctor stopped prescribing them. I have stopped seeing him. I have been getting little chest pains here and there and know that somehow I am destroying my already messed up body. I am not the healthiest person around to say the least. I need to know how to go about getting off these damn pills without interrupting the flow of my home. My daughter and husband cannot take the day off. I have been reading and w/d are going to be major bad for me. I am thinking of trying the thomas method but I have to do it by sunday. Is this feasible? About how long do I need? should I taper off? How? I am terrified and also know that if I do not stop soon, I will be dead. I have the worst addictive personality around. I smoke weed, if no vics can be found I will take percs or tramadol. I know I have done damage to myself. I want to get clean and then get myself properly checked out. I have a physical scheduled for July 29th. I know that I have no idea where to turn what to do. I live with the biggest bunch of enablers this side of the equator. I am constantly fighting them and telling them I have been getting minor chest pains, and need to get off the pills, they seem to think I am much nicer on them, and supposedly function better. My daughter who is 23 gets into them at times. She takes maybe a half every night now. I had a big argument with her last night, I asked her to please stop asking me for pills as I need and want to stop. so I know I have to do this asap. Please if anyone can decipher my crazy and desperate rant please point me in the right direction. I am hopelessly lost for now. God Bless and keep everyone.

Unhappy I need to stop taking Vicodin

Maybe I am in the wrong place. I am sorry if I sound crazy. I am just desperate for help. I wanted to know if maybe anyone could have suggested any advice. I forgot to add that yesterday I started doing one in the morning and two at night which is making me achy and a little irritable but as long as I have my night ones I should sleep alright. I am such a chicken. I am really serious about this. I would like to know if this is a good idea or did I take too little or something. I have some diarrhea as well. At least I am getting it out of my system. Thanks and God Bless.

klopper22 is offline Member

You arent in the wrong place. A lot of people post here that do what they can to help.

It's not what you want to hear, but I am pretty sure that you will have withdrawals for a few days past Sunday. Why do you say it has to be done by Sunday?

If you have access to and can afford medical help and medicine I'd suggest trying Suboxone if your circumstances are such that you can absolutely not have major w/d.

Anonymous Guest

Hi boogiedown
    I have been there,,, YIKES ...Well, I see it as you got two choices...
    Cold turkey or a taper...I did a taper and quit when I got down to a lower dose...
    If you do a taper your not going to feel 100% but you can manage...
    I had to work during my taper...that was no fun...

Do you have all of the stuff for the Thomas recipe if you choose to go cold turkey...

Don't be scared it's not as bad as you are thinking...

I be watching for you...
    Let us know what ya want to do...
    Talk to you soon, Melinda

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by melinda7.5 View Post
    Hi boogiedown
    I have been there,,, YIKES ...Well, I see it as you got two choices...
    Cold turkey or a taper...I did a taper and quit when I got down to a lower dose...
    If you do a taper your not going to feel 100% but you can manage...
    I had to work during my taper...that was no fun...

Do you have all of the stuff for the Thomas recipe if you choose to go cold turkey...

Don't be scared it's not as bad as you are thinking...

I be watching for you...
    Let us know what ya want to do...
    Thank you so much. I think I am going to do the tapering method as I do not have access to subox. I guess I will have to grin and bear it. I am usually alone on mondays with the kids so I know I wont be able to handle it. I just do not like the aches and irritability and of course diarrhea. I just hope it is better by then so I can be productive with the children. I am scared out of my mind but very determined and I know that I was taking so much that cold turkey would probably kill me. I have been getting very very mild chest irritations which could be because I have not my usual dosage. I thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words. I am truly determined to beat this demon. Thanks again and God Bless.
    I have gotten my husband to get me the ingredients less the benzos. I cant find those around here. I will definitely keep you postd if you like. Thanks again for everything. I so appreciate it. Yikes I am terrified. I have been reading some of the posts and wow is all I can say. I just never really gave thought at the amount of toxins I was putting into my body. I realize it is way more than I could or should have to handle. I will give the tylenol/motrin a chance for my aches. I am more afraid of the restless legs which is why I feel I have to have my night dosage at least for now. Until I feel less toxic. I feel my mouth taste kind of metallic is this normal at all?

I am sorry, I feel like a major pain in the ass. Is it a good idea to go from 10-15 vis a day to just three? I guess I am just gonna have to stick to my guns. BTW my mind is ********ing with me big time. I have 16 vics in which to get this done without getting any more. This is my goal. Does it sound feasible? I just hope I am able to get out of bed and function on Monday. I know I keep going back to that. I suppose if others can go to work so can I. Thanks and so sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by klopper22 View Post
    You arent in the wrong place. A lot of people post here that do what they can to help.

It's not what you want to hear, but I am pretty sure that you will have withdrawals for a few days past Sunday. Why do you say it has to be done by Sunday?

If you have access to and can afford medical help and medicine I'd suggest trying Suboxone if your circumstances are such that you can absolutely not have major w/d.
    It might not be, but I thank you from the bottom of my heart cause I needed to hear that. Thanks and God Bless.

Anonymous Guest

Hi boogie
    your not a pain...LOL...Im on here all the time...
    You did cut back pretty fast...
    But if you can hang on your going to do great !!!
    If you have this weekend to not feel good I would take the very least amount I could, That way when you have to watch your grand kids you can take a couple and still function but just take enough to get by...
    cold turkey wont kill you , you would just wish you were dead......LOL
    I promise your going to be OK...I was a little pill head about a year ago...
    You don't even want to know how many pills I was taking....OH man...LOL...

Try to keep your mind busy and remember this is only temporary...
    If you think you need to take a pill wait ten minutes before you do it will help show yourself you dont need them as bad as you think you do...

keep posting on here it will help....I was posting all the time when I was going thru this...we are all here for each other...

Just know it's going to be OK...

Talking

OMG thank you for saying those encouraging words. I will hang on this weekend since I am free. I will wait and I will stick to my guns. I have started gatorade as I feel a little parched and immodium for the tummy troubles. I will hang in there. If others can do it and live so can I and I shall. I so appreciate your words as I stated I live with a bunch of enablers and I am doing this strictly for me by me and I with the help of others who have gone through similar experiences. I will be on again tomorrow as soon as I am able to. I hope I can sleep without the legs wanting to go to the north while the rest of me wants to go south. really. I will hang tough. I must for me. I feel as though my life and future rest on this. I will keep distracted and focus on other stuff. Thanks again for making me feel welcomed and making sense out of my rants. I was scared out of my wits posting and just went off as I tend to do. I thank God for people like you, I really do. Thanks so much.

Anonymous Guest

Hi boogie
    one more thing you might want to try excedrin pm to help you sleep since you dont have any benzo's it might help some...

Keep up on the Imodium...It was my best friend for awhile ...

talk to you later, Melinda

Thank you again. I forgot that and will get some right away before bedtime. You are a great inspiration and have lightened my load. I feel better mentally and do not feel as scared. Thanks. Will keep you posted. god Bless.

Freedom4me is offline Advanced Member

Boogie,
    My gosh do I feel your pain. I took vicodin long term for back pain and boy did I get myself in a jam. The withdrawals were no bueno!!! But I made it cold turkey and by day 4 I felt better, not great, but better. I didn't use the Thomas just straight cold turkey. Boy did I have a pity party. Felt so sorry for myself. Just do the minimum activity that you can. I layed around, took hot, hot baths for hours which really helped alot and drank tons of OJ and water. Of course I spent my fair share of time on the toilet. Posting about my misery here helped alot and made me feel less alone. That was over 3 months ago and I still post here to try to give people encouragement. We can get into what it takes for long term success a little later. Lets just get you off those little nastys right now. You can do this. One of the posters here had a great method. Linda would talk to the pills and tell them they were not gonna kick her a$$. She told the pills (and she was talking to suboxone) that she was going to win this war. She has done fantastic, her husband too. I love her method! lol I'm sure she will be along in a few to encourage you. Her screen name is brndout. You will also here from Robert who is the king of this site and is a miracle. He has done more to help people get off drugs than I thought any one man could. He is an expert at helping people use subs to taper off drugs completely so if you feel that is the route then listen to every word he says. You will here from a whole host of people. Some going through what you are right now, some a little ahead, and some that like me have some clean time. I believe in you and your determination. I can tell you want this. Don't give in. It is no picnic and I know you feel really crummy right now but push through. I am here for you and wont leave as long as you need my support!

Hi everyone,
    I feel like a diesel and mack truck ran me over and then I was scooped up by the dump truck and deposited in a landfill. I am not a happy camper. I am in such pain. My back my arms my legs, my head. I am not freaking out like yesterday and am determined to keep only to the three until I feel like okay three is working and then I will go cold turkey on that. I have so many responsibilites it is just not possible. I am just afraid if I feel like this on monday morning I am afraid of that more than anything. My husband had the gall to say well honey if you are that uncomfortable take one. I shot that one down quick. NO. I am sticking to my guns. I do appreciate and really never thought that some kind words of encouragement whether I like it or not could have such impact on ME personally. I am grateful for your interaction and it has helped alot. I am just so damn nuts today but I am off babysitting so I am in my room hunkering down. I am drinking gatorade and trying to keep my mind from thinking about the pains and whatever it is going on from taking over. I so appreciate everyone here. I am amazed and grateful and I feel crumby although I am sure all the stuff I am taking is making things better. The supplements I mean. I am taking tylenol/motrin and I suppose it is more in my head than anything. Why is that? I am embarrased for myself. I gotta snap out of it no pitty party. I rant and I suppose it helps. thanks again. Keep the tips coming. I do listen.my fingertips hurt too. This is unbelievable to me how a body reacts to certain things. wow. I am kinda antsy so I keep getting up and wandering. Please forgive that. I might take a few to answer. I am anxious too. I will get through this somehow. I am just worried about the time period as if there were a magic cure. I am going to pace for a few. pplease forgive the typos i dont care right now.

Anonymous Guest

Default You'll do this

Hi -This is Linda and I can tell from your attitude that you will get this done.May not be pretty or pleasant but you sound like you have made up your mind, and I think that is the key to success in this matter. Although we on this forum are lucky enough to have 1 on 1 coaching from Robert and Melinda as well as an entire team of cheerleaders. It really makes a difference to be able to come on here during your detox and talk with people who understand as only an addict would. I did a cold turkey w/d from Norco a couple of years ago during Xmas. My husband went to his parents out of state for the holidays and I stayed with my parents not knowing what I was in for. I had nothing that is in the Thomas recipe, no Immodium, no Benzo or Excederin PM. The only thing I could find was Nyquil. Yuck! Made me sick to my stomach as well. As bad as it was the worst thing was I had no one to talk to about it- I couldn't tell my parents, it would have made such a difference if I had known about this place-you are lucky. (you may not put yourself in the lucky category right now) Yoou are also lucky that you have called it quits before it gets worse and it will. Notice I said I detoxed 2 years agoand currently I have been off Suboxone for about 6 weeks. The time in between was not the way to go-NO FUN-TERRIBLE!! So as uncomfortable as it may get keep your grit and steely resolve- let there be no other option as that door is closed. You will walk, stumble, crawl out the other side and you will be so happy. Tired,but happy and not ashamed . I was very ashamed of myself so it was worth all I went through to get off to be able to look my daughter in her eyes and not feel like ****. So good luck and I hope your w/d are minimal -remember why your doing this -go back and read your posts for motivation. Post when you need to.

Quote Originally Posted by brndout View Post
    Hi -This is Linda and I can tell from your attitude that you will get this done.May not be pretty or pleasant but you sound like you have made up your mind, and I think that is the key to success in this matter. Although we on this forum are lucky enough to have 1 on 1 coaching from Robert and Melinda as well as an entire team of cheerleaders. It really makes a difference to be able to come on here during your detox and talk with people who understand as only an addict would. I did a cold turkey w/d from Norco a couple of years ago during Xmas. My husband went to his parents out of state for the holidays and I stayed with my parents not knowing what I was in for. I had nothing that is in the Thomas recipe, no Immodium, no Benzo or Excederin PM. The only thing I could find was Nyquil. Yuck! Made me sick to my stomach as well. As bad as it was the worst thing was I had no one to talk to about it- I couldn't tell my parents, it would have made such a difference if I had known about this place-you are lucky. (you may not put yourself in the lucky category right now) Yoou are also lucky that you have called it quits before it gets worse and it will. Notice I said I detoxed 2 years agoand currently I have been off Suboxone for about 6 weeks. The time in between was not the way to go-NO FUN-TERRIBLE!! So as uncomfortable as it may get keep your grit and steely resolve- let there be no other option as that door is closed. You will walk, stumble, crawl out the other side and you will be so happy. Tired,but happy and not ashamed . I was very ashamed of myself so it was worth all I went through to get off to be able to look my daughter in her eyes and not feel like ****. So good luck and I hope your w/d are minimal -remember why your doing this -go back and read your posts for motivation. Post when you need to.
    thanks again. I hate this freaking feeling. Lord have mercy please. I dont want to abuse but I would not mind a benzo or something. I wont but am thinking of asking around. The anxiety is distressful. I am just glad I have no contact with the kids. Immodium is my friend right now. Everything is hurting even my finger tips. I cannot wait till I get my night dosage really. I am rooting for 1030 pm to come soon. Thanks again. I appreciate it. I am just feeling like how did I get here? I am overweight as well so it is not a pretty sight to see me now. I know I sound crazy but no one here understands in the least bit so I rant. I apologize again. It does feel better. keeps my mind occupied. I cleaned my room and I took a hot bath now I am freezing my mind is wandering and I am feeling depressed is that normal? depression while w/d? idk. Thanks again for your encouragement but goodness gracious I swear I will never touch this sh it again.

I am crying my eyes out. Why? I wish I was all alone in the house so I could do what I need to do. My hubby sees me and says he wants me to go to our grandsons family day tomorrow from 1-4 and this is not possible the way I am feeling. I dont know whay people seem so insensitive. I am in distress and its like carry on she is fine. I am in pain and major discomfort. I am crying for no reason. Now its getting hard for me since if I go I have to undo all the work I have put in otherwise I wont be able to function. i might have to get out of the house to get clean. this is sad. I feel like I am alone in this hell hole. I know I am not but it feels so. I sound like a freaking baby. I will go take a bath and shake it off. I will stand strong for ME. I need ME.

Everything you are describing is normal. Don't worry you won't die, just feels like it. I remember I paced back and forth from room to room. It really sucks so all the whining is deserved! You go ahead girl. Don't rely on your husband for too much support or sympathy because he really doesn't understand what you are going through and its not his fault. It will get better soon. I promise.

Talking

I am getting ready to go for another bath. I think I like the tub so i will be a fixture there tonight. I will keep you posted on how things go. I just hope I stick to my guns cause it is getting worse by the minute. I am one miserable soul today. yikes.

Bobbi1969 is offline Junior Member

Default Boogie

You are a brave woman!!! And Strong!!! Hang in there , we're all rooting for you!! (Gentle hugs to you hon)

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by boogiedown View Post
    I am crying my eyes out. Why? I wish I was all alone in the house so I could do what I need to do. My hubby sees me and says he wants me to go to our grandsons family day tomorrow from 1-4 and this is not possible the way I am feeling. I dint know whay people seem so insensitive. I am in distress and its like carry on she is fine. I am in pain and major discomfort. I am crying for no reason. Now its getting hard for me since if I go I have to undo all the work I have put in otherwise I wont be able to function. i might have to get out of the house to get clean. this is sad. I feel like I am alone in this hell hole. I know I am not but it feels so. I sound like a freaking baby. I will go take a bath and shake it off. I will stand strong for ME. I need ME.
    Hi boogie
    your doing great don't worry about the crying it will take all of the tension out of your body and all the cr@p you have been holding inside all this time...
    just stay home tomorrow tell your hubby this is what you need to do right now and you can make it next week...
    your doing so good be very proud of yourself...

Anonymous Guest

Default Everything is normal- so to speak

thanks again. I hate this freaking feeling. Lord have mercy please. I dont want to abuse but I would not mind a benzo or something. I wont but am thinking of asking around. The anxiety is distressful. I am just glad I have no contact with the kids. Immodium is my friend right now. Everything is hurting even my finger tips. I cannot wait till I get my night dosage really. I am rooting for 1030 pm to come soon. Thanks again. I appreciate it. I am just feeling like how did I get here? I am overweight as well so it is not a pretty sight to see me now. I know I sound crazy but no one here understands in the least bit so I rant. I apologize again. It does feel better. keeps my mind occupied. I cleaned my room and I took a hot bath now I am freezing my mind is wandering and I am feeling depressed is that normal? depression while w/d? idk. Thanks again for your encouragement but goodness gracious I swear I will never touch this sh it again.
    All your feeling is typical and as far at the anxiety and depression I can speak for myself that anxiety was MAJOR. I have always had anxiety problems and I think its one major thing that led to my opiate problem, they work well. Being on them for a few years certainly lowered my anxiety level right down to I don't give a ********. When I went off I had numerous panic attacks and had to drive to work breathing in a paper bag (doesn't work for me) but it subsided rather quickly- just hang in there. Thinking of you
    Last edited by Anonymous; 06-07-2009 at 05:52 PM.

Unhappy

Hi,
    I have started to vomit blood, so I am thinking hard about the emergency room but I am afraid of doctors. Is this normal is this associated with w/d? I dont have any other major problem so to speak. I just feel like I am unwell. I have been in bed all day as I have been cursed with cramps. It is like the cherry on top. I am weak and if any of you say go I will go asap. Thanks again. I feel cruddier than yesterday. I am totally weak and tummy is going crazy. I have been hanging tough and am proud of that fact. I will forever be grateful to those that have dared to reach out to me. I am floored and humbled. Thanks again for everything. I do not wish this on anyone ever.

Anonymous Guest

Hi,
    I have started to vomit blood, so I am thinking hard about the emergency room but I am afraid of doctors. Is this normal is this associated with w/d? I dont have any other major problem so to speak. I just feel like I am unwell. I have been in bed all day as I have been cursed with cramps. It is like the cherry on top. I am weak and if any of you say go I will go asap. Thanks again. I feel cruddier than yesterday. I am totally weak and tummy is going crazy. I have been hanging tough and am proud of that fact. I will forever be grateful to those that have dared to reach out to me. I am floored and humbled. Thanks again for everything. I do not wish this on anyone ever.
    Hi booogie
    Get your butt to the ER.....
    No way you should be throwing up blood...
    When you get home let us know what is wrong...
    DONT be afraid of those doctors...hold your head up high and dont let them put you down...but please go...

Sharper48 is offline New Member

Hi, I dont even know where to start. I am in desperate need of help. I am 43 years old and I have been taking 15-20 7.5 Vicodins daily for about 8 months. I started getting them for a chronic back problem. I am now buying them on the market and I feel my heart weakening. I am afraid of doctors, which is why I wait till the last minute to go. I take care of my two small grandchildren 2 and 1. My eldest has autism and it is rather stressful. I was taking them as prescribed until about 5 months ago when the doctor stopped prescribing them. I have stopped seeing him. I have been getting little chest pains here and there and know that somehow I am destroying my already messed up body. I am not the healthiest person around to say the least. I need to know how to go about getting off these damn pills without interrupting the flow of my home. My daughter and husband cannot take the day off. I have been reading and w/d are going to be major bad for me. I am thinking of trying the thomas method but I have to do it by sunday. Is this feasible? About how long do I need? should I taper off? How? I am terrified and also know that if I do not stop soon, I will be dead. I have the worst addictive personality around. I smoke weed, if no vics can be found I will take percs or tramadol. I know I have done damage to myself. I want to get clean and then get myself properly checked out. I have a physical scheduled for July 29th. I know that I have no idea where to turn what to do. I live with the biggest bunch of enablers this side of the equator. I am constantly fighting them and telling them I have been getting minor chest pains, and need to get off the pills, they seem to think I am much nicer on them, and supposedly function better. My daughter who is 23 gets into them at times. She takes maybe a half every night now. I had a big argument with her last night, I asked her to please stop asking me for pills as I need and want to stop. so I know I have to do this asap. Please if anyone can decipher my crazy and desperate rant please point me in the right direction. I am hopelessly lost for now. God Bless and keep everyone.

Hi There

After reading your post I certainly can relate to your problem. First off lets now worry about why your on Vicodin the fact that you are is enough. I have been down that road before myself. To make a long story short the thomas recipe is a good one, and one you can follow easliy enough and it'll do the job. Secondly I wouldn't worry about the Dr either, nowa days they are aware more about what your going through and they are there to really help you without looking down on you believe me. I am recovering from 30 to 40 10/650 hydrocodone a day myself. So its no joke to anyone "thank God" to all the drugs out there its been noticed and no one is going to judge you anylonger. As for you daughter I can only say it starts with a 1/2 but soon developes. Stop enabling now. Pick your time and follow through with your plan. I have had all the same stuff you have and maybe more, but I will over come this as I have over every other thing in my life.....Alcohol, Cigarettes and whatever else. I refuse to live my life under influence of something. So breath easy your not going to die, your going to live, your going to plan like a big girl and get through it. Theres lots of support out there that are feeling your pain even the Drs are feeling your pain. Oh before I forget if you do the right stuff 5 days will see you through the worst, after that its in the bag, your clean. Then go help someone else get through there's. I'm 61years old and its not easy to do this but, I will, I have, and you will. If your famil tells you to stay on it then keep them out of your recovery all together, they will ruin it all together. Bye

Joe

stfish1631 is offline New Member

Unhappy help

I need to know if you, boogiedown, were sucessful in your battle with vicodin?? I am 33 and have been taking vicodin for about 5 yrs and want to stop! I started to try to wean myself off today and so far have only taken 4 5mg pills as apposed to my usual 15 to 20 a day. I want this so badly but am having the hardest time. I go from "yes i can beat this" to "screw it, I can't!" HELP

Stfish,
    I don't know if this helps but I am one year clean off vics. It was hard but I did it so it can be done. I will watch for your post but I am not here as often as I used to be. You can do it. You just have to be sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stfish1631 View Post
    I need to know if you, boogiedown, were sucessful in your battle with vicodin?? I am 33 and have been taking vicodin for about 5 yrs and want to stop! I started to try to wean myself off today and so far have only taken 4 5mg pills as apposed to my usual 15 to 20 a day. I want this so badly but am having the hardest time. I go from "yes i can beat this" to "screw it, I can't!" HELP
    Hi stfish
    I was addicted to ocycontin and all of the above...but I managed to taper down and break the chains of addiction...If I can help in anyway please let me know...
    I wish you the very best ...

elinda

John don is offline New Member

I was pill head for 3 years but I stop cold turkey for almost 10 months but I feel like I need them I can't stop thing bout them haven't took any yet keeping away but I feel like I'm going crazy need help plzzz don't know what to do

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John don View Post
    I was pill head for 3 years but I stop cold turkey for almost 10 months but I feel like I need them I can't stop thing bout them haven't took any yet keeping away but I feel like I'm going crazy need help plzzz don't know what to do

Dear john don,

This was a very old thread, and the original posters are unlikely to respond. Feel free to open up your own new thread on the main page of the "Need to Talk" section here: http://www.drugs.com/forum/need-talk/

The persistent thoughts and cravings are normal aspects of drug addiction. The best possible way to deal with them is to get yourself to some regular meetings of NA or AA. That's where you'll find others who have walked in your shoes, who can help you. And that's also where we learn the new behaviors and attitudes that give us the skills we need to cope without turning to a pill. And the stronger our coping skills become, the less cravings we have.

There is help - there is hope - but you have to reach out and grab for it. It means stepping out of your comfort zone and reaching out. You can do this, but avail yourself of the help that is there for you.

God bless,
    Ruth

You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.