Results 1 to 7 of 7
He's on suboxone, I thought he'd feel better! He just lays there...
  1. #1
    6145jodic is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    pa
    Posts
    19

    Default He's on suboxone, I thought he'd feel better! He just lays there...

    My husband has been on Suboxone for about 3 months now and i had hoped he would feel more like himself by now. He's been an addict for about 7 years now, using off and on. He never gets out of bed. he never was the most energetic man in the world but everytime he isn't takeing anything he just lays in bed. He was stealing my sons focalin and buying adderal to feel better (and it works) but thats not good either! His dr. is changing his script from cymbalta to something else but as far as I know he hasn't found out what that is yet. I refuse to do any appts for him and he would let me do everything for him if I'd let him but I'm not sure what I should do. I talked to his therapist and he says he talked to his dr. but I'm really tired of having to take care of everything on my own. (Even though I've been doing it for years) I am resentful of what he is doing to our family. What king of answers do I give my kids when they ask why daddy never gets out of bed? I would like him to disappear and his problems with him! Then I feel guilty for thinking it. Any suggestions? I'm at wits end.

    Jodi

  2. #2
    Strong Desire is offline Advanced Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 6145jodic View Post
    My husband has been on Suboxone for about 3 months now and i had hoped he would feel more like himself by now. He's been an addict for about 7 years now, using off and on. He never gets out of bed. he never was the most energetic man in the world but everytime he isn't takeing anything he just lays in bed. He was stealing my sons focalin and buying adderal to feel better (and it works) but thats not good either! His dr. is changing his script from cymbalta to something else but as far as I know he hasn't found out what that is yet. I refuse to do any appts for him and he would let me do everything for him if I'd let him but I'm not sure what I should do. I talked to his therapist and he says he talked to his dr. but I'm really tired of having to take care of everything on my own. (Even though I've been doing it for years) I am resentful of what he is doing to our family. What king of answers do I give my kids when they ask why daddy never gets out of bed? I would like him to disappear and his problems with him! Then I feel guilty for thinking it. Any suggestions? I'm at wits end.

    Jodi
    Hi Jodi,

    I know you've began 3 different threads, and I'm sorry you haven't had many replies. I don't have many answers for you myself, but I do know that the Suboxone should make him feel nearly normal, at least as normal as he is suppose to feel.

    So if your husband is not quite himself, and just laying in bed for most of the time, I think it must be something other than the subs doing it. So hopefully the new medication will make the difference? You are both in my prayers and I will be thinking of you.

    Perhaps you can give a little more information to us like how much sub he is on right now. How many mg's per day in other words. Put it on this thread and use this one for your replies. The more threads you have, the more confusing it gets at times. For me anyway it does.

    Maybe tell your kids that daddy is "sick" (true) right now and hopefully he will be feeling better with the new medication might not hurt? You didn't say how old they were?

    I can feel your frustration, but I'm certain that he can use all the support he can get right now. Be there for him as I'm sure you are. If he's on the subs, he is trying to get clean right? Hang in there Jodi and hopefully others will have other ideas for you. These are my own opinions here. I wish you the very best.

    Keep posting right here and I'm sure others WILL post to you. Many very wise members on this forum with a huge amount of support and encouragement to offer you. Just wanted you to know that someone really does care.

    Have a wonderful day,
    Karen

  3. #3
    MP5
    MP5 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Portland,OR
    Posts
    235

    Default

    Hi Jodi, Welcome to the forum! Do you know what his sub dose is? mg's per day? That is a good place to start. Subs are a tool that can be used to help one get clean. But, It is not going to fix his addict brain, and can also be abused and is way to often over prescibed and abused.

    Mike

  4. #4
    6145jodic is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    pa
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
    Hi Jodi, Welcome to the forum! Do you know what his sub dose is? mg's per day? That is a good place to start. Subs are a tool that can be used to help one get clean. But, It is not going to fix his addict brain, and can also be abused and is way to often over prescibed and abused.

    Mike


    He is on 8 mg per day and I am pretty sure he is only on it because I told him to get clean or get out. He was stealing my sons focalin and buying adderall to make him feel "better". so I'm not really sure what his mind set is. He doesn't like to talk about how he feels and he refuses to say that he is an addict, he says he has a problem taking pain meds. The dr. told him is testosterone is way too low and that can make you feel tired but he wont use the gel he gave him. I just don't know how to help him and at this point I'm really tired of trying.

    And thanks for asking about my kids my youngest is 3 and my oldest is 21. My oldest kids know about their dad but I haven't said anything to the younger ones coz I wasn't sure what to say.

    Thnaks for listening
    Jodic

  5. #5
    rxqueen83 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    438

    Default

    Hey Jodi
    8 MG is a high dose and combine that with an SSRI and what sounds like depression, that's probably making him tired. You should make an appointment with his Doctor/s. I would try to get the Sub dose down to atleast half that, and maybe talk about a different anti depressant if the celexa is making him tired. The low testosterone is a problem too. He has to be an active part of his treatment.
    COMPLETELY CLEAN (Sub FREE) as of 7/20/12

    "I don't like the drugs, but the drugs LIKE ME" Marilyn Manson

  6. #6
    NoFear23 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    24

    Default

    hes feeling down for 2 reasons. either hes taking to high of a dose which is common because most people dont realize how strong suboxones are. in a sense when you take to high of a dose of suboxone your going to get a high from it and in a sense youve just traded one drug for another. the other reason is hes still using and is going back and forth on subs and his drug of choice. just because he has a script for suboxone doesnt mean hes taking them. ive had plenty of friends get scripts of suboxone just to please there family members to make it look like its an attempt to get clean but just end up selling them all to buy there drugs. even had a friend whos parents would make him take the suboxone in front of him so what he would do is put cellophane around the strip so when he put its under his tounge it wouldnt dissolve. he would go to bathroom and take it out and then go get high. drug addicts are kings of manipulating situations... if its the first reason which it very well could be tell him to start lowering his dose. 8mgs is a high dose. tell him tommro to go to 4 mgs tommro. if its to little he can always add a little more if that dose is to low. but the key to suboxone is to get on the lowest dose possible where it makes you feel as normal as possible. so starting tommro find a dose he can stabilize at where he feels normal and then taper from there. dont let him stay on one dose for to long or else you become dependent on the subs. after you stabilize a dose start following a taper of 25% drops every 4-5 days. do that until he gets to .50 or less and jump off from there. suboxone if used right is a good drug to get off opiates but if used the wrong way it isnt not going to help his drug habit at all. could even make it worse. not a drug you play around with. post tommro and let me know what dose he starts at and others can help you after that

  7. #7
    6145jodic is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    pa
    Posts
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoFear23 View Post
    hes feeling down for 2 reasons. either hes taking to high of a dose which is common because most people dont realize how strong suboxones are. in a sense when you take to high of a dose of suboxone your going to get a high from it and in a sense youve just traded one drug for another. the other reason is hes still using and is going back and forth on subs and his drug of choice. just because he has a script for suboxone doesnt mean hes taking them. ive had plenty of friends get scripts of suboxone just to please there family members to make it look like its an attempt to get clean but just end up selling them all to buy there drugs. even had a friend whos parents would make him take the suboxone in front of him so what he would do is put cellophane around the strip so when he put its under his tounge it wouldnt dissolve. he would go to bathroom and take it out and then go get high. drug addicts are kings of manipulating situations... if its the first reason which it very well could be tell him to start lowering his dose. 8mgs is a high dose. tell him tommro to go to 4 mgs tommro. if its to little he can always add a little more if that dose is to low. but the key to suboxone is to get on the lowest dose possible where it makes you feel as normal as possible. so starting tommro find a dose he can stabilize at where he feels normal and then taper from there. dont let him stay on one dose for to long or else you become dependent on the subs. after you stabilize a dose start following a taper of 25% drops every 4-5 days. do that until he gets to .50 or less and jump off from there. suboxone if used right is a good drug to get off opiates but if used the wrong way it isnt not going to help his drug habit at all. could even make it worse. not a drug you play around with. post tommro and let me know what dose he starts at and others can help you after that
    I just talked to him and he said he's gonna try taking less. He said his dr is supposed to start tapering him off starting next week. I have to say he was up and showered and way too happy this morning so I'm guessing the "ride" he went for last night had something to do with his good mood. Any how thanks for your help.

    jodi

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22