HELP!! severely constipated and pregnant.
    ksb
    ksb is offline New Member

Default HELP!! severely constipated and pregnant.

I have been dealing with a long bout of constipation for over a month now. The only cure is a laxative (Dulcolax) on Fridays. That causes me to be sick all Friday evening, night, and Saturday all day... It is the pits. All I get from my doctor is more fruits and water. HELP!! After a few days, I think I get so full that I vomit everything up especially water. Any rememdies that won't hurt the baby would be extremely helpful![:0] I am only 11 weeks right now so I am worried this will last the entire pregnancy and don't want to rely on laxatives to clear myself out once a week! Thank you and please respond if you have any advice!!![^]

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

Have you tried natural things like raisins or prune juice? They generally work quicker than just adding more regular fruits and fiber to your diet and are gentle, they also won't harm the baby, as a matter of fact they will provide additional nutrients.

I ran into the same problem when I was pregnant and found they both worked well.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

fancy1866 is offline New Member

I unfortunately had this problem as well. First try Benefiber, if that doesn't work or if you also have hard stool try the stool softner Docusate Sodium. You could also take both of those. Glycerin supositories are also another option. Remember the most important thing is to drink TONS of water!!!
    I truly feel for you. I can't begin to explain what I have gone through with this same situation.
    I almost forgot, eat mini wheats on a daily basis. Easiest and most tasteful way to add fiber to your diet.
    My baby was born MAy 6th, and I continue to have "this" problem. Luckily you con take the stool softner (docusate sodium) if you plan on breastfeeding....just FYI.
    Hope some of this helps,
    Fancy

scruffi is offline Junior Member

I take docusate sodium daily - but can still get plugged up (I've gon 7 days-no movement.

I know the fruit thing gets old, but try fresh pineapple! also, uncle sam cereal with flax seeds every morning. These 2 things every day along with the docusate sodium have finally shown my intestines who's boss!

Stimulant laxatives are not a good idea when you are pregnant. When I was young, pregnant gals were drinking castor oil (a hideous laxative) to induce labor, and it sometimes worked.

fancy1866 is offline New Member

DO NOT USE CASTER OIL, especially when pregnant!!!!!!!!!!!

evelynn is offline New Member

Fresh pineapples are very good for digestive system, I do agree.However it is a big NO NO for pregnant woman. It will give you premature uterine contraction, please stay away from this remedy

newyorkgal is offline Platinum Member

There are several reasons constipation is so common during preganacy from the hormone progesterone to the iron in prenatal vitamins. Stool softeners like colace help. You can also take a MILD laxative such as Milk of Magnesia. Do NOT take a stimulant laxative however. Eat fibrous foods such as fruits veggies and whole grains cereal. (Check the side of the box to see which cereals contain the most fiber.) The MOST important think is drink drink drink water. And you can't leave out the importance of exercise. It just gets things moving in there and is a big help.
    Good luck with the baby!!