Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes
Help my son withdrawal - need some advice

Default Help my son withdrawal - need some advice

Hi,
    I am going to help my son go through withdrawals starting tomorrow, he has been using percocets, Xanax, morphine, and >>>>>>. I am not sure how much of any of these that he uses. But anyway I have gotten him everything on the Thomas Recipe except I am not going to let him use any prescription meds. He is going to stay at my house and I am taking his phone and not letting him out of my sight. I am scared because I don't know what to expect, he is all for doing this so I am hoping that will help but I know he is going to go through hell. Any advice from anyone would be appreciated.

davepeerson is offline Advanced Member

Well, congrats to him for wanting to get clean! He is gonna Hurt alot! It might be painful for you to watch?? He might beg you for his phone or something like that? Just, stay the course.You might try finding an NA meeting, and taking him to it.Sit with him if it's an open meeting, and if not, drop him off and pick him up! He probably won't wanna do that..I don't know for sure, but do know it would help him Alot! Being with others who are going thru the same thing, and talking with them is Huge Help! Good Luck! Keep me and the rest posted! You might also get him on here instead of you! Do him good to write what he is feeling, and read others posts for inspiration..annon33..davepeerson.NMO..Nanuq..Gott agetwell..Pennielane..and others! Stay Strong!

Thank you so much for responding. I am going to try to get him to an NA meeting but wasn't sure when to start that, he doesn't really like talking to people (has a hard time opening up and expressing his feelings). I have been reading a lot of the other posts and I am amazed at how everyone is so supportive I know this is not going to be easy for him and I want to make him as comfortable as possible. He is 33 years old and has been using for most of his adult life, he did kick it for about 6 months about 3 years ago. I just keep praying that this time it will work. I know I need to keep him busy and that's another thing I'm not sure when to start making him get up and moving. I will definitely keep you posted, I am picking him up after I get off work tomorrow and then I will be with him non stop as long as he needs. Again thanks for responding so quickly and I will keep posting updates.

Just want to say that he is lucky to have you, but..careful not to enable him! It's great that you wanna help him, but he is 33, and needs to take some responsibility for his own actions! Believe me, I'm not in anyway saying not to help him! Just be sure he gets up, and does some things for himself! Meetings..will help more than you can imagine! If he doesn't want to be social, that's ok! He Needs to listen to others tell their stories, & they will share how they were able to get 5 days, 10 days,6months, 5 years!! He Needs to Hear how others were just like him, & how they got to where they are now! It's called.The Solution! Will give him something he is lacking right now..Hope! Again.I wish you well, but more important.Him! Also, can he read..he needs to be on here, if nothing else, to read for himself! Stay Strong!
    concernedgirl likes this.

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Dear Momtryingtohelp,

While I know your heart is in the right place, when it comes to addiction and recovery, too often our loved ones do more harm than good for the addict. This is his battle, not yours. This is only going to be successful if he wants it badly enough to be willing to do whatever is necessary to get clean - and stay clean.

Seriously, the first suggestion I have for loved ones is to get themselves to some Alanon or Naranon meetings immediately. The natural inclination for a parent, when the child is addicted, is to want to step in and help. But the help from parents is far more likely to be enabling, without their even realizing it. Enabling is a thousand little ways that our loved ones try to make it easier on the addict, which backfires. Enabling is nothing short of deadly. That is what you can learn about in Alanon or Naranon - how to help without enabling.

Going through withdrawal is not meant to be easy or comfortable. If it were easy, anyone could do it. And, if it's easy, it's all too easy for the addict to tell themselves that it's no big deal to use again - cause the cost isn't that high anyway. We need to experience the difficulty, so that we remember it. And that is why we have to experience all the painful consequences of our drug addiction - so that we feel it and consciously choose not to return to it.

It is up to him to get to meetings - whether or not he wants to go. This is a life or death disease, and "not wanting" to attend meetings really is like a drowning person saying they "don't want" to accept the life preserver!!! Make that a basic requirement while he is at your home; a meeting a day, no less. That is helping, not enabling. If he is unwilling, then he is setting himself up to fail.

NA is far, far more than a support group or social meeting. It is not group therapy. It is not a social gathering for folks to just sit around and swap stories. Rather, what they share is their "experience, strength and hope" with each other - how they got clean and how they stayed clean. But that's just the "fellowship" aspect of these programs. The real meat of NA (or AA) is the 12 steps. That's the program. That's the recipe out of addiction and into healthy thinking and lasting recovery. There is no substitute. There is no other plan or idea or pill that has the kind of success of these programs. Counseling is wonderful (it's what I do for a living!) - but it does NOT take the place of daily meetings and working the 12 steps with a sponsor.

Your son is an adult, at age 33. The drug use has kept him from maturing and becoming responsible. It has affected every aspect of his life. His # 1 priority right now must be doing everything possible to overcome this disease. Detoxing is only a very, very small part of it. That's just the first week. But the real recovery comes in the weeks and months ahead; that's where the relapses occur. He has to develop the coping skills to manage his emotions and deal with life without a drug; there is no better place to learn these tools than AA or NA.

I hope you hear me.

God bless,
    Ruth

You will know the truth - and only the truth can set you free.

Thanks to both of you for responding. I know I have enabled him in so many ways and yes I do plan on attending some meetings myself because I know I have a very difficult time telling him no. I have already talked to him and told him that he will be attending meetings. Well tonight I picked him up and he is at my house right now, I searched everything when he came in, I checked his pockets made him take his shoes off checked his socks, his pant pockets and I am well aware of how he looks when he is using so if I missed something I will know. I am not letting him take anything that is not over the counter. I have his phone and I told him he would not be allowed to use it. I'm not sure what the next few days are going to bring but I am determined to get him detoxed and he will be attending NA meetings, he has a schedule of when and where the are held. I am so glad that you both responded to me it really does help me to cope with things. I know he is an adult and it is time that he takes responsibility for his own actions and that if he wants this badly enough he has to fight for it. That is why I know I need to attend some meetings for myself so that I can learn how to stop enabling. Again I want to thank both of you and I will keep you posted.
    davepeerson likes this.

Good Luck! Keep us posted on his progress.Would still prefer Him to be posting on here, but I will still tyotally support you in anyway I am capable of! If he is indeed had nothing today..Should be getting pretty sick by now, and this night will be rough! Stay Strong..join the winning side!

Catrina is offline Advanced Member

Hi Mom,

I know both sides of addiction. I abused 20 yrs+ and FINALLY got clean and it has stuck for a bit over 3 yrs after countless relapses. This Forum helped me alot! It wasn't fun detoxing but I was determined, sick, but excited knowing that I was near the end of this mess. My son, also used all those things you son used and then some. I detoxed him at home, made it thru that and it was VERY soon that he was back at it. Fast foward 5 yrs and here we are again. I'm a professional enabler--up until now.

This time his attitude is much different. He is proud of himself and on day 15 today! He willing surrendered the keys to his vehicle and shut his cell phone off. His phone is back on and I personally listened to many, many calls where I heard him say, "no can't help you, I've been clean for a couple of weeks and I'm done!" One of my happiest moments but I also know that we're far from out of the woods. Yesterday, he went out and was gone a bit longer than I expected. Couldn't help it so I called him. His answer? "Mom, I'm good. I know I don't deserve your trust and I need to earn it again and I will!" Again, WOW!!! I apologized and told him I'm trying to trust him but I'm the Mom and I deserve to worry. He acknowledged that. Also, this time around he has my support and sympathy but no help except for listening. He has opened up to me and told me things I really didn't want to hear. I patiently listened and then wanted to throw up. That was not my son. He did things and took things that I couldn't even imagine! Becoming honest is a huge step and I'm glad he's talking to you. Hang in but just know that this is his work and not yours. If you could do this for him, you would have already done it. Hang tough. Being a watch dog won't help (sorry) if he wants to use, he will.

Listen, but no money. This is his job not yours. Try to be patient. This time around he went to a detox facility to save me the heartache and the "I don't know how to help". Far from outta the woods but working at it hopefully the right way this time.

Peace,

Cat
    Last edited by Catrina; 03-02-2013 at 04:24 AM.
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." Kahil Gibran (1883-1931).

Cat,

Wow your second paragraph sounded so much like my life, first I know he wants to get off the drugs this is his 3rd or 4th attempt in the past 4 months. He went to a detox center the first time but was only allowed to stay for 3 days (which is their rules) when he came home he seemed determined to keep trying but within 1 or 2 days was back at using, but his goal was to be better for Christmas, so the 2nd week of December he came and stayed with me to get away from his so called friends (I'm not blaming them I know that when he uses it is his choice but it doesn't help him being around them) he did pretty good but he was using some nerve pills, to help anyway he was pretty good at Christmas alert and interacted with everyone (we have a pretty big family) and I thought he was doing pretty good. Right after New Year's he went back home and of course I kept calling and stopping by to check on him at first I thought he was doing ok but then I noticed I would call him and he wouldn't answer my calls (said he was sleeping, or his phone wasn't on) but I know that he had started using again. So I started on him about getting off these and he keeps telling me how bad he wants to get off and stay off the drugs. He keeps saying that he truly wants this and that is all he thinks about, I know it is hard for him as I'm sure it is for everyone. I personally have never used anything and I guess for years I could never understand why it was so hard to stop if you want to badly enough but I now realize it is a demon that controls you. Anyway he came to me about 2 weeks ago and asked if he could try it again at my house and I told him yes but this time it had to be different I wanted to take his phone, and I didn't want him to use anything that wasn't over the counter. So I found this website and started reading everyone's post and heard about the Thomas Recipe so I have got everything that was on that list (except the prescription stuff) and we are going to see how this goes, he said he would go to NA also. Well so far he is doing pretty good but I know that it hasn't set in with the withdrawals yet, he did tell me that he took a Xanax yesterday afternoon a couple of hours before I picked him up. So I am expecting anytime now things are going to get worse. I just keep praying that this time he can do it. I am going to make a calendar up for him and have him cross off each day he is sober. I appreciate everyone's comments and help and I am also going to get to a meeting for myself because I know that I definitely need to learn to cope with this situation especially if this doesn't work. I'm sorry this is so long. I will keep you posted.

A calendar for him, that's nice? You should get him a journal that HE can write in daily, kinda like what we do here! If he doesn't want to interact with us?? He, not you, needs to be reading these and writing! This is just My personal opinion of course! I guess there is nothing wrong with you reading, and trying to learn as much as possible..Fact that is actually a good thing, But..He needs to be as well! Again, just my opinion! Keep us posted, if he won't! Stay Strong Mom..

Dave,

I haven't said anything to him about getting on here yet, but I definitely would like him to I do think it would do him good to see what everyone else is going through and maybe he could benefit from everyone else's experiences. I thank you so much for responding it does help and I guess I need a sounding board right now.

A quick update it has been about 33 hours since he last used anything and he is now throwing up and for the last 7 or 8 hours he has been freezing one minute and sweating the next. He just started the getting sick (throwing up about a half hour ago). His legs and back are hurting, I gave him some ibuprohen about 2 hours ago and just asked him if he wanted the nausea medicine (I got him the over the counter for motion sickness) he said no he would just throw it back up. He has about 6 or 7 blankets on right now and is still cold. I hate seeing him have to go through this but I know that he needs to too start to get better. I know he has a long long way to go but this is a start. I will keep you posted on his progress and I'm going to suggest to him tomorrow to get on here and at least read what everyone has to say.

Good morning Mom.Yeah, I can imagine watching what your son is going through isn't pretty, but it is Real! He Will be OK..Just know that these first days, especially, will not be pretty! That's a price we All have to pay, for what we have done to our poor bodies! Keep reminding yourself, and Him, that it Will All be Worth it though! I'm sure today..all day will be Rough! But, getting him up and moving around, at least some, will pay great dividends! I was in the Gym on day 2 or 3, I'd have to look back at my journal, but I have been Making myself excersise, even when I don;t want to, cause it Helps! Even a walk..anyhing but just laying there in pain! Keep us posted, and hopefully, He will post, and or read..And meeting, NA, soon!! Good luck! Stay Strong! Get your life back..

Mom,

He's sick. As much as that's an awful thing for us Moms to watch, it's a VERY good sign. He's in withdrawal and big time. Yah!!! That sounds ridiculous to some, I know but it means he's detoxing. Help him treat the symptoms. It won't make him 100% but at least it feels like we're doing something. The detox days are going to feel light years but in reality, by days 5 or 6 you will see things markedly improved. Deal with the post detox stuff when the time comes. Just get thru this week. I promise, detox from opiates is not dangerous, it's H*ll. Determination, so long as it's his will do the trick. My thoughts are with you. We are kindred spirits and if I can help, even to help you to understand what's happening at this moment, I will try. Remember, I've been there, done that both for me and my son. Sometimes I wonder why I had children! Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Peace,

Cat
    "Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars." Kahil Gibran (1883-1931).

Cat,

Thank you so much I am sitting here right now crying for two reasons because it is so hard watching him go through this but also because I want sooooo bad for him to be able to stay off the drugs. As hard as it is to watch him suffer like this I just keep praying that he suffers enough that he won't want to go backwards. He threw up all night Saturday and all day yesterday, he hasn't had any diarahia yet so I don't know if that's coming or if he's just going to continue to throw up. I just had him get up and get a hot shower, he hasn't eaten anything since Saturday morning and so I am hoping today I can get him to eat at least some toast or soup. I want him to start taking the vitamins but he said right now he would just be throwing them back up. He has been drinking Gatorade and he asked for ice water last night and today. I truly admire you for going through this not only for your son but also for yourself. I know he wants to get off this stuff he has talked about it for months and has tried several times. I think before though he would go two maybe three days and then cave in, he went to a detox center back in November and they would only keep him three days and when I went to pick him up I could tell he wasn't not through detoxing by any means. After he got home I tried giving him positive comments but he relapsed, so in December I brought him here and we tried it again only that time I didn't take his phone from him and he had some nerve pills to help (that's what he said would help him) but I knew in my heart that it was just treating one addiction for another, so when he went back home the first week of January I didn't have a good feeling and it wasn't very long and he was back at it, he tried several times from January to now to do it at his place but always gave in to temptation plus I feel that the people that come around aren't helping (I know he needs to stay away from everyone who is using), Anyway he came to me a couple of weeks ago and asked if he could try it again here at my house. I told him this time was going to be different that he had to do it completely cold turkey and he agreed. So far he hasn't asked for anything (nerve pills) and he hasn't even asked if he could have his phone. I do have a question regarding his phone I am going to get his number changed but he has gotten some text messages from other users should I tell them to not text him anymore or call that he is trying to get away from the drugs or do you have any suggestions on how I could handle that? I know this is long but I really do appreciate you and Dave responding to me it really does help. I like your last comment as well, when I started having kids I wanted 8 lol, I do have 4 and thank God he is the only one with this problem.

Thanks again

Sorry for not getting to you sooner today. Really busy day. Ah the phone! Don't you hate that damn thing? Take it and shut it off. Keep it where it can't find it and when he's feeling better give it back to him. Don't even bother changing the number. If he wants to do that to stop his peeps from contacting him then he will. Always remember, he's a big boy and every decision has to be his and not yours. It's OK to keep him close this week thru detox but we can't keep them in a bubble. When my son turned his phone back on post detox I heard with my own two ears telling call after call, "sorry can't help. I've been clean for xxdays". Believe it or not after a little over a week after that the calls have slowed significantly and 3 of his co-users are either in rehab or been to detox and trying to clean up! Who knew?

Eating. Yeah I know. It was 4 days that my son barely drank anything and then only when I bullied him. He refused to or just couldn't eat even a cup of soup. I bought some high calorie drink (Hawaiian Punch...YUCK) no nutritional but had calories and kept him hydrated. When he finally did try to eat we started with easy on the tummy stuff like a poached egg on toast--in one end and right out the other. Went thru 3 boxes of Immodium!! He lost alot of weight and so did I! There was no way I was going to let him weigh less than me! Another thing he's going to complain about is the inability to sleep. Please share with him that this will take a bit of time. We're on Day 18 and for the first time he crashed today in a big way! He was running on 2-3 hrs/day/night and broken at that. It's really frustrating (unforunately I know that pain well). Tell your son once he's able to get outta the bathroom to try and do something, anything, and it will help stop him from dwelling so much on his misery.

Keep me posted and let me know how else I can help. How proud I am to be an expert at this stuff...

Peace,

Cat
    Last edited by Catrina; 03-04-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Hey Mom, My quick opinion on the friends texting..I would agree with Cat! He is a Big Boy, and if he is Serious about wanting this, he will tell them to back off, and what he is trying to do! In my personal experience..when I have told dealers, friends, etc. what I was trying to do..they didn't push the Garbage on me..Fact, most of the time, they just go away!! They really don't want anything to do with you anymore, if your not going to join in on ruining your life! Losers prefer to hang with their own kind!! Good luck, and keep us posted! Stay Strong.It will get better!

Just checking in for a status update. How's it going?

Cat

Cat and Dave,

Well he is on day four clean, he is doing a lot better today still fills sick to his stomach and is cold, but he's not shaking as much and he said his legs feel a little better today. He has talked a lot to me about things that were going on and one thing that I have found really funny is his so called girlfriend has not even called once to see how he is doing. He said he is having some really weird dreams about drugs and said he thinks something is happening but then realizes he is dreaming. He is sleeping some but very restless but right now I guess that is to be expected. I told him today that I was proud of him making it through 4 days and he seemed pleased with himself. Like I said this is the longest he has been clean in over 3 years. Not real sure I like hearing some of the things he has told me but I know he needs to talk and it has been nice having these conversations with him because he wants to talk instead of getting upset with me if I bring anything up relating to drugs. I know this is just the beginning but I am really hoping this is the start for his new life We are going to look up some NA meetings tomorrow and he is going to see a counselor, we have one that we found just have to call and make the appointment (which he is going to do tomorrow also). I think you both are right as far as his phone goes, he hasn't asked for it yet but I have been monitoring the text that he has gotten and not a single person has asked how he is doing (that goes to show you what kind of friends they are). He is the one that asked me to get his number changed (he is on my plan so I have to do that). I think he is planning on staying here with me at least through next week, so I feel better about that but I guess I am worried about when he goes home, that's why I want him to get to the NA meetings and the counseling before he goes home, hopefully that will get him a little stronger and then when it comes time to face any of these so called friends hopefully he will be able to tell them to leave him alone that he's not using anymore. I guess right now I'm just taking it a day at a time and I'm trying not to get my hopes up to much but I keep praying this will be the time he truly succeeds. I will keep you guys posted and again thank you both for checking in. Also Dave congratulations on you staying clean your doing a good job. Cat how is your son doing?

Hi Mom,

My son is doing great! I am still on the "inspect the pupil stage" of this drama but remain silent. He comes and goes and is back working. He's still staying with me by his choice. At least I can try to put some meat on that boney body! He is currently sleeping peacfully in MY bed with my grandson. My granddaughter and I took the two couches. Ouch! I'm too old for this. 6:30am here and I've had entirely enough of that damn couch.

Sounds like you two are almost there! Great work. I was glad to see that you've given the responsibility of making calls to him. That's where it belongs and has always been my weakness. Yah know, Mom will take care of it. Unfortunately, this is one thing that I can't take care of so he's on him. Taking care of my kids is another of my addictions I'm afraid even though they are adults.

Keep us posted.

Peace,

Cat

Cat,

Will post later to let you know how he is doing but your last sentence describes me perfectly I do have that addiction also my kids are all adults but I still try to do anything I can for them, I will say that my other 3 kids have not needed the attention that my son has they all are doing very well and have very stable lifes. I do wonder sometimes where I went wrong with him they were all raised the same, but he just chose the path and unfortunately it wasn't a good path. Anyway thanks for checking in on us and I will let you know how the calls and his day goes later.

Thanks!!

Question - he is having some really weird dreams, I still have his phone but he thinks people are texting him and he is talking to them on the phone, he was actually holding his cigarette lighter like it was a phone is this normal? He has still not eaten said nothing sounds good but he is taking his vitamins and drinking water and gaterade. I am just a little concerned about the dreams want to make sure this is normal.

Hi Mom,

I have 2 adult kids--my son you've heard about. My daughter the over-achiever! Worked her way through school refusing to take a dime from us and had two kids in the process!! My granddaughter was born during intercession of her LAST semester when she couldn't take any time off. Nursing school. She's a trauma nurse now and has just been offered the Nurse Manager position of the hospital! I quit my job when my wonderful granddaughter was born to care for her so that my daughter could finish school and take care of my then 3 yr old grandson. My daughter has shared the burden of our addiction and is my strength.

Your son and question. Yeah. I never had weird dreams but my son has and many others have noted them as well. "Drug dreams". I think they revolve around scoring and using and others have said that even sometime after they are clean they have them and are soooo relieved to wake up to discover that they didn't relapse. They are that real. This past time with my son he was hallucinating for the first couple of days. Scary as hell and he doesn't now remember much of it. I don't think I had that experience and I think I remember every painful moment of detox. I did it alone, at home without anyone knowing. I had the "flu". The dreams ought to become less frequent or stop soon but may return later on and be upsetting to him because they are so real (my understanding). No worries I don't think. Again, I don't know what or how much he was taking so pretty hard to judge. If he wants to tell you he will. Counseling too will help.

Keep me posted.

Peace,

Cat

Cat,

Well he has made it 6 days now, the last 36 hours have been hell, his dreams and then he has been hallucinating, he is doing a little better tonight but still keeps talking to himself. I know he is dehydrated so I have been giving him lots to drink today. I am hoping that he can get some sleep tonight I got him some melantonin so I'm hoping that will help him to sleep a little. I am hoping that tomorrow is a lot better for him it will be a week. I will keep you posted.

Hey Mom, You sound like your a blessing to that boy of yours!! He is Very lucky to have you! It really should start getting somewhat better..at least somewhat..soon! I have to think the first 5-7 days are the worst for whatever opiate you are coming off..But, he will be an ill boy for quite some time! I know I have said this before, but it is worth repeating..Get him moving Soon! A walk..anything..it WILL help!! The sleep..well, I am on day 23 soon, and sleep is still a struggle! But, for the most part, it doesn't seem to matter that much? I actually feel better now, with 4-6 hours sleep, than when I slept 8-10 hours or more! Keep us posted..and if and when..have him read and or post!! Stay Strong..The pain now..will be worth a Life of Passion later!!
    Catrina likes this.

Good Morning Mom,

Dave is so right. Sleep is almost always the last thing to begin to return to any thing close to "normal" (whatever that is). 3 yrs later and I run on 5 or 6 hrs/night but you know, I've learned to love it. I'm up bright and early and enjoy the quiet before beginning a hectic day. This is MY time! The key for me was just simply accepting that this just might be my normal. I abused for so long I don't even remember what my "normal" sleep pattern is. This, along with the discovering what "normal" feels like is your son's next task. It's not magic, it just takes patience, determination and time. Your son really is blessed to have you.

Peace,

Cat

Cat and Dave,

Thank you both for the words of encouragement that really means a lot. Well he is 8 days clean today!!!!! He is not talking to himself anymore which is good, he still thinks things have happened that really didn't. I have been reading a lot about the different drugs he was taking and it seems that the Xanax is the one that is causing him the most problems with the withdrawals. They say not to go cold turkey off of them because of the side effects. But he has not taken anything for the 8 days and he definitely is better now than he was on day 5 and 6 those were the worst, he was having conversations with people that weren't there (not just jibberish but actual conversations) that scared the hell out of me. I called one of the counseling centers in our town and the counselor that I spoke to said going cold turkey off of Xanax is very hard but she said that since he has gone (at that time 6 days) that he didn't want to go backwards and start taking them again and taper down. She told me to watch him to make sure he didn't have any seizures, she said that was the only thing that could really kill him, she told me to make sure he was drinking a lot of fluids and that might help with the hallucinations. I have been giving him lots to drink needless to say and I think that is helping him a lot. He seems to be remaining positive hasn't asked for anything as far as drugs. Last night he slept for about 3 and 1/2 hours got up and had a cigarette and then fell back to sleep for another 2 hours so I was relieved for that. I gave him the melatonin and also 1 Ibuprohen pm so I think that is what helped him to sleep. I don't want him to get used to having to take anything to sleep but I really felt he needed to get some sleep. So tonight I'm just going to give him the melatonin to help relax him. I really hope things start getting better and I'm sure they will lol I guess mom just needs to be more patient I know you can't fix something like this overnight. Anyway sorry for the long post and I will keep you updated on how things are going.

Thanks to both of you!!!!

Just a quick post well he has made it through 9 days now and in about 12 hours it will be 10 days clean. He is up moving around more now, and is eating a little more. We actually had a really good conversation just a little while ago, I was telling him how he was acting with the hallucinations and he didn't recall any of it. He said he feels better but said his head still fills a little foggy and his legs are restless. He said he never wants to put his body through this again. Well I will keep you both updated on how things are going, Thanks again

Morning Mom,

That's good news. Let him set his pace. It bears saying again that counseling and meetings are of tremendous help and essential but you can't make him go. Doesn't work that way. Help can be offered but no one can make him accept it. The physical stuff mostly past the real work begins (sorry). I wish it was truly over after detox but it's just the beginning. However, this is HIS beginning and continue to remember that you can support him but you can't do his work (sorry again). That is a lesson that took me eons to learn and I'm still only getting a grade of about a B for my work but that's alot better than the F- I could always be counted on getting. Support and open ears. That's about all we can do.

Hope today continues to go well. Does your son work/have a job? Not sure this ever was mentioned. Whether he does or not it's time that he rejoins the living and go to work or make finding a job his job. Just saying...not only a step toward being responsible, too much free time is really dangerous.

Peace,

Cat

Cat,

Well he is now on day 12 (well in 12 hours it will be 12 days clean) he is doing pretty good, still very shaky (his hands shake and his legs when he is sitting seem to twitch a lot) but other wise doing pretty good. He doesn't have a full time job, he does work for me. He does lawncare and cleans out house for me. He has an appointment with a drug counselor next week and also he is going to go to counseling. He has been talking a lot to me and his sisters over the last few days about everything, he is really proud of himself and I think it makes him feel good to talk about things (which for him is definitely a step in the right direction). He did something today that I think was definitely a step in the right direction, because of the way he has been feeling (shaky) he went to the doctors to get checked out (I went with him) and when the nurse asked him if he took any medications on a daily basis he said no, when she walked out of the room he looked at me and said boy that felt good to be able to say no, well when the doctor came in he asked him about his medical history and my son looked him straight in the eyes and said I am a recovering drug addict. The doctor congratulated him and he was just beaming, I really felt proud of him to be able to say that. Well its getting late but I wanted to let you know how he was doing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast