Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sisterwin2
How to get off Suboxone
    salaula is offline New Member

Default How to get off Suboxone

I have been on suboxone for almost 3 years. I happen to have one of the best addictionologists in the country. I was taking suboxone for TMJ related pain. It never really helped me that much for the pain so I decided to start the suboxone detox. That is exactly what it is, a detox process and you will be effected by it.

Since I was on the drug for three years I had horrible symptoms of anxiety and depression, which are the main issues with suboxone detox. I was taking 24mg a day at one point and got down to 16mg a day. I then went slow like every 2 weeks down a mg and then sometimes I would drop a couple mg.

I always felt the drops and experienced extreme anxiety and depression. To make a long story short, I got down to 1.5mg a day. At about 6mg and below I was unable to work and took a med leave from work for 3months to finish the detox. It was a battle to get to 1.5mg a day and I went to see my Dr at that point. I should have seen him much earlier than that to get nuerontin which may have kept me working, that is how effective it is for suboxone detox symptoms.

He prescribed the following which should be a standard practice if you have a good Dr.

Klonipin= (for anxiety) 14pills at 1mg, Take twice a day for 7days then return to office. You should have the option of continuing the klonopin for 7 more days if you need it and then you should be weened off the klonopin slowly. Klonipin is only for when you are ready to completely stop suboxone and should not be taken while on the med.

Neurontin = this med is an absolute must and actually should be used during the taper process. You must get this med it will save your life. It should be the 800mg tabs to take up to 4 times a day. It is for the anxiety

Trazadone= For sleep during taper process and when jumping off completely

With these meds and motivation you should be able to get off the suboxone. It will still be hard, but it wont be that nightmare that everyone is talking about, it will become totallly doable. If your Dr. wont prescribe klonipin (bad Dr) then the nuerontin will still help alot you will just be more uncomfortable and have less of a chance of an easy going detox.

If you tolerate anti depressants, SSRI's you should be put on one of those. I cant take them they make me nuts. The trazadone is an anti depresant but not an SSRI and is mostly used for sleep but does kind of have an anti depressant kick to it that helps a little with the mood.

If you are worried about getting addicted to klonipin, don't be. If weened off properly at the end of the 7 to 14 days you will feel nothing from it as long as you stay on nuerontin during the process, then you slowly stop nuerontin which is no problem getting off of, you wont even feel that at all.

Trust me all this stuff working together (especially nuerontin + Klonipin) You should make it off o.k., without these meds, if you have been on suboxone for years and years, you would have to be superman to handle the anxiety alone, not to mention severe depression. Even short term suboxone use should be handled like this.

While on nuerontin you should be able to get down to taking about .5mg or half of a half of the 2mg pills a day. Try to be on that for about 7 days and then stop, once you finally stop that first day start the klonipin, after 7 days go back to the Dr. ( make sure it is on the 7th day when you still have klonipin left) he will ask if you need to continue klonipin or keep it up 7 more days. It should be up to you and how you feel. If you say your ready he will ween you off kloinipin if you say you are not he will give you 7 more days and then ween you off.

The hardcore suboxone symptoms should not last more than 2 weeks, You should be treated with meds for the PAWS you will go through or Post Acute Withdrawl Syndrome. Any doc who just leaves you high and dry to get off suboxone with the suboxone alone and no other medicine is a very bad Dr. and you should find a better one who knows what they are doing.

Make sure you ask the Dr. if they use klonipin and Nuerontin when dealing with suboxone. The klonipin for when you are completely off the suboxone and the nuerontin for both the taper process and when completely off the suboxone. If they say no, find another Dr. Remember you must ween off klonipin, some Dr's don't know this so you must remind them and push for that at the end.

Don't forget to mention trazadone for sleep. 150mg at night start with half of the 150mg and only take the whole thing if the half does not work. Wait at least 5 days on half of the 150 to get used to it if you want to take the whole thing.

Good luck any questions feel free to ask, if I can do it, you can do it.
    Last edited by salaula; 07-30-2008 at 08:31 AM.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Glad you were able to find some things that helped you with your detox. We also mention klonopin if it's necessary. I can see how nuerontin or lyrica either one could help some too if we have been using for very long.

After being on suboxone for so long I would have suggested that you titrate down to less than .5mg. I would have suggested you go to as small a piece as you could get to. But whatever worked for you is fine. Trazodone has been used for sleep in opiate detox for a long time.

I also had a very professional dr. Makes a lot of difference. Sorry to say that there are some drs who treat suboxone patients that don't seem to overly concerned about what is best for us. It's a money gig for them. So we will just have to deal with that until those drs are weeded out with good drs. This treatment process needs to become better known and that will happen I think.

Talking suboxone

yes I agree. I think it is important that neurontin is used. It actually keeps you from having to detox to such a low amount of suboxone. The reason is that it, combined with klonipin, really takes care of the worst symptoms of withdrawl. That means, that tapering down to 1mg should be sufficient. Although, if you do taper down to .5mg or .25mg it would be even easier. All I am saying is that it is very much do able at 1mg a day, as long as you have Trazadone, Nuerontin at a high dosage (not lyrica, which is a newer form of neurontin mostly used for nerve pain) and klonipin 2mg a day for 7-14days.

Anyone who wants off suboxone should get these meds. That was the main point of my post, that without these drugs it is very very hard to get off suboxone. I just want everyone to know that, that is why I posted this. This is the direction of the medical field in terms of suboxone detox. Actaully all these meds are used in detox hospitals for opiate detox, the problem was and still is that Dr.'s don't look at suboxone as a "real" opiate. That is starting to change and Dr.'s (the good ones) are starting to use in-patient detox methods in an out-patient setting, in order to help people taking suboxone to get off. Using suboxone alone in the process is ridiculous, and should never be done.

I am mostly refering to patients on the med for years. I think that when taken for shorter periods of time it may be able to be done, but why take the risk. My opinion is that no matter how long you have been on suboxone. The meds I listed above should be used to avoid realpse and getting stuck on suboxone for life.

I realize that people have gotten off suboxone without the use of the meds I listed. My point is that if at all possible, getting off suboxone without the help of medicine should be avoided. I am by no means saying that it is not possible to do. I am saying that it makes very little sense to do it. Just ask your Dr. for those meds, and pray he gives them to you.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    After being on suboxone for so long I would have suggested that you titrate down to less than .5mg. I would have suggested you go to as small a piece as you could get to. But whatever worked for you is fine. Trazodone has been used for sleep in opiate detox for a long time.

The thing is, is that I could not get down to .5mg or to 1mg (where I jumped off) for that matter, without the help of nuerontin. I was having anxiety problems starting at 6mg a day and lower. Nuerontin was the only med that made is possible for me to get down to 1mg a day without as many symptoms.

I have heard the "just get down to .25mg a day" advice before. The problem for a lot of people is that, some of the major symptoms start at around 2mg and less and in some cases the taper becomes impossible due to anxiety attacks and depression.

That is where Nuerontin comes in. It allows a person to taper much more easily and takes the anxiety symptom to a tolerable level. On Nuerontin, a patient can do a 1 mg every 7 days taper or .5mg every 7days taper without having much problem, off of Nuerontin you would have to go much slower, but even a slow taper does not garauntee the avoidance of severe symptoms. Neurontin does in a lot of patients. trsut me Nuerontin is going to be huge in getting people off of suboxone. Remember I said it. *lol

(please excuse all spelling errors I jsut don't check for typing errors when in forums)

sisterwin2 is offline Senior Member

Default oh boy...

Rob... you know this really upsets me to read and I know I should not be reading it but its done.
    This is week three and one day. I am now on 12mg and doing well. I am planning to go to 8mg tomorrow. I know I can take a sliver extra the next day if needed. It seems when I drop it really takes about 24 hours before I start to "feel" the difference. I am going to stop calling it wd because it may not be. The Sweats are still there though not as bad as it was at 40mg. I still get chills here and there, but daily. No cravings but noticed that I do think about it at times. I just need your input and support here. Remember that I was doing about 60-70mg of methadone and oxy's. Prob. about 40-60mg daily and maybe a few ir's if they were avail. This was pretty consistant for about 2 yrs.. prior to that just oxy's and a hit of H here and there since 2004, clean prior to that. Just a quick hx.

I know I should not have read this and have been staying away from any negatives about suboxone.. exp if they post "weaning from sub". I am trying to do what I am told. Can you inject some of your so warming, competent and loving advice here.
    I do not want to go thru what the previous writer has gone thru. I want to get off the sub as soon as I am safe. I know Sholomda said its been a few yrs., but I am a true addict and I can see myself getting very comfortable. I had to start Predisone three days ago due to double vision (ms) but on a quick wean, will be 9 days total if all goes well. If not... well, not there yet so lets not go there.
    ty in advance.. you are wonderful
    Sister

Default wait... I am find

wait a min..... its only been three weeks and I am weaning just find and without much effort. So..excuse my little fit there. I just heard wd and panic I guess. I am going pretty close to how u did it except for the wrong start. I am doing just find.
    OOPS,
    sister

cdiddy is offline New Member

Default My experience with weining off of Suboxone....

I have read all of the previous posts and I am completely confused with what any of you are talking about. I have been on Suboxone for close to 4 years and have worked my way down to 2mg a day from a starting point of 24mg. I cannot seem to get off of this medication due to the withdrawal symptoms, none of which have anything to do with anxiety or depression. I have the same symptoms I have from my original addiction. In essence, if I do not take a dosage (currently 1mg) every 12 hours, I start getting "dope sick". I am confident that I can get down to 1/2mg every twelve hours but the problem I am having is that I cannot come completely off or I will begin to get first and foremost, SEVERE bone pain, runny nose, eyes, get nausious, diarreah, which were all of the symptoms that I was trying to avoid in the first place......am I the only one dealing with this??? I could deal with the anxiety and depression and almost any of the other things I listed if I had to.....it's the SEVERE bone pain that keeps me from coming off it completely.....can anyone provide any assistance??

Quote Originally Posted by cdiddy View Post
    I have read all of the previous posts and I am completely confused with what any of you are talking about. I have been on Suboxone for close to 4 years and have worked my way down to 2mg a day from a starting point of 24mg. I cannot seem to get off of this medication due to the withdrawal symptoms, none of which have anything to do with anxiety or depression. I have the same symptoms I have from my original addiction. In essence, if I do not take a dosage (currently 1mg) every 12 hours, I start getting "dope sick". I am confident that I can get down to 1/2mg every twelve hours but the problem I am having is that I cannot come completely off or I will begin to get first and foremost, SEVERE bone pain, runny nose, eyes, get nausious, diarreah, which were all of the symptoms that I was trying to avoid in the first place......am I the only one dealing with this??? I could deal with the anxiety and depression and almost any of the other things I listed if I had to.....it's the SEVERE bone pain that keeps me from coming off it completely.....can anyone provide any assistance??

Hell no your not the only one.........it is not easy esp after four yrs. I would suggest Imodium at double doses, clonidine but be carefull of bp. warm baths.. it is a opiate and the symptoms will be just like them but hopefully not as intense. Motrin for the pain and I suggest you take it every 8 hours for the time needed.

There is really no way around it but thru it. excerise will help in the long run also.
    I was over the worse of the symptom within a month, but beware sub is a strange drug and you can have 4 good days in a row then bam... back to day 7 again.

Hang in there... the longer your on it the harder the detox. At four yrs.... just take it very slow... like maybe .25 every month ... what another few months after 4 yrs.

Good luck,
    Sister
    Last edited by ddcmod; 10-03-2011 at 02:16 AM.
    DGren likes this.