Get me off Morphine Please
    lainey is offline New Member

Default Get me off Morphine Please

Hi, This is my first time here. I did a search on Morphine Sulfate and its problems and it let me to you guys. Here is the deal. I have been on and off pain meds since the 70's. I find them mostly useless unless you are very very careful. A couple years ago, based on this general idea, my neuro doc decided we should try a different approach, Morphine in its time released form. He first put me on the one where you take it once every 12 hours. I told him after about 3 months that it was making me too drowsy, couldn't do anything. So he swithed me to 3 every 8 of a lesser dose. I seemed to be doing ok with that until I had this horrible experience at ER when I went in last fall, for extreme pain from an unknown sorce.
    I need to fill in a couple facts I guess at this point. The reason I started on this "trip" was because I had a buldging disk, the famous L5, buldging out both sides. At the time the orthopedics said it had to be depression because no one has this "going on" on both sides. Well, time passed and the disc ruptured... out both sides. Guess who beleved me then after going in surgacally and doing an lamenictomy...ha. And also at time of the onset of this problem, I acquired Sacral Spondolosis. It took a PT to tell me what it was.
    All the surgeons wanted to tell me is that "your sacrum does not move"..ha Mine was spinning like a planet. Like when in bathtub, it felt like I was sitting on a big rock. And the pain and irratation was incredible. Who fixed it? I did. One doc who realized finally what it was, said had they known they could have pinned it when they >> the other surgery..but..anyway. How did I fix it? I started walking, and walking after my surgery. When I couldn't get out and walk, I walked around in circles in my house. A friend had told me about how our bodies have natural inforphens and that if you work hard enough at it, in about 20 mins, they kick in and you will feel great. I found that to be true and in the process, I stablized my sacrum. Now I go into a panic if I get laid up with something because I know if I ever lose that muscle tone there again, it will start spinning again. So far so good.
    Anyway, covers the orgin of the pain except that I have osteo arthritis and fibromyalgia. So whats to be surprised that I was fouond to have coronary heart desease and coronary artery desease. I had one 80 percent blockage, got two stints and am currently sporting a 60 percent in my karated artery? So now we get to what my current issue is.
    I was in ER for this unidentifable pain, in so much pain I could not talk hardly. They proceeded to take my BP in the arm that sports the blockage. It barely reads and they can barely if at all, find a pulse. So, long story short (about time huh) they thought my claim to pain was totally fictious and when they saw that I took morphine, well do I need to say more? Needless to say, treated poorly was an understatement.
    Hense, I made the decision recently that I want to get off the morphine. And it goes without saying that its a "bugger".. Doing this also has made me realize that I was actually going thru a mild wittdrawal from almost the beginning because I have a hard time remembering to take meds and so was going too long, still am.. and its really raised heck with my life.. I want off!! To me it just isn't worth it. And in my opinion, yes there is another option I have found, it is called distraction. You keep yourself busy with other things, whatever it is matters not as long as it distracts you. It really works.
    Well, hope didn't go over my word limit or scare too many off with my rabling. Did I mention I want off Morphine... help !! please excuse all my typos and mispelled words, I have multible problems but thats really not usually one.. cept when I get excited about something... where is spell check anyways lol..thanks for listening Lainey
    <div align="left"></div >>="left">

Cats Meow is offline Banned

What I do is paste my message to my Outlook Express email, run spell check and paste back.
    I'm not sure I understand, you said walking helped cure your problem and helped take away the pain, so then why do you need to take the morphine? Are you just addicted to the morphine and need advice how to get off of it? If that's it, can you try to taper off and attempt to quit, have you tried?

^..^ ~~ ,
    =´`= ___ )-~

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

Cats, what she is referring to there, as the help from walking, is our bodies natural Endorphins, she just spelled it wrong, which, if you aren't familiar with the info on them, makes it hard to know what she is talking about. However, when you just hear a word, and haven't seen it written, then it is hard to guess the correct spelling for stuff like that.

Endorphins are a natural part of our body chemistry. They are produces by both the Hypothalmus and pituitary gland. From an online defintion at Wikipedia, they very strongly resemble opiates in their analgesic properties.

So a natural substance our bodies produce to help fight pain. Exercise, excitment, anxiety and etc. all release different amounts of Endorphins, which can help relieve the pain your suffering from.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

DSLDAW is offline Member

Lainey brought up a good discusion topic. Distraction does help one
    not think of their pain as much. It has worked for me a times. I'm
    sure we can all agree it has helped us even if we did not realize it
    was working. That's the beauty of distraction.

quote:Originally posted by Cats Meow

What I do is paste my message to my Outlook Express email, run spell check and paste back.
    I'm not sure I understand, you said walking helped cure your problem and helped take away the pain, so then why do you need to take the morphine? Are you just addicted to the morphine and need advice how to get off of it? If that's it, can you try to taper off and attempt to quit, have you tried?

^..^ ~~ ,
    =´`= ___ )-~

Cats, thanks so much for your replay. You are right, it is unexcusable...cept, I am kind of dumb and even tho I have been "putering" for about 7 years now, I have not mastered the "cut and paste" thing. Isn't that awful, I am so ashamed.

Secondly, the walking only cured the spondolosis portion of my problem, which I am so very thankful for. And hense, only cured that particular situation. But I will take what I can get. And where the Endorphins (thanks zippy for spelling), are concerened, that works yes, but only during the activity and awhile afterwards. Understand? And of course you can't do that constantly so... need pain pills yet of course, like the most of you, to get thru life with some comfort.

As for addicted to morphine, if you take it, you are addicted, simple as that. It IS an addictive drug and you cannot get around that. Yes I want off of it. My concerns are, takeing myself off, what may I be apt to do to cause myself more pain and misery? What do I need to be careful not to do? What can I do that would be helpful. The way I am currently doing it is going without until I start to feel withdrawal and then I take one. I then again wait as long as I can to take another. My hope is that this will wein me off of it and 30-60 days. I was hoping someone could tell me if there is a better way or if this is IT.

Did I mention why I want off? If not..it is because I have forgotten to take on on time most of the time I have been on it and therefore I figure that I have been experience mild withdrawal the whole time I have been taking it and of course that defeats the whole purpose.

I hope this helps . Lainey
    ps. I have just taken the time to look up and see how to copy and paste.. got it. will use it, thanks.

Lainey

quote:Originally posted by zippysgoddess

Cats, what she is referring to there, as the help from walking, is our bodies natural Endorphins, she just spelled it wrong, which, if you aren't familiar with the info on them, makes it hard to know what she is talking about. However, when you just hear a word, and haven't seen it written, then it is hard to guess the correct spelling for stuff like that.

Endorphins are a natural part of our body chemistry. They are produces by both the Hypothalmus and pituitary gland. From an online defintion at Wikipedia, they very strongly resemble opiates in their analgesic properties.

So a natural substance our bodies produce to help fight pain. Exercise, excitment, anxiety and etc. all release different amounts of Endorphins, which can help relieve the pain your suffering from.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~
    Lainey

Endorphins are a natural part of our body chemistry. They are produces by both the Hypothalmus and pituitary gland. From an online defintion at Wikipedia, they very strongly resemble opiates in their analgesic properties. Thanks zippy,
    I beleive you are totally correct in your discription. And thanks double for understanding my spelling problem lol..appreciation abounds. Lainey

Thanks zippy,
    I beleive you are totally correct in your discription. And thanks double for understanding my spelling problem lol..appreciation abounds. Lainey

Lainey

Thanks zippy,

Lainey

quote:Originally posted by DSLDAW

Lainey brought up a good discusion topic. Distraction does help one
    not think of their pain as much. It has worked for me a times. I'm
    sure we can all agree it has helped us even if we did not realize it
    was working. That's the beauty of distraction.
    DSLDAW, Hi and thanks for your addition to my thoughts. It does work very well. However I do have to warn others that if they really get good and distracted and it is helping the pain, beware. . . your house may become a mess lol because you will go get so wrapped up in the hobbies and such, or reading, whatever your choice of distraction, that you may, like me, not have time for some things you should be doing lol. Good luck tho...try it, you will like it, I promise.

Here is an idea of what I do for distraction: Acrylic painting (I paint scenery pics on plywood), sewing, needlework, woodworking, pinochle on line, (if you are a pinochle player and haven't discovered playing on line, feel free to contact me on yahoo messenger as lindalainey), and well there are more things, just can't think of them at moment.

Lainey

Cats Meow is offline Banned

Hi Lainey, first nobody cares about misspelling,don't let that bother you at all if you can, I know it bugs me when I misspell or make a typo, I don't want people to think I'm dumb, well at least you learned to cut and paste, it's valuable to know.
    I didn't understand that your pain came back shortly after you stopped walking, how terrible it is that you have to walk so much to get yourself out of pain, and walking in circles even. I have bad back problems and I know what it's like not being able to get comfortable and just relax, it's like, it's so hard to find a comfortable position if you even can find one, and for me, I can't even stay in one position for long before my back starts to lock up, then I have to re-adjust. I don't understand doctors, I don't think most of them have any idea what real pain is, and lower back pain is the worst, we know that we are having a problem, we know our bodies, and they tell us, no it's not that, or it's not that bad, you don't need pain meds, it will get better, they think we just want pain medicine, we want to be tired all the time and be dependent or addicted. Or the only solution they think is to have surgery, of course that's how they are able to make their Mercedes payment and afford to live in a million dollar house. I'm afraid to let them cut on me, there are so few people I've talked to that are better off or in less pain after it, and there's so many statistics that say the failure rate is over 80%, it's not worth the risk to me. In your situation it's obvious you had no choice, I don't know why they won't let us take what works for us so that we can be somewhat comfortable, yeah so what, we are then dependent for life on drugs we are already doomed to a life of chronic pain, drug dependence is just a side affect that has to be accepted. I wish there was a way they could turn off the switch in our brain that registers pain in a certain area.
    Zippy, thanks for the lesson on endorphins, I know all about it, it's good of you to make the effort though.

^..^ ~~ ,
    =´`= ___ )-~

jjbellinski is offline Member

Hi Lainey,

I hope you’ll stick around this forum and that some of us might be able to offer you some help and encouragement.

I very much agree with you about both exercise and distraction. It’s like DSLDAW has pointed out. Distraction really helps to take your mind off the pain. Also the more activities you can work into your daily routine the better you are likely to feel. When I was going through the worst of my withdrawal from painkillers and sleeping pills and also coping with serious depression I found a lot of relief in just helping others on forums such as this. Sometimes we fail to realize that our own suffering and experience can be of great benefit to others. You’ve already posted things that will be helpful to others.

I know that some people seem to be able to stop long-term drug use by themselves without the support of a group or recovery program. I could never manage it. I struggled with both alcohol and cocaine addiction for many years and eventually joined AA and then CA (Cocaine Anonymous) which are both excellent recovery programs that I owe my life to. There are also out patient programs in some hospitals that you might find useful.

And, by the way, I think you’re being a little hard on yourself when you call yourself dumb. I don’t think you’re dumb at all. In fact, I think you’re very resourceful.

I’d recommend that you look up Cocaine Anonymous in your community. I know you don’t use cocaine but that’s neither here nor there. I think most places have CA meetings most every night in different places around town. They’re usually held in church basements and you’d be surprised how kind and thoughtful the people who attend them are. After all they are in similar situations to yours. They won’t judge you if your drug is not the same as theirs and they will bend over backwards to help you through the difficult time of getting off the morphine. There is another program that I can’t recommend only because I have no experience with it and that is Narcotics Anonymous, or NA. I do know people who have recovered from drug abuse through NA so I wouldn’t discount it.

These fellowships I mentioned are not religious programs but they do offer the suggestion that if we’re willing to believe that a power greater than ourselves can restore us to sanity, and let’s face it, spending a life on drugs, especially for recreation as in my case, is sheer insanity, then that power can restore me to sanity and normalcy. It was through my acceptance of this precept that I have developed a very strong, conscious contact with a higher power whom I choose to call God. I pray every day as I have for many, many years and I can promise you God has never let me down. He is a faithful God. He may not answer my prayers in the way I want Him to or when I want him to, but He has never let me down or abandoned me. It was I who had abandoned Him. I lost everything I had to lose, all my possessions and loved ones, and with God’s help I now have them all back and more.

Hang in there, Lainey,

You can do this.

JJ

rolyat is offline New Member

Default get me off morphine--II

Lainey,

hi. i read some of your comments and wanted you to know, you are not alone. i have been on Roxanol for almost 10 years due to a chronic pancreatitis condition. very painful. during those ten years, my Dr. precscribed and i tried many painkillers. where i wound up was on ms. contin with Roxanol for breakthrough pain. Roxanol was recently removed from the medi-cal formulary and they denied coverage, even after two appeals. i said that is enough. i want off. even though i'll have to deal with the pain, i don't want to be a prisoner of this stuff anymore. having to make sure i don't go into withdrawals etc... my Dr. doesn't want me to go off of it, but hey, it's not his body. he doesn't have to deal with the snide remarks from people who have no idea. the one person that said to you, "have you tried?" obviously has no idea. i don't have a good answer, and am hoping that someone out there does for both of us, but here is what i have done so far. i was on about 550mg p/day of morphine. i started stepping it down 30mg every 4-5 days. i'm now down to 260mg p/day. the withdrawals are the worst. the sweating, irritibility, etc... i'm sure you know of which i speak. i looked up withdrawals in a reflexology book. one thing i found that seems to work is to put clamps on your earlobes for at least 10 minutes. i didn't have the professional clamps, so i used clothespins. it does seem to stave off the withdrwals for a time. when i feel them again, i put them on again. it's not a quick fix, but it does make it manageable. if you find out a quick fix, please post it. i would love to know. thanks.

rolyat