how exactly does methadone work...?
    kaileyb is offline Member

Default how exactly does methadone work...?

if you take painkillers (lortabs, oxy's, etc), and you experience withdrawals, if u start taking methadone, does it eliminate the withdrawals? i mean i know u can get addicted to methadone, i'm saying that if u take the methadone during the period u normally would be withdrawing, do u skip the withdrawals or are u just prolonging them? (the withdrawals from the lortabs, NOT the methadone)

Cats Meow is offline Diamond Member

You won't go into W/D's if you take methadone, once you quit methadone (which is the most addictive drug ever made, and few can ever quit it voluntarily) it's W/D's are far, far worse. So yes, taking methadone or Buprenorphine will only prolong W/D's until you quit any and all opioids completely.

Dave87666 is offline Member

All that I can add is go on suboxone instead...

Thumbs down

thanks for your replies!

... in all my struggles with pills, i have never had an issue with methadone. it was always lortabs, oxys, etc...

one problem with the suboxone... i don't have the money. i have piles of medical bills from my back issues and i just don't have the dough. i have thought about rehab several times, but i really don't think i could tell my family. they would be DEVASTATED. i quit cold turkey last year from lortab 10's (and high doses at that) and was clean for several months. the withdrawal was the worst thing i'd ever experienced in my life. now, there is a new factor, my back pain. i have been taking significantly less lortabs than this time last year, but now oxy's are becoming part of the issue (i just did one about an hour ago, and am sitting here nodding out, eyes half closed. pathetic, i know.) i really need to just quit cold turkey again, i have a week off of work anyway, but the thought of just living with my back pain is really scary.

I DON'T KNOW. i don't know what to do. i guess i will take my last methadone, 5mg tomorrow, 5mg sunday, and just stop. but i know once i'm clean for a few months i will convince myself "hey, i'm good, if i just do a few and catch a buzz, i won't have any withdrawals and i will control myself."

i'm sorry i keep posting about this.... well actually i'm not really. i can't talk to anyone i know because they will freak out, and i feel really comfortable talking to you all here. thanks for your time, all posts are GREATLY appreciated.

Default ha...ha...

watching family guy, just overheard something "amusing"...

brian: "peter, smoking crack is not the way to quit drinking!"

ironic, huh?

Anonymous Guest

Arrow Hey...

Im am sorry you are going through all of this. What I wanted to ask you is do you need the pills for pain relief? B/C if you do then don't feel bad about taking them. Are you taking the amount you are suppoosed too or more b/c they are not working as well? I guess what I am trying to get at is if you need them...you need them.
    Is the reason you wanna quit b/c you use to be addicted to them? Sorry if I am asking so many questions I am just trying to get a better picture on your situation.

BTW...you are not pathetic! Not in anyway so don't say things like that about yourself. Also don't be sorry for posting your question...this is a support group and we are here to help in anyway we can. Take care

Krissy

email me anytime: krissybaby81@gmail.com

i do need them for my back... but i tend to over do it. i am scared of becoming the way i was before... withdrawal is a son of a *************************! they gave me ultram, and they didn't do anything to me... i read u had a problem with them, how did that go for u? how did they make u feel?

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

If you have chronic back pain and there is nothing more they can do for your back then I would suggest you get on methadone for good.Taking loratabs is really a waste of time as they are to weak and you end up taking handfuls at a time.You're obviously having trouble with these fast acting opiates and I know how it is.I dealt with this for 23 years before I got on methadone 5 years ago.I was taking 3,000 mgs of morphine everyday and it wasn't helping with my pain.Methadone is an exellent pain killer and extremely ptent.It is long acting and you don't get that euphoric buzz that you get the first couple years of abuse.I couldn't get a buzz off anything after my first 5 years of abuse.
    So your best bet is to see if your doctor will prescribe you methadone for pain.If he won't then you can go to a methadone clinic and tell them you're an addict from chronic pain but don't tell them you're there for pain killing purposes.
    One of the great things about methadone is once your on a stable dose, you may need to raise it 5-10 mgs maybe every 3-4 years.I know pain patients that have been on methadone over 20 years and have gone up 15 mgs the whole time they've been on it.It is very hard to build a tolerance to methadone like we do with say percocet.Anyway, good luck and let us know how you make out.....Dave

Anonymous Guest

Lightbulb wish I knew more......

Quote Originally Posted by kaileyb View Post
    i do need them for my back... but i tend to over do it. i am scared of becoming the way i was before... withdrawal is a son of a *************************! they gave me ultram, and they didn't do anything to me... i read u had a problem with them, how did that go for u? how did they make u feel?
    Ultram is kinda weird. The withdrawl from that feels simlialr to lortab but it also has other factors to it. You feel more dizzy and have more depression. Also I have had this noise in my head when i roll my eyes. It sounds like a "whoosh whoosh" I have heard this before but not with Ultram it was acually with antidepressents. I don't know if they are related or what.Maybe Cats Meow can chime in and give us more info

As far as pain relief goes fro me it worked well but others have had no success with it. It seems to be 50/50. Oh and another thing about this drug that I found interesting: PPl who take hydros,oxys etc don't really have terrible W/D's if they take them as directed and then stop. If any really I have only heard of W/D happening in Ppl who take more than prescribed. But with Ultram I knew someone who NEVER took more than he was supposed to and when he went off them he cut his dose down a little at a time over a period of 6 weeks and still had W/D anyways. He was pretty miserable for like a week.

Thats why I don't understand why they say this stuff is not addicting. It seems to be more addicting than some of the weaker opiates. Im glad you say that they don't work for you b/c you do not want to go through what me and others have gone through.

Krissy

Ultram is kinda weird. The withdrawal from that feels similar to lortab but it also has other factors to it. You feel more dizzy and have more depression. Also I have had this noise in my head when i roll my eyes. It sounds like a "whoosh whoosh" I have heard this before but not with Ultram it was acually with antidepressents. I don't know if they are related or what.Maybe Cats Meow can chime in and give us more info
    krissybaby, that just sounds like vertigo, the rolling of the eyes makes you dizzy, causing a loss of equilibrium in your inner ear, it may be the fluids in the vestibule of the inner ear swooshing around you hear or sense, maybe a little hypotension factors in as well, all attributed to the drugs side effects.

If you have chronic back pain and there is nothing more they can do for your back then I would suggest you get on methadone for good.Taking loratabs is really a waste of time....
    Mpvt I know is a strong advocate for methadone for the chronic pain patient and narc addicts, but OP (kaileyb) you don't sound like a good candidate for methadone at this time, I don't think Dave was speaking directly to you per say (I hope not), your pain sounds quite manageable by less potent opioids, if any at all, since you state "you tend to over do it" or your fear of W/D's. Methadone should be considered only as the last course of action for chronic pain and addiction, and only used for pain after you run the course of traditional opiate therapy (IMHO). Used as directed hydrocodone, oxy, etc. is quite effective over time for analgesia, one should never jump from hydro to m'done. Opioids will make your pain more intense, you will find your pain level drop once you cease using pain meds, don't use pain as a crutch to stay on the pills, you won't know your true pain level until stop and evaluate your condition. You really sound like you have more addiction issues then pain issues, and you should know it's treatable without drugs, and you'll be so much better off in the long run.
    Cats
    Last edited by Cats Meow; 07-07-2007 at 07:38 PM.

catsmeow, i do have addiction problems, i've done just about every drug out there, and i drink almost everyday. i never really saw it as a big deal but now as time is going by i'm like... what am i doing? i have run out of stuff for my back and such and it really hurts. i have 5mg left of methadone and then i'm out of everything, and i really am not looking forward to that. if my back didn't hurt it would be easier for me to say goodbye to pills for good, but...

about the methadone; it does work well for me as far as my back pain. 5-10mg a day keeps my back pain away all day, as opposed to lortab 5s (or even 7.5s or 10s) where i continuously have to take them. and not to mention my liver, i don't need all that tylenol.

i guess i should really just sit down and talk to my doc... but i'm afraid if i tell him about my pill problems, he wont give me anything at all.

krissy........... i have never heard of that feeling before (the one u experience from ultram). i can see why u wouldn't want to talk them

You know the answer is not more meds, the answer is to stop, and the drinking too. Don't fool yourself that you're not strong enough, or the pains too bad, just give up and quit, you owe it to yourself to try that first, don't act like you're helpless and a slave to your addictions, just be tough, don't put it off any longer. The cure is to stop, not a magic pill, all pain will diminish, you can be a whole new person in a couple weeks, it'll all be worth it. I know it's hard, oh well. Life will be better, I promise.

MrGallavant is offline New Member

Yep Yep. Methadone from hydrocodone. aka lortab, vicodan ect I even use to do hycodan a cough med with 5 mg codone per teaspoon. I went to methadone at 22 Im now going to be 50 this yar. Worst thing I ever did. And the programs wont tell you it is the hardist thing to get off of. I know very few if any to stay off once on. Im 9 weeks into my 2ed detox from it in 28 yrs. first time I went 2 almost 3 yars free of it. 93-97, but I was court orderd to a detox {I asked for} and told I would get 10 yars as a violater on a suspended if I did not finish and come out clean. I did it. This time It is becouse of the long term use of meth that had me do it myself. It was not working, recptors will dry up over time and the boddy will brake down.it may take 25 yars but thay will.
    I had and still have some back pain. I had high blood presher. numbness in legs. over wt. ect ect. all after being on methadone frome 22 yas and up.
    10 weeks of rebulding my boddy dieting, lost 40 lbs , now im doing lower back and leg stregthening and pain is much more better. Not saying your out of shape or how old you are but takeing any drug and drink and sitting noding out will kill the boddy. Your better Now, befor you get even depper into addicton. And belive me it gets lots deeper then lortab/hydrocodone.
    Try to end the chace. It can be done Iv kiked vicodn/lortab/even dope from street when I could not get scripts. In 2 weeks. I was 19 and 20 back then. The thing I never found was a new good habbit. some would say sprit. a new hobby you like to fill the time and emptyness that comes from not doing something you love and hate so much you cant leave. It was that way for me. I still {any addict will} for the rest of my live think from time to time of the that lost feeling. That is what to keep up front. That feeling is trying to get back and will take you down if you let it. build boddy and mind If your sill under 40 it will go better then you think. Hope this makes some sence to you. it is what worked and is working for me. Even if it is only one day at a time.
    It is getting better.
    Best of luck
    MrG

Anonymous Guest

Question Cats Meow...

Thanks for the info! Do you possibly know how to treat it or when it will go away? I have seen 3 Dr's about it and they have no clue. I acually don't get dizzy when I roll my eyes I just hear the whoosh whoosh sound. It gets really bad also when I have a cold and my sinuses are all plugged up. This only happens when I am NOT on ultram. But it never happened before I took it.
    Thanks!!

i'm planning on not taking anything else... i took 5 mg methadone yesterday, but haven't taken anything today. so far so good. lol but it's only been one day.

mr gallavant... i just turned 21. i recently started working out and doing back strengthening exercises and it's helping.

GizmoGirl is offline New Member

Red face

Hey i'm new on here and noticed your question to another member about tramadol(Ultram). I've become terribly addicted to this drug and am starting a methadone detox program this week. I never found that they controlled pain very well but gave me energy and motivation. sorry to hear that you're having problems with your back and meds.

mojogirl68@comcast.net:

You're going from one of the weakest pain killers to the strongest? That's crazy! This is not the way to go, there's no good reason to go this route, you're only going to get more addicted. You need to taper off of the Tramadol and stop. If you have to switch from Trams go to hydrocodone, please don't go on methadone.

crystal30 is offline New Member

Question I need informaion on Methadone!!

Can anyone who has used methadone to get over an addiction please reply to me and give me their thoughts on it.
    I was in a car accident and was put on oxycontin. To make a long story short I got very addicted to it and took way to much. I am thinking of going on methadone to get off of the oxy's and still keep my pain under control since I heard that the methadone helps with pain. I would just like to know more about it and what people who have used the program think of it. I would like to know the pro's and con's of this medication.
    Also, is it true that methadone has an opium blocker in it so that if you were taking methadone and then for some reason relapsed and took an oxy, would the methadone block the oxy and make it not work or do anything for you?
    Thank you to whoever responds to my questions and helps me out. I really appreciate any advise and information that you can give me.
    Thanks again
    Crystal30
    Ontario, CAnada