Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
hydrocodone use and pregnancy
    fancy1866 is offline New Member

Default hydrocodone use and pregnancy

I have been taking hydrocodone for about 6 weeks for severe back pain. I am 30 weeks pregnant and want to taper off so baby is not born addicted. Does anyone know how? After 6 weeks of use would I be physically dependent?

Thank You

Penelope is offline Junior Member

Fancy,

You are a very strong person to seek advice, and you are doing the right thing! Congratulations on being pregnant! The good news is that you have only been using the pain pills for six weeks, and although you are pregnant, you should have a lot of success because you are not a long term user. You would have withdrawals if you were to stop immediately and you should never do that because you could miscarry. But the good news is I believe you will have a lot of success tapering your dose and should not have those cravings that a long term user would have after you are finished taking those pills. In addition, your withdrawals should not be as bad as someone who has been using for a lot longer.

You never said how many mg. you are taking a day and that would make a difference. Tell me that, okay? But again, you should have an easy time tapering and most importantly staying off the pain pills. I can't tell you exactly where to start because I don't know your dosage, but if you take, say 60 mg. a day, I would taper VERY slowly. I would probably start tapering in two to three day intervals. For example, if you are now taking 60 mg, try to go down to 50-55 mg for two to three days at a time and stay there until you taper your dose once again. Probably two days would actually work. Then go down another 5 mg for the next two days and so on. Going down five mg. every two to three days would probably be the safer of the two, just because you are pregnant. When you get down to practically nothing, you can taper the mg. even less.

It is worse for the baby if you were to stop cold turkey with these pills. Don't ever do that! I would really recommend taking your time because going fast could definitely cause you to miscarry also, and that is something you need to be concerned about also! Make it as comfortable on yourself as possible because you are making it comfortable on the baby, in addition. You would be better off with the baby being born addicted rather than trying to stop immediately!! So just go really slow with your taper and you should do fine. Your dependency after only six weeks should not be bad at all on you.

Again, if you tell me your dosage, I will try to advise you as best as I can. I am not a doctor, but I am aware of some of the effects that pain pills could have on the baby if you aren't careful or if you were to stop abruptly. You might want to check with your doctor also just to be on the safe side. I wouldn't be too scared, yet still concerned, because I believe you will have a lot of success with getting off them and staying off them! Since you have only been taking them for six weeks, after you are finished tapering down to nothing, you should not have any problems and should have a baby born without any addiction. Good luck to you and I hope this helps! [:I]

Penelope,

Thanks for responding!! I am taking the 5/500 which I believe is 5mg. I try to limit myself to 5 a day but have also taken less, and on a rare occassion taken 6 or 7. I thought maybe I could take 4 for a couple days, then 3 for a couple days, and so on. For some reason I am embarassed to talk to my OBGYN., although he is the one that prescribed the medication, so he must know whether I am dependent or not. Unfortunately the pain is real, and can be excrutiating, but I do not want the baby to have to be on meds after birth for withdrawal. I will be having a scheduled C-section around 37-38 weeks, so I think I have plenty of time to get it out of my system so the baby isn't affected. I am 30 weeks currently.
    Again thanks for the reply and advice.

Fancy,
    Rest assurred, you do have time to get that amount out of your system and you really do want to do that! I certainly do understand your concerns about talking to your doctor. But I wouldn't freak out about taking around 20 mg. to 25 mg. of hydro a day. Yes, it's better not to take anything, but I am SO VERY GLAD that you are only taking that much! So feel good that you CAN DO THIS. I would go down on my dose, 5 mg every two days. IF you feel physically bad at all, then cut them in half and you will only be dropping down to 2.5 mg per day! Like I said, if you are comfortable, so is the baby, so don't let yourself hurt. You should be able to do this in less than two to three weeks and that is with going very slow! But once you stop, stay there or you may end up starting back! You dosage is not that high at all, and plus thank God you've only been taking them for six weeks! Just try the tylenol for your back pain, but don't overdo that either once you get down to nothing! If the pain is too bad, then talk to your doctor about that once you are off the pain pills! Start this today and you can do it. You are already pretty far along with your pregnancy, so you want to start as soon as you can! Let me know about your progress, and remember, if you start to feel bad, just cut them in half and cut the dose every two days. You shouldn't feel bad at all cutting 2.5 mg. every two days. I think two days (instead of every three days) will work for you since you are on a low dose! Keep me updated and let me know if there's anything else I can help you with!!!

JBowski13 is offline Member

How do you start Pills when your pregnent? Thats like shooting >>>>>>. Most people are on pills and then become pregnent. But you did the opposite? I'm very curious about this.

I wouldn't call it "starting" pills. I have a back condition that causes severe pain. Before I was pregnant I had done the whole oxycontin thing, didn't like how they made me feel, and made the switch to suboxone. Due to my back injury I had never "planned" on becoming pregnant again. (I have an almost 12 year old son). It seems the Lord had other plans. As soon as I found out I was pregnant I stopped taking ALL meds. That was back in September 04. I have been doing everything possible to "deal" with the pain since then. Around Christmas, as the baby got larger, the pain got worse and worse. When I went to the Dr. in Feb. we discussed what I was going through. You have to underdstand I couldn't even walk through the grocery store without being in tears by the time I got to the checkout. My OBGYN said I could safely take vicodin for pain. Trust me I agonized over the decision. Pain puts alot of stress on your body, raises bloodpressure, etc. These factors can be very damaging to a baby. I did not blindly go into taking this medication. I did hours of research. My baby is and always has been the first priority. The OBGYN as well a a Pediatrician have told me that babies are delieved healthy all the time to moms that have to take narcotics for chronic pain. I am making the choice to stop taking the medication for the last few weeks because I do not want my baby to possibly have to be detoxed. Why should she suffer because I have back pain, is how I feel.
    I don't know what else to tell you. If you haven't been where I am you could never understand. I must say I greatly appreciate the responses from Penelope. She has such compassion in her words! There is alot of stigma so to speak around people taking narcotics let alone a pregnant woman. Most people don't know or have the facts, they just judge. I have agonized through this alone, because I know most would not understand. I must add that my back/pain management Dr. wanted to treat me with, I think it is called buprenorphine through pregnancy, and I said NO even though he said he had successfully treated chronic pain in pregnant women with that drug. I could not find any research/information about it's "safe" use during pregnancy.
    I hope this answers your question. As you can see, I did not just "start using pills", and believe me I have never used any illegal substance in response to your >>>>>> comment.
    Best wishes

Fancy,

Don't worry. You took them for a REASON, and did not intentionally try to hurt yourself or the baby! I have a baby now and was very careful myself, but during the pregnancy I was prescribed a small amount of pain pills by my OB/GYN temporarily because I had excruciating pain from my bladder and found out after the baby was born that I had to be placed on another medication (not pain meds though) to help control the pain! I doubt I would have ever been able to take the new medication had I been pregnant, so like you, I dealt with the pain and didn't want my child to go through anything horrible!

I would never judge you because I do not think that you intended to do anything to hurt your baby. No one has a right to judge you EVER! Like you said, no one walks in your shoes but you, and no one knows how you feel or the pain you endure. My heart goes out to you that you are having to suffer, but although it may seem like a lifetime, you will get through this and soon you will soon be holding a healthy baby in your arms! (I would love to come and kiss its little head...they smell so sweet!)

The wonderful trait you possess is that YOU are WILLING to suffer with the pain and to STOP taking the pills so that your baby won't experience addiction in any way. Six weeks of pain pills WILL NOT hurt that baby! Many mothers who are on Methadone and pain pills the whole pregnancy have babies who are born with addiction, and YES that is so very sad, but these poor children do end up fine. Thankfully, you will not be in this situation! You didn't come here to get beaten down; you came here for support so don't let ANYONE beat you down in any way! Shooting >>>>>> certainly is no analogy to what is going on in your life! That's absolutely insane and so rudely judgmental, so Fancy, please disregard such an awful comment and keep on your route to doing all that you can do to make yours and your baby's life the best!! You take care of yourself and that baby! You NEVER intentionally tried to hurt your baby and you KNOW that! People shouldn't even make such a rude post...but it tends to happen from time to time, and you just have to ignore such hurtful words and find the people who actually do understand, do care, and are willing to help you! That post wasn't out of "curiosity" but was merely to humiliate you and was so wrong!

BTW, how is it going now? Were you able to cut your dose like I told you to? If so, where are you now with it? I hope/think that it won't be too hard for you! Let me know how it is going, okay?

Sorry I haven't been around. I went out of town for a day and have been very busy. I look forward to hearing about your success, sweetie!

[:I] (I need an smilie of a big pregnant lady, but this one does have a little water retention it appears!! Ha!)

JBowski13 is offline Member

Hey, I have a wife who is 33 wks pregnet right now and the thought of her taking an opiate kills me(>>>>>> is an opiate too). And I would tell a doctor what you've done. If something is wrong they can fix it, Instead of waiting for a problem to happen. Your right, I'm an F-ing idiot to write what I did, I'm sorry. I just looked at it if My wife did this. Good luck with everything, I'm sorry and please dont hide anything from you doctor.

JBowski13
    I understand your concern if your wife were to take anything while pregnant (even if she had other problems) that you would be so upset, but I don't think Fancy is one of those people who is a ">>>>>>/street" junkie who is trying to harm her baby in any way! Pain pills aren't recommended during pregnancy, but can be taken under a doctor's strict supervision and with strict control with minimal problems, but, of course, it's better if a pregnant woman takes nothing. Neither you nor I feel her pain, but for me after having two babies I know how different it was for me with both pregnancies, but mostly with the last one. Pregnancy can take its toll on a woman's body in itself, but added torture can make the whole process virtually unbearable, making the whole pregnancy so frustrating. I realize that >>>>>> is an opiate, but what you are talking about are two extremes and are like night and day! What she is taking and why she is taking these pain pills would not be for the same purpose that one would "take" (whatever way it is done) >>>>>>. So comparing the two would be erroneous and unfair to Fancy! Being in excruciating pain while pregnant is very hard on a lady, and in addition, it DOES put stress on the baby!

Sometimes it is easier to assume that one's choices are easy in such a predicament, but these cases aren't always cut and dry! I just feel that Fancy is scared and also brave to reach out for help, so I think that the best thing I can do or anyone can do to help her is to give her support and the best advice to help her and her baby. I HAVE carried two babies, as I said, and have been in a miserable situation with the second one, as I also said! In addition, she obviously is older now during this pregnancy, which doesn't help in her condition at all. As an example, it was moreover so much easier for me to carry a baby in my 20s versus my 30s. And you haven't nor will ever have the opportunity to be in that situation (I would be thankful for that one!...and added bonus for being a male) where you have to make such a choice as Fancy is having to make, with her knowing that her decisions/choices are not easy in any way. I just want to add that SHE IS CRYING for help, and I think it was nice of you to apologize for what you said because she is here to get some support and advice. But you also have to understand that Fancy did not walk out on the streets and ask for a bag of >>>>>>, a much stronger drug, by far, than what she has been prescribed. That is not the same scenario, and it's not fair in any way to compare the two. I do agree with you that her doctor should be aware of the situation, but I am thinking that Fancy is beating herself down enough in her mind and is scared, as I read her post, and she is trying to overcome this problem as best as she can by posting here and on other boards, where she can find some good information and advice. There are also other boards that do specifically deal more with pregnancy and pain that could be more informative to her.

Thank God YOUR wife is not (I am assuming) in serious pain, and I HOPE and PRAY that she NEVER has ANY complications whatsoever. But often times many women aren't put in the most pleasant situations unfortunately, and it can be so difficult, making those months of pregnancy seem like years, and I MEAN years!!!...it can be plain torture! Anyway, I hope you are looking forward to being a father, and I wish the best of luck to you and your new baby! I am hoping you have a beautiful, healthy baby, and congratulations to you, too! [)]

Thanks for the wonderful words Penelope!! I think there is some confussion with "J". I am not "hiding" anything from my Dr. He is the one that gave me the medication. He as well as the pediatrician know exactly what I am taking and why. I am the one being critical of myself.
    I talked with the nurse in my Dr.'s office earlier this week, and she came up with a plan to help me taper off the med this next week. It will be spring break here in Texas and my son and husband will be home to "help" with things around the house. She had a very good point, because she said it would be easier to stop taking the med. when I wasn't having to participate in the activities that aggravate my back condition. It makes sense to me. Obviously the less amount of pain I am in, the less likely I am to need the medication. Needless to say I am getting every thing done this week, so I can simply just take it easy the next 6 weeks till the baby comes. I told the nurse my baby shower is this weekend (shhhh it's a suprise), and she said she wanted me to be comfortable during it. So as you can see, I am lucky to be in a situation with very compassionate medical staff.
    The dr. also had another concern. My blood pressure has been running 140/90, but stable. He discussed with me the fact that pain increases blood pressure, does in everyone, and he doesn't want to see mine go any higher. So there were many factors that determined whether I would take the meds or not.
    Anyway I am babbling I'm afraid. I didn't sleep much at all last night. Had to take my son to the ER. The poor guy had a horrible migraine. I hope it was a one time thing, I can't imagine them starting in one so young.
    Penelope.....again thank you so much for all the kind words of wisdom. I may need your support next week! Keep ya posted!

mommamia is offline New Member

quote:Originally posted by fancy1866

I have been taking hydrocodone for about 6 weeks for severe back pain. I am 30 weeks pregnant and want to taper off so baby is not born addicted. Does anyone know how? After 6 weeks of use would I be physically dependent?

Thank You
    Hi fancy, I hurt my back at work back at work in june 2003, i was due to have surgery in july 2003 but my pre labs indicated i was pregnant so surgery was not an option!! I got to the point where I had hurt SOOO bad that my blood pressure kept going up which put the baby in harm. so i wa stuck, do i take hydrocodone to help the pain and keep my bloodpressure down or what? I was so scared but decided to take the meds and have plenty of bed rest. My daughter was born with VERY LITTLE reaction from withdrawls!! she had a little sudden movements at times and she had hiccups pretty bad on days but with alot of prayer and support we made it through!!! I had rods and screws put in my back this pat september and it has been VERy HARD!!!!
    wE MOTHERS HAVE TO MAKE ALOT OF CHOICES BY HEART. It doesn't mean that you are a bad person you have to decide what to do and brush ones off who just don't understand! I would like to hear how things work out for you! I will keep you in my prayers!!!

GOD BLESS
    Wendy

Wendy,

Thanks for the support, and I am sooo glad your daughter did fine!!
    If you don't mind me asking, how long did you take the med before her birth, and at what dosage?
    I am sure there are worse things then back pain, but I can't imagine. As you know it hurts to sit, walk, lay down, etc. Quality of life sure can be compromised at times, but that maternal instinct to protect the baby is even stronger.

Thanks Again!

Fancy,
    I am So glad your doctor is aware of this! It will help you a lot in the future. In addition, like you said, your blood pressure is important to keep as normal as you can and stopping the pain pills immediately can be detrimental to yours and the baby's health! Don't be scared! You will have a lot of support! You can do it! I know you can! I will be here and you can post anything you need to and I will do my best to support you, okay?

Having your husband to help will be the best help in the world for you to stop taking these pills because you will find yourself so tired as you are trying to stop! Just hang in there and take advantage of the help you have! I am rooting for you and I know you will succeed!

Thanks, mommamia, for sharing your story also. I know it will help Fancy a lot to know that she, too, will have a healthy baby like yours and that she is NOT alone!!!

Wendy,

If you don't mind me asking, how long did you take the med before her birth, and at what dosage?
    I am sure there are worse things then back pain, but I can't imagine. As you know it hurts to sit, walk, lay down, etc. Quality of life sure can be compromised at times, but that maternal instinct to protect the baby is even stronger.

Thanks Again!
    +

Wendy,

Thanks Again!
    Hey Fancy, I am so sorry that i have not been on in a few days but I have had the flu [xx(] Getting better, you know that hangs around a while. To answer your question on how long I was on the meds.....I was placed on them in my first trimester.This is what scared me the most because that is when the baby is going thru the development stages. I was nervous about birth defects along with other worries. See when i hurt my back the last 4 disc at the bottom of my back ruptured. I was unable to sit, stand or be remotely comfortable. So I had to pray and just hoped that i was making the right choice. I have a 14 year old son and that I had when I was 17. I knew that when I got older and married that I would want more kids and at the age now of 32 with an amazing husband I was blessed with the gift from GOD. I am so happy things went like they did because I have had 3 back surgeries since august 2004. They had to put rods and screws in my back and will need additional operations. So i am so glad things happened when they did or I would never be able to have had any more babies in my conditions. Sorry kinda got a little off subject but I have prayed for you because I know first hand how you feel. Fancy I wish you all the blessing for you and your baby.......EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE !! Also, thanks Penelope for joining in, I know Fancy will get through this with a beautiful baby. God Bless both of you!!

quote:Originally posted by mommamia

Wendy,

Thanks Again!
    Hey Fancy, I am so sorry that i have not been on in a few days but I have had the flu [xx(] Getting better, you know that hangs around a while. To answer your question on how long I was on the meds.....I was placed on them in my first trimester.This is what scared me the most because that is when the baby is going thru the development stages. I was nervous about birth defects along with other worries. See when i hurt my back the last 4 disc at the bottom of my back ruptured. I was unable to sit, stand or be remotely comfortable. So I had to pray and just hoped that i was making the right choice. I have a 14 year old son and that I had when I was 17. I knew that when I got older and married that I would want more kids and at the age now of 32 with an amazing husband I was blessed with the gift from GOD. I am so happy things went like they did because I have had 3 back surgeries since august 2004. They had to put rods and screws in my back and will need additional operations. So i am so glad things happened when they did or I would never be able to have had any more babies in my conditions. Sorry kinda got a little off subject but I have prayed for you because I know first hand how you feel. Fancy I wish you all the blessing for you and your baby.......EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE !! Also, thanks Penelope for joining in, I know Fancy will get through this with a beautiful baby. God Bless both of you!!
    Sorry Fancy, you ask about the dosage, I was actually on a sister to hydrocodone called NORCO, the difference is norco is 10mg hydrocodone but only has 325mg of tylenol. I usuaaly took 4-6 a day depending on what kind of day I had. i ment to put that in the previous reply

Mommamia,
    You have been through a lot! And my heart also goes out to you! I just am commenting since I had replied to Fancy's post. I would have been scared like you since the first trimester is the most important when it come to deciding whether or not to take pain pills! I can't believe how much pain you must have been in, especially carrying a baby in addition to everything else! I am very happy that your baby was okay and that you are giving Fancy some hope and satisfaction that everything will be all right! I hope that your pain has subsided some! It's awful to live in pain all the time! Thank goodness that everything turned out the way you wanted with your healthy little girl! I am really glad that you got the opportunity to have another child! I wish you all the best!

Fancy,
    How are you doing? I am praying that all is well and that you are doing fine and you are having so much success!

quote:Originally posted by Penelope

Mommamia,
    You have been through a lot! And my heart also goes out to you! I just am commenting since I had replied to Fancy's post. I would have been scared like you since the first trimester is the most important when it come to deciding whether or not to take pain pills! I can't believe how much pain you must have been in, especially carrying a baby in addition to everything else! I am very happy that your baby was okay and that you are giving Fancy some hope and satisfaction that everything will be all right! I hope that your pain has subsided some! It's awful to live in pain all the time! Thank goodness that everything turned out the way you wanted with your healthy little girl! I am really glad that you got the opportunity to have another child! I wish you all the best!

Fancy,
    How are you doing? I am praying that all is well and that you are doing fine and you are having so much success!
    Hey penelope, still sitting here with this awful flu[xx(]I just can't seem to shake it! Thank you so much for caring, it really helps to talk about these things. You know I am still on heavy meds everyday and the option to stop or cut down is not even around the corner. I will probablt undergo more surgery in a couple of months. I am hopeful though that I can start physical therapy after that and get these pollutents out of my body. I was so particular even about taking over the couter meds before this, but I know you can never take your health for granted! My family is the ONLY thing along with my faith in GOD that get me through on a daily basis. Thanks for you kind words! may fancy will log on soon. TAKE care!! -Wendy

Mommamia,
    I am there with you, except I didn't have the flu. I had an awful stomach virus. There must be something in the air! Maybe in the next couple of days you will feel better because it certainly can't last forever!

I am so sorry that you are going to have to undergo more surgery! I wish I could fix it for you! My child is severly handicapped and now has severe scolosis, but it's hard to tell whether she is in pain or not, though she does cry if she feels really bad, but she is a trooper, I must say. (This is my older daughter, btw.) Anyway, I have been very saddened by this lately. I call her new brace a plastic straight jacket. Although I am in no pain presently, I DO feel the mental pain that my oldest daughter endures every day of her life! It is torture, and I have to suffer mentally for her! It never ends! Each day brings with it a new diagnosis and it's very hard on me! But you hang in there; maybe surgery might help you! You are not dumb and I know you will weigh you options and do what is best for you! Is there a reason why the rods in your back aren't enough? It sounds like so much too me for you to have to go through, and that it "should" help you some with the pain. I KNOW I am faced with the fact that my daughter too may have to have a rod in her back, although it will be a whole different situation. Sadly, she is not even 12 and has severe osteoperosis, in addition to so many other problems! I can certain empathize with you because I live it though my daughter EVERY DAY of my life! I hate to see others hurt! It's not fair. I just pray that you only have to have one more surgery and that a lot of success springs from it! Like you, I thank God for my baby! She has brought me a lot of love and has given me the ability to handle whatever comes my way with my older child, who is also very dear to me!

You are a special person! I will pray for your healing! All my love!

mso217 is offline New Member

Hi Penelope and Fancy,
    First I just want to say Fancy that I empathize with your situation as I am currently in a similar one, and I hope and pray that all goes well with the remainder of your pregnancy and your birth. I also want to say Penelope that I wish you and your daughter all the best and I will pray for her.
    The reason for my post is this. I am currently 37 weeks pregnant and during my first trimester I took a serious fall. Thankfully everything was completely fine with the baby but I was left with severe hip pain. The doctors originally prescribed me tylenol#3 but for some reason they made me violently sick. After many months of trying different pain meds and dealing with severe pain my OBGYN decided to try Vicodin 7.5/700. I have been taking these for several months off and on. My doc never warned me that I could ever possibly suffer withdraw symptoms and even reassured me that my baby would never suffer any himself at or after birth. After extensive research I have become increasingly worried that this could negatively affect my baby at birth. I am not taking a great deal of the pain meds. I honestly limit myself to anywhere from half of a pill to 2 pills a day, which comes out to 3.75mg to 15mg a day, with the higher dose reserved for those rainy days when pain is at its worst. There are days when I take none at all, which does not greatly affect me, but my worry is for the baby. I am very close to my due date and I am not sure if there is adequate time to wean myself and the baby completely off the meds, and my doctors lack of concern worries me also. I understand that I am taking a very low dose and was wondering Penelope if you might have any info or suggestions on how to somewhat quickly stop the meds all together so as the baby is not affected at birth. ANY info would be great and reassuring. It's sad when you trust the advice of strangers more than that of your Dr's but, due to a myriad of other reasons, that is the point that I have reached. Thank you so much in advance for any input and again I wish the both of you all the best.

MSO,

I just wanted to say, honey, I am so sorry about your accident, but I want to tell you to rest assurred that your doctor is right! Your baby will NOT be hurt from 15 mg. a day. First of all, you have to think that the baby is NOT absorbing the full 15 mg. Yes, it might have a few withdrawals, but I do not believe it will be significant in any way! No one knows if her baby is going to be "normal," but your baby will not be hurt from that amount of hydrocodone! You are very near your due date, so I wouldn't go down but ONE or TWO mg every couple of days. If you still are taking a little bit right before you deliver, although the less the better, try to stay as low as you can with NO MAJOR drops in mg. at once because that can send you into labor itself. What you are taking is not that much, from 3.75 to 15 mg. I know it is scary because you are pregnant, but you are not taking a high dose at all! Try to endure as much of the pain as you can and keep your dose mostly at the 3.75 and I don't see how there would be any problem whatsoever relating to the pain medication. I wish you luck. I hope this helps. But you aren't in as bad of a situation as you think. The great news is that horrible fall did not hurt the baby, thank God!

Day
    Day is offline Junior Member

I am 19wks. pregnant and had been taking pain meds. not knowing I was pregnant. I have been told by doctors that methadone is the safest thing to take when pregnant. My baby is growing normally, thank God, and I am under two ob. doctors care. If you're considering suboxone there is a big problem. Suboxone causes you to not to respond to other pain meds., so when you deliver you could be in a world of pain. Another concern with hydrocodone when stopping is the withdraw you feel is much worse-feeling to your baby. Everything you feel you're baby feels. Good luck with everything, I hope you and you're doc. make the best decision for your little one.

--Day

hey penelope, I can't believe the similar situations of ours lives! My 17 year old sister had severe scolosis at the age of three. The docotrs at Wake Forest Medical Center said that if she wouldn't have surgery right away it would have a huge effect on her life. So when she was 6 years old she under went 15 hours of surgery to but these rods in her back. My mom being disabled herself ahd to pull up and take care of her round the clock. Thankfully she did great.I have the most respect for a mother like you !! You sound a lot like my mom and grandmother,they have always been there to help us out. You have to be a woman of GOD to do that. not everyone aould go through your situation! I see what your daughter has o go through and that makes me feel bad for fussing about my situation. I will keep you and your daughter in my prayers. You are a special lady!
    [:I]

lomlbean is offline New Member

I wanted to tell you all how strong I think you are! I have severe back pain, and have been dealing with this chronic pain for over 5 years. My husband and I would like to start a family, but I have been scared to b/c of the opioid meds I am on (duragesic fentanyl patch 50mcg). I don't want to be on the patch when I get pregnant if there's a chance I could hurt my baby. I am hoping that I can decrease my meds or switch to something else. I have been on many meds throughout the years and this helps the best, so I am also afraid to swtich b/c I don't want to be in more pain.

I am wondering how you all have done after giving birth. I think that's the part that worries me the most. It is difficult for me to lift anything over a few pounds. How do you go about caring for a baby (lifing, carrying, feeding her, etc.) when you are in chronic pain?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

30 y.o. with severe back pain

I am going to post a long one...sorry, hope you don't mind! First, it's so great to hear from such wonderful people. It looks like Fancy started a nice thread that is helping so many women! Way to go, Fancy! I hope that ALL of you who are having trials and tribulations in your life succeed with everything you want and deserve!

Mommamia, you are such an angel! You made my day! But you highly overvalue me! It has been SO HARD for me (understanding, coping) that I can't tell you! For YEARS I cried myself to sleep! I am not exaggerating. My oldest daughter was born NORMAL and was brain damaged from vaccines! The doctor KEPT giving them to her after she had severe reactions! I went about went NUTS when the doctors one day told me that she would never be normal! I just wanted to die! What you said to me, made tears come to my eyes! I know I haven't been a person to brag about, as I struggled to face this reality, but you are so sweet to say such nice things. I feel like I have fought with the devil himself over this one! But God has helped me in many ways, though it's been a long path for me and still is. Like I said earlier, my baby pulled me out of a lot of this "hopeless" feeling I had for over 10 years! I can't explain it, but she did. I know that she made me feel so much more confident about life! I bet you helped a lot with your sister, with your mom being disabled. How was that for you?? I KNOW it had to be hard. My baby loves her older sister. She doesn't know why she can't sit up or anything and tries to treat her like she is a baby doll; actually she is like a big baby doll, the precious thing. The baby wants to lie next to her and be "fed" the same way, etc., not understanding "why" she is different. Mommamia, I wish I could tell you that I took this like a soldier and was so perfect, but I wasn't at all! I can say that I have never left her side, nor will I ever, but I have had a very hard time, as I said, and still do, but my coping skills have gotten better, thank goodness. Why do you think I would even be on this board if I had done all the right things? Ha! But you make me feel so special with what you said and that means so much for you to say that! I always was there for my daughter, but I found myself not wanting to face reality. Because of what happened to her, I felt so unworthy of anything in life. But I am getting through that now, and finally I do have some peace in my life, although I do have some bad days!
    Yes, you do have so much to fuss about! You HAVE been through a lot yourself and still have so much to face! You are very brave and I hope you keep that courage and never give up! I would have a hard time facing the pain that you face! I hope the your next surgery can somehow miraculously change your life for the better, as I wrote previously. You deserve that! Thank God you were able to have that last baby in your life! I think you might be more of the angel than I could ever be!

Day, I wanted to say that I hope your treatment goes well also and that everything turns out great for you! I do understand what you mean about being pregnant and on Suboxone; the ONLY thing that I could say would help one be able to take it is you can have an epidural, and that is the main thing, for me, that stopped the pain anyway. I only had one pain shot the entire labor with my second baby! Amazing, BUT it was my second, so labor was a breeze compared to the first, although it was still long! OOPS! I forgot about the first pregnancy...you can't have an epidural until near the end. Yikes, it's been SO LONG, but YES, I WAS IN PAIN! HA! I forget about the contractions! With my second pregnancy it was the weirdest thing. I ONLY had contractions on ONE side of my belly, so I am FORGETTING about the pain before the epidural! Isn't that odd to have contractions like that? And I had hardly any pain overall, compared to the first labor! Geez! It's amazing how I forgot how badly I hurt during labor with the first one when I read your post, and NO, I wouldn't want to be on Subxone for labor pains, although Suboxone is SUPPOSED to be a pain reliever (BUT I don't think it could relieve the pain I had THEN in ANY way)! I would have PASSED out in pain, had I not had something! I can't believe I just forgot about those awful contractions with the first child! (But it was well worth it! )I just don't know anything about Suboxone with it being safe for pregnancy though, but have read where mothers are taking it while pregnant, and hopefully it is safe! I am sure your doctors (being that you have two) will do what is in your best interest. You seem pretty confident with your choice, and I know you will follow what is best for you and your baby because you are ALL in different situations. Fancy and MSO (especially MSO) aren't taking a considerably high dose of hydrocone, thank goodness, so I think that they will be fine with how they are managing and planning. If their doses were a lot higher, I think they might also have to consider other options for the pain, as you have had to do. I was just wondering how high your dose was when you discovered you were pregnant? Just curious. I am sorry that you found out after you were already pregnant!! You are right: the baby will feel withdrawals if the mama does, too. That's a sad thing for a mother to have to face: with it comes all kinds of guilt, and I hate that these new mothers have been in so much physical pain and have had to make such a choice to begin with! When you all hold that little baby of yours in your arms, you will feel so amazingly grateful that God got this baby through all that you endured! You won't want one ounce of pain to come to that baby EVER. I am VERY HAPPY that YOU ARE A STRONG woman to tell your doctors! Not many women would even do what you did, you know? BUT YOU DO HAVE YOUR BABY'S BEST INTEREST IN MIND AND THAT IS OBVIOUS! I too am praying that all goes well for you and the little one! I know there are so many success stories with your situation, too, as I am sure you are aware!

Lastly, Lomlbean, my heart goes out to you, also! I can tell that you want a baby so badly, and am glad you have the opportunity to do what is best, trying to plan ahead! It won't be easy for you either, being that you are in so much pain with your back. But don't ever give up hope! I don't know what the answer for you would be, but I know you can discuss this with your doctor and find a way to make your dream happen. You will have to weigh all your options with this one and chose which path you want, but at least you do have that opportunity to decide how you want to do this! You probably have built up a tolerance also over time, and IF you are able to decrease your dose in the near future, perhaps this may help decrease your tolerance level, eventually (and hopefully) allowing a smaller amount of pain medicine to be just as effective for your pain. Pain medicine can be good, but it also does become less effective when it is used over a long period of time, and that may be why you also have to take so much now, too (although I know you sound like you have a considerable amount of pain). Maybe you could even discuss with your doctor about taking Subutex or Suboxone, which CAN also help with the pain some, although it may be less effective than what you are taking now, and maybe you could take it in combination with a non-narcotic to help your pain. If you could take this for a "short" period of time, it could help wean you off the medicine you are on now (because that WILL be hard to do), while in the interim you could try to find some other types of medicine that will at least suffice for the time period that you will need to become pregnant and to carry a baby! ...this is just a thought for consideration. Yours is definitely a hard call for you to make, and sadly, you are so young to have such back pain! IF your goal is to become opiate free before you get pregnant, although I am no doctor, I would recommend that you be off opiates for at least three months IF that is what you desire to do. A doctor might even suggest more time. But IF that is your goal, as I seem to be reading, I would give your body a few months to adjust to your "new" way of dealing with the pain so that you will feel more confident and also so that you are sure that this is something that you CAN manage. I hope you find some answers and are able to have a baby in the future, despite your chronic back problems! I guess I should not respond too much about your question concerning the back pain "after" having the baby because I am not in back pain as bad as ANY of you, although I do have some, but nothing even comparable to all of you in any way whatsoever. I can live without pain medicine for my back, unlike most of you. But I just wanted to say from my experience, I know that one of the hardest things on my back was carrying the baby in my belly. Even without chronic back pain, carrying a baby can be hard...I NEVER really enjoyed the pregnancy part near the last trimester because I felt like I was carrying 1000 lbs. and looked it, too! Ha! I think that would be hard on your back, but after you have the baby, your back will feel like it just stopped pulling a "full load" of cargo! LOL! So JUST having the baby will be SO much relief to your back to start. As far as caring for the baby, there are so many lifestyle adjustments that YOU can make that can really help you. I am saying this because I have a handicapped daughter, and I HAVE to "accommodate" to make my daily rituals not so taxing on my body, and she is going to turn 12 this year (although she could be a lot bigger than she is but she is getting harder and harder to lift)!!! Anyway, for example, you can do simple things to help your back: instead of stooping and changing the baby on a bed, you can use a HIGH changing table to keep you from bending over so much and you could also use it for dressing the baby, etc.! I would "think" that this would be one of the MOST important adjustments for you to make that would help you with your back and to keep you from stooping so much, which would be something you would want to avoid. The high changing table will help you with so much in the beginning with all sorts of things, from dressing to keeping the baby supplies up higher so that you don't have to reach down! That would take a lot of stress off your back! Also, when you bath the baby, you can put the little baby tub on the counter so that it is higher up and not use the tub! (The baby will be so light in the beginning, at least mine were to me, but the duties are what are the most cumbersome!) Also, when you lift the baby, there are ways you can do so that will minimize the stress on your back (which I am sure you have to do now without caring for a baby), like if you use your legs to bed instead of your back. You can also design the baby's room so that most of the things you need for the baby are in a position that you don't have to stoop or reach so much! In the very beginning the baby's weight should not be as bad of a stress on your back; it's just as it grows, of course, it will get harder, as you know; that's especially when your husband can be/will need to be a big help with helping you carrying the baby and all the other duties that come with motherhood! These are just some ideas...you will think of other things when that day does finally come! Mommamia could probably best answer that question better than ANY of us here since she has been through all of this and already has her baby, but she does have some extreme issues with her back, having had several surgeries and more to come! I know she will jump in and tell you how she manages! Best of luck to you, dear! I know if you want it, you can/will get it, so keep praying and hang in there! You are doing all the right things by planning ahead and you will find the answers hopefully as you go!

Thanks to all of you for the great comments, the wonderful advice, and the sweet support that you've offered to everyone, including to me! Like I said, this has turned out to be a nice, heartwarming, and encouraging thread! I just hate to see so many of you in so much pain! I hope it gets better for you all!

WOW!!!! I am definitely not alone out here am I. After reading all the posts, I know I will have to reply later this evening. Son is on spring break and driving me crazy to do something! Thank you ALL so much for the support!! I have alot to say and will get back to all later!!

hey penelope i just wanted to give you my email address so you can keep in touch, i would love to send you some pictures of Mia ---------Wendy (mommamia7304@yahoo.com) talk to you soon!! God Bless

quote:Originally posted by lomlbean

I wanted to tell you all how strong I think you are! I have severe back pain, and have been dealing with this chronic pain for over 5 years. My husband and I would like to start a family, but I have been scared to b/c of the opioid meds I am on (duragesic fentanyl patch 50mcg). I don't want to be on the patch when I get pregnant if there's a chance I could hurt my baby. I am hoping that I can decrease my meds or switch to something else. I have been on many meds throughout the years and this helps the best, so I am also afraid to swtich b/c I don't want to be in more pain.

I am wondering how you all have done after giving birth. I think that's the part that worries me the most. It is difficult for me to lift anything over a few pounds. How do you go about caring for a baby (lifing, carrying, feeding her, etc.) when you are in chronic pain?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

30 y.o. with severe back pain

Hey lomlbean,WELCOME! You are in good hands here I have gotten some really good advice as well as coming here to vent some days. I as you can see was on pain meds before and during my pregnancy. Like I have been telling penelope, it was the hardest thing I had to do. Not only are you concerned about your health, but you have a little person to be VERY concerned about! I can't tell you how scared I was to take meds. I had to do this or my bloodpressure would go through the roof which is also dangerous for the baby.
    As for after she got here, I have the best husband in the world! He really helped me through all of this plus kept and still does keep the house in working order! My daughter is a daddy's girl because he really was there day and night to help me with anything I needed. I am not going to say it was or is all roses (we have our days) but he tries to be understanding. You know, there were days when I had NO business picking her up or carrying her aroung because her 10-15 lbs. some days felt like 50, lol [^] but you know when you are a mother the Lord gives you strength you didn't know you had. (mentally and physically) My daughter will be 1 on wednesday 03/23/05. she walks around a lot now, so i don't have to lift her as much! But please don't let anything keep you from you and your husband from having a baby! Talk to your doctor to find out the risk and you may do just fine!! I tell you I love my 14 year old son dearly, but my daughter and I have a strong bond because I know that I went through the storm to get her here. I believe in my heart you will be fine. Like I said it is not easy but it is possible! Good Luck and God bless you! Take Care and keep us informed! P.s. my mom is on the same meds you are on, she has had a double hip replacment and degenerative disc dis. and i believe she does good with those patches too

Wendy

WOW!!!! I am definitely not alone out here am I. After reading all the posts, I know I will have to reply later this evening. Son is on spring break and driving me crazy to do something! Thank you ALL so much for the support!! I have alot to say and will get back to all later!!
    Hey Fancy!!! So glad to see you back, Been a lil' worried about you! So i see your son drives you crazy too![}] mine can be a big pain in the rear! (typical of them) How are you feeling these days?? I am so glad you started this thread! You and penelope and the others have really been so helpful! I feel like this was a blessing!! Believe it or not you have really touched some lives on here. Let us know how you are!talk to you soon!-

Wendy

Hi All....sorry I haven't been here in a few days. Had to spend a few hours in the hospitol last Friday, then was on bed rest cept to go back and forth to the docs. My bloodpressure was high and there was protein in my urine so they wanted to make sure I didn't have the onset of Preclampsia. As of today all seems well.
    The nurse in my doc. office is wonderful. She knows my concerns about taking the pain med, and she went above and beyond for me today. She contacted a genetic counslor to help ease my mind. Once again the news is, taking the med will not hurt the baby. No birth defects, etc. There is though still the addition issue with a baby. I am still going to cut down or stop completely in the next week or so.
    Well it's late, I spent much of my time reading the posts, and I must rest. I must say there are some strong, wonderful women here, and my problem doesn't seem so large when I hear the other stories.
    God Bless All
    Happy Easter!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast