Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By DavidsStroy
help with hydrocodone withdrawals...
    badnKY is offline New Member

Default help with hydrocodone withdrawals...

I have reached a point in my life where I am tired of having to depend on this medicine. I have really gotten bad. I have been taking anywhere from 7 10mg loracets at a time twice a day, taking tramadol 50mg in between. I have decided to stop cold turkey. I am on my third day of quitting. The withdrawals haven't been what I expected. I know that God is helping me through this as well. I just wondered if there are any other suggestions for help. I can't go to detox. Its not an option. Generally how long do the withdrawals last? I have been having hot/cold stretches, thoughts of trying to get more medicine, shaking legs, generally cruddy feeling. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Freednc is offline New Member

Hey Badnky,

I am on my 2nd day off Norco (10mg hydro/ 325acet) I am having the same symptoms. Cold and clammy, cold sweats. trouble sleeping, all around acheyness. I expected much worse after taking these constantly everyday for over a year. Im not as much in pain as i am annoyed at how i feel. i would like to know how long it will last too. Hang in there man.
    -Nick

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by badnKY View Post
    I have reached a point in my life where I am tired of having to depend on this medicine. I have really gotten bad. I have been taking anywhere from 7 10mg loracets at a time twice a day, taking tramadol 50mg in between. I have decided to stop cold turkey. I am on my third day of quitting. The withdrawals haven't been what I expected. I know that God is helping me through this as well. I just wondered if there are any other suggestions for help. I can't go to detox. Its not an option. Generally how long do the withdrawals last? I have been having hot/cold stretches, thoughts of trying to get more medicine, shaking legs, generally cruddy feeling. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Google the Thomas Recipe. I'm not on my regular computer or I would give you the link. It's helped lots of people with opiate w/d symptoms. You'll get a whole page of links when do a google search on it. Or maybe someone will see this and post the link. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

i definitely understand where you are coming from. I have been at this for 2 years and it is tearing my family apart...i decided to go cold turkey because I have a wife and 2 beautiful daughters to take care of. I am in no pain whatsoever, just the habit of popping the pills and getting that "feeling"

FreedomForMe is offline Junior Member

I also understand I am 11 days cleans after over 5 yrs of 200 + vics a month I originally stopped 3/10 that lasted for about 5 days then I had a relaspe but it has been since 3/21/09 since my last vic. I honestly think the Thomas Recipe and DPLA (to help with pain) had a big part of me getting off, I also took hylands flu tablets which really helped me with the flu symptoms. If u just need to talk come here there is someone always on. Also I did force myself to take the dogs for a walk every now and then.

You can do it
    Julie

i am slowly but surely making it. i have found that to keep myself busy is the best solution for me. the hardest thing is that alot of the problems with easy access to the meds was at work, and i have to be around that environment every day. but with God's help, I am making it.

FreedomForMe is offline Junior Member

i am slowly but surely making it. i have found that to keep myself busy is the best solution for me. the hardest thing is that alot of the problems with easy access to the meds was at work, and i have to be around that environment every day. but with God's help, I am making it.
    That would make it very hard I honestly dont know if i could do that kudos to you! Stay stong and busy and enjoy today

Julie

hello guys...well here is to another day of being sober....just got to work, and it seems like the days are getting somewhat easier. the hardest part is not the craving. i actually have no craving for the medicine. its just the routine of popping them every few hours to overcome. otherwise...God is definitely taking me through this. without Him, I don't know what I would do. Thank you all for your support. since I have stopped, I have gotten another co-worker to quit the pills as well as stop smoking at the same time. He recently rededicated his life to the Lord.

God Bless you all

hello guys...well here is to another day of being sober....just got to work, and it seems like the days are getting somewhat easier. the hardest part is not the craving. i actually have no craving for the medicine. its just the routine of popping them every few hours to overcome. otherwise...God is definitely taking me through this. without Him, I don't know what I would do. Thank you all for your support. since I have stopped, I have gotten another co-worker to quit the pills as well as stop smoking at the same time. He recently rededicated his life to the Lord.

God Bless you all

It's very cool that you're doing so well. And it's always great news to hear about a brother who has begun to walk with the spirit again after being lost living in the flesh. Getting the RX pain pills entirely out of my life didn't happen until I got right with Christ as well. I've never wanted an opiate since. If you remain focused and really stay in the Word every day then you won't fail at this I promise. Good luck to you. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    It's very cool that you're doing so well. And it's always great news to hear about a brother who has begun to walk with the spirit again after being lost living in the flesh. Getting the RX pain pills entirely out of my life didn't happen until I got right with Christ as well. I've never wanted an opiate since. If you remain focused and really stay in the Word every day then you won't fail at this I promise. Good luck to you. God bless.
    I continue to grow in both word and spirit on a daily basis. God is the reason that my symptoms have been so diminished. He is a blessing. My Bible makes the journey with me to work on a daily basis, and is my answer to any question that I would ever have need of.

Freedom4me is offline Advanced Member

BadnKY,
    So glad you are doing well. God Bless

well its almost to the 1 week mark. today is my worst day so far. course that might have something to do with 20 degree drop in temperature in 1 days time. i have thought about the medicine today. i had my worst case of anxiety last night. took some nyquil...went to sleep and never thought about it anymore. hopefully things will continue to get better. I am sure they will

today is really trying me. i am afraid that i am going to slip up. i am so scared about that. my wife says if i slip up, she is taking our kids and leaving. i am really flipping out about this today.......

today is really trying me. i am afraid that i am going to slip up. i am so scared about that. my wife says if i slip up, she is taking our kids and leaving. i am really flipping out about this today.......

Did you actually do the things in the Thomas Recipe as recommended earlier? That really helps some.

As far as the cravings go you've got to have some faith in yourself. It was also a really good time for prayer for me too when I did it.

Cold turkey is tough but at least once this is over that will be it. But you'll have to deal with the cravings and such until you totally let it go. I have been in NA for years, then I found my way into church where everything changed for me. I don't event think about using any longer.

It's pretty simple though in your case. You're just like the rest of us. You can't use no matter what. Accept that, deal with it for ten minutes at a time, then an hour, then a day. Then do it again each day. Don't use no matter what especially not if you don't want your wife to leave with your family. That would do it for me right there. Good luck and God bless.

Anonymous Guest

Hi badnky
    your going to be OK your just thinking about this all wrong...start telling yourself your I'm going to do this and I wont settle for anything else...
    give yourself some positive things to think about..it will make allot of difference in the way you feel..It will give you your power back...
    hold strong...
    have a good night, Melinda

Freedom4me is offline Advanced Member

BadnKY,
    Don't give up. Please don't give up. You can make it through this and come out on the other side. Choose life! Stay on here and post when you get "that feeling". That's what I do and if you notice I am on here alot more lately ha ha. The farther I get from the w/d's the more it messes with my head. I know it will pass so I try to read or post here and if I can't I do something physical and the craving goes away in a few minutes. My hard part is that I haven't admitted to anyone (husband) that I still want the pills. He knew I went through the withdrawal because I took them for so long for my back and he thought that was that and was very proud of me for choosing to do it, which I did. I can't admit to him that I still think about it. I truley always thought I took them for pain, which I did, but I also liked how I felt and I think I confused the "high" and energy they gave me with being pain free. I realized that even though I am in pain, I can stand it and it's not the pain relief I miss but the "high". I learn more about myself every day. You can do it and so can I.

musicman48 is offline Senior Member

I have not read all of your posts.Attending an NA meeting would help you . Immediately following getting clean is when the NA meetings helped me the most.They kept me from a certain relapse..Cravings were extreme for me..Good luck.

Lurker625 is offline New Member

Cool Thank you

I have never posted before but really need to thank everyone on this board. Tomorrow will be my eighth day with no opiates. I didn't know how to detox but googled vicodin withdrawal and found this. I have lurked for about 2 weeks and decided to read everyday. I have had such tremendous help from this board and don't think I could have gone through the last week without it. I was using only 15 to 20 every day since 2005. Not a lot compared to others. I wanted off this merry go round for so long. Last year I overdosed on norco, I was in the hospital for 9 days on a breather, no one, not even my family knew why my lungs were so infected. After I was released I went right back. I was on the vicodin ultram train for so long. To this day no one knows why I was so sick. I have saved so much money this week alone by not calling everyone I know to buy vic. I am 49 years old and until the last year worked a professional job. I really want to thank everyone on this board especially Robert 325 and Melinda 7.5/ Don't stop what your doing you have no idea who you are helping,
    ME in what is supposed to be sunny California

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker625 View Post
    I have never posted before but really need to thank everyone on this board. Tomorrow will be my eighth day with no opiates. I didn't know how to detox but googled vicodin withdrawal and found this. I have lurked for about 2 weeks and decided to read everyday. I have had such tremendous help from this board and don't think I could have gone through the last week without it. I was using only 15 to 20 every day since 2005. Not a lot compared to others. I wanted off this merry go round for so long. Last year I overdosed on norco, I was in the hospital for 9 days on a breather, no one, not even my family knew why my lungs were so infected. After I was released I went right back. I was on the vicodin ultram train for so long. To this day no one knows why I was so sick. I have saved so much money this week alone by not calling everyone I know to buy vic. I am 49 years old and until the last year worked a professional job. I really want to thank everyone on this board especially Robert 325 and Melinda 7.5/ Don't stop what your doing you have no idea who you are helping,
    Hi lurker
    A week is great...things are going to get better from here...Im 49 also...and I was just talking about filling my closet with new clothes because I'm not buying pills...just keep looking into the future without pills...and think about how wonderful life is going to be...
    so how are you feeling and what have you been doing to stay clean...
    keep posting and let us know how your doing...
    Talk to you soon, Melinda

dezz1801 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker625 View Post

Hey Lurker! I just wanted to say congrats to you on your recovery. It's day by day, but it really does get better. Stay strong!

Des
    Shoot for the moon, because even if you miss, you'll land on the stars

JustQuitting is offline Junior Member

Putting in my congrats, too The longer I read here, the more it helps me. Wish I had more time to post, but I do read every night before I go to bed. Which should have been 1/2 an hour ago, lol. Anyway, keep up the good work L.

Anonymous Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JustQuitting View Post
    Putting in my congrats, too The longer I read here, the more it helps me. Wish I had more time to post, but I do read every night before I go to bed. Which should have been 1/2 an hour ago, lol. Anyway, keep up the good work L.
    Hi JQ
    I think your doing great at getting clean and helping others...
    keep up the good work
    Melinda

Lurker625 is offline New Member

Default Still feeling awful

Well it is 8 days today. I still feel awful, I don't have the burning pain in my body I had for the first 3 to 4 days, but I have no energy. In the last week I have slept so little, I am dragging during the day. When I first decided to go cold turkey I read about the Thomas Recipe but couldn't even go to the store to buy the ingredients. I didn't shower for 3 days either and pretty much stayed in bed. After the fourth day my youngest daughter came over to take care of me and she was convinced I was really ill and thought I needed fresh air. We walked 2 blocks and I stopped at the store and bought immodium. I have been walking 2 to 3 blocks for the last 3 days. It is almost impossible for me to get dressed, cause I'm still so miserable but I have to say that after I walk, I don't feel like laying on the couch I can actually sit up and converse with others. I pray to God that I can stay opiate free but I still have refills and every mornning I am tempted to call them in. How long before I can sleep, live normal, My mind feels so cloudy but I have great moments of clarity I want everything to be like it was before I fell in LOVE with Vicodin

JustQuitting is offline Junior Member

Just was wondering how you've been doing, Lurker. Hope the past 4 days have been a constant improvement with each passing one. I know it took me a good 2 weeks to feel almost completely normal again...And even after that length of time I could be quite b itchy every once in a while, lol.

Hey Melinda, thanks for the compliment. Pretty soon I'll have more time to be around. I see so many new posts by people, but with my work load lately I haven't had the time or energy to post much lately. (At least yesterday was my last Saturday of working until next year - YAY! :P ) Anyway, here's my quick hello & congrats to those that have been able to "just quit" too.
    How can you stand next to the truth and not see it?
    Oh, a change of heart comes slow...
    It’s not a hill, it’s a mountain
    As you start out the climb.
    Do you believe me or are you doubting?
    We’re gonna make it all the way to the light!

-U2

klopper22 is offline Member

Try not to keep your focus on fear, keep your eyes on Jesus and keep putting one foot in front of the other and you will get there even if you start to sink once in a while. One thing that has enabled me to fall in the past is looking too far ahead to what could or may happen and we just can't see that far. To avoid misstepping, we have to focus on each step where we are able to see.

Not to minimize your wife saying she will leave you, but mine said that too. I did slip up and she didnt leave. One reason she said she didnt is because she knew I was really trying and she knew that because I communicated constantly with her. Let your wife know it is hard when it gets hard. Ask her to pray for you. She needs to be aware of just how hard it can be so she will be capable of understanding in the event of a slip up. As your soul mate, she needs to have the opportunity to be part of this. Me and my wife have climbed many mountains together and we are pretty good climbing partners now.
    Last edited by klopper22; 04-13-2009 at 04:42 AM.

lynnrmorris is offline New Member

Default Please help!! Any advice?

Hi everyone, I just read everyones postings and I have to say, after experiencing one of the worst days of my life today, you guys are a huge relief! I dont feel so alone and all of your postings gave me hope that I just might be ok!
    But anyway I have been taking about 5-6 yellow 1000mg norcos a day non stp for about a year now, and ive gotten to the point where I need them just to feel normal. I had no intentions of quitting until I ran out yesterday morning, (i took my last 2) , and was planning on buying more today, but couldnt find any for sale. Iwoke up at 5 this morning with what I think was rls, and could not go back to sleep. I began withdrawls at about 12, and I didnt know what was wrong with me! As thr hours went by it got extremely worse, I couldnt stand up or else I got light headed, I can't easy, my heart was pounding rapidly, I strated shaking and crying non stop, I felt extremely nervous, and cold, then Igoogled withdrawl frim vicodin and realized Im in trouble. I never knew that you go through such extreme withdrawals! After today I want to stop taking these awful pills! I thought I was going to have a heart attack! I was told it was because I quit cold turkey, so I had my boyfriend find 9 pills for me to start tapering. My plan was to follow the thomas recipe while tapering, using vicodin instead of valium. Is this a good idea? I have 2 small children that I need to take care of while my boyfrienf works and I'm scared to death to go through those withdrawls again while I'm alone. I also have shortness of breath, and extreme heart burn. I'm so scared of this happening while I'm alone woth my boys, especially my youngest who requires alot of attention. I feel extremely depressed about letting myself get like this when I have 2 boys that depend on me, and my boyfriend doesnt seem to understand the severity of my situsation, nor is he very supportive so I feel very alone! Sry for the long posting but I need help!!! Someone please rrespond as soon as you can.thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnrmorris View Post
    Hi everyone, I just read everyones postings and I have to say, after experiencing one of the worst days of my life today, you guys are a huge relief! I dont feel so alone and all of your postings gave me hope that I just might be ok!
    But anyway I have been taking about 5-6 yellow 1000mg norcos a day non stp for about a year now, and ive gotten to the point where I need them just to feel normal. I had no intentions of quitting until I ran out yesterday morning, (i took my last 2) , and was planning on buying more today, but couldnt find any for sale. Iwoke up at 5 this morning with what I think was rls, and could not go back to sleep. I began withdrawls at about 12, and I didnt know what was wrong with me! As thr hours went by it got extremely worse, I couldnt stand up or else I got light headed, I can't easy, my heart was pounding rapidly, I strated shaking and crying non stop, I felt extremely nervous, and cold, then Igoogled withdrawl frim vicodin and realized Im in trouble. I never knew that you go through such extreme withdrawals! After today I want to stop taking these awful pills! I thought I was going to have a heart attack! I was told it was because I quit cold turkey, so I had my boyfriend find 9 pills for me to start tapering. My plan was to follow the thomas recipe while tapering, using vicodin instead of valium. Is this a good idea? I have 2 small children that I need to take care of while my boyfrienf works and I'm scared to death to go through those withdrawls again while I'm alone. I also have shortness of breath, and extreme heart burn. I'm so scared of this happening while I'm alone woth my boys, especially my youngest who requires alot of attention. I feel extremely depressed about letting myself get like this when I have 2 boys that depend on me, and my boyfriend doesnt seem to understand the severity of my situsation, nor is he very supportive so I feel very alone! Sry for the long posting but I need help!!! Someone please rrespond as soon as you can.thanks!

You can taper of the hydrocodone if you want, but the Thomas Recipe is a detox protocol and it works, only not with using hydrocodone. And the Norcos are NOT 1000mg, they are 10mg. If you do the Thomas Recipe and don't have valium or klonopin available you can substitute kava or valerian root, natural supplements. But don't do the Thomas Recipe and take hydrocodone. That is just prolonging your agony. Hope that helps. Also taking hot baths or showers at this point in the detox will help to relax you. You can do that several times a day. Will check on you after church today. God bless.
    Last edited by Robert_325; 12-18-2011 at 02:43 AM.

DavidsStroy is offline New Member

Smile 7 years Coming - Hydrocodone Addiction!!!!

I dont really know where to start but here we go.... About seven years i was small car wreck nothing major and my doctor gave me a script for 60 10mg hydros. Being that i was at the age of 23 years old and in college it didnt help. The pain was not that bad nothing i couldnt handle on my own buttttt....... they gave me a high and peace that i had THOUGT was the best thing in the World. This went on for 7years and if you are here on the forum you know you can get pill for almost any doctor its kinda sad really. If you just read that and got excited dont!!!!!!! I cant express how much I wish I could go back 7 years ago And change time but i cant. My life hadnt been that bad at all since i graduated college got married and have two wonderful boys during that time span but it could be much more than that. Chasing pills all the time takes its toll and the ups and downs suck. For the first 5 years i got my pills from the doctors but I hit a road block and went to the streets and was spending about $400 a month on my addiction the last two years. Two weeks ago I started my weening off not all by choice but b/c some suppliers were dry. If you are anything like me you know youve been wanting to quit but it was never the right time. A week of tapering down to splitting a 5mg in half a day I had already been through tough withdraws night sweats RLS and feeling tired. SOOO I decided i needed to go to the Doctor well I made a plan and setup an appointment. Then Something switched in my head and i told myself i was going to get something to help me detox. After not being able to sleep and drinking liquor to take the edge off I started looking at the internet at the forums and had an emotional fall out. I stayed up thinking, fighting myself whether I was going to get pills or help. Thank God for the people that post on here I decided to wake my wife up and let her know of my dirty little secret. IT Kinda sounds stupid but i laughed and cried more than the seven years prior when i told my wife....... I was on an emotional roller coaster now. I went to the doctor the next morning and told her everything. The doctor was so nice and i told her i didnt want subxone b/c people were getting addicted to that so she gave me buspirone 10mg. I had a adverse reaction to the medication and got shooting shocks through my arms and legs it sucked. Flying so lo again i decide to try the Thomas recipe which worked expect I took a over the counted sleep aid instead of a Xanax it worked. Make sure you dont drink you self sick with alcohol it will just make everything worse. I dont want to sugar Coat it withdrawing Sucks, but you will make it through it and reading these post when i was losing my mind helped so i wanted to give back and share my story. Ive been completely sober for a week and i feel like a million bucks. I remember Thinking while detoxing that i felt like i woulnt be the same person and i couldnt handle the world. STOP thinking that you will be better and your motor skills will come back!!!!! I remember being mad when i read someone was on their 5 to 7th day being sober b/c I felt like ???? and wanted to be where they were. You can do this and never look back I NEVER WILL, life and wonderful family r to important to me. I just teared up....... God thank for being able to feel emotions again
    Comeback Kid and goodwrench1 like this.

Comeback Kid is online now Senior Member

Well done David! Thank you for sharing. Keep it up!
    Hi my name is Adam, i'm an addict
    "Do you have another day 1 in you?"
    “If I can't win what sense does it make to fight?” -Father Martin on Step 1
    Clean as of 05.30.2014 (4:00pm)

lindenx is offline Member

I'm here too, day 13 approaching. Good decision Troy!