Here I am again..going to my Pain Doc & Telling him EVERYTHING..
    mkan54 is offline Junior Member

Default Here I am again..going to my Pain Doc & Telling him EVERYTHING..

I was here a month ago when I was running low on my RX for 7.5 mg Hydrocodones. To recap - I didn't know what would happen if I ran completely out for several days before I could get my refill, so I found this forum and posted a question on what to expect. Of course Robert answered and many of you others. (I appreciated your support and concern).

Anyway, TODAY, I have a 8:00 a.m. app't with my pain doctor. I have print outs of the following: Suboxone information; Robert's recipe for detox; a typed list of my major concerns & pain symptoms; and lastly, a print out of my health savings account HSA balance. The reason I have that is because I am going to ask him if he thinks I should get a followup MRI of my cervical spine because it has been about a year since my last one. (I have a herniated disk in my neck C5-6, along with a lumbar spine that has a 2-level fusion with L5-S1 hanging in there directly below all that steel).

Soooo, the facts are that my RX isn't due to be refilled until March 21 (that would be doing the math precisely according to how many I can take per day) and I have 3 pills left. I plan to take my bottle right in to the app't and show him how many I have left.

Another thing I want to say is that I have a good friend who is a male nurse and he told me that 80% of ALL doctors talk just horribly about their patients the minute they leave the operatory / exam room. I don't doubt it one bit. My plan at my app't today is to ask to have privacy with my doctor without a little nursey-nurse standing there staring at me like I am some common criminal / drug addict. I don't see why a nurse has to be in the room when the app't is between me and my doctor. They always have to ask you all these questions and take all these notes. The doctor comes in and asks you the exact same things, so what's the point. When she asks me the reason for my app't I am simply going to say, "to evalulate my pain management" and that's it. She is not getting anything else out of me. I am not telling her the finer details about how I am there to figure out if I should detox and if it should be inpatient or how???

What do you all think will happen? I suppose by the time most of you read this my app't will already be over and I will have the answers of what is going to happen to me.

Again, to recap - I take 7.5 Hydrocodone - between 4 & 6 per day. I never ever take more than 7 pills within a 24 hour period. I sleep from 9 p.m. - 4 a.m. The rest of time I am going about 100 mph, either at my full time job, or taking care of my 7 year old g-daughter, or doing my other business in my home. (or general cleaning, laundry and all that happy stuff). I am 54 years old, single, weigh 145 pounds and am about 5' 7" tall, so not overweight.

Lastly, I recently started on Prozac for anxiety issues relating to my daughter and granddaughter. My daughter is not a fit mother and I know I will ultimately end up raising my g-daughter. I worry all the time about her and the littlest things throw me into a panic. My general practioner physician started me on Prozac and I am thankful for that. I am sure it will help me cope with all the horrible things going on with my daughter. On March 5 she gave birth to a 5 month gestation baby boy and we all just had to stand there at the hospital and wait for his little heart to stop beating. It was almost more than I could bear. THE most horrible thing I have ever seen in my life. She continues to add "high drama" to my life in every way imaginable and I know Prozac will help me.

Sooo now you are all up to date. I'll post again after I get back from the Pain Clinic. It will be interesting to see what he decides to do when I fess up to all my concerns.
    Bye for now and I shall return.

Every doctor is different. One doctor gave me a script for more hydrocodone after I told him I had been abusing with the same directions as before (no taper or anything), and refills! Another has given me another medication for my migraines that is non-narcotic. Although they may judge you, in my personal opinion that doesn't matter, as long as you figure out this issue. From your post, it sounds like you're just physically dependent on them, not psychologically addicted to them, which is good. Also, it would be good to get off of them with your environmental stress that is occuring. I am totally to blame for getting addicted to Vicodin, but certain circumstances such as family stress and drug dealing doctors didn't help. I don't know what the doc will say about the nurse thing. I'm sure there is a bit of gossip that goes on, but there is in every office... doesn't make it okay. Best of luck to you. Let us know how it goes.

Well, just back... Not sure what to think of how it went. He was upset with me for taking more than 4 pills per day, so just the opposite of what I had secretly hoped for I guess... He is cutting me back to TWO hydro's a day. He added 500 mg Naproxen and Baclofen (not sure of the spelling of that yet). He suggest physical therapy for my neck and that's that. I asked him about w/d symptoms and he said I wouldn't have any. I told him about the whole "horrible detox" thing that so many talk about on this board and he said it simply was not true. He said I would not get diarehia and all that and laughed at the Imodium thing. He is a foreign doctor and very conservative. I am surprised he let me take them for this long I guess.

As to your comment about being psychologically addicted or not, I am sure I totally am. Are you kidding? I am scared to death to think I can only take 2 pills a day. Somehow I will have to get through it though. I think the more you take, the more you want, so maybe this will work.

Now I am off to read up on Baclofen. It probably won't do a durn thing, but I will try what he said and hope for the best.

More later... let me hear from others. Thank you.

Cats Meow is offline Diamond Member

You're not going to have full blown w/d's from cutting your dose in half, but you will feel like carp until your system stabilizes to your new dose, but two a day isn't enough since you only get 4-6 hours relief, you will start feeling w/d's after 8 hours with no pill. I suggest you cut them into quarters and spread it out through out the day, or why even bother with 2 pills, just quit, and get it over with, that's what you wanted anyway.

He doesn't know what he's talking about for the most part, duh you know that.

It took guts to do what you did, feel good about yourself, you're a good guy, you're trying, that matters, and you're moving in the right direction. I'll pat you on the back if no one else will.
    Cats
    Last edited by Cats Meow; 03-19-2009 at 11:52 AM.

Freedom4me is offline Advanced Member

Default Be honest with yourself

What were you secretly hoping for? Either your doctor is a complete idiot or you didn't tell him the whole truth so he would refill your script. If 4-7 pills didn't help you, what will 2 per day do? I predict you will take your new scrip as fast as you did your old one. And then have to deal with the withdrawals when you are out. You are just prolonging the inevitable so do it on your own terms, by your own choice, not when you run out of pills. Trust me I know. I don't mean to sound harsh, I believe you want help or you wouldn't be on here. Throw your pills away. The longer you take them the harder it will be to stop. They are obviously not helping your pain anymore. You are the only one who can help you, not your doctor. I believe you took them for legitimate reasons and it got the best of you. Happened to me. Robert and Melinda can help you through this. God Bless.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

mkan54 ..... I agree with Cats and Freedom4me. Either throw the pills away or spread the two pills out over the whole day. It WILL help some with how you feel regarding w/d symptoms which will be present. You'll see. It won't be like stopping cold from 10 years of oxycodone use, but you WILL still feel this. Your dr is confused if he says you won't feel anything. Some of these guys got their medical degrees at Sears I think.

I also congratulate you on handling this the way you did it! You're doing what is really best for you. But you will feel this regardless of the advice you received at the office. Splitting the pills up like Cats and I have suggested will make it easier on you I promise. And BTW regardless of what you were told I would still keep some immodium AD around. It's a good $6 - $7 investment if diarrhea hits you. Your belly will love you for it.

Quite honestly if you took 1/4 pill every three hours per day for 5-6 days, then every four hours per day for 3-4 days, then every six hours for a couple days, you would then have a relatively painless w/d if you just stopped. I would do the taper like I mentioned above as you have been on the pills for a while. But taking a small dose more frequently will keep some medication in your system and make the w/d symptoms less than taking one pill twice a day. That's worthless advice to take one little vic twice a day.

If you just stop cold right now the w/d wouldn't be THAT bad. You would be past the worst w/d symptoms in less than a week if you just stop cold. If you do the short taper you'll be doing it for a couple weeks. But I would do one or the other, no way I would stay on two pills per day for any amount of time.

You're going to have to decide how you want to do it. You're going to feel this some no matter what you do. At any rate the two pills aren't going to do anything but cause you discomfort if you stay on them at that dose. You're now going to be taking such a small amount of medication that it isn't going to do much for pain anyway. You should just blow them off and get on with your life.

Let us know how you decide to approach this. If you do decide to stop taking them like we've suggested there are some things you can do to make the w/d symptoms even less noticeable. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 03-19-2009 at 01:07 PM.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

You ALL are right.... about 1/2 of me is "NEW DOCTOR SEARCH" and the other half if "WHY BOTHER TAKING 2 PILLS A DAY"???? The ONLY difference between me and a few of the others on this board is that I spaced my pills out over 19 hours or so... I never took a handful at a time and/or I never took 2 at a time. I felt better (physically) if I took one pill every 3-5 hours. Just maintaining that level in my body. SO, therefore, I think Robert is right about cutting them up and spreading them out, but they won't do anything for my actual PAIN. Maybe the Naproxen will work though? I personally do not like Flexarill or whatever that is called, or any "downer" med. I am upbeat, high energy and all that makes me a DOPE. I don't like that feeling. According to my doctor (that I saw today) I had 3 pills left and my RX was due to be filled on the 21st. Well, if you count the days it might have been due tomorrow, so I was not showing that bad regarding how many I had left.

I have been thinking that maybe i shouldn't have even gone there. Not sure what I was thinking. I know the right thing is to quit taking them though... deep down I know that is right. However, if my life terms were different, if I didn't have to "high ball" all the time I could maybe quit them more easily. I have decided to stop selling on eBay for a while. That is a lot of work and the pills were the main thing that kept me going so hard in that regard. Sooo, it will cost me financially for sure.

You all should have seen what I got done last night in my grossed out basement where I was getting a new shower installed. It was a huge mess and I did take two pills within 2 hours and went to work...vacuuming, scrubbing the floor, doing laundry. All that would just not be possible without the pain relievers.

Don't know what I'll do in the long run, but keep posting for me, like you do for others. I read every single one.

Thank you so much.

Opiate dependency is painful in itself. MOST of us find that when we get OFF the opiates our pain actually decreases. I promise that is the norm. Then the naproxen or ibuprofen would most likely help. Let us know what we can do to help. If you decide to cold turkey you need to check out the Thomas Recipe for easing the w/d symptoms. Here is the link. God bless.

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-...wal-35169.html
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

So, is it because ROBERT replied that no one else will?

Now, don't get me wrong. I respect Robert's info, but I need to hear from more of you in the same boat as me.

PLEASE don't desert me because Robert replied and you think that is the final word on everything. C'mon now.

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mkan54 View Post
    So, is it because ROBERT replied that no one else will?

Now, don't get me wrong. I respect Robert's info, but I need to hear from more of you in the same boat as me.

PLEASE don't desert me because Robert replied and you think that is the final word on everything. C'mon now.
    Your to funny....
    Robert just said it all that's why know one else replyed..LOL
    What else do you want to know we would love to help...

Talk to you later, Melinda

So what's your plan Mkan, take the 2 pills a day or quit?

This is what I would do, the first day after waking up, go for as long as you can without taking a pill, when you're finally ready to give in (WD's are kicking in good at this point) make yourself wait another hour, even longer if you can stand it, then take a whole pill, then wait 10-12 hours and take the second pill, then when you wake up the next morning take half of a pill, then start taking half a pill every 6 hours. After about 2-3 days your dose should be stable, and you'll feel better then you did. What we're accomplishing is keeping you out of w/d's, for the most part you're not going to be able to feel the pills anymore, any euphoria is a thing of the past, at least you're not going to feel sick. If you're up to it and feel ready to quit, start adding more hours before taking a half pill, gradually taper yourself down to none.
    Cats

OMG...OMG....Updates...Updates...... Okay, here is where I am right now and most of you will probably be upset, but just telling the TRUTH here...

I took my last 7.5 last night about 6:00 p.m. None left. Doctor cutting me back to 2 pills a day, but can't get the script til Saturday - March 21...trying to figure out what to do. I had grilled food last night and sometimes it gives me diarehhia (gotta learn how to spell that word)...anyway, I get up this a.m. with that... All the time I am thinking...yup...gonna start d/t w/d's.... all day at my work...sick, sick....going to the bathroom about every hour or two. I go up to this one worker who used to give me a few pills once in a while and I tell him that I can't pay him back the 3 -5's he gave me last month cause I am getting off of them. He proceeds to tell me that he is getting two bottles of pills from his neighbor over the weekend. I am thinking...OMG.... that's just great.

So, I get off work..feeling like ********, have the chills like crazy...freezing, freezing......come home, go right to bed..under the covers and everything at like 4:00 p.m. Sleep "sort of" til about 5:45. Wasn't myself at all, forgot and left my cell phone at work. I had been instructed at my doc's app't yesterday that I had to "call in for the hydrocodone" refill today.. Like they couldn't just give me the RX to be filled on Saturday??? Oh no, they had to make me CALL IN to get the 2 pill a day refill today?? Oh well then, so I had called them and left a voice mail for the nurse about 2:00 p.m. today. So, my cell is at my work, so after my nap I called my cell to see if there are any messages - 1 new message - it was the nurse - She says, "Yes, just wanted to let you know I am calling in your Hydrocodone refill right now." SO... I jump in my car...scream up to the pharmacy expecting an RX written for 2 pills per day or some such... maybe 60 pills, for 2 a day in a 30 day period or something and GET THIS....It is the EXACT SAME SCRIPT THAT I HAD BEEN GETTING EVERY SINGLE MONTH!!!! 120 pills written to take 1 every 6 hours PRN for pain! What happened there??? Was there a mis-communication between the nurse, my doctor and my file? I don't know, but here I sit with a full script.

I took ONE pill and that's it... I still have to figure a way out and OFF THEM, but at least I have some time to do it...like ONE MONTH and I have to figure it out like all of you did. I don't ever take a bunch of them at once anyways, but I know I need to quit.

What do you all think about this? Why would they refill the RX wrong according to what we discussed at my app't just yesterday? I don't get it.... If he wanted me to truly cut down to 2 a day, he shouldn't have written it "one every 6 hours" right??? I was thinking maybe he wanted to give me 120 pills at a crack and then make them last 2 months, but that's not the way it's written (??)

I feel horrible, but relieved at the same time. I had 24 hours under my belt. Whether the diarehhia, the chills, coughing and general feeling of being sick was the beginning of w/d's or I am just plain getting sick. I don't know. Never been thru it before.

I hope I didn't disappoint anyone, especially Robert, but that is the way things stand right now. I am confused, guilty, relieved, worried, and I suppose most of all - I am addicted.

One more note I forgot to say - CATS has the right idea...I think that is a really good plan and I am going to copy that off, blow up the font and print it off. I'll put it right in my kitchen as a plan. I agree with all you said... You DO have A GREAT PLAN of action... the more I 're-read' your plan I like it.... I think it will work.

What probably happened is the Nurse didn't see the med change, maybe the doc forgot to notate it, she went off your med grid of what's prescribed in your folder. The doc may not remember making the change when you see him next time, don't worry, you've done nothing wrong, and hey lucky you! That's what you get for being a good guy. Now it's your second chance to get a better grip on your usage, and all your ducks in a row.

I know Robert's not disappointed, it's nice that you care what people think, he's not that way though, and neither am I. Btw, you're not addicted, you have a dependency, there's a big difference, but you're borderline, just keep your usage in control and the A word won't apply to you.
    We almost never get mad at people who tell the truth, sometimes disappointed, but we understand, we're happy for you.

This is how you spell diarrhea.
    Last edited by Cats Meow; 03-20-2009 at 07:34 PM.

Ahhhh Cats....you make me cry.... wahhhhhh.....totally make me cry..... you are the best person....ahhhhhh I am crying now........ Thank you so much... I dont know what else to say other than you must be one awesome human being.

mkan54..... you don't owe anyone here especially me an apology. I'm happy you got a break. I think it's cool that you can do this and not be in such a state of despair. Let us know how you're doing. God bless.

urban.safari is offline Member

mkan, not dissapointing at all, you know if I was reading that a while ago it might have been but things are different for me this time around i can actually be proud of what I'm doing, getting clean and being normal again feeling good. Now when I see people using or they're talking about it all I can do now is feel bad for them and hope that they'll find there way to the road I decided to take which leads to happiness and I think of all the anxiety,depression and and sickness they're leading themselves too and that right there reminds me of how bad it is which would give me another 5 years sober. ;-) How old are you bro? You should just throw them out don't lead yourself to the nightmare. May God be with you. peeace
    ...............__..............
    ...............l l...............
    .......=~.Amen.~=......
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~He does hear us~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~