Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Hydrocodone withdrawal
    sickofhydrocodone is offline New Member

Default Hydrocodone withdrawal

Hello, I am obviously new here and need some much needed advice about Hydrocodone 10/500 mg. cold turkey withdrawal... I started taking Hyrocodone around April or May of 08. can't remember the exact month.But that is a pretty close assumption. Anyway I was put on them by my Nuerologist before I had back surgery in June of 08, I have been on them every since... When I first started taking them I was given a prescription of 120 per month of 10/500mg. I did well not taking more than prescribe... After the TLIF surgery on my L5 S1 region with hardware, I began taking them in a higher does , I don't believe I've ever taken more than 5 to 6 in a day(pretty sure) Then I started having muscle spasms in my surgery area think this was due to scar tissue from surgery..well for that they prescribed Soma 350 mg. 3 X per day along with the Hydrocodone. I've done pretty well with that not to take more than 4 per day. In Dec.08 my Nuerologist decided since I was still having pain that he could no longer prescribe the pain meds and Soma , so he sent me to a pain management clinic in Jan 09, I have been going there for 4 mos. now. Well here's the thing. I ran out of Hydrocodone before my schedule appt and new they would not give me anything. I have not had any hydrocodone since Sun. April 5th 09. I was in such withdrawal pain I called th pain mgmt doc and moved my appt to yesterday. and told him the Hydrocodone was no longer working for my pain. He prescribe Percocet 10/325 mg. I took one when I got the script filled yesterday. I am still having withdrawals from the hydrocodone. I refuse to take ant of the Percocets and am on day 3 with no hydrocodone. I am sick to my stomach, severe leg cramps( this is the roughest one) And cry for no reason. I am still taking the soma to help the leg cramps(is that a good idea?) Iam only taking those like every 6 to 8 hours and holding out as long as I can stand it. As I know these are also addictive. I am very serious about getting off these meds. But the leg cramps are preventing me from sleeping the Soma only gets rid of the leg cramps for about 2 to 4 hrs if I'm lucky. I can't say i've had much sleep in the past 3 days, the cravings are better as far as not wanting any of the Hydrocodone. But I have completely lost my appetite. and drink water because my mouth is so dry. which I guess is a good thing to stay hydrated.I guess what Iam asking is how long these physical symptoms will go on so I can get some much needed sleep. Fortunately Iam laid of work right now and don't have to worry about that. And any remedies for leg cramps would be greatly appreciated. As this so far is the most untolerable symptom as of yet. sorry one more question? With me taking the 1 Percocet yesterday will this set my recovery time back. I have not had anything since 3 pm yesterday except Soma for the leg cramps. Thanks for listening and sorry this is so long!

guitarman57 is offline Member

I took hydro for years before finally being put on Percocets and Oxycontin last August for multiple lumbar herniations. I had surgery last October on my cervical region to "shore up" the discs so I could survive the lumbar surgery without resulting paralysis.

Well - to make a long story short, the world turned upside down last year and I can't afford to be out of work for the time it will take to recup. So - I had to make a decision - live on pain pills forever or see how bad the pain is without them. I am on day 15 without any pain meds and, not only are the withdrawals over, there is no pain (to speak of) in my lower back!

W/D's are not pretty, but well worth getting off the stuff. You will definitely have some discomfort, but stick around here and you will get lots of help and encouragement. Robert and Melinda are great sources of help and advice. You mention leg problems - I have read where bananas (or vitamins rich in potassium) help with RLS. I absolultey despise bananas and had no vitamins with potassium available when going through w/d's, so I got to really enjoy the leg thing. Hopefully, you can choke one or two of those yellow babies down for some help.

Good luck and stick to it!
    Last edited by guitarman57; 04-07-2009 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Added sentence

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by sickofhydrocodone View Post
    Hello, I am obviously new here and need some much needed advice about Hydrocodone 10/500 mg. cold turkey withdrawal... I started taking Hyrocodone around April or May of 08. can't remember the exact month.But that is a pretty close assumption. Anyway I was put on them by my Nuerologist before I had back surgery in June of 08, I have been on them every since... When I first started taking them I was given a prescription of 120 per month of 10/500mg. I did well not taking more than prescribe... After the TLIF surgery on my L5 S1 region with hardware, I began taking them in a higher does , I don't believe I've ever taken more than 5 to 6 in a day(pretty sure) Then I started having muscle spasms in my surgery area think this was due to scar tissue from surgery..well for that they prescribed Soma 350 mg. 3 X per day along with the Hydrocodone. I've done pretty well with that not to take more than 4 per day. In Dec.08 my Nuerologist decided since I was still having pain that he could no longer prescribe the pain meds and Soma , so he sent me to a pain management clinic in Jan 09, I have been going there for 4 mos. now. Well here's the thing. I ran out of Hydrocodone before my schedule appt and new they would not give me anything. I have not had any hydrocodone since Sun. April 5th 09. I was in such withdrawal pain I called th pain mgmt doc and moved my appt to yesterday. and told him the Hydrocodone was no longer working for my pain. He prescribe Percocet 10/325 mg. I took one when I got the script filled yesterday. I am still having withdrawals from the hydrocodone. I refuse to take ant of the Percocets and am on day 3 with no hydrocodone. I am sick to my stomach, severe leg cramps( this is the roughest one) And cry for no reason. I am still taking the soma to help the leg cramps(is that a good idea?) Iam only taking those like every 6 to 8 hours and holding out as long as I can stand it. As I know these are also addictive. I am very serious about getting off these meds. But the leg cramps are preventing me from sleeping the Soma only gets rid of the leg cramps for about 2 to 4 hrs if I'm lucky. I can't say i've had much sleep in the past 3 days, the cravings are better as far as not wanting any of the Hydrocodone. But I have completely lost my appetite. and drink water because my mouth is so dry. which I guess is a good thing to stay hydrated.I guess what Iam asking is how long these physical symptoms will go on so I can get some much needed sleep. Fortunately Iam laid of work right now and don't have to worry about that. And any remedies for leg cramps would be greatly appreciated. As this so far is the most untolerable symptom as of yet. sorry one more question? With me taking the 1 Percocet yesterday will this set my recovery time back. I have not had anything since 3 pm yesterday except Soma for the leg cramps. Thanks for listening and sorry this is so long!

Congratulations on making the decision to rid yourself of this drug dependency. The worst of your w/d problems, considering the time you used and the amounts, should begin to improve around day six or thereabouts. So another few days and you SHOULD start seeing some improvement. I know that you feel like you're going to die, but you won't.

There are some things you can do to help yourself A LITTLE with the symptoms. I will list some of the normal symptoms and remedies. Diarrhea ... Immodium AD. It also has an opiate base that will help your stomach while not compromising your recovery. Take HOT baths or showers for the restlessness including the legs. It will help for a short time. Of course you can repeat HOT showers numerous times a day. Drink gatorade as it's full of electrolytes and will help with hydration and will make you feel a little better.

MOST IMPORTANT ... some moderate exercise regardless of how badly you feel. I don't mean run five miles, take a good walk around a couple blocks. That will help get your natural endorphine production going and help with your overall well-being. You can take kava and/or valerian root for anxiety. You can buy valerian root at any pharmacy just about for $5 for 100 capsules. Take 3-4 at a time as needed within reason, it's all natural.

Hope some of this helps. Hang in there, it will get better. You only have to do this one time and then you never have to use again. Stay in touch. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Default Thank you!

Thanks to all who answered my post, it helps to talk to someone who has gone through this. I am on day 3 without Hydrocodone.... Today I forced myself to go to the grocery store even though I felt weak and very nauseated and felt as though i was going to pass out. but I was determined to do this as a form of exercise among mental well being . I felt as though I was in a bubble the whole time I was in the grocery store and driving to and from. But I feel like that's my real mental state somewhat returning to me. I purchased some Immodium and some Icy Hot patches fro the leg cramps so far so good.. I have not taken any Soma today either and won't as long as I can take the cramps. But Iam proud to say I have very little craving (very little craving) for any pain med including the percocet. I had the percs filled yesterday and took one at 3 pm and have had no more since and don't want anymore. I hoping I will feel better by the weekend and feel somewhat back to normal. I can honestly say I do not want another Hydrocodone unless I am in dyer pain. but even then I will have to second guess taking it. My back pain from my surgery I can honestly say doesn't really hurt as much as it did as when I was on the Hydrocodone. So that tells me I have not really had a chance after my surgery to see if the surgery was successful or not. Because I have been on the Hydrocodone ever since surgery because all the docs had me believeing I needed them to function. I personally do not believe this anymore. Anyway thanks for all the support and I sure I will be back again before this god awful experience iis over. God Bless you all and good luck to you all!

anotheraddict is offline Member

Glad to hear things are easing up a bit. It only gets better from here. Be proud of yourself for making it this far!

guitarman57 is offline Member

Glad to hear you're doing better. I forgot to mention that I was also on Soma for the better part of 4 years (only I ate them like candy along with the Hydros, Percs and Oxys). Don't know how many Soma's I did a day toward the end. They were the first things I quit and only had a day or two that I felt a bit shakey.

Hang in there! It is so worth it!

One final thing - you mention the pain being better since you are going off the pills. Apparently, this is a well-known phenomenon - I began taking the meds for multiple disc herniations. Since I've stopped the meds, I have had NO back pain whatsoever. Enjoy!

JustQuitting is offline Junior Member

First off, way to go for quitting & sticking to it - especially having a filled scrip in the house with you!! (Not sure I could resist that, so extra kudos to you.)

Potassium and Magnesium will help you, along with everything Robert said. Magnesium helps to relax the muscles and potassium will help with cramps. So will quinine water, if you can find it in a grocery store where you are. My doctor suggested that when I went through my w/d in late Feb., but I couldn't find it in my small town.

I was on the same exact med, as well as Valium at night for nearly 2 years & had nearly the same things going on as you when I quit cold turkey. It was a rough few days, but by the 6th day I can honestly say I was nearly feeling back to my normal self. So just hang in there, you're pretty much past the 1/2 way mark. Maybe another week of being just plain tired but that should be it.

I found that coming here and reading other's posts really, really helped me a LOT. Most of us either don't want to or can't discuss this with anyone else in our lives, so it's a tremendous relief to come here where others understand what we're going through.

I wish I had the luck of some of y'all having the pain disappear after quitting the drugs... but I think a good part of my pain is my job lately. I do have a drafting table for when I'm doing paperwork, but the past 5-6 weeks of my job has me doing work at a computer, flipping though files & entering data for 16 hours or so a day, 6 days a week. No matter what the doctor said, there's just no way to NOT look down while I do this work. I think that's aggravated my neck again because the pain is back, but it's tolerable for the most part so far. I'm hoping that in another week when I go back to 8 hour days I'll get some relief...otherwise it's another epidural shot for me because I just cannot go back on the pills. I'm going to save that stuff for breaking a leg or something drastic only, so it will work at the proper dosage!

Default Happy to report!

Good Morning all, thanks so much for all your words of encouragement and understanding, But I am happy to report day 4 with no pain meds and day2 no Soma. I went to the pharmacy yesterday and got some Tylenol Arthritis strength and ate 3 banannas yesterday also applied Icy Hot Heat and Cold patches to the calves of my legs all this in combination actually slowed down my leg cramping, although I am still having some cramping it is no where near as severe as day 1 and day 2. I think I got up around 12am last night because of restlessness the last time I remember looking at the clock was 1 am so I apparently got at least 6 hrs of sleep without any sleep distruption as in the previous 2 days. My stomach is still a little out of wack and I feel really exhausted, so far no diarreaha(sp?) and have a sinus headache. I also feel a little anxious and mildly depressed but I am trying to get past that by doing chores around my house rather than to sucumb to it. PLEASE! everyone who is going through this whatever you do if you can, PLEASE! don't shut yourself in, open your blinds let the sunshine in and despite how bad you may feel keep moving forward! Even though your physical symptoms are terrible and believe me I know what your going through, the mental aspect of this is equally if not more important than the physical, just my opinion... I tried water with Quinine in it as my pharmicist suggested this yesterday, I personally could not stomach it, but that is just me. I plan today to go back to the pahrmacy and get a vitamin B12 vitamin and also try that. I did have some minor pain last night with my surgery area, but it was not bad enough that I wanted pain meds! I wil take Motrin or Tylenol and suck it up before I will take another pain med. As far as the script I have, well they are out of my reach as I felt this was not good for me to have while going through this, So I ask my husband to lock them up and take the key to work with him. I am not having any craving for any of that pain meds, Soma none of it.`But I believe out of sight out of mind. I am still not 100 percent back to normal but I would have to say I'm about to the 50 percent mark.. it only gets better from here...So don't give up! One thing I found out about myself through this withdrawal that I didn't know is how much drive and ambition I have. I use to think of myself as a weak person because I had always given in to things throughout my life very easily. I challenge you to find these traits you never knew you had and you will feel like a different person. I encourage all of you to slide into your regiment of healing from this, prayer it helps I promise!

FreedomForMe is offline Junior Member

Default Good Job!

What an excellent and positive outlook u have that is what u need. Life has brought all of us a challenge and if u can keep the positive side of all challenges then u can make it through this. I am on day 18 since my last vicodin and yes i still miss the energy they gave me I am improving everyday. I think for me since i work 6 days a week helped alot I had to get up and put on an act of being myself no time to feel feel tired. I am now walking 2 or 3 miles 3 times a week which really helps. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Julie

Default Update!

Just wanted to touch base with everyone and let them know that today is day 5 with no Hydrocodone, day 3 no Soma.I have to say I believe the fiirst 3 days were the toughest. Most my withdrawal symptoms are gone, still not able to eat very much to speak of and am suffering from a little depression during the day and a wee bit of jitterness.. the leg cramps are almost a distant memory, a little advice, if you have the bad leg cramps and you like bannanas, eat them! that help me soooo much with the cramping as well as the Icy Hot heat and cold wraps around the area of the leg you are cramping the most. I was having a lot of insomnia as well the past couple of nights, but I took the advice of Robert 325 and purchased the Valerian Root... It does help you calm down and your able to go to sleep more naturally. I will say this about the Valarien Root, depending on your weight I guess or at least this is my opinion, I started out taking just 2 and 2 made me pretty laxed. But I am also small framed and weigh about 120lbs. I did however wake up once last night and took another and went back to bed and slept through the night once I got comfortable. If I can get through the depression and anxiety stage of this I think I will be pretty much home free. Oh and when I get to the point that my appetite returns to normal then all will be good! I will tell anybody that you can do this you just have to motivate and mentally want to do this, regardless of how bad you crave, get your mind on something else, I'm no doctor but I'm sure the cravings will soon leave you the more your body starts to heal from all this. God Bless you all , and thanks for the encouraging words and helpful remedies that allowed me to rid my body of this drug.

jip337 is offline New Member

Default Hydro withdrawal

Hi. I am new here and I am in need of some assistance. I have been on hydrocodone for about 2 years now for a number of reasons. I have had a lot of female problems for the past 6 years or so. In 2008 I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease and for a least a year now I have been taking countless antibiotics and meds for infections and inflammation in my back and abdomen and meds for muscle spasms. Unfortunately, I have been told that I don't have a lot of options because of my age(they keep telling me I am too young).
    A short time ago I went into the hospital to detox. I was so thankful that I did. It was far from easy, but I did not have the everyday stress of being home and going through it. Unfortunately, I have relapsed. I am so scared to go through it again. I took my last pill yesterday at about 2:00pm. I did not sleep much last night and I felt sick this morning, diarrhea, stomach cramps are horrible. I don't feel like I can talk to my family this time around. I don't want to let anyone down. I have three daughters that I need to be able to take care of. I don't want to be like this anymore. I don't want these stupid pills to control me anymore. If anyone has any advise for doing this at home or even just words of encouragement I would be most grateful. Thank you for listening.

Freedom4me is offline Advanced Member

Jip,
    I have been off vicodin for 2 months now. The withdrawals were aweful but only lasted about 5 days. Good for you for choosing to stop. It gets better, I promise. You can make it. It feels like you are going to die but you won't. I have to run to a work meeting so keep posting and I will be here to help if you need me.

MellyC is offline New Member

Default Hydrocodone withdrawal

I don't know if anyone is still on here or not, since the last post was in April. I am going through hydrocodone withdrawals and could definitely use someone to talk to who understands this. I was not prescribed the hydrocodone - my husband was. I started taking his pills without his consent. Once he discovered this, he withheld them from me and I am now going through terrible withdrawals, the worst of which is the leg cramps. Any advice or other stories would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous Guest

Smile I was there myself

Quote Originally Posted by MellyC View Post
    I don't know if anyone is still on here or not, since the last post was in April. I am going through hydrocodone withdrawals and could definitely use someone to talk to who understands this. I was not prescribed the hydrocodone - my husband was. I started taking his pills without his consent. Once he discovered this, he withheld them from me and I am now going through terrible withdrawals, the worst of which is the leg cramps. Any advice or other stories would be greatly appreciated.
    Read my story at Veteran Vicodin Addict...
    I was an abuser of vic for a year...I quit cold turkey and went through the full range of withdrawls. There are things you can do to help alleviate them but nothing will completely stop them other than time. The good news is you quit and you are on your way. Usually the worst of it (for me the leg cramps) same as you last about 4-5 days at the most. I took a muscle relaxer (flexril) and Tylenol PM to help with the sleep at night. That gave me some relief, exercise and just walking will take your mind off of it for a while too. Look up Robert he gives great advice and he or melinda can give you the thomas recipie to help with the symptoms too.

Keep us posted on your progress just posting in here can help we have all been where you are.

Best wishes in your recovery !!

Eric

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MellyC View Post
    Hi Melly
    dont worry how old the thread is, we see them if you make a new post on it.
    I know how your feeling I have done it a time or two...LOL
    Im putting up the Thomas recipe for you...
    Let us know how your doing...
    Talk to you later, Melinda

THOMAS RECIPE

If you can't take time off to detox, I recommend you follow a taper regimen using your drug of choice or suitable alternate -- the slower the taper, the better.

For the Recipe, You'll need:

1. Valium (or another benzodiazepine such as Klonopin, Librium, Ativan or Xanax). Of these, Valium and Klonopin are best suited for tapering since they come in tablet form. Librium is also an excellent detox benzo, but comes in capsules, making it hard to taper the dose. Ativan or Xanax should only be used if you can't get one of the others.

2. Imodium (over the counter, any drug or grocery store).

3. L-Tyrosine (500 mg caps) from the health food store.

4. Strong wide-spectrum mineral supplement with at least 100% RDA of Zinc, Phosphorus, Copper, Magnesium and Potassium (you may not find the potassium in the same supplement).

5. Vitamin B6 caps.

6. Access to hot baths or a Jacuzzi (or hot showers if that's all that's available).

How to use the recipe:

Start the vitamin/mineral supplement right away (or the first day you can keep it down), preferably with food. Potassium early in the detox is important to help relieve RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). Bananas are a good source of potassium if you can't find a supplement for it.

Begin your detox with regular doses of Valium (or alternate benzo). Start with a dose high enough to produce sleep. Before you use any benzo, make sure you're aware of how often it can be safely taken. Different benzos have different dosing schedules. Taper your Valium dosage down after each day. The goal is to get through day 4, after which the worst WD symptoms will subside. You shouldn't need the Valium after day 4 or 5.

During detox, hit the hot bath or Jacuzzi as often as you need to for muscle aches. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of hot soaks. Spend the entire time, if necessary, in a hot bath. This simple method will alleviate what is for many the worst opiate WD symptom.

Use the Imodium aggressively to stop the runs. Take as much as you need, as often as you need it. Don't take it, however, if you don't need it.

At the end of the fourth day, you should be waking up from the Valium and experiencing the beginnings of the opiate WD malaise. Upon rising (empty stomach), take the L-Tyrosine. Try 2000 mgs, and scale up or down, depending on how you feel. You can take up to 4,000 mgs. Take the L-Tyrosine with B6 to help absorption. Wait about one hour before eating breakfast. The L-Tyrosine will give you a surge of physical and mental energy that will help counteract the malaise. You may continue to take it each morning for as long as it helps. If you find it gives you the "coffee jitters," consider lowering the dosage or discontinuing it altogether. Occasionally, L-Tyrosine can cause the runs. Unlike the runs from opiate WD, however, this effect of L-Tyrosine is mild and normally does not return after the first hour. Lowering the dosage may help.

Continue to take the vitamin/mineral supplement with breakfast.

As soon as you can force yourself to, get some mild exercise such as walking, cycling, swimming, etc. This will be hard at first, but will make you feel considerably better.

Thomas"

Cece123 is offline Member

Hi! I have also been through the horrible w/d's associated with opiate addiction. The one thing that really helped me was a hot bath. My entire body would ache so I would sit in a hot bath for as long as I could stand it-the hotter, the better. It really did sooth the pain. I also took 2 Advil PM's before bed and the first few days were rough. I was so tired but I had the restless leg syndrome going on.......legs aching and in constant motion and I barely slept a wink. The worst is behind me and I feel like my old self again. The aching is gone and I finally have some energy-that part was the worst! I am normally a hyper person but since I stopped taking the pills (any opiate I could find) I could barely get out of the bed! Anyway, my point is this.....it WILL get better and when you are back to your old self again, you will be so proud of yourself! Keep up the good work and if you get tempted or depressed or just need to vent, come post a thread here and let these wonderful people help you. Each and everyone of them helped me along the way and I am forever grateful to all of the faceless angels on this site. I owe them my life!

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Cece123 View Post
    Hi! I have also been through the horrible w/d's associated with opiate addiction. The one thing that really helped me was a hot bath. My entire body would ache so I would sit in a hot bath for as long as I could stand it-the hotter, the better. It really did sooth the pain. I also took 2 Advil PM's before bed and the first few days were rough. I was so tired but I had the restless leg syndrome going on.......legs aching and in constant motion and I barely slept a wink. The worst is behind me and I feel like my old self again. The aching is gone and I finally have some energy-that part was the worst! I am normally a hyper person but since I stopped taking the pills (any opiate I could find) I could barely get out of the bed! Anyway, my point is this.....it WILL get better and when you are back to your old self again, you will be so proud of yourself! Keep up the good work and if you get tempted or depressed or just need to vent, come post a thread here and let these wonderful people help you. Each and everyone of them helped me along the way and I am forever grateful to all of the faceless angels on this site. I owe them my life!

Hi CeCe ... it's very good to see you back on the forum and still CLEAN. I remember well how you struggled during your taper but you stuck it out and look at you now! You deserve to be proud of yourself.

Don't be a stranger on the forum. There are always people who could stand to hear some positive feedback from someone like you who has been clean for a matter of months. People in detox relate to you where they won't with me or some of the others who've been clean for some time.

You have a good future ahead of you now. I'm happy for you. You never have to use again. I know that's a relief! Take care and God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Thank you Robert! I did actually have a relapse during my taper I was several days into the taper and was at the point were I took one in the am and 2 in the pm. Well, I forgot to take my am dose so I stupidly took 3 in the pm. Darn it-I felt so good that I started up again but swore that I would never go back to the amount that I was at before-yeah right! The addict in me reasoned that I could handle it. Well, I kept on going until I was back at the massive amount as before when I lost my vision for 12 scary hours. That scared me so bad that I knew it was time to stop. I prayed for help and I guess that was my answer. I am feeling good now and to be honest, I really miss it sometimes but I know that I can never go there again. If I do, I am signing my own death certificate.

To everyone battling any addictions, if I can do it, you can certainly do it! Hang in there and reach out for help when you need it. These good people will be there for you and so will I!

BeavisMom62 is offline Member

Hi, Melly. How are you doing? You haven't checked in in a day or two. I hope all is well. I just tapered off hydro and have done well. I kinda had my own Thomas recipe, I took suggestions but didn't follow to the letter. You might want to though since it is so helpful. But I have a hot tub, which I used. I have Neurontin three times a day and Robaxin at night, which are prescribed. I took Valerian, magnesium, potassium, B6, C, folate along with my usual daily vitamins: a multi, calcium, E, milk thistle, fish oil (I think that is all). Drink lots of water, juice and gatorade. I never got to try the L-tyrosine but Ive heard it helps. Good luck and check in with us.

oops-forgot to mention that the vitamin B-Complex helps too! It gives you energy. It makes some people jittery but it worked well for me.

BeavisMom62 is offline Member

Melly, please check in with us! Let us know how you are doing? Is there anything we can do to help?

fadwa18 is offline New Member

Unhappy so scared but willing....

Hello everyone... you all are very supportive and wonderful people and that is why I need some guidence and strength. I am 19 years old and addicted to hydrocodone. I started when I was 16 when my grandmother ( who gets 150 hydrocodone 10s apap 5mgs every month) offered one to me because I was injured badly at a softball game. I loved how it made me feel open and not shy. It wiped away my depression and made life barable for me. I've had a rough life since I was 7 so it was perfect. Over time it got out of control and next thing I knew I was getting hydrocodone from my nuerologist for my severe migraines. Its so out of control... this past year I have attempted several times to just stop. I don't wna be dependent on this horrible pill anymore. It ruined my life even more. I wana feel free and not have to worry every 4 hours whether or not I'm gona have withdrawals and how bad they will be. I don't take them to get high... I don't have a mental addiction. The only thing stopping me is the damn withdrawals. Everything is fine but the restless legs... I just wana cry by the second day do to no sleep..... hot showers help but only for 20 min after u get out of it. I wana give up on life so badly and just not care its sos severe. I never thought >> ever be like this. I don't drink or do other drugs like most kids my age... I'm so mature and responsible but the medicine was a escape... I don't know what to do :'(.

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fadwa18 View Post
    Hello everyone... you all are very supportive and wonderful people and that is why I need some guidence and strength. I am 19 years old and addicted to hydrocodone. I started when I was 16 when my grandmother ( who gets 150 hydrocodone 10s apap 5mgs every month) offered one to me because I was injured badly at a softball game. I loved how it made me feel open and not shy. It wiped away my depression and made life barable for me. I've had a rough life since I was 7 so it was perfect. Over time it got out of control and next thing I knew I was getting hydrocodone from my nuerologist for my severe migraines. Its so out of control... this past year I have attempted several times to just stop. I don't wna be dependent on this horrible pill anymore. It ruined my life even more. I wana feel free and not have to worry every 4 hours whether or not I'm gona have withdrawals and how bad they will be. I don't take them to get high... I don't have a mental addiction. The only thing stopping me is the damn withdrawals. Everything is fine but the restless legs... I just wana cry by the second day do to no sleep..... hot showers help but only for 20 min after u get out of it. I wana give up on life so badly and just not care its sos severe. I never thought >> ever be like this. I don't drink or do other drugs like most kids my age... I'm so mature and responsible but the medicine was a escape... I don't know what to do :'(.
    Hi fadwa
    I'm so sorry this has a hold on you..it has happened to most of us on here..there are ways to stop , but you have to make up in your mind that your DONE and never want to go back..
    we are all here to help so just let us know when your ready...
    Melinda

shybaybe2003 is offline Senior Member

I understand what you are going thu using narcotics as way to feel better emotionally. When I was on vicodin or other opiates I just felt on top of the world. I am painfully shy, Lack social skills and Consider myself so boring sober and clean. But when I was on pills, I felt attractive, witty, open, and outgoing. But I feel somewhere in us, there is a void that we are constantly trying to fill..me with drugs or alcohol. But i realize that is not the answer. it just makes everything worse, as i know you are finding out. for me, coming to this forum has been a real eye opener. I dont get a lot of responses from people anymore, just a few regulars( sometimes I think I wore out my welcome on this forum by my inabiltiy to get clean), but either way, I am grateful for the few people who do respond to me, and it really helps reading other peoples posts. I wish you luck, and I am where you are, I know what your going thru.
    Last edited by shybaybe2003; 11-03-2010 at 02:52 PM. Reason: error

wtman is offline New Member

I'm in hell as I lay here on the couch. The headache is killing me...feels like someone inserted their hand at the base of my neck and slowly massaging my brain.then when I think its gone he taps my brain just to let me know...Im still here.Had back surgury, 2 times, have RA, degerative[sp] back disease.WAAAAAAAAA woah is me......I had it with the damn pain meds.I choose not to buy any more.The docs cut me off anyway....started buying on the street.ahhh another smart choice.Both contacts got busted.Had an offer today for 120 10s......was on my way to buy them.....hell no. I turned my truck around and came back home. Lucky for me my wife and daughter are out of town for a week. Please God let be well when they get home.I lay on the couch now, blanket around me...just for the chills.they will go away soon...right?? RIGHT???????????.I coud go into my room, the night stand is where it is,noooooooo, not pills,escape. Cant do that.Not to my Wife.Not to my Daughter.
    Excuse me...have to go....the bathroom...I know...shhhhhhhh.Ok starting cold turkey..I can I know i can....I want to. I do. I dont feel well now, gonna go...lay here and stare....pray for sleep....no sleep last night......no sleep today....Please God let me sleep...Just random thoughts of my first 36 hour cold turkey....Does it get better??? I will post again if I make it...................... almost forgot....my wife doesnt know...how could she not? Bye....gotta sleep now....yeah sure....gl people...Ty for creating this forum....again......ahhhhh forget it....all the posts are old...anyone here??????????
    Last edited by wtman; 09-17-2011 at 11:41 PM.

wtman is offline New Member

Just my luck.....all the posts are old.............no one is here........

Denny_D is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by wtman View Post
    Just my luck.....all the posts are old.............no one is here........
    wtman .... I'm here. Welcome to the forum. Great decision to post here. I know just how you feel. It takes guts to go cold turkey. It really does.

If you are at 36 hours, you have gotten the worst of the withdrawls behind you. Don't use and you will have this thing beaten in a couple more days I'm sure.

Google "The Thomas Recipe". It has many vitamins, minerals, and supplements in it to help with detox.. I'll try to find the link and post it here for you.

Try to get some exercise. Take a walk/run, sports activity, or anything physical as your current health allows you to do. Hope this helps and God Bless.....Denny

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...wal-35169.html

p.s. please start a new thread in your name. It will be seen by many more forum readers and your questions will be answered by many more!
    Last edited by Denny_D; 09-17-2011 at 11:56 PM.

nobby02 is offline Member

Sweetie I am not discounting your feelings but I do want to tell you that if you are at day three you are nearly done, by day five you should start feeling better. So if you really want to quit then you are practically there.

misspolly is offline New Member

Default Glad I found this site

I have been addicted to pain killers for about 2 years. I stopped taking them yesterday cold turkey. It just has to stop. I started taking them when I broke my foot and then would get them from other people. It is SO hard to stop! Was hard to get out of bed yesterday and hard to function today. I want to have a clear mind again. It has been so long I don't remember what it was like. I have read on the posts here that after 5 days I should feel a whole lot better. I am counting on it...can't keep on this way. Always worried about getting more...I want to stop this addiction. I am on day 2. Will keep posting my journey to freedom.

Denny_D is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by misspolly View Post
    I have been addicted to pain killers for about 2 years. I stopped taking them yesterday cold turkey. It just has to stop. I started taking them when I broke my foot and then would get them from other people. It is SO hard to stop! Was hard to get out of bed yesterday and hard to function today. I want to have a clear mind again. It has been so long I don't remember what it was like. I have read on the posts here that after 5 days I should feel a whole lot better. I am counting on it...can't keep on this way. Always worried about getting more...I want to stop this addiction. I am on day 2. Will keep posting my journey to freedom.
    Polly ..... welcome to the forum. You will find lots of people with years of experience all offering comments, support, and suggestions.

Congratulations on making it for 2 days clean! That is a very big accomplishment. I know exactly just how you are feeling. I abused opiates and just about everything else for 35 years. I went the Suboxone route to get myself clean.

I am going to give you the link for "The Thomas Recipe". It has lots of very good vitamins, minerals, and supplements to help with the withdrawls, and for everyday health. It is right below.....

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...wal-35169.html

You will not need the Benzo's that are mentioned right now and hopefully not at all. Also probably the most important thing you can do is get as much exercise as your body will allow. Take a walk or run, bike ride, swimming, climb stairs, or anything that your physical abilities will allow. It helps so much.

And as you have read, 3 to 5 days and you should start to feel much better. Everyone is different as it depends on your metabolism, physical condition, and general overall health.

One other piece of advice is that your sleep patterns will be the last thing to return to normal. The opiates really mess with it. Try some Sleepy Time Tea or Melatonin (both natural) to help you get some rest.

Congrats again on your desire to get clean. Remember you don't ever have to use again. Hope this helps. God Bless.....Denny

p.s. forgot to mention that if you start you own thread you will receive many more replys. You are at the end of another persons thread which is ok, but it is on the back page and most won't see it.
    Last edited by Denny_D; 09-23-2011 at 03:26 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast