How long does the insomnia last?
    Chris J. is offline Junior Member

Default How long does the insomnia last?

I am on day ten or eleven of a 2000mg a day codeine addiction withdrawal, pretty much all of the symptoms have gone execpt intermittent diarea and constant insomnia, I know it sounds like b.s. but I have had only about two 15 minute sleeps in the past ten days, I lay awake staring at the ceiling all night and am feeling very burnt out and exhausted I thought I would be over it by now. Anyone else have it last this long, how many more sleepless nights can I expect? I am going to lose my job if it continues much longer, thnks Chris

ymccormack is offline Member

I'm sorry you have the insomnia so bad. I'm sure you have probably tried over the counters but consider generic benedryl....it's cheaper than tylenol PM with the same sleep ingredient. I take 2 anytime I can't fall asleep by midnight.

if this isn't effective, you may have to seek out a presciption sleep aid - but I've never found one that didn't have more side effects than lack of sleep itself.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Maybe someone else will have a better sugestion.

vduda is offline Member

Hey Chris,

I suffered from chronic insomnia from the time I can remember. The only thing that ever really worked for me was benzodiazepines. I have been prescribed one form of benzo or another for the past 20 yrs for an Anxiety Disorder. But at times I would get off the meds and the insomnia was crippling. I went through Detox 8 months ago for a decade of hard core opiate addiction. Also went cold turkey off of a 40 to 50 mg a day use of Xanax. I did not sleep for 8 days...literally did not sleep at all. I thought I was going to loose my mind. Finally, I caved in and took Ambien which is a hypnotic. It worked, but there were serious side effects. On the 4th night of taking Ambien my mother who was helping me through detox found me wondering the neighborhood in my boxers at 2 in the morning. I don't remember any of it. Plus the next day you feel horrible and it made my tongue swell. After 4 and a half months of being off the benzos I did not sleep for more than 1 hour a night. I really thought I was going to die from sleep deprivation. Moreover, I was still going through major withdrawals: Nausea, seizures, cramping, diarhhea, "electric shock syndrome" and more. My doctor placed me on a medicinal dose of diazepam and in a couple of days most of my withdrawals subsided. And guess what...I slept like a baby. Now I am under a Psychiatrist care and he presribes a low dose of diazepam which treats my Anxiety Disorder and all the other aforemetioned symptoms. No more seizures, diarhhea, stomach cramping, nausea and best of all insomnia. Lack of sleep can kill you. That is a fact; you can die from sleep deprivation. For me it was a quality of life issue. Its been 8 months since I been clean from opiates and 3 and a half months since I have been taking diazepam. I don't crave it or get high off of it. No hangovers in the morning. It is long lasting so you don't even feel it coming on.

Natural options is L-Tryptophan (an amino acid). This works well. Valarian Tea or Camamile Tea also helps. But for me diazepam was a life saver. God Bless

VJ

cagirl is offline Member

Hi Chris...First I want to say Congratulations!! Sorry to hear of your insomnia Ive never had that problem but...Just a week ago I went to a health food store and bought a bottle of Holy Basil its all natural and good for stress and many others things well It made me soooo tired I had to stop taking it...Im aware that It dosent have the same effect on everyone but It may be worth the try...Anyways just thought >> share that Good Luck!!

Thanks for the advice, i have managed to get my hands on a couple lorazipam i think they are called, cousin gave me two of them so hopefully I will sleep tonight, thnks again..Chris

chalumni is offline New Member

Default mine lasted 10 straight days

My insomnia lasted 10 full days, literally no sleep except maybe one-half hour one or two times. I read 12 novels. Those 10 days were after the physical withdrawal symptoms. I was detoxing from 30 years of opiate and benzo addiction. For sleep now I use Seroquel prescribed by my MD even though I don't carry a diagnosis for it. You will sleep for 12 hours straight. I mention it because it is not a drug of abuse and believe me I have abused them all, but not this.

I know someone who did not sleep for 17 days, that sounds suspicious because eventually your body will force you to sleep even for short periods of time.

Benadryl or Tylenol PM make my heart pound and I react just the opposite to it. There is melatonin which they gave us in rehab (but I also got my Seroquel) which is something your body produces naturally. It actually helps a little for a few hours at a time. Might try that.

Take care and let us know.

vduda is offline Member

chalumni,

Don't you hate the side effects from seroquel. It is an antipsychotic and they gave all of us doses of this med in Detox. It turned everyone into zombies, but it didn't help me sleep one minute. It just seems the side effects from seroquel out weighs any benefits. At least for me.

VJ

IcameIdidIconquered is offline Junior Member

Chris J- Im on day 17 of my opiate detox and slept for 4 hours strait last night! The 1st time ive slept that long in forever. Ive tried every herbal stress and sleep remedy known to man here lately and to be honest havent been that impressed. I finally gave up caffeine completely that with Tylenol PM and sleepy time herbal Tea has worked best for me, that or my body has finally surrendered :P Just dont give up i thought i would never sleep again and was loosing my mind, but like i said im on day 17 and just now slept so it will happen, just takes a while. Good Luck and God Bless

Chris:

The side-effects from Seroquel can be really, really hard to tolerate until you get used to it. Not recommending it for you, just what works for me.

Take care.

vduda

Yes, Seroquel has a lot of side-effects until you get used to them. I am taking 300 mg at night. Was started on 300 at night at 150 in the morning and then my psychiatrist put me on Provigil (amphetamine) to wake me up from the effects, crazy huh? Stopped the Provigil because I have abused amphetamines in the past also, but stayed on the Seroquel for sleep. It took a while to get used to it, and yes, sometimes it does not work. Don't recommend it for everyone. When I take it at night I have to be sure I am going to be pretty close to where I am going to sleep for the night within 30 minutes and can't eat after taking it because sometimes it is hard to swallow. Side-effects don't outweigh the benefits for me but it does for a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by IcameIdidIconquered View Post
    Chris J- Im on day 17 of my opiate detox and slept for 4 hours strait last night! The 1st time ive slept that long in forever. Ive tried every herbal stress and sleep remedy known to man here lately and to be honest havent been that impressed. I finally gave up caffeine completely that with Tylenol PM and sleepy time herbal Tea has worked best for me, that or my body has finally surrendered :P Just dont give up i thought i would never sleep again and was loosing my mind, but like i said im on day 17 and just now slept so it will happen, just takes a while. Good Luck and God Bless
    Thanks to everyone for the advice, it worked. I took one lorazepam at 6 pm last night, didnt seem to do anything so I tok the second one at 8pm, I dont recall 9pm so it must have K.O.ed me, I slept non stop till 7am this morning and I must say I feel like a new person, sleep is what I needed, I feel like I have my energy back, thanks to all for your advice and support, it has helped me more than I can say. To those suffering through this same thing, hang in there, the light at the end of this tunnel is worth the pain of crawling through it, the closer you get to the two week clean the improvements will start to come quickly and you will feel its all been worth it, today is the day I can say "I made it through, its almost over".

vduda is offline Member

Chris,

Glad to hear your feeling better. Sleep is so important. Just becareful with the benzos. It is a quality of life issue. I understand. God Bless

VJ

Quote Originally Posted by vduda View Post
    Chris,

Glad to hear your feeling better. Sleep is so important. Just becareful with the benzos. It is a quality of life issue. I understand. God Bless

VJ
    Thanks but no need for concern, I was only given two of them and they are gone, I am not planning to ask for any more, the one night's sleep is enough I can continue the grind...Chris

vduda is offline Member

Sounds good Chris. Try the L-Tryptophan it really does work. It's definitely worth a shot. God Bless

VJ

IcameIdidIconquered is offline Junior Member

Chris - Congrats on your sobriety and sleep :P Keep your head up and everything will come in time- sounds like u are over the worst so its only up hill from here- just NEVER FORGET what u went thru!! Im sure none of us would have ever taken the freakin pills if we knew we would have to defy death in order to regain our lives.....Good luck and God Bless keep everyone posted on how youre doing-

zJH77 is offline New Member

Default HEy

Hey well let me tell you that I was addicted to opiets for about 3-4 years and was taking about 30 lortabs a day. I started taking the suboxon treatment last saterday ,I couldnt believe how much better I felt intill I tried to go to sleep!! that was a big problem I didnt get no sleep for about 4 days only about 1hr at a time i really was up every hour on the hour. so I went to my doctor and he gave me klonopin for my anxiety and effexor for depresion if i need it. so I took the klonopin and I finally slep like a baby the hole night it was great.... hope that helps talk to your doctor!!!