Help with Suboxone and taper
    kcsoup is offline New Member

Default Help with Suboxone and taper

Hi all

Here is a little history of myself, I started using opiates in 2/09, first was loratab and then on to oxycodone where I was using about 120 -150mg a day. About 75 days ago I went to a clinic and started Suboxone, and a week ago today I tapered down from 4mg to 2 mg. Yes it sucked especially days 3 and 4, but I was able to deal with it. I became emotional, depressed, and fatigued, but I got through it and yesterday and today I feel a lot better. My question is should I stay at the dose for awhile or should I continue to taper and get it over with, and does subutex work better the rest of the way. I am not getting all the bad withdrawals that I read about and I am glad, is that because I wasn't on opiates that long. Knowing what I know now I wouldn't of started subs.

Any inputs would be appreciated. I just want this to be over with.

Ken
    Last edited by kcsoup; 01-11-2010 at 06:14 PM.

tired2 is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcsoup View Post
    Hi all

Here is a little history of myself, I started using opiates in 2/09, first was loratab and then on to oxycodone where I was using about 120 -150mg a day. About 75 days ago I went to a clinic and started Suboxone, and a week ago today I tapered down from 4mg to 2 mg. Yes it sucked especially days 3 and 4, but I was able to deal with it. I became emotional, depressed, and fatigued, but I got through it and yesterday and today I feel a lot better. My question is should I stay at the dose for awhile or should I continue to taper and get it over with, and does subutex work better the rest of the way. I am not getting all the bad withdrawals that I read about and I am glad, is that because I wasn't on opiates that long. Knowing what I know now I wouldn't of started subs.

Any inputs would be appreciated. I just want this to be over with.

Ken
    Hi Ken,
    The reason you may have felt bad was that you did a large drop.You should only taper by 25% every four days till you get down to .25mgs then you would start to skip days.Which you would take .25 skip one day then dose,skip two days dose,skip three days then dose, once you get past four days then you are done.I would wait till you are sure you are stable before tapering any lower.Subs have a long half life which is about 72hours.This is why most only taper ever 4 days.If you are doing well on the Suboxone there really is no reason to switch over to Subutex.The only differance between the two is Suboxone has Naloxone which is add mostly for so that an IV user can not shoot up.
    Pam
    Just to live life free as a bird