help! what works for migraine headaches?
    leana is offline Member

Default help! what works for migraine headaches?

hi, could anyone give me some advice on what to take when you get a horrible headache.i have back problems and fibro, which i take pain meds everyday{percocet} to help control my back pain.but when i get a migraine, the percocet doesnt work for a headache.it always starts in the back of my neck, then quickly goes strait to my forehead.ive been told that my neck bone even sticks out when im having an attack.i have to lay down with ice on my forehead and the back of my neck, and close my eyes.but isnt there some medicine i could take that would be helpfull.i have two kids,so its really difficult to have to go and lay down in the dark for awile.i remember taking soma a few years back for my back, and it helped the headaches as well.is there anything that would work better?

ymccormack is offline Member

Default Migraine?

Are you really sensitive to light when you get these headaches? I ask because light sensitivity is one of the symptoms of a classic "migraine".

If you don't have light sensitivity...it sounds like yours might be a tension headache...in that case somas or other muscle relaxing type stuff should help.

If you do have the classic migraine, there are some great migraine specific meds available.

Is there any chance that the headaches are connected to the percoset? I know it sounds crazy but...I discovered that dilauded (a pain killer) were at least partially causing my headaches. Just something to consider -- it was really hard for me to accept that a medicine that should have helped with my headaches was actually making them worse. I would get a headache and then start taking more pills, my headache would get worse and worse until I couldn't even think and my eyes were watering.

I have a 5 year old and know how hard it is to take care of children when you have a killer headache.

Let us know!

YM

leana is offline Member

yes, i am senstive to light,and as it progresses i get really nauseated, ive been getting the headaches on and off for years before the percocet, they first started when i had the norplant birth contol in, i removed it for that reason, but i still get the headaches.i am always under alot of stress having a three year old extremely hyperactive son,but all the symtoms seem like migraine.

ymccormack is offline Member

Yeah....hormones play a huge role in women's migraines. I can't give you specifics but know there are some great medications out there. You probably need something you can administer yourself since you have kids and don't want to have to pack everyone in the car and go to the dr's office everytime you get a headache.

Try going to headaches.com

I know I always have trouble convincing the dr of the severity of the headache....and since I can't go anywhere when I have one - the dr never saw me suffering from one first hand.

Wish I could be of more help....try doing some research and then discuss your findings with the dr.

YM