Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bellaluna
Hydrocodone withdrawal versus Oxycontin withdrawals
    ThisSux is offline New Member

Default Hydrocodone withdrawal versus Oxycontin withdrawals

How does withdrawal from norcos compare to withdrawal from oxycontin? I am addicted to oxy and want to get off and I have an opportunity to switch to norcos and then wean from them. I have been through Oxy withdrawal and it's a special sort of hell. How does hydrocodone withdrawal compare?

mottam is offline Advanced Member

TS:
    Welcome. My DOC is/was oxy. From everything I have read, oxy seems to be harder for w/d, but they both really $uck!

How much oxy are you taking and for how long? Maybe there is a way to address this w/o jumping from oxy to hydro.

mottam

klopper22 is offline Member

Default Go for the hydro

Take any help you can get, sir or madame. Why not reduce the hell. I have detoxed off both and in my experience, oxy was 20 times worse.

caughtagain is offline Diamond Member

Tell us a little bit more about your usage. We will be happy to help you. With respect to which is worse..... They both $uck A$$ and you can count on about a week of feeling bad. The main thing that happens with withdrawl is your body stops producing Natural Endorphins (the feel good chemical) because the drug does that. So when you stop abrubtly, your body craves it, thus rebelling by putting you into WD. The intensity of Oxycodone Vs Hydrocodone is a matter of intensity. Oxy being mor intense (stronger) than Hydrocodone. Sooooo Tapering allows ones body to ease off of the medication, thus easing the WD. If you have the fortitude to do that, good job. I could not do that and just went through hell for a week to get clean... Did it many times too. I have come off both and they both will cause the same symptoms of WD. Just decide which you are going to do and dive in. Post often, treat the symptom,s of WD and you can make it. Post often and we will guide you through.........CA
    Last edited by ddcmod; 04-01-2010 at 04:04 PM.

bellaluna is offline Member

Hello! I am in early recovery, today is day 8 and I am feeling better and better everyday since the worst of the w/ds (for me it was at about 48 hours-60hours clean.) I pretended I had the flu and for some reason that really helped. Now I am just dealing with anxiety-- but I feel so much better!!

Post here a lot when you are detoxing. It helps to get your mind off of your symptoms and there are people here who can give you words of wisdom.

Know you are not alone!
    FrustratedAndTired likes this.

Ozisfloating is offline New Member

Hello All,

I know this is an old thread, but I have loads of experience and info on opiate withdrawals. I'm sure someone will google this and find it helpful.

Opiates are my main DOC, rather, were my DOC. I have had 3 Cervical Fusions before 30 years old, so Dr.s basically give me what I want without question. I did for a time need these med's for pain, but man did I go overboard with that.

A little background on me, I have been a recreational user of many drugs over the last 15 years or so. Ive never had a "Problem" with any of them, except Opiates, and Pot, and Ive tried everything.

Getting back to the Oxy vs Norco w/d question. The answer is easy, just as Klopper posted, Oxycodone is 20 times worse than Norco. When I first quit norco after taking 10-12 a day for a year. I thought it was tough, prolly because I never had been through Opiate withdrawal. It was a walk in the park compared to Oxy. Oxy withdrawals were right on par with Herion imo. It consisted of 10 days of absolute, sh!?ting myself,puking,hot/cold sweats,nausea,gagging,not being able to sleep or concentrate...just plain nasty followed by the most ridiculous anxiety, that eventually led to me relapsing back to Oxy. I then had to clean up for a job, and I got 20 or so norco and took 4 the first day, then 3,then2,then1,then1/2 for a few days then I was gold...they were nowhere near as bad, infact it was basically just anxiety I had to deal with.

Fast forward a few years after having another surgery on my neck, I was taking Oxy80's, Opanas,Percs,Roxi's, whatever I could get my hands on. Well into the 200-300 mgs of oxy or equivalent meds. Of course even with multiple scripts from multiple doctors I could not keep up or afford my habit...so as mostly happens. I started using Dope, >>>>>>. Its much cheaper and packs a much better punch. I used for nearly a year, Black tar, then China white. The withdrawals, were worse than Oxy, but not by much. Bottom line, yes, get some norco, or other Hydro based opiates to help ease you through the w/d's. You just cant eat em all at once, have to WEEN yourself.

The withdrawals and high are not even close between Oxy and Hydro imo. People debate this with me all the time. They are like " You think you could tell the difference between the two in a blind test?!?!? Come on no way." Well guess what, I and any other experienced opiate user can. Hydro helps pain and produces some euphoria if youve never taken opiates for long term. I think its a wonderful med, just a lame buzz, the euphoria from oxy, as well as the speedy rush during the onset of it, make them much different. Hydro is Oxy Jr, or even Oxy the III.

Opiates are a beautiful thing when treated with respect, and a monsterous pandoras box when they're not.
    Last edited by Ozisfloating; 08-22-2011 at 04:05 PM.

deleted116 is offline Member

I'm not sure about the wd from hydro, but I know that had I taken even 30 mg of hydro while using oxy I wouldn't have felt a thing. Might as well have been eating tic tacs.

That being said, if you use hydro for a long time, your body is going to get dependent on it, and you are going to feel the wd pains. Probably depends how much and how long you are taking, etc.

Opiates are a beautiful thing when treated with respect, and a monsterous pandoras box when they're not.
    Isn't this the truth....and I always wonder why some people can take them with respect and then leave them be...and I couldn't??

Quote Originally Posted by moon6748 View Post
    Isn't this the truth....and I always wonder why some people can take them with respect and then leave them be...and I couldn't??
    Some people have a quicker "click" with addiction imo. I am one of those people and never really realized to what extent until I got on opiates. Quitting >>>>>> is the hardest thing I've ever done. Now that I've been doing some self reflecting I see this and hope to never allow myself to even "dip a toe in any pool" of addiction again.
    Stay positive and love your life- 311

Some people have a quicker "click" with addiction imo
    Yes, this has to be true. I got the quick "click" with cigarettes too. I instantly became a chain smoker (although I never smoked around my family). But whenever I could smoke, I did. However, I quit those 4 years ago and never looked back. I tried numerous times to quit, and relapsed....but the last time stuck. To me quitting the cigarettes was a lot easier in hindsight than these evil things.

Understood but just like you had to be strong with cigs, you need to be strong with this addiction. Yes the w/d are worse but after that it is alot about the mental cravings. Stay strong!
    Stay positive and love your life- 311