Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
hydrocodone use and pregnancy
    hulagirl is offline New Member

I am so relieved to find this forum! I have been in pain management for 4 years due to chronic back pain and Fibromyalgia. I also suffer from panic attacks and depression. I am told this is very common with people who suffer from chronic pain.

I am 42 and tried for 2yrs. to get pregnant (with no luck) before starting medications. I have been taking lexapro for 2 months and feel like a new person! I also am on Norco10/325mg. 6-7 per day. I am two weeks late for my period and have all the symptoms of pregnancy except a negative test result. I have an appt. next week for blood-work. I think if i am pregnant, it's because the Lexapro allowed my body to finally relax! Any way I am quite concerned how these drugs could effect a baby. My husband is also worried about my pain and we are praying for this to be o.k. We would be so happy and blessed if I test positive next week. At the same time I am tortured with guilt of that harm I may have already caused on these meds!

sweetchikk05 is offline Banned

I took pills while pregnant and I was told that if I came off of them the baby could have a siezure or die, when I did try to come off the baby started goint through withdrawl, his heart rate was everywhere and he wouldnt quit moving, I seeked help went into rehab and was put on methadone, they keep you on that so the baby doesnt go through withdrawl, when I gave birth...6 weeks early...he showed signs of withdrawl, they put him on phenobarbital for one month and I breastfed for 2 months so he got his methadone dose through me, and now all is well..

good luck to you, I dont look down on you, I have been there
    Liz ann

byhizgrc is offline New Member

Question Idk

Quote Originally Posted by fancy1866 View Post
    I have been taking hydrocodone for about 6 weeks for severe back pain. I am 30 weeks pregnant and want to taper off so baby is not born addicted. Does anyone know how? After 6 weeks of use would I be physically dependent?

Thank You

IDK, but when u find out, will u let me know? I'm going to the doc today to get a prego test & have been taking it over a year for arthritis, fibromyalgia, & lupus pain. Therefore, since I think I may be pregers, I'm worried about the risk to the baby & if I'll hafta stop AND what the doc will do for my pain during the duration of my pregnancy.

I suspect that u prolly haven't been taking it long enuff & the doc prolly has u on the lowest dose possible. So, u prolly have nothing at all to worry about. How strong is ur dose & how often do u take it?

BTW, I commend u for think more about ur baby's health then ur own pain!! I know it's not ez to do something like that when u have pain bad enuff that it requires narcotics, but our babies are more important, right? KUDOS girl!!

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

I doubt you'll get an answer from this person as the post is 2 years old but I can tell you that a weak opiate like hydrocodone is still harmfull to the baby.Opiates aren't very good for the ailments you have anyway.Ask your doctor about "Lyrica"??!!This drug works amazing for all the things that you mention you suffer from.I know a few people who are off all the painkillers thanks to Lyrica.Good luck at the doctors.....Dave

sweetgirl0016 is offline New Member

Default please answer!

I'm 38 and a half weeks pregnant, and have severe migraines. my doctor prescribed hydrocodone 750/mg/a day twice a day. I only take it once a day and have been taking it for the past 3 weeks. I want to stay off of it but the migraines are still severe. Does anyone know it it would hurt the baby when taken near the delivery date? i'm so scared , but the pain is too much. And will my baby be addicted to it, if so is it a big deal?
    Thank u.
    Last edited by sweetgirl0016; 01-23-2008 at 07:20 AM.

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

I know that the baby can be born opiate addicted.The hospital then weans the baby off the opiates usually with morphine.
    You would likely have to deal with whatever child services are in your area (I'm in Canada and here it's called "Children's Aide Society").So you should discuss this with your doctor and maybe even get ahold of whatever child agency you need to and ask them what you should have ready in case they are called in.
    As far as I know there are no lasting problems when a baby is born addicted to opiates but what happen 20 years later when say the bay (now man\woman) has surgery and is given opiates for pain???I have often wondered about that.
    You sound like a good person and you obviously care about what happens to your baby.So do whatever it takes to get all your questions answered so that come delivery day you don't get any surprises.Good luck......Dave

ymccormack is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by sweetgirl0016 View Post
    I'm 38 and a half weeks pregnant, and have severe migraines. my doctor prescribed hydrocodone 750/mg/a day twice a day. I only take it once a day and have been taking it for the past 3 weeks. I want to stay off of it but the migraines are still severe. Does anyone know it it would hurt the baby when taken near the delivery date? i'm so scared , but the pain is too much. And will my baby be addicted to it, if so is it a big deal?
    Thank u.
    Sweetgirl:

The reason taking painkillers near delivery time is not recommended is because the drug can slow the breathing and delay that first crucial breath the baby takes. But hyrdocodone is very short acting and weak compared to the drugs they administer during labor (they gave me fentanyl - way stronger).

Dave is right (as always)...your biggest concern is that you do not want the baby to become dependent on the hydrocodone. With such small doses for such a short period of time...I wouldn't worry about that either.

You are doing the right thing by taking just the bare minimum you need to help with the migraine. The stress of the migraine isn't good for the baby either - so as long as you keep your use minimal - the baby should be great.

Good Luck and let us know....you can email me anytime.

YM

Ashann is offline New Member

Smile I understand!

I am 18 weeks pregnant with my first! I miscarried this summer and it was extremely hard so this pregnancy was a blessing. I went to my OB with some severe stomach pains which turned out to be appendicitis. I underwent emergency surgery that evening. I was terrified that I was going to lose the baby. Fortunately they say that surgery on pregnant women is becoming more and more prevelant. After surgery, I was on IV morphine for two weeks while in the hospital. After leaving the hospital I have been taking about the same amount of hydrocodone that you are 5 mg pills about 5 times a day. I have researched and researched taking this medication while being pregnant.....it surprises me how little there is out there on the subject. My OB is wonderful and has reassured me that none of this will effect my baby. I am looking to taper down over the next few weeks. Hang in there, I am sure it will all be fine. I am sorry that people can be so judgemental but I just write that off to ignorance about the issue. A friend of mine was on 10 mg. lortabs her entire pregnancy due to chronic back pain she has a very healthy little girl now so I am sure it will all work out fine!

miamiquacks is offline New Member

Default Pain during pregnancy...

Well, my name is Carolina and I am 7 weeks pregnant. I suffered from sciatic nerve inpinchment and lower back pain for about 10 years. Since the end of 2008 the pain got worse, but the only moment of the day that I would take a pain killer was at bed time. When we decided to get pregnant, I stopped taking the pain medication, and about 2 weeks ago the terrible pain came back on the night time... I didn't wanted to take nothing for the pain, until I had a nervous breakdown, ready to start punching peoplo for the lack of sleep caused by the pain... I took 5 mg of hydrocodone and 175 of acetaminophen two nights ago and was the first night that I sleep after 5 days of crazyness... I felt guilty about it, but one of my teachers sayed something to me that is true.. what I am feeling, the baby is feeling it too... so, if I am going insane for lack of sleep and pain, it's going to be a terrible experience... going to see OB/Gyn on tuesday and want to talk about 5 mg a night.. not planning on taking anymore.. only need it on nights, so I'll stick to that... I will post doctor response... Only the ones that feel the pain can actually understand this feeling... let's hope for the best...

Anneleise is offline New Member

Default I'm so glad I found this site!

Hello everybody, my name is Anneleise and am 33 weeks pregnant and have been on norco (hydrocodone 10 mg) since right before conceiving my daughter. I have scoliosis and broke my tailbone in February. Since then my back pain has been getting worse and worse. I was also on tramadol, but I got off that a month ago. Still taking norco, up to four a day i am allowed, but the pain is getting so bad that most days that does not even make it go away. I have been feeling tremendous guilt for taking this during my pregnancy, even though i as well have two doctors and my ob is aware of my meds and dosage. I am scheduled to go to a pain institute in october and I am so excited to try any and all new treatments or medications during and after pregnancy. I totally understand being basically disabled from severe back pain and it is so hard to deal with, let alone all the people who judge and look down on us who HAVE to take pain meds during pregnancy. I unfortunately, since my pain has been excruciating lately, might have to up my dosage in october or even try something stronger. I don't know yet, but when I read all of your guys's experiences and healing, encouraging, supportive messages to each other, i felt a huge weight of guilt lift off of me. God bless you all and I hope I can also keep in touch with all of you. I would love to hear how everything is going and also to keep you updated with my situation. I will also post any new info i get from my experience and doctors.
    Thanks again, you are angels truly!
    Anneleise

doc.rose is offline Advanced Member

Hello Anneleise! Believe me when I say that I am in no way judging you or trying to diminish the amount of pain you are in.....but you are seven weeks away from delivering your baby and if you can just go even three more weeks and only take your current dose of Norco it would be so much better for the baby. I know you are in horrendous pain, but just try and make this one sacrifice for your baby. Maybe your OB can induce you labor at 36 weeks and then change your pain meds to something stronger. It is just a suggestion. I am sure everyday is extremely hard for you, but I beg you to reconsider. I will pray for you and please keep us posted so we know how you are and how your baby is doing!! Take care!!

Default Thank you for your response!

Quote Originally Posted by doc.rose View Post
    Hello Anneleise! Believe me when I say that I am in no way judging you or trying to diminish the amount of pain you are in.....but you are seven weeks away from delivering your baby and if you can just go even three more weeks and only take your current dose of Norco it would be so much better for the baby. I know you are in horrendous pain, but just try and make this one sacrifice for your baby. Maybe your OB can induce you labor at 36 weeks and then change your pain meds to something stronger. It is just a suggestion. I am sure everyday is extremely hard for you, but I beg you to reconsider. I will pray for you and please keep us posted so we know how you are and how your baby is doing!! Take care!!
    doc.rose,
    thanks so much for your advice! I see the pain management doc on oct 8, and i doubt i will be put on something stronger. I agree with you, and good news, i found that being in bed for a day or two significantly helps my pain for the next day afterwards! Thank you for suggesting the inducing labor at 36 weeks, when i see my obgyn next, i will ask her about it. I am so scared my daughter will suffer withdrawals, and that is my first priority. I am going to talk also to the pain management doc about possible alternative treatments that will allow me to get off the norco asap! My obgyn said that at my current dose, there is a fifty fifty chance of Akasha (my beautiful daughter lol) having to be placed in the nicu due to withdrawals. i would be crushed from guilt and sadness if that happens! I want to hold her right away and take her home, not see the poor thing in an intensive care unit when she first enters the world! I am doing my best to balance my well being along with hers. It is difficult physically and emotionally, but i am confident the pain management doc and my ob will work together to find the best solution possible. Akasha has been growing tremendously the past week and is doing wonderful, very active, as usual! I will keep you updated, thanks so much again for listening and responding! What a relief to have someone to talk to even if only occasionally! God bless, will update on progress!
    Anneleise

Hello Anneleise!! I want to applaud you for caring so much about your baby! And for asking questions rather than just taking matters into your own hands!! You said that a few days of bedrest helped your pain. Maybe your doc could put you in the hospital for a few weeks until you deliver. That way you are monitored and at the same time, you can get your pain meds also. Please let us know how you are doing! I am proud of you!! And I think Akasha is a beautiful name!!

Default Doing better

Hello Anneleise!! I want to applaud you for caring so much about your baby! And for asking questions rather than just taking matters into your own hands!! You said that a few days of bedrest helped your pain. Maybe your doc could put you in the hospital for a few weeks until you deliver. That way you are monitored and at the same time, you can get your pain meds also. Please let us know how you are doing! I am proud of you!! And I think Akasha is a beautiful name!!
    doc.rose,
    thank you my fiancee actually picked out that name, can you believe it lol. The last two days, my knee pain and leg pain are virtually gone, and my back pain is manageable without taking my full daily dose of hydrocodone every day. I have taken two weeks off of work and pretty much put myself on bedrest, which has significantly helped. Luckily, we are in a position right now to be able to afford to do that. I have been keeping myself busy with books, music, movies, etc. and i do cleaning every day with breaks as needed, getting our home ready for baby. If anyone out there has severe pain and can afford to stay home and be lazy do it! It's helped me lower my dosage within 3 DAYS! I noticed some flu-like symptoms due to lowering my dosage slightly, but if my pain is manageable when i feel them, i just lie down and read or listen to calming music, or taking a hot bath is really good for those mild withdrawals. I also keep myself well hydrated with filtered water, this also helps those symptoms. I love to drink too much coffee and soda, lol and i noticed i feel the flu-like symptoms alot stronger when i have not drank enough water, also healthy soups help with mild nausea, and are a sufficient substitute for a full meal when nothing sounds good. Well, I am glad to report i am doing even better, and have been able to lower my dosage a little bit. Any little bit helps, I think. Hopefully, i can continue this way and soon-God Willing- be off the norco, at least until after the baby's born and weaned!
    God Bless,
    Anneliese

Quote Originally Posted by Anneleise View Post
    doc.rose,
    thank you my fiancee actually picked out that name, can you believe it lol. The last two days, my knee pain and leg pain are virtually gone, and my back pain is manageable without taking my full daily dose of hydrocodone every day. I have taken two weeks off of work and pretty much put myself on bedrest, which has significantly helped. Luckily, we are in a position right now to be able to afford to do that. I have been keeping myself busy with books, music, movies, etc. and i do cleaning every day with breaks as needed, getting our home ready for baby. If anyone out there has severe pain and can afford to stay home and be lazy do it! It's helped me lower my dosage within 3 DAYS! I noticed some flu-like symptoms due to lowering my dosage slightly, but if my pain is manageable when i feel them, i just lie down and read or listen to calming music, or taking a hot bath is really good for those mild withdrawals. I also keep myself well hydrated with filtered water, this also helps those symptoms. I love to drink too much coffee and soda, lol and i noticed i feel the flu-like symptoms alot stronger when i have not drank enough water, also healthy soups help with mild nausea, and are a sufficient substitute for a full meal when nothing sounds good. Well, I am glad to report i am doing even better, and have been able to lower my dosage a little bit. Any little bit helps, I think. Hopefully, i can continue this way and soon-God Willing- be off the norco, at least until after the baby's born and weaned!
    God Bless,
    Anneliese
    Good job Anneleise!! It's obvious you are a strong person with amazing character!! Keep me posted!! Before you know it, you will be holding your little baby in your arms!!

Default happy update

Good job Anneleise!! It's obvious you are a strong person with amazing character!! Keep me posted!! Before you know it, you will be holding your little baby in your arms!!
    doc.rose.
    good news i have three weeks left until my due date and am almost completely off the norco! i only take one every three days or so when the pain gets unbearable, so my daughter will not go through any withdrawals when she is born! i am so happy for that i am not going to sugar coat and say it is easy, i walk hunched over and i hurt all the time, but i know that in three weeks or less, i will be able to take it if i need it and so i just think of that when the pain is bad, and i imagine holding my healthy baby in my arms! it is so hard sometimes, but the rewards coming outweigh the difficulties so its not so bad.
    i will update next time hopefully i have my baby in my arms finally!
    Anneleise

mommyoboys is offline New Member

Unhappy Just wondering...

I saw this thread trying to make myself feel better about my hydrocodone use during the last 7 weeks... (prescribed!) I feel as though I should have been able to deal with the excrusiating pubic symphasis pain on my own for the benefit of my unborn son! I took 1or 2 5/500 hydrocodones a day to deal with the pain SOMETIMES I got up to 3 or 4 on really bad days! I sometimes would only take tylenol and not take any hydros for 2 to 4 days at a time as well... I completley stopped taking pills about 4 days ago and will NOT take another during this pregnancy( i'm currently 36 weeks and 2 days) and the doctor wants to strip my membranes on monday the 12th( 37 weeks 3 days) I know this doesn't always bring on labor but if it does what are the chances the baby will have withdrawl symptoms... I myself had a few moodswings and restless legs for the first 2 days... but that could be pregnancy related....Anything on the subject would be appriciated!!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123