Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes
Hydrocodone withdrawal
    hankreich is offline New Member

Default Day 20 of my withdraw plan

I really need some help from people in here who have done this before.
    I had a back injury 5 years ago, I started taking Hydrocodone and eventually went from one a day to more than 10 a day.
    I finally decided that its not worth it anymore to be addicted to this stuff.
    In the last 20 days, I have been using the slow withdraw method. I went from 10 a day to down to 1 pill a day. But for some reason I just can't stop with the one a day. My body hurts, I have a constant headaches, my bones hurt. I just can't make that final step. I know it's going to be painful, but for how long? Has anyone else done it this way? How do I make that final step?

Denny_D is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by hankreich View Post
    I really need some help from people in here who have done this before.
    I had a back injury 5 years ago, I started taking Hydrocodone and eventually went from one a day to more than 10 a day.
    I finally decided that its not worth it anymore to be addicted to this stuff.
    In the last 20 days, I have been using the slow withdraw method. I went from 10 a day to down to 1 pill a day. But for some reason I just can't stop with the one a day. My body hurts, I have a constant headaches, my bones hurt. I just can't make that final step. I know it's going to be painful, but for how long? Has anyone else done it this way? How do I make that final step?
    Hank ..... Maybe you could reduce even farther than the 1 pill per day. Try to cut the pill in half, then in half again. You will have 4 pieces of each pill then.

Try to take 3/4 of a pill for about 4 days or so. Then take 1/2 of a pill for 4 days or so. Then take 1/4 of a pill for 4 days or so. And finally you are finished. That may take some of the symptoms away.

Think about that and decide if you think you might want to give it a go. Might make your symptoms a little more tolerable. Hope this helps. God Bless.....Denny

Catrina is offline Advanced Member

Hey Hank!

Wow you did one fast taper. I think that's why you've had a tough time of it but in the end, you're at 1 pill a day. YAY. I can only imagine that you're thinking, wtf, I got my dose this low and I can't let go and fell like ????? Again, wtf??? I think (because tapering was never my strong point...I so admire those who can taper!) that you're feeling the way you do because you've tapered so quickly. The good news is that you've tapered a looonnnng way and you're almost done. I promise you, stop that pill. You've lived a nightmare of withdrawal for 20 days and if you resist that last pill you have 5 (or less) to go and you'll begin to feel a whole lot better. That last pill is keeping your mind and body demanding more.

I'm going to start a thread that is your own. You will get more responses just for you. Don't lose touch with this Forum. If it weren't for this Forum, who knows where I'd be right now. This Forum and its members became my best friends and confidant. The only place I let me be me and be totally honest, essential for getting clean and staying that way.

Watch for your thread and post there. We'll be checking on you.

Peace,

Cat
    freegirl311 likes this.
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." Kahil Gibran (1883-1931).

MetalDuckMFC is offline Senior Member

That really is amazing, Hank. To have that kind of willpower. I know I didn't. I had to cold turkey from a relatively high dose of Oxy, and it was HELL! But I am 5 months clean now, and couldn't be happier. Once you make it past this final hurdle, you will understand what I mean.

You did a VERY good job with that taper by yourself. I also suggest what Denny is suggesting. Also, when you get to about 1/4 of a pill, if you still struggle, you can try the day skipping method. Where you dose 1 day, skip the next, dose again, skip 2 days, dose again, skip 3 days, etc. until it is fully out of your system. That should help minimize the withdrawals even further.

God bless, and good luck.

alicecooper6 is offline New Member

I have been on hydrocodone now since my knee surgery in Oct 2011. I was taking 8 tabs a day(5-325) at t first and got down to 4 tabs a day. I received a new job offer but need to take a drug test first. Spoke with ortho surgeon about going cold turkey. he said that the first 3-4 will be VERY rough. So far I have been on day 2!/2 now with the following results. Running nose, yawning all the time,teary eyes, diarrhea, nausea,headache and no appetite.
    Doc said the worse will be day 3 after that the withdrawal will get better. He said MOST people will feel much better after day 5. We will see.
    Taking vitamin and motrin for my knee pain now. No leg cramps.

Quote Originally Posted by alicecooper6 View Post
    I have been on hydrocodone now since my knee surgery in Oct 2011. I was taking 8 tabs a day(5-325) at t first and got down to 4 tabs a day. I received a new job offer but need to take a drug test first. Spoke with ortho surgeon about going cold turkey. he said that the first 3-4 will be VERY rough. So far I have been on day 2!/2 now with the following results. Running nose, yawning all the time,teary eyes, diarrhea, nausea,headache and no appetite.
    Doc said the worse will be day 3 after that the withdrawal will get better. He said MOST people will feel much better after day 5. We will see.
    Taking vitamin and motrin for my knee pain now. No leg cramps.

Alicecooper, you are commenting on an old thread. If you want more feedback, I'd suggest starting your own, new thread.

As far as your withdrawals go, you will be just fine. I am on day 13 of cold turkey, and my intake was three times yours, for years.I felt worlds better after day 5!!!

You can do it! Remember lots of vitamins and healthy food! Try to get some exercise! All of this will help. If you need anything, I am here!

God bless!

jheckrocks is offline New Member

Wink jheckrocks

Quote Originally Posted by sickofhydrocodone View Post
    Hello, I am obviously new here and need some much needed advice about Hydrocodone 10/500 mg. cold turkey withdrawal... I started taking Hyrocodone around April or May of 08. can't remember the exact month.But that is a pretty close assumption. Anyway I was put on them by my Nuerologist before I had back surgery in June of 08, I have been on them every since... When I first started taking them I was given a prescription of 120 per month of 10/500mg. I did well not taking more than prescribe... After the TLIF surgery on my L5 S1 region with hardware, I began taking them in a higher does , I don't believe I've ever taken more than 5 to 6 in a day(pretty sure) Then I started having muscle spasms in my surgery area think this was due to scar tissue from surgery..well for that they prescribed Soma 350 mg. 3 X per day along with the Hydrocodone. I've done pretty well with that not to take more than 4 per day. In Dec.08 my Nuerologist decided since I was still having pain that he could no longer prescribe the pain meds and Soma , so he sent me to a pain management clinic in Jan 09, I have been going there for 4 mos. now. Well here's the thing. I ran out of Hydrocodone before my schedule appt and new they would not give me anything. I have not had any hydrocodone since Sun. April 5th 09. I was in such withdrawal pain I called th pain mgmt doc and moved my appt to yesterday. and told him the Hydrocodone was no longer working for my pain. He prescribe Percocet 10/325 mg. I took one when I got the script filled yesterday. I am still having withdrawals from the hydrocodone. I refuse to take ant of the Percocets and am on day 3 with no hydrocodone. I am sick to my stomach, severe leg cramps( this is the roughest one) And cry for no reason. I am still taking the soma to help the leg cramps(is that a good idea?) Iam only taking those like every 6 to 8 hours and holding out as long as I can stand it. As I know these are also addictive. I am very serious about getting off these meds. But the leg cramps are preventing me from sleeping the Soma only gets rid of the leg cramps for about 2 to 4 hrs if I'm lucky. I can't say i've had much sleep in the past 3 days, the cravings are better as far as not wanting any of the Hydrocodone. But I have completely lost my appetite. and drink water because my mouth is so dry. which I guess is a good thing to stay hydrated.I guess what Iam asking is how long these physical symptoms will go on so I can get some much needed sleep. Fortunately Iam laid of work right now and don't have to worry about that. And any remedies for leg cramps would be greatly appreciated. As this so far is the most untolerable symptom as of yet. sorry one more question? With me taking the 1 Percocet yesterday will this set my recovery time back. I have not had anything since 3 pm yesterday except Soma for the leg cramps. Thanks for listening and sorry this is so long!

Dear sick of hydrocodone: What you are experiencing is likely not entirely from the hydrocodone, but rebound pain, and to the max. Hydrocodone while an effective pain reliever is extremely addictive physically and psychologically. Myself I get by with 3 hydrocodone 10's a day. I have skipped a few days before and while I don't like it it is tolorable. Has it occurred to you that pain management of this type might not still be a bad idea? My suggestion would be use just a couple of the tablets you have now per day, but no more if you can and get back to your practitioner ASAP. There is a medication out there called MS-Contin which is available generic as well. Don't let the morphine part scare you off, because they are in usually a time release gelatin form which really cannot go through you too quickly. Personally I have found that the MS-Contin while it still has a physical dependency, it is not habit forming very much. Not compared to the ketones, especially oxy. Stay away from methadone. Don't try to stop medications without tapering off and that includes many many non controlled substances are physically and partially psychologically addictive but not habit forming. Good Luck jheckrocks

Suzzy B. is offline New Member

Default Thank YOU....hate Hydrocodone!!! Trying to get off..help!

Hi, I"m an oldie, but determined! I'm 67 yrs. young and married for 43 yrs to a man that I'm in love with everyday of my life! Lucky...you bet. Raised and educated 4 children - all with Masters Degree's and have 8 gorgeous grandchildren. I was a social worker and was doing an assessment of an abused child just recently. Afterwards, I went out of the trailer/shanty home and started down about 9 wooden steps of which all collapsed and I went straight down on my tail bone. I have been on Hydrocodone for nearly 2 years at various strengths.

Just recently on Jan. 4 2012 I was able to have through WC a spinal fusion with lumbar 4 and 5. A few days after surgery I had horrid pain while in the hospital, and nothing....nothing stopped the pain. On Jan.10th they finally checked me in a MRI and Cat-scan and found out that all the screws and titanium bars had come out as the manufacturer of the screws gave the physician the wrong ones, and I was bleeding. That's another story. I had on Jan.10th, 2012 the exact same surgery again, only this time they put in a "H" bracket with screws. My body went into "shock" after this surgery and my salt count was down to 113. I was rushed to ICU and my body tried to shut down, from high blood pressure, to low, lost potassium, had high sugar count, then low sugar count etc etc etc.

I ended up staying in hospital for 28 days. I then was transferred to a Physical Therapy Hospital as my L leg was not working right.

Needless to say, I said ALL that "stuff" to say that I had every kind of pain narcotic they have. They encouraged the Oxy's, which I did not like at all. They even OD'd me on pain meds and I was passed out. Horrible, horrible.

In the PT place they monitored me every second and they started me back on the Oxycodone again. This time a much milder does of it, but if I needed could take 2 pills (yuck!). By the time I had gotten home from PT, which I did gain the use of the L leg but its very weak and hip still is dropping somewhat (time and lots of walking), I KNEW the first thing I wanted to do was GET OFF the pain meds.and muscle relaxer Baclofen (sp?).

Baclofen was no problem as I hadn't been on it for very long. However....the HydroC was another thing. I weened down to 1 pill a day and then totally off it.

I had NO CLUE what hit me. I ached, had back spasms....and anxiety, and the worst is the horrid stomach pains and intestinal pains...the rumbling...that never stops and the running to bathroom constantly. I had such a bad runny nose, and stuffed head and headache. This is my 3rd day and it might have lessened a bit, but not that much.

My biggest question is can I take other over the counter meds? Like Tylenol X-strength? Advil? Motrin? Asperin? Excedrin? Which are best??? ALSO can I take immodium for the diarreaha or nothing at all to let it all come out? I am drinking a lot of water and ginger ale as stomach is so upset and I have absolutely NO appetite whatsoever. Its like I don't have taste buds anymore??? I ache all over, like the flu, and am dead tired as I can't sleep at night at all. Lie in bed, eyes wide open. I have NEVER had that happen to me.

I read all your posts I think, I am so sorry any of you have had to go through this as well. Congrats to all of you that have made it through. Do you think this ol lady can make it through??? I surely DO NOT EVER want to take narcotic pain meds EVER again. How long can this last before any relief????

I force myself, with the help of dear H to walk twice daily as far as I can with a rolling walker. THAT helps alot!

Help and I'm so frustrated. Suzzy B.

deleted116 is offline Member

Hi Suzzy, you may want to start your own thread to get more responses, as this is an old one.

Wow, I'm so sorry for all that you have gone through. Since all of your medication came from your Dr., and as a result of your injuries, have you talked to your Dr. about this? All that you are describing are indeed classic withdrawel symptoms. Everyone gets different ones to varying degrees, but that's basically it. Yes, take Immodium for the stomach issues, and advil can't hurt for the aches and pains. Other than that keep drinking plenty of water and if you can try to take a walk or get in some sort of exercise everyday. It really helps with mood, gives you a little energy lift (even when you really feel like you can't do it), and it will speed everything along. Whatever kind of music you like, listen to it ALOT, it does wonders.

Not sure what dosage you were on, but the physical symptoms of withdrawel usually take about 5 days to pass, more or less. I'm on Day 5 right now myself. The very worst of the physical is over....although oddly I had more energy yesterday than I do today?? Starting to realize though that normal people have varying degrees of energy everyday, and it's not normal to be hyped up all day from pills.

From your post it sounds like you are physically dependent on the drugs, but not so much mentally...am I right about that? If so, just keep getting through each day and keep the faith that you'll start feeling better very soon. For a lot of us, that's when the mental fight really begins though.

Good luck!

Comeback Kid is offline Advanced Member

Yes, please do take some advil for your pains. Immodium is an excellent treatment for the upset stomach. Search on this forum for the "Thomas Recipe" it will help for sure. Just make sure you take plenty of vitamins drink water and get exercise if possible. Did you mention how you will treat the pain? Are you in chronic pain currently?

Take Care

strugglin32 is offline New Member

Hi I'm new here and just recently decided to stop taking pain meds....I am really struggling and its only been about 36 hours....I kno this is the right thing to do because of my job and more importantly my family. I have had a lot of problems with my teeth and that has caused me to become reliant on hydrocodone mostly....I'm only 25 and unfortunately my line of work allows me to see the havoc that pain meds have on people and their families and that scares me to death but for some odd reason doesn't stop me from using them. Worst of all I find myself looking around for more pain pills in my house because my dad has a standing prescription. I am ashamed of myself and disappointed....mainly I am just so tired. I already have anxiety and insomnia so I kno this going to be rough..... please I need help any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.....

Strugglin32

Comeback Kid is offline Advanced Member

hey strugglin, im glad to see you have posted and came to the realization you have a problem. This is where you should be, you will find all kinds of support and advice. Start your own thread and it will be the best way to get you through the early withdrawls, and see your progress. Hang in there buddy, im 127 days clean and It's a whole new world, worth living.
    toni.s. and MP5 like this.
    Hi my name is Adam, i'm an addict
    "Do you have another day 1 in you?"
    “If I can't win what sense does it make to fight?”
    Do tomorrow what you did today, you get tomorrow what you got today
    Clean as of 05.30.2014 (4:00pm CST)

strugglin32 is offline New Member

How do I start my own thread

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by strugglin32 View Post
    How do I start my own thread
    at the top left of the need to talk section there is blue button saying post new thread.....
    welcome!
    Last edited by Anonymous; 06-09-2012 at 09:22 PM. Reason: oops!
    Comeback Kid likes this.

thalia45 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by strugglin32 View Post
    Hi I'm new here and just recently decided to stop taking pain meds....I am really struggling and its only been about 36 hours....I kno this is the right thing to do because of my job and more importantly my family. I have had a lot of problems with my teeth and that has caused me to become reliant on hydrocodone mostly....I'm only 25 and unfortunately my line of work allows me to see the havoc that pain meds have on people and their families and that scares me to death but for some odd reason doesn't stop me from using them. Worst of all I find myself looking around for more pain pills in my house because my dad has a standing prescription. I am ashamed of myself and disappointed....mainly I am just so tired. I already have anxiety and insomnia so I kno this going to be rough..... please I need help any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.....

Strugglin32
    Stugglin, don't ever be afraid to post; just name your new thread carefully. I , without thinking started a new thread: Day 3.... etc. Hope it does not continue to be "Day 3" !!! With some trepidation I started one called simply Thalia. All the posts that have gone before are easy to find.

I will watch for your new thread! There is a lot of help here, and something you can keep as a "longtime" journal is best.

BTW, the "treasure hunt" is something I have done a number of times; at least my pockets have no lint!

All best, Thalia
    Last edited by thalia45; 06-14-2012 at 01:42 PM.

katiekitten is offline New Member

Default Need Help

Hi. I really need some help. I had my gallbladder removed on the 6th of Aug. and for about three weeks I was taking Hydroco. I didn't know it was very addicting til I was getting very overheated and I talked to my Dr. that did the surgery and he said that I was addicted.. I stopped taking the night before I was shaking nausea and overheated badly.. I thought that it wasn't and I could get more. I thought it was from the surgery and I wasnt healed.... I am 19 yrs old and it's been 4 days since i've been off and it isn't easing up. I've read some of the post and you guys are saying on day 5 i'll be better or should... I throw up this morning and i'm tired and overheated still (badly)... I really want to sleep... so my boyfriend can also get some sleep.. Is there anything to help with the overheated? Anything at all? I'm using just a wash cloth right now... I feel really sick too.. I'm tired of this pain.. I kinda just want to take the pill so I can sleep and eat some food.. I have pretty much lost 11 lb from not eating and stuff. So if anyone can respond so I would love it... I want to feel better and sleep and maybe be able to go someplace with my boyfriend.... So plz help..

deanslawncare is offline New Member

Maybe I can help someone coming off hydrocodone, I was taking 7-9 watson 540's or the M363 per day and anyone with an adiction knows what those are, if you don't then I would not say your addicted to hydrocodone. I also took the 932 perks maybe 6 a day when I ran out of hydros, or the 933 or the 512s what ever I could get for two years. I ran out of money trying to support my habit. So I said to hell with this I want my life back, I also took the op80s or 40s or the blue 15s from time to time, and my son looked at me and said I looked out of it and I needed to go to rehab. That was the realazation for me that I had a problem. So I went cold turkey and it was horrible I can't describe how bad I felt, even taking advil, tylonal and benidril and the imodium helped, but by the end of the 4th day starting my 5th day things really started feeling way better at that point I knew I could do it. I do not know if your religious but I called a pastor to talk to and I honestly believe its the devil trying to get you with these drugs. Well I knuckeled down and by the 6th day I feel almost as good as I did taking the drugs. Its hard to see hope the first two to three days of withdrawal from these drugs, but trust me it gets better and better, if your on your 1st, 2nd or third day stay with it your almost over the worst you will be over it soon. Now if your on methadone I think its much worse and I have no experience with that. But if your having a problem getting off hydros then your a fool to try methadone because if you do you will be on that for the rest of your life, because its way harder and worse to come off of.

cold turkey I encurage you to stay with it, things are going to get better I promise, its hard to see right now but I promise it gets better soon.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 07-03-2013 at 03:16 PM.

Readyforlife is offline New Member

Hello I'm not sure how to start my own thread so I'm tagging onto this one. I also have been taking hydrocodone for prolly 5 years recreationally. Something that started so innocently surely snow balled to taking 10 to 12 10mg a day. I am now on 36 hours after taking my last pill and of course have all the symptoms listed. Tried zzquill last night to sleep I slept an hour and a half. My legs are not as bothersome today which could be due to eating bananas. I have an appointment today at 2:30 with a sub dr and honestly I'm scared of substituting one thing for another. After reading a lot on suboxone I'm scared of it and thinking I should just continue cold turkey. Right now my sleep is the worst part and not sure of the next few days. Just looking for any input or support. Thanks

lostbutready is offline New Member

I need help. Where can I share my story?

lindenx is offline Member

lostbutready, this forum is the right place to begin and you can start a thread here. I am not sure if you need to have posted a few times to do that, but someone will be along who can better inform you; I just wanted to welcome you to the site.

lostbutready is offline New Member

I'm only 20 years old, and I'm addicted to hydrocodone. I've been reading on this forum for about 6 months now, and just recently joined. I'm ready to share my story. My habit started early in the year of 2012 when I have a very difficult breakup. I used the pills to try and get my mind off of it, and I started off taking small doses (1 10mg) just to feel good, well that soon escalated to taking anywhere from 9- 10/325 norcos in a days time to sometimes 20 or 30 in one day. I am not perscribed them. I have went C/T many times, and always relapsed. I'm ready to get rid of this nasty devil taking over my life. My days revolve around how full my pill bottle is, and I don't want to live like this anymore. I'm ready to kick the nasty opiate. I'm willing to do it this time. I have a wonderful boyfriend, family, and bestfriend. Only my best friend knows what's going on, and I just recently told him everything tonight. I just need some support. I will start C/T tomorrow. I tried to say but ended up taking 3 7.5 hydro, one 5mg hydro and a half of a 5mg. They were spread out throughout the day. Although, I will tell you this is the worst I've ever felt today. I didn't get a buzz, and they didn't even help, really. I don't get the "buzz" anymore. I take them to feel "normal". I've done horrible things to buy them, and I'm even in debt at only 20 years old. Any advice, encouragement, or reply will help. Thanks for reading.

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Hey Lost but ready,

The way to start a new thread is to go to the main page of the "Need to Talk" forum here: http://www.drugs.com/forum/need-talk/

Then use the button for "Post New Thread" and go from there.

What you've done is added to an old thread, so it is less likely to be seen by others here. You're better off with your own new thread. You can start it any time.

The first thing you need to do when you stop is to get rid of ANY and ALL pills you have. And you need to cut off any access to more pills. Seriously, this disease of addiction can't afford the luxury of a "safety net" - because we'll find some excuse for more. Set yourself up to succeed.

Also - get yourself to some NA or AA meetings - the sooner, the better. That's where you'll find the support and guidance you need. This forum is a great supplement to a 12-step program, but can't take the place of it. You can find local meetings through the NA.org or AA.org websites.

Feel free to post on your thread as often as you need to. If you ever need to find me or have a question, you can post to me on my thread at http://www.drugs.com/forum/need-talk...658-63459.html.

God bless - you can do this!
    Ruth

You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12