Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By TexasGirlKatie
  • 3 Post By ComingHome
  • 1 Post By Robert_325
Hair Follicle Test, Codeine
    rsr1123 is offline New Member

Default Hair Follicle Test, Codeine

So I have been working for this company for 3 years part time. I have just turned 21 and am able to go full time. I went to a 3 part interview for full time, and have passed with flying colors. Within the next 2 to 3 weeks I will begin training, but I first need to take a hair follicle drug test.

In the middle of november, around the 14th or 15th my mom had a bad cough/cold and was prescribed cough syrup with codeine.

About a week later, I came down with something similar, and took 2 tablespoons(1 in the morning and another in the evening) the first day along with some ibuprofen. The next day, my dad had told me it(codeine) would show up in a drug test so I stopped taking it.

It has been about 30 days since I last took it, and it will be about 40-50 days when the drug test is administered. I understand that they usually take the newest 1.5 inches of hair, and that this goes back about 90 days depending on the person.
    I am worried I will fail this test, but I wasn't even abusing the drug.

I have smoked marijuana, but since I knew this job would require a hair follicle test, I quit that about 5 months ago, so it has been well over 120 days since I last toked.

Also I have had 3 haircuts since then, so I am only worrying about the codeine.

So, do you guys think I will pass, or If I do fail, do i produce a prescription or something, I am worried please help.

And, would I be able to produce my moms prescription, If I am not able to obtain one before the test date?

SomeDay is offline Member

Go to Walgreens and buy a home hair follicle test kit. You basically cut the hair yourself, mail it in anonymously, and then call in for the results. I had to do one of these years ago, and good thing because I was positive for various substances, and didn't want that on my record.

As for the substances, it's very hard to say with hair follicle tests. If you value the job, then I would do one of these tests first just to be sure.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

A hair follicle test is just that. They test the follicle, they don't just cut off a piece of hair. It is literally pulled out by the follicle. It will go back MONTHS and tell everything that you've consumed during that time.

Hair follicle tests are almost impossible to beat. They can check you for six months back easily. And if you shave the hair off your body it's an automatic FAIL.

Sometimes when you play you have to pay. Sorry but these tests are the most accurate of all. Good luck, but if I were subject to a hair follicle test and valued my job I wouldn't use. You will be busted eventually if you persist in using. And marijuana lasts longer than anything you can use.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

ok, well im not sure you read everything I posted.

I did smoke marijuana, but that was 5 months ago. I have had haircuts since then. I have done extensive research on hair follicle testing, and I have quit marijuana for good because that was just a phase in my life and I am ready to move on. I also didn't know that I would need to take a hair follicle test to go full time, as I already passed a urinalysis 2 years ago in order to start working part time.

I am not worried about passing the test for marijuana because I know I will pass that no problem. I'm just asking if two tablespoons of tylenol with 20mg codeine will effect my drug test in any way. I was not abusing the drug, I was using it because I was sick, and it was my moms prescription so I didnt think anything of it at the time, until my dad told me to stop using.

So really, does anyone know if that small amount of codeine that was in the cough syrup will adversely effect my test results??
    Last edited by rsr1123; 12-12-2011 at 12:56 PM.

RSR,

What Robert is saying....is that your haircuts, are simply not a factor in this equation. They test the follicle which is located in the dermis (skin, the scalp). He is also saying, they can go back SIX months (so therefore, your marijuana use 5 months ago will probably show up)

Also, YES your codeine use will show up.

They won't care if it was your mother's prescription, it was not YOURS.

Just chalk it up as a learning experience, and grow from it. Now you know that in the future...don't take someone else's prescriptions, and if you care about drug tests, don't do drugs.
    Denny_D and Robert_325 like this.

hmm, well maybe im wrong on the type of drug test, because my friend who had his test, just had an inch cut off from the base of his scalp.

They didn't pluck or anything or use the follicle, it was just hair. And on the frito lay site, they say their hair test only goes back 3 months.

I;d also like to say, that my friend who did pass his hair test, smoked one a month prior to this test, but he passed. And I was wondering if this was because the amount he used was small.(about 1 or 2 hits) Like I said, i only took one prescribed dosage of the stuff as it said on the bottle. (2 tablespoons.)

And I never really thought that taking my moms prescription was bad, as in my house usually when someone got sick, atleast one or two other people in the house would get it and we would use their script if it hadnt all ran out. Thats always how it has been in our house atleast for coughs/colds. I wasn't "using drugs," as you say, I was just trying to get better so I could go to school and do my job.
    Last edited by rsr1123; 12-12-2011 at 02:19 PM.

I have taken two different hair follicle tests before, and neither time did they actually pluck any hair. They simply cut it off. So unless something has changed recently, I would assume that this is the way they still do it.

As for the use, you were using it because you were sick. Unfortunately since it was prescription, and not prescribed to you, they won't see it that way. To them it won't be any different than using >>>>>> that was lying around the house. There is no way for us to tell you for sure if that amount of codeing will show up. Like I said, go get one of the self test kits just to be sure.

I'm sorry, I'm not an expert. Just giving you the basic knowledge I have. Robert, however, is quite wise.

Best of luck to you.

*Remember to learn something from everything.

ComingHome is online now Senior Member

A true hair follicle test will actually pluck the hair. A hair follicle by definition is inside the scalp, therefore needs to be plucked in order to test it. So, perhaps they are just doing a hair test in the other cases where they cut it. If they called it a hair follicle test but only cut it, they mislabeled the test. There, hopefully that will clear up the technicality side of this debate. :-)

That said, if it is just a hair test, obviously that will not go back nearly as far. A true follicle test, where they actually pluck it, can detect weed sometimes from 6 months to a year. It sounds like they are just cutting enough hair to test for the last few months though, but I agree that it is likely that the codeine will show up. I definitely wouldn't show your mom's prescription and say you took that since that is a federal offense, believe it or not, and you might be getting yourself into more trouble actually.

CH
    There is ALWAYS hope

Denny_D is offline Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by ComingHome View Post
    A true hair follicle test will actually pluck the hair. A hair follicle by definition is inside the scalp, therefore needs to be plucked in order to test it. So, perhaps they are just doing a hair test in the other cases where they cut it. If they called it a hair follicle test but only cut it, they mislabeled the test. There, hopefully that will clear up the technicality side of this debate. :-)

That said, if it is just a hair test, obviously that will not go back nearly as far. A true follicle test, where they actually pluck it, can detect weed sometimes from 6 months to a year. It sounds like they are just cutting enough hair to test for the last few months though, but I agree that it is likely that the codeine will show up. I definitely wouldn't show your mom's prescription and say you took that since that is a federal offense, believe it or not, and you might be getting yourself into more trouble actually.

CH
    Coming Home is EXACTLY correct in the defination! Robert and Katie are also both correct as well! I wish you the very best. God Bless.....Denny

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Really people, why would they call it a hair follicle test if they didn't use the follicle? Use your heads! They pluck the hair and check the follicle plain and simple! If they didn't they would calll it a "hair trim" test or something else. A hair follicle is under the skin and that is the only way to get to the follicle. If you think that we are wrong on this then you are confused. That is how they do a hair follicle test. It's just common sense. GEESH!!!!
    TexasGirlKatie likes this.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

ok, well like I said, my friend and other people at the company have said that they cut hair, sometimes from the head, and other times from the leg arm or armpit hair. They do no plucking of any sort. It is cut. I said hair follicle from the beginning but I guess I was wrong, as they DO NOT USE THE FOLLICE.

But anyways, sorry if I'm acting like an idiot, but I am very stressed. I do not want to test positive, and not be able to get another job for 2 years. That would ruin my life, and I don't expect that any good would come out of it.

I'm just very scared, and I'm hoping it is urine, because when I started full time for the company 2 years ago I took urine for my pre-screen. Also, I feel the amount I took is very low and am just hoping that by some crazy chance or miracle, i do not test positive.

I also ready many labs test for patterns of use, which can be seen within the hair. For example if you used the drug once, or heavy use. Can anyone confirm this?
    Last edited by rsr1123; 12-12-2011 at 04:03 PM.

Sorry rsr1123

Your thread is being taken over by the usual bickering among members. However, whether it's called a hair follicle test, or hair cut test, or whatever, i'm just letting you know that the two I have taken over the years were called "hair follicle" tests by the testing companies and "cut" samples of my hair. I did not make up the name "hair follicle" test. That's what the testing companies call it. Below I have posted some information from another website explaining the process.

And no the hair follicle does not come out when a hair is plucked. If you figured out how to make that happen, then you have just made yourself rich because you have discovered a method of permanent hair removal by simply plucking the hair. Unfortunately that is not the case. The bulb of the hair comes out when plucked, which sits inside the follicle, but not the follicle itself.

Sorry again for the onslaught of posts. People are quick to attack here when they think they know something that others don't, or simply disagree with a statement. But there is also alot of good information and stories here, so keep posting. Again, back to your original question, I think there is a good chance that the codeine will show up, so plan your next steps accordingly. Good luck.

This page will supply you with hair follicle drug test information. First off, many refer to a hair test as a hair follicle drug test. Know that the hair follicle is not actually tested, but it’s the hair strand that’s tested. The hair follicle is part of your scalp in which your hair grows out from. The hair follicle can not be removed without a surgical procedure (the hair follicle is removed and transplanted in hair restoration surgery). So while this page gives hair follicle drug test information, as it’s so commonly called, now you know the hair strand is the only thing that’s analyzed in a hair drug test.

Many of the labs that give hair tests have accurate hair follicle drug test information on their websites about how hair drug tests work. But we will show you this information just for the sake of being complete.
    Just know that any drug metabolites (what your body converts the ingested drugs into), are carried throughout your blood vessels and deposited at the Papilla (which generates the hair strand).

As the papilla generates the hair strand, the drug metabolites deposited at the papilla are grown into the cortex, or middle region of the hair.

When discussing hair follicle drug test information, it’s important to understand more about what’s going on in the cortex, since this is a key component of hair testing.

The cortex (center of the hair strand) is densely packed with keratin proteins and pigments. And as the drug metabolites are grown into the hair strand, they are now in the cortex as well. This why you can not just shampoo your hair and pass a hair follicle drug test.

More Hair Follicle Drug Test Information

Without getting too technical, a hair drug test is done by clipping (not plucking in most cases) the hair about 1/8” from the scalp, taking about 1.5” of hair (most labs will work with 1” of hair since many people wear their hair short).

The hair is then washed thoroughly (the reason why masking products no longer work), and then dissolved in a solvent. The drug metabolites become separated out of the hair and then can be read and detected.

AmIanAddict is offline Member

No offense Someday, but you are talking about others bickering, and then you went on to write 10 paragraphs about the subject. I was LOL into the 2nd paragraph. Everybody take a chill pill. But, for the record, I've had a hair follicle test, and they plucked it. Robert, CH, and Denny are technically correct that in order to get the follicle, it must be plucked - otherwise, it isn't technically a hair follicle test. OK, that's enough LOL

Quote Originally Posted by SomeDay View Post
    Sorry rsr1123

Your thread is being taken over by the usual bickering among members. However, whether it's called a hair follicle test, or hair cut test, or whatever, i'm just letting you know that the two I have taken over the years were called "hair follicle" tests by the testing companies and "cut" samples of my hair. I did not make up the name "hair follicle" test. That's what the testing companies call it. Below I have posted some information from another website explaining the process.

And no the hair follicle does not come out when a hair is plucked. If you figured out how to make that happen, then you have just made yourself rich because you have discovered a method of permanent hair removal by simply plucking the hair. Unfortunately that is not the case. The bulb of the hair comes out when plucked, which sits inside the follicle, but not the follicle itself.

Sorry again for the onslaught of posts. People are quick to attack here when they think they know something that others don't, or simply disagree with a statement. But there is also alot of good information and stories here, so keep posting. Again, back to your original question, I think there is a good chance that the codeine will show up, so plan your next steps accordingly. Good luck.

This page will supply you with hair follicle drug test information. First off, many refer to a hair test as a hair follicle drug test. Know that the hair follicle is not actually tested, but it’s the hair strand that’s tested. The hair follicle is part of your scalp in which your hair grows out from. The hair follicle can not be removed without a surgical procedure (the hair follicle is removed and transplanted in hair restoration surgery). So while this page gives hair follicle drug test information, as it’s so commonly called, now you know the hair strand is the only thing that’s analyzed in a hair drug test.

Many of the labs that give hair tests have accurate hair follicle drug test information on their websites about how hair drug tests work. But we will show you this information just for the sake of being complete.
    Just know that any drug metabolites (what your body converts the ingested drugs into), are carried throughout your blood vessels and deposited at the Papilla (which generates the hair strand).

As the papilla generates the hair strand, the drug metabolites deposited at the papilla are grown into the cortex, or middle region of the hair.

When discussing hair follicle drug test information, it’s important to understand more about what’s going on in the cortex, since this is a key component of hair testing.

The cortex (center of the hair strand) is densely packed with keratin proteins and pigments. And as the drug metabolites are grown into the hair strand, they are now in the cortex as well. This why you can not just shampoo your hair and pass a hair follicle drug test.

More Hair Follicle Drug Test Information

Without getting too technical, a hair drug test is done by clipping (not plucking in most cases) the hair about 1/8” from the scalp, taking about 1.5” of hair (most labs will work with 1” of hair since many people wear their hair short).

The hair is then washed thoroughly (the reason why masking products no longer work), and then dissolved in a solvent. The drug metabolites become separated out of the hair and then can be read and detected.

Quote Originally Posted by AmIanAddict View Post
    No offense Someday, but you are talking about others bickering, and then you went on to write 10 paragraphs about the subject. I was LOL into the 2nd paragraph. Everybody take a chill pill. But, for the record, I've had a hair follicle test, and they plucked it. Robert, CH, and Denny are technically correct that in order to get the follicle, it must be plucked - otherwise, it isn't technically a hair follicle test. OK, that's enough LOL
    Actually I copied it from another website as I indicated. But since im up against the drugs.com posse here, it is pointless to continue. Anybody interested in the answer can google it!