Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Sundwn
  • 1 Post By Comeback Kid
How to Deal with Pain
    VeryCasual is offline Junior Member

Default How to Deal with Pain

Hi, everyone.

I was just wondering what people use for pain once they get off of opiates?

Part of the reason I started taking opiates was to relieve these aches in my shins and calf muscles. Now, that I have tapered to such a low amount, they are starting to come back. I totally forgot about them because I was on these opiates for an entire year!

I tried to start taking low doses of Tylenol (can't take too much due to liver problems) but doing 2k mg/day of Tylenol really doesn't cut it. Although it does very very slight relief.

What do you guys do?

Sundwn is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by VeryCasual View Post
    Hi, everyone.

I was just wondering what people use for pain once they get off of opiates?

Part of the reason I started taking opiates was to relieve these aches in my shins and calf muscles. Now, that I have tapered to such a low amount, they are starting to come back. I totally forgot about them because I was on these opiates for an entire year!

I tried to start taking low doses of Tylenol (can't take too much due to liver problems) but doing 2k mg/day of Tylenol really doesn't cut it. Although it does very very slight relief.

What do you guys do?
    Well, you never said how many milligrams a day opiate you were using for a year. Could make a difference in what I am about to say..........even at a low daily use. You have been putting opiates in your body for a year. Often when someone stops. Their brains opiate receptors want them to continue with the pills and will dial up pain. What is often refered to as " phantom pain". In time, when your body starts producing natural opiate ( endorphins ) the pain diminishes or completely goes away. Now I am not a Dr. But have experience with pain and phantom pain. So I have found this explanation to be sound. I would continue with the OTC meds. ( Try alieve) if the pain persist contact your Dr. I hope this has been helpful......sundwn
    Comeback Kid likes this.

Comeback Kid is offline Member

Agree with Sun, and im almost 100 days clean, and have noticed that a headache WILL go away with some ibuprofen. I remember I would take more hydrocodone to relieve my headaches, and they just got worse. Weird, eh? Its all in your mind mostly while on opiates. They live your life for you. Doesn't sound like anything I want a part of. Good luck
    Quotes that keep me going:

"Do you have another day 1 in you?"
    "If not now, when?"
    “When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.”

Clean as of 02.03.2012

surfdog is offline Senior Member

Kid and Sun are on target here. It takes a while for the brain to adjust w/o the opiates. I use Aleve works better for me than Tylenol Surfdog

VeryCasual is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Will try it.

Comeback Kid is offline Member

I take a supplement called D-Phenylalanine. Its the D only version. You will find DL-Phenyl all over the place. Amazon has the D-phen, and it helps to relieve minor aches for me. And I have others that would testify the same. Worth a shot. Good luck
    Sundwn likes this.
    Quotes that keep me going:

"Do you have another day 1 in you?"
    "If not now, when?"
    “When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.”

Clean as of 02.03.2012