Having all my teeth extracted next week
    consuelocruz is offline New Member

Default Having all my teeth extracted next week

STARTING WITH the extraction of all my bottom teeth. Scared because I am on blood thinner, warifrin, since I suffered a stroke 5 years ago. Does anybody have any Info that will give me peace of mind?

FarEast is offline Member

Music with headphones as dentist does work . I have had many teeth removed from effects of life on pain meds as I have been frozen ... I want my pain back and can learn to not suffer but with meds it took away my pain but deliverd suffering 24/7 . Mouth heals quick and please not let your runaway thoughts of what's coming take you away from the present and how your mind will not only get you through this but give you strength if you can let go of rumination now and focus on other things like how good it will be when dental work completed . I have 4 more to pull as I awaken and write to myself but share with you ... This will pass and won't last if you can let go of the rumination and projecting and focus on blessings to balance . My new favorite word BALANCE .. All new to me and I work to stay in " I don't know mind so I not miss the present ... Thanks for posting your thread as dental issues BIG trigger for depression , anxiety and pain if we let it carry us from this moment and let us know more so we can keep you clear from getting tricked into addictive drugs ?

PS : walking or any exercise will keep mind more balanced and settle rumination & reifying ..
    Last edited by FarEast; 05-18-2013 at 12:48 AM. Reason: Added info

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by consuelocruz View Post
    STARTING WITH the extraction of all my bottom teeth. Scared because I am on blood thinner, warifrin, since I suffered a stroke 5 years ago. Does anybody have any Info that will give me peace of mind?

I would imagine the dentist would have you stop the warfarin for a week or so before surgery, to lessen the effects of the blood thinner during surgery, and make it easier to clot. (This is often done with an asprin products prior to surgery.) I suggest you ask him. As long as your doctor is fully aware that you are taking a blood thinner, you should be ok. Dentists are not as fully versed in prescription meds as an MD might be, so be sure he realizes this drug is a blood thinner.

Best wishes,
    Ruth

Thank you Ruth for the info. I appreciate your words very much!

Thank you Far East for your kind words. I will let everyone know how it goes for me. Again, thank you!

I had my bottom teeth extracted and it's only been two says and I am filled with anxiety and frustration. I am so hungry and realization that I cannot chew anything has me depressed. The swelling is awful. Please give me ideas as to what I can eat.

Izzn is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by consuelocruz View Post
    I had my bottom teeth extracted and it's only been two says and I am filled with anxiety and frustration. I am so hungry and realization that I cannot chew anything has me depressed. The swelling is awful. Please give me ideas as to what I can eat.
    How are you doing now, hon? "soupy" mashed potatoes with butter or gravy would be good. Of course, applesauce, puddings etc. What about some very loose scrambled eggs? Very well cooked veggies, like broccoli or green beans would mash up nicely especially with some butter. I sometimes stir cranberry sauce and plain yogurt together for something different. How is your pain?

FarEast is offline Member

Protien shakes a few times a day ... Whey Protien with lots of cut up fruit and yogurt ... Banana and pineapple help, lots of ice all in blender . The smoootheee is cold and soothing to teeth and mouth with 40 grams of Protien .

Thank you Lzzn and FarEast for suggestions. They have really helped me out. It's been a a week since the extractions and most of the swelling is gone. Pain is level is manageable now. I miss chewing so much, lol!!!!!

Thank you everyone for all your kind words and great suggestions.I feel so much better and am at peace with the idea of getting my upper teeth extracted in the next couple of weeks. My oral surgeon says it will take about eight weeks to start the procedures to be fitted for dentures.