Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Getting off pain meds
    Hellweek is offline Member

Default Getting off pain meds

Hello,

I have been perscribed pain meds for a problem with my neck that requires an operation.

I have been putting of the operation for almost 2 months now and durring this time I have been perscribed Vicodin 5/500 and when they no longer worked the doctor changed it to 7.5/350. I guess this should have been a warning sign for me.

The pain meds have been taking the pain away but at a cost. The cost is the constant fog of the meds. I decided at this point that I will deal with the pain a different way. I decided to stop taking them.

Yesterday was my last dose that I took, I tossed the rest in the bottle and do not plan on taking advantage of my refils.

The problem I am having is I feel real bad now 24 hours after my last dose. My joints hurt, my muscles hurt, and the pain that was the reason for taking pain meds seems amplified.

In looking around I happened to hit this site and well I guess based on my symptoms I am in withdrawl.

I am at work, cant focus, in pain and reconsidering the idea of stoping.

I guess the question I have, is how long should I expect to feel this bad? Should I just take the pills?

I guess I know the anwer, I need to stop, they are bad bad bad. However, I feel really bad right now and do not know if I can fight this without some support.
    Last edited by ddcmod; 04-20-2010 at 01:16 PM.

Freedom4me is offline Advanced Member

Hellweek,
    Just hang in there. You have about 2 or 3 more days of feeling bad and then it should start to get better. You are doing the right thing. I was in the same situation. I have been off the meds now for over a year. You can do it. You just have to be tough. I am proud of you for throwing those pills away, not an easy choice! The withdrawals can make you doubt your choice but don't let it get in your head. Just tell yourself you have the flu for a couple days and treat it accordingly.

Thanks for the words of support. I feel so stupid for getting myself into this position. I am trying as hard as I can not to phone in a refill. Just thowing away the bottle is one thing, but not calling for more will be harder.

As of right now I feel the pain meds leaving my system, it is a strange feeling I have. My arms feel numb, legs all cramped up. The pain for why I started taking the meds is killing me.

I do hope I make it past this Morning. Yes, at this point I am taking it hour by hour.

Man, this is so bad. I do not know how so many of you managed to drop this addiction. Every part of my body is screaming at me to take some more, some more.

I have called my doctor and told him what I am doing, I told him I have to get off the meds and I have asked him to call the pharmacy and void my refills.

He thinks I am nuts, because of the damage in my neck. But I simply can not live with the effects of the pain meds. I never thought quiting them would be worse then the pain.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Take it minute by minute if you have to. You can do anything for four days. It's your life that you're talking about. Hang in there. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Hellweek,
    Good for you! That is outstanding and a big step. It's mind over matter. It will only get worse to get off of them if yoou keep taking them. I promise. It is inevitable that you will need more and more to relieve your pain. It's the nature of the beast, and it is a beast.

Anonymous Guest

Hi Hellweek
    I just wanted to jump in and give you my support also.we have all been right where you are,so listen to Robert and Freedom it will be over soon...
    try to keep your mind busy and think about how good you will feel when this is over.
    just let the time pass..
    talk to you soon, Melinda

I hpoe people do not mind but I am finding it better to post my thoughts here then let my mind wander.

I realy do not expect answers, but these are the thoughts I have at the moment.

Why do doctors give these meds away if the effect of stopping them are worse then the pain you started with?

Why is it that using the pills as perscribed have placed me with a drug dependacy?

Why is it that I feel like my body is on fire and my joints are so sore?

Why is it that no matter what I do I can not eat. Do not even feel hungry. How much weight will I loose. Cant afford much more weight loss at this point. I noticed these Vicodin are good for loosing weight.

Will I ever feel better? From what I see, if I can just make it 2-3 more days things will get better.

I know many of you are laughing at me because my addiction is nowhere near what other people were taking and as for long as others. I do not know how you guys did it.

Argggg, the pain, the joints, now my legs are acting up. Feel weak. dont like this feeling.

Wow,

thanks for the support guys. I am truly blessed to have found this place. I no longe rhave access to refills, I have been informed.

I think this is prob the best thing to do. Now, I no longer can think about calling and just picking up another 100.

I am happy I came to work. I almost called off because of how sick I feel. I knew sitting at home would be worse. At least here I am forced to do something and not just lay around letting my mind take over.

The support here is helping, just knowing people are reading and understanding what I am dealing with is a great help.

Reading it seems I could be stopping without many side affects. Just seems so long. I think I will just continue this "cold turkey" way of quiting.

Today after work my daughter and I plan on going GeoCaching, I hope that I feel good enough to do this. Might just have to force myself, fresh air seems like a good idea.

As of now it seems the motrin is helping with the muscle and joint pain, drank a red bull and the fog has lifted some.

I see many people have used bynadryl to help with symptoms, I think I will pick some up tonight and see if it helps.

I do have some SOMA I suspect I should not take them anymore also? What do you all think about them? Are they addictive to?

I guess i need to talk to my wife and let her know I am addicted to pain meds. Do not know how she will take this.
    Last edited by Hellweek; 04-20-2010 at 10:55 AM.

Uggg counting the hours until work is over.

I am so drained and void of all energy I honeslty do not know how I made it through the day.

I hope I feel somewhat better tomorrow, if not I might just need to stay home.

Hellweek,
    You probably won't feel better tomorrow. It is usually not until the 4th day that you feel a little better but everyone is different. Might not be bad to say you have the flu. Hang in there. You will get there kiddo!

mottam is offline Advanced Member

H-week:
    Welcome.
    I am just popping in to offer you my support.
    Many have been where you are at, and have beaten this demon.
    Like you have been advised, take it 10 minutes at a time if you have to. As long as you do not use, that will be 10 minutes closer to getting this stuff out of your system.

Before you know it, the weekend will be here, and you will be at ~ day 5. Many people on here seem to start to see some positive results (some really positive results) by day 7. Think about it - by Monday next week, the w/ds can/should be over. Most of our issues after that is how to get the energy level back. Exercise works great for that.

For right now - focus on getting through the w/d. You have a lot of support and sound advice - stay strong.

Kindest Regards
    mottam

TriedandTired is offline Member

You are in a better spot than most if you dont have the mental obsession. That makes it 100xs harder when you have your brain screaming for more at any cost.

kookalinMD is offline Junior Member

Hellweek-
    Awesome name...so fitting How is your w/d process coming along? What day are you on...or should I say "hour", since days seem like an eternity when your in withdrawal. Ugh it is just a little piece of hell on earth, isn't it?

Don't think anyone is laughing at you because you haven't experienced some of the "hard-core" medications. I've only been on percocet, myself. Never been drunk, never touched drugs and avoided even advil until about 4 years ago when I was diagnosed with a very rare and complicated disease.Since then I've been up and down with the pain meds but BY FAR at its worst in the past 6 months. So I had to make a decison to stop.

Thanks for the kind words and support. I'm around hour 53....but who's counting

Well, I do not know how I managed but I went Geocaching with my daughter. It is a standard thing we do every night we can. I felt real bad, like I just wanted more. Yes, I tend to be strong willed but so does this monkey.

WE did our caching and we she noticed something was not right. I explained how I had gotten addicted to the pain meds I was taking. She gave me her support and had a good cry about it.

I am home now, still feel so bad, everyting hurts, nerves are so sensitive. I dooke some bynadril and a mega dose of Alive. I am hoping for the best with this combo.

I do thank everyone for the support and keeping me going. I am sure if I an make it the next few hours things will be better.

Yes, I am taking it by the hour, and yes if I have to I will take it by the minute. It would be real tempting to take the next few days off. Something tells me sitting around all day will make this worse.

At this point I dont know what is worse, the craving to get more. The flu like sickness. The total body muscle pains. The joint pain. Not to mention the pain that started this mess in the first place.

Well I am done with my rant for now, Time for me to focus on something. I must stay up and moving around.

Tomorrow will be day 2. Day 2. I have very mixed feelings. Most of me will be happy it has been 2 days. However, a part of me dreads what tomorrow brings. I suspect that that part of me that does not want tomorrow just needs to shut up I must remain positive that tomorrow will somehow be better then today. At least I am not taking pills.

I do thank everyone for the help and support, it does help.
    Last edited by Hellweek; 04-20-2010 at 07:27 PM.

Yep, today is worse. I feel like death.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Hellweek View Post
    Yep, today is worse. I feel like death.

As badly as you feel you won't die. You've got a few days of hell to go through then things will get better every day. It's the fastest, best way to get clean. I don't know your beliefs but this is when I began to pray. What have you got to lose but a bad habit? Hang in there. You never have to use again. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Catrina is offline Advanced Member

Dear Hellweek,

Just dropping by to give you some support. You're doing a great job and hoorah for you that you're able to keep moving, working, etc. Not an easy feat at this stage of your withdrawal! Good for you, too being able to share this with your daughter. Isn't it amazing that while when we find ourselves in a situation such as this we are so ashamed of ourselves while those who love us feel none of that only love, compassion and their desire to make things easier for us. It is such a relief to share things. So important to be honest and when we don't need to hide how horrific we're feeling, that's one less huge thing that we're burdened with.

From my experience, the next couple days will be the worst. Honestly, for me the process was that Day one was little more than a nuisance and then things started to go downhill for the next few days. Everyone is a bit different, but again for me, there wasn't a gradual "getting better". When I got out of bed for the day on Day 5, it was as though someone had flipped a switch and my symptoms were all but gone! All the discomfort, anyway. The lackluster hung around for a little longer and my motivation was still not what I wanted it to be. Those parts were more gradual in returning for me. The good news for you is that it seems that you haven't been using for too long so hopefully you'll regain your energy more quickly. However it goes, just remember it's all worth it and the worst of it will be over in just a few days. Others before me gave you the best advice of all and I will echo it now...one minute at a time if that's what it takes...it puts you one minute closer to feeling better and putting this nightmare behind you.

Keep posting. You're doing great and you'll find support and fellowship here anytime you need it.

Peace,

Cat

Everything is foggy, one minute I feel ok the next it is like well I can not explain it. Did not even attempt work today. Would not have got anything done.

No I wont die, this is true, but I do know I will never ever deal with this again.

I can honestly understand why some people like to do these drugs for fun. I see how easy to abuse them would be. I followed orders, I took no more then what I was perscribed. I was told they were safe.

To be honest, they felt safe. The took the pain away, the problem is they were taking other parts of my life away also. I find myself waiting for the next dose, I suspect that at times I took them even without totaly needing them. I guess it was the fear of the pain.

No, I have not been on them long when I think back it has only been 2 months of use. I suspect I am lucky in that I saw what they were doing and decided to stop.

Do I reget the choice. Right now I do, it would be so easy to make this pain go away. So easy to get the doctor to refill. Will I slip at this point.

No not only do I need to do this for me. I also need to show my daughter what addiction does, let her see the pain I am in. I am sure she will never abuse or want these types of drugs.

Did I ask to be addicted? Do any of us ask? No, but it is how we deal with the addiction and the after effects that count.

I know there is light at the end of this, I have hope, I have help, I have support. The rest is up to me.

I do not know if I will get the strength to get out of bed again, but please your posts help. Knowing that this dark path is not traveled alone is great comfort.

Stay clean, and keep working it for everyone else who is working like me to get clean.

H-week:
    Great attitude - keep up your desire to move forward.
    You are going to be emotional right now - big ups and downs. Know that it is temporary; it is part of the w/d process.

Whenever you feel thoughts racing through your mind - post. This is your "e-journal", so post away.

You have the support and understanding of this entire community/family.

Keep up the great work - stay strong.

Kindest Regards
    mottam

Well the day is almost over, in a few hours I will attempt slep. I am not sure what to think at this point.

My WD symptoms seem to be getting better. The fog is lifting, my body seems to be trying to dump the toxic stuff that was building up.

I do not know if this is the calm before the storm, but I am happy to have the few hours of freedom from the pain.

Had to add some thoughts.

Today started real bad. Pain was crazy, had tons of cramping. Once my body started dumping the toxins it seemed like each visit I had with the bathroom actualy made me feel better.

I have decided to let nature take its course and will not do anything to stop my body from dumping what it feels it needs to dump. The fact that each time lessons my WD makes me feel that this is the correct action.

Do not worry, I am drink more then I am getting rid of. I actualy ate for the first time in a few days. Tast was not great, but to be eating tells me things are getting better.

My mind is clear, I think it is clearer then it has been in some time. Today I actualy welcome the pain, I welcome it because at least I can feel.

Friends, I am almost free. I am so excited, I am actualy giddy.

A few more days and I will be free of the monkey.

reckless1 is offline Junior Member

stay strong and keep looking ahead like everyone said when this is over you wont never have to do it again.just think back on how bad u feel right now and thats enough to make u want to stay clean,thats what gets me thru believe me

Well today is not perfect, but it is better. The fog is lifting and I am starting to feel better. I called in sick today but went in to work anyhow. I felt getting back up and moving is better then the little discomfort I have.

Today starts a new WD symptom. Yawns, I simply can not stop yawning. I expect to make it today. I expect to actualy get some work done.

I also suspect from what I have read here that I got of easy and this could have been worse then it is.

From what everyone says in a few more days the WD symptoms will be gone.

This was a learning experiance for myself and others around me.

I still need to deal with the issues that put me on this ride. I still need to deal with the pain.

Thanks will post again soon.

HW,
    You are doing great. Hang in there because you are almost through it!!

Work is going well today, hour by hour I feel the old me coming back.

My last dose was Monday at 10:00 AM. I suspect my WD started sometime in the night while I slept.

I still have some cramps, still moments of joint pain but I am up and doing what I need to do.

I actualy got some programming done today and I am soooo hungry today. Think I will go eat a cow.

I suspect by this weekend I will be done with part one of this recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellweek View Post
    Work is going well today, hour by hour I feel the old me coming back.

My last dose was Monday at 10:00 AM. I suspect my WD started sometime in the night while I slept.

I still have some cramps, still moments of joint pain but I am up and doing what I need to do.

I actualy got some programming done today and I am soooo hungry today. Think I will go eat a cow.

I suspect by this weekend I will be done with part one of this recovery.
    hw:
    Great to hear.
    Stay focused, and stay strong.
    The appetite will come back, as will the sleep.

REM: There will be ups and downs. Understand them for what they are - part of the w/d - recovery process.

Best of luck.
    mottam

Day is quickly coming to and end. 3 more hours of work and I get to go home.

Leg cramps, runs, and the ever so slight flu like feeling. I plan on going Geocaching after work with my daughter. She is very happy that I have made it this far without going back to the pills.

To be honest, so am I. Rereading some of my posts it is clear my mind was all over the place. The pain that started this I am finding is not so bad that I can not manage some other way.

I can not thank everyone enough for keeping me going, telling me I am doing great even when I felt I was not.

In the future I will think very very hard before taking any pain meds for any length of time.

I realize I was lucky, next time I might not be.

One thing that does have me worried.

Why do I not crave the drug? To be honest, the thought of taking one of them makes me sick.

I expected some strong cravings to hit, is this something that will happen later?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast