Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
Gabapentin - Withdrawal's Second Worst Enemy!
    Morfiend Dreams is offline New Member

Smile Gabapentin - Withdrawal's Second Worst Enemy!

...first, to make sense of the subject, withdrawal's FIRST worst enemy is Suboxone

Now, I'll continue with the thread.

I came across this realization many, many years ago during a time of my life I have kept in the past. I was both suffering from chronic back pain and narcotic addiction. Often times I would find myself out of a month's supply of Vicodin within a few weeks and would then fall into the black depths of withdrawal. So, while feeling absolutely nasty and dealing with the pain, my only means of relief was through the administration of Neurontin (Gabapentin). While taking it as prescribed (300mg QID), I began to notice that my W/D symptoms were pretty close to non-existant (except for very mild diarrhea). I was able to fall asleep and stay asleep for a good amount of time. The dreaded R.L.S. (Restless Leg Syndrome) usually associated with narcotic withdrawal was not there. All the symptoms like stuffiness, headache, fatigue and chills had nothing on Neurontin.

Maybe it's just me but this medication not only kept the withdrawals at bay but it also assisted in lowering the pain I was feeling. I'm not really sure how it worked but it did. I know that Gabapentin attaches itself to GABA receptors in the brain, possibly rearranging, if you will, the chemical balance - hence altering the effects of withdrawal.

I doubt any doctor would deny a patient a prescription for Gabapentin. I mean, this medication has so many positive effects that even individuals suffering from depression are taking it for it's mood-stabalizing capabilities. Most of it's positive uses are off-label - pretty amazing!!!

I just thought I'd share my experience with everyone here. I know FIRST HAND how bad withdrawals are and I also know that detox is often not an option, either by way of short-stay centers or Sub-X. I hope, by posting this thread, atleast one person will feel better.

Take care!

Morfiend Dreams™
    Last edited by Morfiend Dreams; 12-09-2007 at 03:19 AM.
    rhonda55 likes this.
    05.23.2007: L4/L5 Discectomy & Laminectomy
    10.17.2007: Repeat discectomy & attempted removal of scar tissue from previous surgery
    12.06.2007: Diagnosed with F.B.S.S. (Failed Back Surgery Syndrome) & placed on
    MSContin for pain management

hawkman81980 is offline New Member

Default I feel the same way

Hi, I'm on fentanyl 125 mcg. hr. It's a pretty high dose. The highest you can get is 300 mcq. So, I'm about half way. Okay here goes the story. I tried to get a prescription for my fentanyl, which I get every month. Well, there wasn't a doctor who could sign for it in on Friday. Thank God Thursday I got a prescription for neurontin . I saw somewhere on the INTERNET that neurontin could be used for narcotic withdrawal. That is, it makes your brain produce serotonin. The same thing narcotics do. That's why when we don't have our drug, we have these horrible feelings. Like we are jumping out of our skin, and we just want to yell. The anxiety is so horrible. The neurontin took all this away. I had to wait other times to get my fentanyl, and God was that bad. The withdrawals sucked. Had to go to the ER, and get shots in my butt. It wasn't fun. The ambulance came and got me. It sucked, but this time I have neurontin, and I think it is what's keeping me from having these withdrawals. I haven't had my medicine for 3 days now, and I feel good. Well, not a 100%, but good. No anxiety, and no feeling like I'm going to jump out of my skin. I just wanted you to know this, and I hear what you are saying. Thank you for posting. Andrew.

tabcat is offline Junior Member

I'm detoxing off sub, down to 2mg (day two fingers crossed) and I have a bottle of neurontin my previous psych gave me, along with two refills. I'm thinking about taking it as a mood stabilizer/withdrawal helper while I'm tapering off sub and it was really good to see this post. I have yet to find a doctor who I can work with on proper pain management and psych management together, and sub is the devil for wd's...I've been on it too long, and I don't think it should be used in opiate-naive individuals with chronic pain, like I pretty much was.

Anyhow, my prescription is for 100-300mg per night, and I'm really thinking I'm going to start taking it.

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Quote Originally Posted by tabcat View Post
    I'm detoxing off sub, down to 2mg (day two fingers crossed) and I have a bottle of neurontin my previous psych gave me, along with two refills. I'm thinking about taking it as a mood stabilizer/withdrawal helper while I'm tapering off sub and it was really good to see this post. I have yet to find a doctor who I can work with on proper pain management and psych management together, and sub is the devil for wd's...I've been on it too long, and I don't think it should be used in opiate-naive individuals with chronic pain, like I pretty much was.

Anyhow, my prescription is for 100-300mg per night, and I'm really thinking I'm going to start taking it.

It depends on what is causing your pain. The only way the neurontin is going to help you is if you are having nerve-related pain. It's not going to do much for anxiety or depression due to your sub taper. That's my experience at least.

I wouldn't take neurontin unless I had a pain-related issue that was nerve related. I wouldn't waste my time putting another drug in my system otherwise. That's my opinion at least. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

klopper22 is offline Member

As I recall, the Gabapentin helped me too.

Quote Originally Posted by klopper22 View Post
    As I recall, the Gabapentin helped me too.

Hey I'm open minded. If it works cool! I've never received any benefit from it but if it helps someone else I have no problem with that. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

k_jones is offline New Member

I can tell you 100% for sure that Gabapentin/Neurontin does not in any way affect withdrawal symptoms from opioids (i.e. narcotics).

I have been on oxycontin and gabapentin/neurontin for over a year, and if I miss a single dose of the narcotic, severe withdrawal sets in within only a few hours. This often happens if I sleep more than the 8 hours the oxycontin lasts for (that it lasts for 12 hours is a myth, I get 8-9 hours out of it at most).

At times I have missed the gabapentin/neurontin but taken the narcotic, and even then I sometimes get mild withdrawals from the gab/neur after a few hours. But it's nothing like the withdrawals from the narcotic, which are quite severe once they set in.

So this notion that gabapentin/neurontin (which is the same drug, just a different name) somehow is supposed to reduce withdrawals, I don't believe is founded in any medical science what so ever. If this was perceived by some users, there could easily have been other factors that contributed to a lessening of the withdrawal symptoms as well.

klopper22 is offline Member

Default But That's YOU

Quote Originally Posted by k_jones View Post
    I can tell you 100% for sure that Gabapentin/Neurontin does not in any way affect withdrawal symptoms from opioids (i.e. narcotics).

I have been on oxycontin and gabapentin/neurontin for over a year, and if I miss a single dose of the narcotic, severe withdrawal sets in within only a few hours. This often happens if I sleep more than the 8 hours the oxycontin lasts for (that it lasts for 12 hours is a myth, I get 8-9 hours out of it at most).

At times I have missed the gabapentin/neurontin but taken the narcotic, and even then I sometimes get mild withdrawals from the gab/neur after a few hours. But it's nothing like the withdrawals from the narcotic, which are quite severe once they set in.

So this notion that gabapentin/neurontin (which is the same drug, just a different name) somehow is supposed to reduce withdrawals, I don't believe is founded in any medical science what so ever. If this was perceived by some users, there could easily have been other factors that contributed to a lessening of the withdrawal symptoms as well.
    It isnt that Neurontin reduces withdrawals per se. Neurontin has been found by some people, myself included to be somewhat of a mood stabilizer. That being said, it does indeed help some people mentally to deal with the withdrawals. Any help at all is huge during oxycodone w/d...the help doesnt have to have a KNOWN scientific founding.

I dont go thru withdrawals anymore because I dont run out of my medicine. However when I did, Neurontin did help ease the mental anguish and might help other people as well.

What works for one doesnt work for all. That is a well known fact.

For you to say that "100% for sure that Gabapentin/Neurontin does not in any way affect withdrawal symptoms from opioids (i.e. narcotics)" is 100% incorrect because it did 100% for sure affect my withdrawal and did it in a positive way. When I didnt have Neurontin, the wd were worse.
    Last edited by klopper22; 08-16-2009 at 11:36 AM.

mangio72 is offline New Member

Default gabapetin is an absolute miracle for withdrawals!

Without a doubt this drug has saved my life!

I have been on methadone for over 7 years ! I was taking it for a tumor in my lower back. i had radiation last year and it seriously decreased my pain but I was addicted to the drug by then. I would go into debilitating w/ds after a few hours without methadone. I was trying to get into detox because I was out of medicine. Believe it or not some detox facilities would not even consider taking me because of the methadone. They said detox even with supervision is extremely dangerous and if I try to detox on my own I was risking my life. I found one center that would accept me but I have no ability to pay being out of work in this economy. Luckily I had some old gabapetin from when they tried to treat my pain with no success. To my amazement I have gone nearly 24 hours with no methadone and NO WITHDRAWAL symptoms. It is nothing short of a miracle. I will gladly take withdrawal from gabapetin over methadone any day. I urge other patients to talk with their doctor if this could work for them instead of crazy suboxone bs which is just another money scam by a pharmacutical company. Gabapetin is a wonder!

shawnjo1 is offline New Member

Default Gabapentin.

It seems as if the disbaleavers of gabapentin or neurontin helping for withdrawals are adament about the fact it does not work.Everyone reacts differant to medication so what works for one does not owrk well for another.If it doesnt work for you just state so but allow others to find out what works for them because both of these drugs may be a great alternative for opiates.The ones it worked for maybe in some cases it wasnt withdrawals they suffered from but the nerve pain itself comeing back so quikly without the pain meds.So when they took the neu. or gab. it worked .Or maybe it did work for the withdrawals and in that case may be an answer to some suffering from withdrawal and nerve pain.Some people dont want to take opiates and would like an alternative and these may work so i incurage those needing pain releafe to try these first.I tried gab. and it unfortunatly did not work .It helped slightly but i suffered from to many side effects.

TRON is offline Member

Gabapentin or Neurontin def help with withdrawal if you have no tolerance. And they def help with PAWS. But my question is, if I keep blocking the residual effects of withdrawal with either, will I be screwed when I stop taking them? More specifically, am I blocking pain that I should be going through to have my body get used to again? Or is it okay to take for let's say a month after quitting opiates to help stabilize you? Does anyone have experience with using Gabapentin or Neurontin for a month or two following an opiate detox? My fear is I'm just prolonging certain pain I need to experience.
    Entirely focused on making wise decisions...

dr00325 is offline New Member

Hawkman is quite wrong, neurontin has nothing to do with serotonin and neither do opiates. Don't let disinformation confuse this thread.

chirping is offline New Member

Default more on Neurontin and withdrawal

Quote Originally Posted by dr00325 View Post
    Hawkman is quite wrong, neurontin has nothing to do with serotonin and neither do opiates. Don't let disinformation confuse this thread.
    Hmm... I'm not sure where *that* information is coming from, but opiates definitely affect serotonin -- I know you can get serotonin syndrome from using opiates with SSRI's and serotonin is believed by scientists to affect opiate withdrawal. I don't know about Neurontin and serotonin, but it seems like the drug might interact in some way with drugs that affect serotonin, so... But I don't hear people saying that Neurontin has to do with serotonin -- they are saying that it has helped their withdrawal symptoms from opiates.

I agree with TRON -- I think Neurontin will only help if you have no or low tolerance for it. If you are *already* on both Neurontin and opiates, it's not going to help you with withdrawal.

As for your questions, TRON, I don't know the answers, but it seems to me that since opiates and Neurontin do not do the same thing, nor do they work in the same way, you probably are not prolonging any pain you should be feeling. You are probably just helping yourself with the w/d in the same way that a Benzo might help. Well, not the exact same way, but with the same idea -- using a different drug to help mitigate the symptoms of withdrawal will help you get through the withdrawal. Then, depending on how much Neurontin you are taking, you may need to titrate that down.

In my experience, Neurontin has helped me very much when in withdrawal from other drugs. As a mood stabilizer, however, Neurontin isn't thought to be effective unless it is 900 mg or above. This has been true for me and it is one reason why some psychiatrists believe that Neurontin does nothing -- they do not prescribe a high enough dose. However, it has also been true for me that as an *as needed* drug, which Neurontin is not believed to be, I have benefited from lower doses.

Again, what works for some may or may not work for others. Everyone has different bodies, different tolerances, etc. I wouldn't just debunk what people are saying has worked for them -- why would they write in and lie about it?

gravelm is offline New Member

Default Withdrawl

Thanks for this wonderful information-I recently started Vicodin again-I know I should not have but it has been up and down for years and did not know there was any medication to help.

It is mainly used for sleep right? So if I took one in the morning I would be tired the rest of the day correct? Any side effects? Thanks!

maxtor51 is offline New Member

Default terrible stuff withdrawals

i have been on gabapentin for appx 3 months. my girlfriend, (a registered nurse), noticed that i was running low so she tapered me off to 1200 from 1800mg's per day until i could get some more prescribed. i was ok for just a while, maybe a week and then one night i was feeling terrible and about 2am in the morning i was on the couch and woke up shaking from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet. i shook for about 3 hours, i shook so long that i was tired as i would have been working all day. i would hate to think what would happen if i had stopped cold turkey. i would have shook the house down. i had noticed the last few days that i had anxiety and couldnt think straight, lose things, which is normal for me, but worse when i was going thru that. i would start to do something and forget everything i was going to do. it was terrible and waiting for the next one to hit cause i just got the other reordered due to me being under the VA system and away from the VA hospital about 100 miles. i could drive to the hospital and pick the med up but i dont think i could drive that far or afraid i might have an attack.

katya777 is offline New Member

Default opinion?

I have been on gabapentin for a few years now and helps a lot with my nerve pain in my legs. recently they also perscribed me cymbalta ( alon with the usual pain pills which have increased) and in the past few months I feel like im going crazy. Before it was just >> be sad about something cry for a while and be over it for a few days or weeks but recently it has gotten bad. Everyday i just want to curl up and sleep for days and not have to do anything. It is like the depression took a turn for the worst. I suppose the question i am asking is if the two medications are clashing or something and making me more effed up in the head. It seriously feels like im going crazy and i know my close ones are being affected by me being unhappy so much. There are times when i feel good, when my pain isnt as bad as normal but help me please
    Ieat9freshI likes this.

TexasPike is offline New Member

Thumbs up

I just wanted to speak my mind on this message above. Neurontin has been a wonder drug for me!!! I am onlly on my 2nd day of quitting Vicodin, but I have had no withdrawl affects at all. I was taking 20 10mg Vicodins a day for the past year and that wasn't enough. I spent all our money and was selling everything I could to meet up with my "dealer" to get more. It almost ruined my marriage. I was at wits end, when I decided to look up this bottle of 300 or so pills my mother in law left with us. It was Neurontin and I read about how great it was everywhere. I decided to give it a shot. I am telling you right now, it works. Now, I am on my 2nd day and I feel terrific!!! You can't take too much though as it will mess you up, your speach, your balance, etc. Gotta take it easy on this stuff. I had to take a bit more, because of what I was taking before and the amounts, but I am doing great! If you are like me and spending up to $2000 a month on freakin pills, then do yourself a favor and ask your doctor or someone to get you these pills. Do not listen to the guy above. This is a WONDER DRUG for opiate withdrawls!!! Thank God!

Ggeo is offline Member

Default Gabapentin has absolutely helped me in opiate withdrawal

I second those who say Gabapentin aka Neurontin has helped them with withdrawal symptoms. Today is Day 3 in withdrawal from Oxycodone using Gaba to help with w/d symptoms. I was able to clean the kitchen thoroughly and do the laundry. My previous 4 or 5 withdrawals sans Gaba I was unable to get out of bed for over a week and had all the awful symptoms during that week. It definitely helps me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ggeo View Post
    I second those who say Gabapentin aka Neurontin has helped them with withdrawal symptoms. Today is Day 3 in withdrawal from Oxycodone using Gaba to help with w/d symptoms. I was able to clean the kitchen thoroughly and do the laundry. My previous 4 or 5 withdrawals sans Gaba I was unable to get out of bed for over a week and had all the awful symptoms during that week. It definitely helps me.

After doing this for so long I have also seen Gabapentin help lots of people in opiate detox. Everyone is a little different and it just depends on the person and where they are in their detox. It can cause w/d in itself if used too long or in too high of a dose so I wouldn't say it should be regularly used but in certain circumstances it can be a lifesaver. God bless.
    Ggeo likes this.

rhonda55 is offline New Member

Smile gabapentine

i am so glad i found this site i have been looking for something for withdrawls and gabapentine is for my arm but i ran out of pain pills i heard gabapentine work thankx to morphine dreams that info help because people say it don't work i tryed it an it help me for like 8hours so i have some ropinal for RLS so i'm going to start it and not use the pain meds thank you morphine dreams

liquidblue is offline New Member

Default I agree TOTALLY

Hello ,

I have read these forums for years, just recently decided to join because i am kicking methadone cold turkey. I have been going to the clinic for about 1.5 years , the highest i went up to is 150mg , i am down to 104. I recently found out i have to serve 40 days in county jail , they gave me the option of choosing when i go. so i picked the latest date ahead which is 3 weeks. Sat was my last dose of methadone 104mg. i just stopped cold turkey sun. I haven't had much in the w/d area yet???? But yesterday which would of been day 3 of cold turkey i took Gabapentin and today also , LET ME tell you , NO STOMACH ACHES , Tiny bit of nausea left , but a little herb cures that for me herb cures the whole thing for about 30 minutes i would like to do some more studies but thats for another topic.Today is day 4 cold turkey still no bad withdrawls?I have been taken benzos and a few tramadol here and there also. Shouldn't i feel real bad on day 4? puking and nausea? cuse i hear people talk like they are at that point after 1-2 days of no juice?
    Last edited by ddcmod; 01-25-2012 at 12:49 PM.

BrittanyW26 is offline New Member

Default I completely agree :)

Hi all!

I definitely agree with the original message, I myself went through a "little" relapse last year, and thank god I was already on Gabapentin, I don't know how, or why but it definitely eased the withdrawals.

painhater288 is offline New Member

Hi, I'm new to the site but would like to put in my 2 cents.. I have been on and off opiates for chronic pain from a back injury from working on heavy equipment.. I recently was on 80 mg. Opana every 12 hours for chronic back pain and have had to take an extra here and there which leaves me a few days short sometimes.. I have found that gabapentin works wonders for withdraw.. I also like to take tramadol, but gabapentin and pregabelin work well with hardly any symptoms for me!! Hope everyone else takes advantage when need be..

Paines Ghost is offline New Member

Default Gabapentin is a VERY DANGEROUS DRUG and has its own hellish withdrawal symptoms

Quote Originally Posted by tabcat View Post

Let me start by saying that I have been on GABA for a couple years. If I miss a couple doses I start feeling sketchy. Have tried to quit and found that vicodine is easier to stop. The withdrawal from Gabapentin can last up to a year. Please be very cautious with this extremely dangerous compound.

The medical community is far too quick to dispense this tricky and dangerous drug. If the doctor had leveled with me about this I NEVER would have taken it even once. They put me on it for a lifelong sleep disorder. Withdrawal symptoms include insomnia, night sweats, severe anxiety episodes, days of feeling like you want to jump out of your skin, horrible nausea, muscle weakness, and nerve pain, migraines, depression.

Stopping Gabapentin even after low doses for relatively brief periods of time can harvest a full load of symptoms for far longer than you were on the drug. Make your doctor tell you the TRUTH about Gabapentin before you start on it.

Exercise and EXCELLENT nutrition can help withdrawal symptoms from opiates with far less danger. If you live in a state with medical Marijuana, look into that. Does more for my pain and insomnia than Gabapentin and far fewer and milder symptoms from discontinuation.

Tanks for your attention. Best of health to all!

fitzydoc is offline New Member

I TOTALLY agree Klopper- there HASbeen research (several actually) that supports the idea that it helps with some of the symptoms of withdrawal. If there wasn't evidence for this why would doctors put theirselves at risk to prescribe this for ppl to help ease withdrawal symptoms. So please do some homework before you make these assumptions - I'll say assumptions because I assume you haven't done a thorough search on the effects of neurontin on opiods withdrawal.

Lastly, withdrawal has a large psychological component- meaning that although there definately are physical symptoms -what our minds "thinks" will happen, can actually cause certain symptoms or at least enhance their effects- making them worse than they would have been had you never heard of what opiod withdrawal is like. I say this because it works both ways- if you are convinced that a certain medication WILL help with withdrawal- a lot of time IT WILL (placebo effect). So even if there wasn't research backing up neurontin for withdrawals (which there is)- merely THINKING it will work oftentimes is just as helpful!

That said- I would HIGHLY reccomend that people NOT get too caught up in reseraching everybodys withdrawal experiences and the symptoms associated with it- especially if they are IN withdrawal (it always seems "the worst" when you're actually in it/going thru it).BUT I'm not at all diminishing the withdrawal experience- because I've been there a few times and know that it is extremely unpleasant and hard. Anyway, what I WOULD recommend for people withdrawing... or contemplating it- is that ppl keep their minds busy, exercise, stay hydrated, eat healthy, and avoid caffine (esp if you feel jittery).

I'm withdrawing now from Suboxone and was prescribed Neurontin 2 days ago to help with the withdrawals- so I'm holding onto the hope that it will help me the way the research suggests.. but if not- I'll take the placebo effect please!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasPike View Post
    I just wanted to speak my mind on this message above. Neurontin has been a wonder drug for me!!! I am onlly on my 2nd day of quitting Vicodin, but I have had no withdrawl affects at all. I was taking 20 10mg Vicodins a day for the past year and that wasn't enough. I spent all our money and was selling everything I could to meet up with my "dealer" to get more. It almost ruined my marriage. I was at wits end, when I decided to look up this bottle of 300 or so pills my mother in law left with us. It was Neurontin and I read about how great it was everywhere. I decided to give it a shot. I am telling you right now, it works. Now, I am on my 2nd day and I feel terrific!!! You can't take too much though as it will mess you up, your speach, your balance, etc. Gotta take it easy on this stuff. I had to take a bit more, because of what I was taking before and the amounts, but I am doing great! If you are like me and spending up to $2000 a month on freakin pills, then do yourself a favor and ask your doctor or someone to get you these pills. Do not listen to the guy above. This is a WONDER DRUG for opiate withdrawls!!! Thank God!
    I TOTALLY agree Klopper- there HASbeen research (several actually) that supports the idea that it helps with some of the symptoms of withdrawal. If there wasn't evidence for this why would doctors put theirselves at risk to prescribe this for ppl to help ease withdrawal symptoms. So please do some homework before you make these assumptions - I'll say assumptions because I assume you haven't done a thorough search on the effects of neurontin on opiods withdrawal.

Lastly, withdrawal has a large psychological component- meaning that although there definately are physical symptoms -what our minds "thinks" will happen, can actually cause certain symptoms or at least enhance their effects- making them worse than they would have been had you never heard of what opiod withdrawal is like. I say this because it works both ways- if you are convinced that a certain medication WILL help with withdrawal- a lot of time IT WILL (placebo effect). So even if there wasn't research backing up neurontin for withdrawals (which there is)- merely THINKING it will work oftentimes is just as helpful!

That said- I would HIGHLY reccomend that people NOT get too caught up in reseraching everybodys withdrawal experiences and the symptoms associated with it- especially if they are IN withdrawal (it always seems "the worst" when you're actually in it/going thru it).BUT I'm not at all diminishing the withdrawal experience- because I've been there a few times and know that it is extremely unpleasant and hard. Anyway, what I WOULD recommend for people withdrawing... or contemplating it- is that ppl keep their minds busy, exercise, stay hydrated, eat healthy, and avoid caffine (esp if you feel jittery).

I'm withdrawing now from Suboxone and was prescribed Neurontin 2 days ago to help with the withdrawals- so I'm holding onto the hope that it will help me the way the research suggests.. but if not- I'll take the placebo effect please!

I TOTALLY agree Klopper- there absolutely HAS been research (several actually) that supports the idea that it helps with some of the symptoms of withdrawal. If there wasn't evidence for this why would doctors put theirselves at risk to prescribe this for ppl to help ease withdrawal symptoms. So please do some homework before you make these assumptions - I'll say assumptions because I assume you haven't done a thorough search on the effects of neurontin on opiods withdrawal.

Additionally, withdrawal has a LARGE psychological component- meaning that although there definately are physical symptoms -what our minds "thinks" will happen, can actually cause certain symptoms or at least enhance their effects- making them worse than they would have been had you never heard of what opiod withdrawal is like. I say this because it works both ways- if you are convinced that a certain medication WILL help with withdrawal- a lot of time IT WILL (placebo effect). So even if there wasn't research backing up neurontin for withdrawals (which there is)- merely THINKING it will work oftentimes is just as helpful!

That said- I would HIGHLY reccomend that people NOT get too caught up in reseraching everybodys withdrawal experiences and the symptoms associated with it- especially if they are IN withdrawal (it always seems "the worst" when you're actually in it/going thru it). BUT I'm not at all diminishing the withdrawal experience- because I've been there a few times and know that it is extremely unpleasant and hard. However, EVERYONE's withdrawal experience is different and unique to that individual!! Anyway, what I WOULD recommend for people withdrawing... or contemplating it- is that ppl keep their minds busy, exercise (even if you have to FORCE youself to take a short walk), stay hydrated, eat healthy, and avoid caffine (esp if you feel jittery). I know many people that have found this to be as helpful, if not more than some medications.

fitzy ..... Is it necessary to post the same thing three consecutive times?
    Iwantoff2013 likes this.

openminded is offline New Member

Lightbulb Something to Realize.

I have been on antidepressants, SSRIs, SSNRIs, tricyclics, benzos, and stimulants. For over 20 years, I was on a daily SSRI antidepressant, 8 mgs. clonazepam ( brand name Klonopin- a benzo ), and 30 mgs. Ritalin. Let me say one thing about the effectiveness of gabapentin for withdrawals: in most cases, according to my research, it works. In my personal experience, I have run out of all my meds at least 4 times. When I was able to get gabapentin, it helped tremendously! It would almost completely eliminate my withdrawals, both physical and mental. HERE IS WHERE GABAPENTIN MAY NOT, AND PROBABLY WON'T WORK, FOR WITHDRAWLS: If you are already taking gabapentin daily, especially a high dose like 2,400- 6,000 mgs. ( Yes. Some docs prescribe it as high as 6,000 mgs daily ), and have been taking the gabapentin for at least 4- 6 months or years, and have become dependent on opiates while taking the high daily gabapentin doses. The reason continuing to take the gabapentin doesn't help with withdrawals if you run out of the opiate or opiates, if you've become dependent on more than one, is because your body is already dependent on the gabapentin as well. So, although the gabapentin may continue to work for years for pain related issues, for psychiatric ones like anxiety or depression, you can quickly develope tolerance to it, slowly increasing the daily dose for it to continue working until you reach a very high dose. At that time, you may only still be taking the high daily doses of gabapentin to avoid withdrawals. This you may realize, or not. It may not really be doing much if anything at all for your psychiatric issues other than keeping you from falling apart from gabapentin withdrawals if you discontinue its use or lower the dose. If you completely run out of your opiates and have to stop taking them cold turkey, even though you continue to take the high daily doses of gabapentin, it probably will do nothing to help with your opiate withdrawals because you have already developed high tolerance to the gabapentin! At that point, like I mentioned, unles you're taking it for reasons other than anxiety or depressive issues, the only thing the gabapentin is doing for you is preventing you from experiencing debilitating, crippling gabapentin withdrawals. I took gabapentin for over 15 years at doses of 4,000 mgs daily, ran out of my gabapentin, had no insurance or money, so couldn't get it and had to stop taking it cold turkey. FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT THINK GABAPENTIN WITHDRAWALS MAY NOT BE SO BAD, I GOT NEWS FOR YOU: THEY ARE AS BAD AS BENZO WITHDRAWALS, IF NOT WORSE! THAT'S RIGHT! I also ran out of my clonazepam (benzo) when I had been taking 8 mgs. daily for over 20 years. When comparing the withdrawals of both, I really could not tell the difference. In part, it may be because my withdrawals were so bad that I became almost unresponsive and partially catatonic during both my benzo and gabapentin withdrawals. They are hell on earth. Let's just say, I'm extremely lucky I didn't die. But, anyway, if you have not been taking gabapentin at all and are experiencing opiate withdrawals, I can almost assure you you will at least get some relief, if not almost complete relief, from both the physical and mental withdrawal symptoms from opiates. Hope I could help a little.

openminded is offline New Member

Lightbulb Something to Realize.

I have been on antidepressants, SSRIs, SSNRIs, tricyclics, benzos, and stimulants. For over 20 years, I was on a daily SSRI antidepressant, 8 mgs. clonazepam ( brand name Klonopin- a benzo ), and 30 mgs. Ritalin. Let me say one thing about the effectiveness of gabapentin for withdrawals: in most cases, according to my research, it works. In my personal experience, I have run out of all my meds at least 4 times. When I was able to get gabapentin, it helped tremendously! It would almost completely eliminate my withdrawals, both physical and mental. HERE IS WHERE GABAPENTIN MAY NOT, AND PROBABLY WON'T WORK, FOR WITHDRAWLS: If you are already taking gabapentin daily, especially a high dose like 2,400- 6,000 mgs. ( Yes. Some docs prescribe it as high as 6,000 mgs daily ), and have been taking the gabapentin for at least 4- 6 months or years, and have become dependent on opiates while taking the high daily gabapentin doses. The reason continuing to take the gabapentin doesn't help with withdrawals if you run out of the opiate or opiates, if you've become dependent on more than one, is because your body is already dependent on the gabapentin as well. So, although the gabapentin may continue to work for years for pain related issues, for psychiatric ones like anxiety or depression, you can quickly develope tolerance to it, slowly increasing the daily dose for it to continue working until you reach a very high dose. At that time, you may only still be taking the high daily doses of gabapentin to avoid withdrawals. This you may realize, or not. It may not really be doing much if anything at all for your psychiatric issues other than keeping you from falling apart from gabapentin withdrawals if you discontinue its use or lower the dose. If you completely run out of your opiates and have to stop taking them cold turkey, even though you continue to take the high daily doses of gabapentin, it probably will do nothing to help with your opiate withdrawals because you have already developed high tolerance to the gabapentin! At that point, like I mentioned, unles you're taking it for reasons other than anxiety or depressive issues, the only thing the gabapentin is doing for you is preventing you from experiencing debilitating, crippling gabapentin withdrawals. I took gabapentin for over 15 years at doses of 4,000 mgs daily, ran out of my gabapentin, had no insurance or money, so couldn't get it and had to stop taking it cold turkey. FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT THINK GABAPENTIN WITHDRAWALS MAY NOT BE SO BAD, I GOT NEWS FOR YOU: THEY ARE AS BAD AS BENZO WITHDRAWALS, IF NOT WORSE! THAT'S RIGHT! I also ran out of my clonazepam (benzo) when I had been taking 8 mgs. daily for over 20 years. When comparing the withdrawals of both, I really could not tell the difference. In part, it may be because my withdrawals were so bad that I became almost unresponsive and partially catatonic during both my benzo and gabapentin withdrawals. They are hell on earth. Let's just say, I'm extremely lucky I didn't die. But, anyway, if you have not been taking gabapentin at all and are experiencing opiate withdrawals, I can almost assure you you will at least get some relief, if not almost complete relief, from both the physical and mental withdrawal symptoms from opiates. Hope I could help a little.
    iloerose likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast