Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By yezdegerd
How long should you be in W/D before starting Suboxone?
    sadgirl1 is offline Junior Member

Default How long should you be in W/D before starting Suboxone?

If anyone knows how long you need to be in W/D before starting suboxone
    (24 hrs-48 hrs.) please let me know. Also does it matter how much you were taking too? Thanks

submom is offline Member

I need to know what you were taking. Meaning, was it time released? my DOC was norco, i needed to only be without my meds for 7 hours for the chills and anxiety to set in...DONT TAKE IT EARLY you will knock your drugs off your receptors and YOU WILL BE IN HELL.
    I will check back in a few....
    Good luck, ohhh what dose are you starting at with the subs, what is your plan?

Default dosage taken

Thanks for replying, I was taking 240 mg. of Oxy a day and managed to ween down in a 1 week period to 40 or 60 mg. a day. Then as of 4 days ago I stopped all together. Ofcorse as you know all too well the hell I was feeling and ended taking a few Norco to just be able to function as a Mom. I am so disapointed in myself because I just quit taking Norcos earlier this year and was up to 40 10/325 pills a day and had to do a rehab because of it. My two kids are under 3 and it is just unacceptable to be a vegetable they need my care. I dont have any support so I am doing this by myself. I am so scared that I could so easily slip into taking Norco again since I have a huge bottle in my cabinet. I wish my husband was more supportive but he seems so disconnected and has no idea what I am going through. I have an appointment to see a Doc that will put me on Suboxone but that isnt for 7 more days. I am thinking that if I can go 7 more days I wont need to be on sub HOWEVER I am very afraid that waiting 7 days will force me into taking more Norco and I may get hooked again. If I manage to keep the Norco at very low doses over the week should I keep with the plan and get on sub? I am sooooooooooooooooo depressed, ashamed, disappointed, and disgusted with myself over this. I hate feeling helpless it is not the kind of person I am. I am so strong in so many other areas but not here. Any suggestions. Thanks for listening I know you have kids too so you can fully understand where I am coming from.

jenidarlin is offline Junior Member

Hi! I had to get in on this discussion because I too am a mom and I know exactly how you are feeling(well maybe not exactly but I can relate!) As far as having to wait the 7 days before seeing the Sub doc, and then having those norocs there in your house, I think taking a small dose every day would be okay at this point, don't beat yourself up about this because you are on your way to getting help, and the suboxone WILL HELP! I just started it today and it's a MIRACLE! I will write more later, my son is on my lap and won't let me type anymore!! HTH

Jenny

submom is offline Member

This may not be the best advice but i would take the norco, as much as i needed and wanted....then when you start sub in 7 days....flush the rest...if there is any!! lol YOu should be in a state of mild withdrawl. For me it was about 7 hours. I started getting sweaty and cold, the shakes. you know the dril. At that point put 2 mgs under your tongue. then if you still feel bad in 20 minutes, do 2 more and so on till you find your dose. If you can go 7 days without drugs, then dont even start the subs...but...as you said you must take care of your kids so i dont think that is a possibility.
    Keep posting and good luck

wtfkatie is offline Member

Don't be ashamed! Most of us have gone thru it, I know I have. I'm currently on methadone 100mg. Suboxone didn't work for me, It was very light compared to methadone. It only took the edge off withdrawls, where as methadone took all withdrawls away and gave me my life back. Don't take anymore, at least not for the 48-72 hours prior to getting on suboxone.. Which will do you better than cold-turkey quitting which is so hard for most people because wihdrawls are literally hell. Hang in there, Good luck!

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

Wtfkatie is right,none of us have anything to feel ashamed about when it comes to trying to recover from addiction.If it wasn't such a terrible thing to come off then we all wouldn't be here.The fact that we are all here trying is a testement in it's self.So everyone here wether your clean or in the middle of recovery or just thinking about it needs to realize that we have all taken a huge step and that is admitting we have a problem which is no small feat in itself.So we all need to feel good about ourselves because at least we are here and trying.......Dave

submom is offline Member

Right on dave

How you doing today sadgirl?
    Keep us posted. I am sure since you have some norcos we may not hear from you till your sub appointment. And that is a-ok as long as you come back...lol

take care

Default Thanks to all of you

I cant tell you how much even a few words of encouragement mean to me. I feel very alone through all of this but hearing from all of you has given me hope. Thank you

LindsayO is offline New Member

Default I get so sick taking suboxone

I started getting suboxone about a month ago, and i went to the doctor and told him i used 2 hours before my visit and he still gave me a 8mg suboxone tablet. It immediatly threw me into the worst withdrawl i have ever felt in my whole life. I then continued to use because i was afraid of feeling like that again. So i tried once again but i waited 9 1/2 hours after my last use and the same thing happened again so now i am deathly afraid to try again and i have a 4 year old daughter to tend to so i have to figure something out. Could someone tell me what i am doing wrong? Or could i be allergic to them or am i just not waiting long enough to start them? Could you please email me back with a response! Thank You

email: LindsaynLayla@comcast.net

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

If you're abusing short acting opiates like percocets or vicodins (hydrocodone) then you need to wait at least 24 hours.If you're abusing long acting opiates like ms contin,oxycontin ect then you should wait at least 48hrs.
    Buprnorphene has an extremely high affinity to the opiate receptors in your body.Therefor when you take it before the other opiates have cleared then the buprenorphene literally kicks the other opiates off your receptors sending you into precipatated withdrawls.
    So make sure you wait the 24 or 48 hours.Actually the longer you can wait or the worse the withdrawls the better the buprenorphene will take hold and work.
    Once you find the right dose you will feel "normal" and you can get on with your life without being in active addiction.Good luck and don't give up.........Dave

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by LindsayO View Post
    I started getting suboxone about a month ago, and i went to the doctor and told him i used 2 hours before my visit and he still gave me a 8mg suboxone tablet. It immediatly threw me into the worst withdrawl i have ever felt in my whole life. I then continued to use because i was afraid of feeling like that again. So i tried once again but i waited 9 1/2 hours after my last use and the same thing happened again so now i am deathly afraid to try again and i have a 4 year old daughter to tend to so i have to figure something out. Could someone tell me what i am doing wrong? Or could i be allergic to them or am i just not waiting long enough to start them? Could you please email me back with a response! Thank You

email: LindsaynLayla@comcast.net

The doctors who prescribe Buprenorphine properly use what is called a COWS score for their patients to determine if they are ready to begin treatment. COWS stands for clinical opiate withdrawl scale. They check our individual w/d symptoms and score them according to their intensity. As Dave said the more severe the patient's w/d symptoms are the better. If the patient does not have an accumulative score of over 25 minimum on the scale the dr will have the patient wait until the symptoms worsen. In my case the dr had me wait until some time during the third day. I took 6mg, then the dr had me repeat that dose in about an hour and within minutes I was fine. And my symptoms had been BAD. They just disappeared. You have to be in moderate to severe w/d for the buprenorphine to work properly. Good luck.

bev49 is offline Banned

My case was exactly the same as yours, Rob. The doctor had me go 72 hours exactly methadone free. He then gave me 4 mgs. A half hour later another 4 and 20 minutes after that I felt fine. Do not try to get over by going early, before the at least moderate w/ds. You will live to regret that decision.

sisterwin2 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by bev49 View Post
    My case was exactly the same as yours, Rob. The doctor had me go 72 hours exactly methadone free. He then gave me 4 mgs. A half hour later another 4 and 20 minutes after that I felt fine. Do not try to get over by going early, before the at least moderate w/ds. You will live to regret that decision.
    dont get me wrong..... but I am jealous that I didnt get such a MD to care for me. I do love that this fourm is here, it saved my butt.

leadam123 is offline New Member

Default W/D before starting Sub

Depending on what you are taking, your W/D should and needs to be intolerable. I started Sub after about 24-30 hours after my last dose of oxycodone. Hope this helps but go through the W/D, you have to. It is hard, believe me but you will get past it. Just some really bad diarrhea, muscle aches, headaches, then it will pass. Hope I helped a bit
    Quote Originally Posted by sadgirl1 View Post
    If anyone knows how long you need to be in W/D before starting suboxone
    (24 hrs-48 hrs.) please let me know. Also does it matter how much you were taking too? Thanks

jessiel is offline New Member

okay..here is my question...i actually went thru detox about 3 to 4 weeks ago...i began relapsing...only with suboxone. i did opana one time about 3 days ago. and i did a k4 ystrday and one today. i seriously don't feel my body is in physical withdrawels. so would it hurt to go ahead and start my suboxone. no..i don't think i'm seriously addicted right now, however suboxone would be an incredible security blanket. can anyone help me with this question..please???

Quote Originally Posted by jessiel View Post
    okay..here is my question...i actually went thru detox about 3 to 4 weeks ago...i began relapsing...only with suboxone. i did opana one time about 3 days ago. and i did a k4 ystrday and one today. i seriously don't feel my body is in physical withdrawels. so would it hurt to go ahead and start my suboxone. no..i don't think i'm seriously addicted right now, however suboxone would be an incredible security blanket. can anyone help me with this question..please???

Not to be harsh but you need to decide if you want to use subs or the Opana and K4s. What's up with that? Do you want to get clean or use? Do one or the other. You don't mix them. You do that and you'll end up in precipitated w/d when you go back on subs.

Lots of people relapse. But you need to do the induction process properly over again if you do scoring a 26 or higher on the COWS worksheet. Opana is a STRONG drug to mix with subs. That is not the way to be successful. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 05-12-2011 at 08:01 AM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Anonymous Guest

@ Jessiel If your not physically addicted then why are you taking the subs? Taking subs now would just get you addicted to them for no reason or high. If your gonna take opiates for fun stick to the opana and k4s cuz they are some of the most fun lol but when your ready to stop playing with opiates then get some suboxone.

Scarlett4 is offline New Member

Default How long to wait before taking suboxone?

Hi. How long does someone kicking an oxycodone habit (at about 90 to 120mg per day) need to wait before taking the first dose of suboxone? (If oxys are instant release, and the person has only been physically addicted for about two months?)

cferrari87 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett4 View Post
    Hi. How long does someone kicking an oxycodone habit (at about 90 to 120mg per day) need to wait before taking the first dose of suboxone? (If oxys are instant release, and the person has only been physically addicted for about two months?)
    You need to score at least a 26 on the COWS worksheet before beginning on the Suboxone. For me, it was almost a full 24 hours, but everyone is different. Google "COWS worksheet" and you'll find it.

Scarlett4 is offline New Member

Thank you for the quick response!

Here is the COWS worksheet ......

http://www.drugs.com/resources/opioi...wal-record.pdf
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

yezdegerd is offline Senior Member

Please for the love of god listen to me as I'm praying you come back to these forums first, DO NOT TAKE SUBOXONE FOR A 2 MONTH HABIT! I cannot stress that enough. Your moron doctor will probably give you some stupid high amount like 16mg and you'll end up shooting >>>>>> just to get off the subs. I don't know who told you what but you need to take a few days off work and suck it up before you ruin your life.
    Robert_325 likes this.

Scarlett ..... You hadn't posted much info about yourself, using history, etc prior to me posting the COWS worksheet link above. But if you've only used for a couple months you don't need to get started on Subs now. I agree with YEZ. You will create more of an addiction with the subs than you already have. Subs are an opiate, a form of "opiate replacement therapy" for people that are currently in addiction. You would never even reach a 26 on the COWS worksheet with a two month using history. Try to get to a 26 on the COWS worksheet if you doubt what I'm telling you. It will never happen. You can be totally clean in a matter of a week or so using nothing. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 06-10-2011 at 12:13 PM.

CamoToy is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jessiel View Post
    Please stay away from the Opana! I just went through total Hell getting off of it. Listen to the senior members on here. get clean! Its the only way in my opinion. Cut ties with anyone who could give you access to that ????. YES, it is ????!!

Kidon9 is offline New Member

Default Suboxone was a Godsend

I was taking 10 norcos a day plus soma with each norco for almost 7 yrs. I woke up on a Monday morning and said enough, I'm getting nothing but grief from these and I'm quitting today. I waited until I was crawling out of my skin, diarrhea, hot and cold flashs which took about 10 hrs. A friend gave me one 8 mg suboxone and I quartered it into 2 mg doses (approx.) They are not scored to break in half so do your best. I was in major w/d and took 2 mg. and within 15 min. or so, my withdrawal symptoms disappeared completely. I felt absolutely normal. After about two and a half days, I started getting a little edgy feeling of withdrawal coming on again and waited for about 8 hrs and took another 2 mg sub and after 5 days was completely clean and had no desire to use since. At night if I had trouble sleeping during this process, I would take a 10 mg valium and it took any restlessness away. It is a miracle drug and if used properly, you should be able to kick. I am fortunate that I was only physically addicted and not mentally addicted. I just put up with the back pain now. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Kidon9; 03-04-2012 at 09:11 AM.