Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mpvt
Does oxycontin make you feel high?
    AI fan is offline New Member

Default Does oxycontin make you feel high?

I have been taking oxycontin for over 2 years now in increasing doses for chronic pain and tylox for breakthrough pain. These meds never make me feel high (trust me I know what it feels like to be high). They almost never put a dent in the pain. I take other meds that make me feel something, like dizzy or tired (nothin good), but never high. I wonder why it effects people so differently. I would feel cheated except I can't imagine how hard it must be to go thru the withdrawal from addiction.
    I wish you all the best
    AI fan

Peace

Stallion is offline Senior Member

oxycontin is a continous-release form of oxycodone. people who abuse this drug to get "high" usually break the pill in order to get the large dose of narcotics all at once, giving the desired "rush" sought by opiate abusers. In it's intended state, the drug is dolled out in smaller amounts over a period of 12 hrs, which is too long for must addicts.

Information = Freedom

Jonesing is offline Member

It's just amazing to me that some folks actually don't get high off of oxycontin. When I first got into pain pills a friend of mine got about 120 20 mg.s oxys when a family member passed away. I had no tolerance for pills at the time so a twenty (not crushed or snorted ) would give me the most incredible buzz i'd ever had. 3 years later, and a oxycodone addiction, I still can catch a good buzz off oxy's without snorting them. I do bite and chew to get a faster reaction, but I could probably just swallow them and still get high. You are one of the few who doesn't get high in my opinion. I've seen a few other posters who say they same, but love them for the pain relief. I was just wondering if you have been on pills for a long time prior to the oxy's, and if so what type of pain killer.

Thanks,

Jonesing

mpvt is offline Platinum Member

People with true severe pain don't usually get the high that comes with narcotics.You sound like your underdosed to me if it's not touching the pain.Morphine would be a better choice for chronic pain anyway......Dave

Always consult a MD first
    stuarm2 likes this.

rednkbearoregon is offline New Member

Red face Lucky

I would feel lucky if I were you that you can't feel a high from the oxy. I'm sorry that it doesn't take care of the pain though. I have very bad chronic lower back pain from pinched nerves and degenerative disk. Oxy definayrly helps my pain but, I can get high from them. I hate it and love it at the same time! I love the high so I am addicted to them! Believe me you don't want to get addicted to them. It's a very very ugly disease. I had never taken any drugs or very rarely drink. But this drug has me it it's clucthes. I now lie to my family and friends. I use all the money I hae to get oxy. I hope it doesn't come down to me stealing or other things to get them. I fear it will come to that though. Please pray for me! Not sure how old this post is so it might never get read. Tanks for letting me spill my guts out though.

Ken

Anonymous Guest

Hi Ken
    I was in the same place you were in ...I was addicted to oxycontin for about 3 years it was a night mare to say the least...
    Trust me it only gets worse...
    I have been clean now since Aug. so it can be done..If I can anyone can..
    I have fibromyaglia and DDD so I understand how you feel...
    I will pray for you. RIGHT now as a matter of fact....Ok I'm back...

If there is anything I can do to help you please let me know...

I will talk to you soon, Melinda

shonuff2445 is offline New Member

Default Answer: Getting High on Oxy's

Honestly, it depends on the person entirely... I know a few who can only reach their goal via snorting, smoking, or IV. I've also seen a few IM them and have muscle removed from their body from IV'ing them in the wrong place. It sounds as though you are exempt from those reactions I've encountered. However, there are newer drugs on the market, and from my experience the most popular in my area (FL) in Buprenorphine Sublingual Troches. There's a doc down here that has the troches made specifically for his pts. From buprenorphine they have made two sub-brands - one being suboxone, commonly used for opiate maintenance/addiction & subutex, which as I've found most are unaware of. Subutex is being used in this area for those with actual pain issues, including chronic pain mgmt. I have pain issues, and am currently on the medication. There are a few down sides - but mostly positives with this medication.

First, it is absorbed through the veins under your tongue which allows the drug to manage/eliminate the pain, as well as the HUGE bonus that over time you actually need LESS of the drug - unlike any other opiate I've encountered. Being able to live with your pain, while decreasing your dose over time is a huge benefit for your pain receptors. Also, it decreases the likelihood of depression associated with opiate therapy/mgmt.

There's much more info i have on the benefits of this drug - I could go on, and on - yet for now, I have to go. I will say that it is still being highly regualted by the DEA, and only know of one particular doctor that can legally prescribe it, yet his goal is to prove the success of the drug, and gain overall acceptance from the medical community.

Please consider the risks associated with long term use of the oxy, as it effects most of the organs in your body, unlike subutex.

Any more questions - feel free - thanks

dalejrfan71 is offline Member

The first time I took oxycontin it was a 10mg pill. It knocked me for a loop, it made me feel like a zombie for 8-10 hours. The pain meds my dr has me on are: percocet 5mg/325mg and oxycontin 5 & 10 mgs.

I have a question for you melinda7.5, what does DDD stand for. Another question I have is I have been on narcotic pain meds for almost a year now, is it a bad thing to be on them long term? I know that I am not addicted to them as I take them as prescribed.

My doctor said that being on NSAIDS long term is bad because it can cause problems for your liver & kidneys or stomach problems later in life. Is this true, I can't take NASIDS anyway as they irritate the hell out of my tummy and give me wicked diarrhea, & being that I have IBS thats a really bad thing.

I just realized that this is my 100th post, woohoo (dancing in my chair)
    If you want to live life on your own terms,
    You got to be willing to crash and burn

cherry14 is offline Member

I am honestly wondering why on earth you feel "cheated"...this is not making sense to me. From the wording of your post, you are taking the medication prescribed, and not illegally, yes? If that's the case, feeling "high" would not be your goal (or, SHOULD not be your goal?).

I disagree with anyone that says that only a "few" people don't get high from it. People that take it like they should (as in, like it is prescribed), don't get a "high" feeling once the body acclimates to it. The goal is pain relief, nothing else. For someone that obtains it purely for the purpose of getting high, they're simply going to continue to take more and more until that feeling is achieved. It's totally different. People on prescribed long term narcotics lose that euphoric side effect rather quickly, and often don't get it back unless they drastically increase their dose (and if pain is controlled, there would be no reason to do so).

OP, you say the oxy doesn't touch your pain, either....that's another part of the equation in why you don't feel "buzzed." When people take it for pain, the less likely you are to get that feeling, it has other work to do in the body. When someone takes it who isn't having any pain, the high comes easier. You would only feel a high from it if you took a dose high enough to be above and beyond controlling your pain.

I've been on oxycodone for chronic pain for two years now on a regular basis, and get no "high" from it. Pain control varies, depends on the day. My doc added MS Contin about a year and a half ago. I have to disagree with mpvt, too; for me, the oxy does much more for pain relief than the morphine does.

It honestly saddens me that your focus isn't on the fact that your pain isn't properly controlled, but rather on feeling like you're cheated out of a high. It's attitudes like that, that make it so very hard for patients that have chronic pain to be taken seriously and treated with respect, in all truthfulness.

f5narod is offline New Member

Talking Does oxycontin make you feel high?

yep.. i took two and i started getting that silly feeling most people call high.. then i took two more to keep it going.. it worked... then i took one more and now im here letting you all know that it sure does make you feel high. I would recommend taking a few shots of the liquor of you choice to kick it up a notch. Like anything.. im sure this only worked so welll because i dont take Oxycontin on a regular... mostly never. but if you see some laying around and you have never had any then pop a few, sit back, and enjoy the ride...

I know this sounds sleezy but im trying to be a honest about my experience so others will know what might happen with this Oxycontin... good luck out there.. and remember.. if you have done any drug more the a few times in a row with in a few days then its time to move on. Come on, do you want to get addicted! No you dont, so take anything and everything in moderation. I dont care if its ice cream or roller coaster rides.. its never going to be as good as the first time! Good luck and be safe.. let your conscious be your guide... give a little whistle.. toot toot!

Best Regards,
    Narod
    Last edited by f5narod; 01-13-2010 at 06:22 AM.

Monkeys77_101 is offline New Member

Exclamation

I'm 16 and made the mistake of taking one about 3 weeks ago cuz I was deppressed and I usally jus smoke weed well wen I snorted that first line I felt amazing I didn't care about anything never even knew I was deppressed like I said that was 3 weeks ago. Iw I
    still taking them like 3x a day and more and more jus to feel numb and keep that deporession away . The first time I did it I did a 20 didn't feel anything even know it was like 2 mins later so I did another after that I felt like I was drunk and stuff so for ur first time I would recommend jus a 20 and see how you feel but I'm not a professional and it will effect everyone different or if ur on oter meds so don't rely on my advice

Hellweek is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by dalejrfan71 View Post
    The first time I took oxycontin it was a 10mg pill. It knocked me for a loop, it made me feel like a zombie for 8-10 hours. The pain meds my dr has me on are: percocet 5mg/325mg and oxycontin 5 & 10 mgs.

I have a question for you melinda7.5, what does DDD stand for. Another question I have is I have been on narcotic pain meds for almost a year now, is it a bad thing to be on them long term? I know that I am not addicted to them as I take them as prescribed.

My doctor said that being on NSAIDS long term is bad because it can cause problems for your liver & kidneys or stomach problems later in life. Is this true, I can't take NASIDS anyway as they irritate the hell out of my tummy and give me wicked diarrhea, & being that I have IBS thats a really bad thing.

I just realized that this is my 100th post, woohoo (dancing in my chair)

FYI

You do not have to abuse the pain meds to get addicted. I did not abuse, never took more then was perscribed, never ran out before I was supposed to.

So you CAN get addicted without abuse.

q7w
    q7w is offline Junior Member

I 'm taking 3 or 4 20mg OXYCODONE pills day and still get that HIGH feeling, after a few months on it, which isn't long term I guess

ARTIST658 is offline Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hellweek View Post
    FYI

You do not have to abuse the pain meds to get addicted. I did not abuse, never took more then was perscribed, never ran out before I was supposed to.

So you CAN get addicted without abuse.

Absolutely true.

And you can still get addicted when you don't get "high" - and you can still get addicted when you do get high - and you can still get addicted when you used to get high, but no longer get high - and - and ...

In other words, don't judge whether or not your an addict based upon how "high" you get - or even what dosage you take. The number of "mg" does not determine the level of addiction.

There is no proof-positive, definitive test for being an addict. Here's a link to a self-test that may be enlightening to you: "Am I an Addict?" from the NA web site: http://www.na.org/?>>=ips-an-an-IP7

You don't have to prove to anyone else that you are not addicted. You need to convince yourself, deep down within, where no one else can see. If that question is troubling you, chances are - you already have a problem. Thankfully, there is recovery for this disease, but it is never an "easy" path out. There is no way to regain control over these pills after control has been lost. Nevertheless, the sooner you begin recovery, the easier it will be. This disease is always progressive - it always gets worse - until we arrest it completely with abstinance.

God bless,
    Ruth

q7w
    q7w is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARTIST658 View Post
    Absolutely true.

And you can still get addicted when you don't get "high" - and you can still get addicted when you do get high - and you can still get addicted when you used to get high, but no longer get high - and - and ...

In other words, don't judge whether or not your an addict based upon how "high" you get - or even what dosage you take. The number of "mg" does not determine the level of addiction.

There is no proof-positive, definitive test for being an addict. Here's a link to a self-test that may be enlightening to you: "Am I an Addict?" from the NA web site: http://www.na.org/?>>=ips-an-an-IP7

You don't have to prove to anyone else that you are not addicted. You need to convince yourself, deep down within, where no one else can see. If that question is troubling you, chances are - you already have a problem. Thankfully, there is recovery for this disease, but it is never an "easy" path out. There is no way to regain control over these pills after control has been lost. Nevertheless, the sooner you begin recovery, the easier it will be. This disease is always progressive - it always gets worse - until we arrest it completely with abstinance.

God bless,
    Ruth
    that's very good advice

I can be honest in admitting I might be taking more than I need, just to get that feeling

terrible

sacha007 is offline New Member

It is true that you can be using the drug as prescribed and not getting high at all, and your body can develop a physical addiction. This does not mean you will be psychologically addicted or engage in med-seeking behavior or change your life at all. It simply means that your body is in a chemical state of addiction. With that said, if this happens, I think it is good to be aware of your psychological state especially regarding breakthrough pain, to make sure you do not become psychologically addicted. If you feel you are *talk to your doctor* and she may be able to change your meds.

I have been on pain management for almost a year. Started out on hydrocodone (vicodon) 5mg for sjogrens disease joint pain. Then I fell down a flight of stairs and cracked tailbone/sacrum and was given 10mg (also naproxen, referred to PT and walking with cane for 6 mos). I actually felt the HC withdrawal b/n pills after a month and started taking Xanax (which I had for occassional insomnia) to cope with withdrawal. Then I realized this was suspect behavior when I was taking a xanax every day so I told my Dr. I was taking Xanax to keep me calm between pain pills. He switched me to oxycodone (percocet) 5mg, this did not have the "icky" effect on me that vicodin did and I have heard others with chronic pain say this, but it may depend on the person. He was more concerned about Xanax addiction than opiate addiction, and he wanted me off xanax. I was also given Celexa which is an anti-depressant/anti-anxiety because he thought my anxiety was out of proportion to even addiction and a seperate issue (I had been on tricyclics as a teenager so this made sense). I tried to go without the pain pills but it was too painful so I took the oxy 5mg 2-4 xs daily. went for 6 months on oxycodone 5 w/o signs of withdrawal if I skipped a pill or 2 on a "good" day. Then I was reinjured in Jan with 3 herniated discs on a machine that inverted you to heal backpain my friend had. THIS MACHINE MADE CRIPPLE on the first try causing spinal distraction. I cannot walk, use a rollator walker in home, can go for adrive with forearm crutches, but if I need to shop or go to museum I must take someone to carry my wheelchair out of my 2nd story apt (no elevator) to care and take out of car. Oxy went up to 10mg Rx in Feb cus 5mg did not subdue pain. This week Dr. decided Oxycontin 10 was better because you only have to take 2 so easier to manage pills. So now I have the Sjogrens, improperly healed sacrum/tailbone fracture, and 3 herniated discs, also MRI revealed severe dessication of lower spine. I am on short term disability from employee insurance and medical leave from an ivy league school. Its sad because in 2008 I was athletic lifted 3 days a week and ran 5ks and 10 ks. Currently I am also taking Mobic for inflamation, the Celexa, the Oxycontin 10mg and a muscle relaxant-skelaxin- daily).
    I found Oxycodone to be much less addictive than hydrocodone. The HC made me feel "icky" when it wore off. I experimented with cocaine when I was a youth and it left this icky feeling like that drug which is how I knew it was having an addictive affect.The oxy, if I am having low pain and use less, after about 10 hrs or after waking up after a long sleep I start to get some symptoms of mild physical withdrawal like hot flashes or cold sweats and crankiness, but it's much more manageable, especially taking Celexa and the muscle relaxant. The oxycontin does not make me feel high the first dose, the 2nd dose maybe slightly, like having a latte or cigarette, but nothing to write home about and it does help my pain as long as I dont tryto walk too much - I recently can walk unassisted to bathroom or across room or stand for up to 3 minutes.
    The easiest way to see if you are addicted physically, is to stop taking the drug, and wait. If you are in pain anyway, you will feel this break through. But you will also experience withdrawal side effects, the most immediate are aches that have a different, druggy, quality than your "normal" pain, hot flashes and cold sweats, nausea, diareea, anxiety, trembling, esp crying for no reason. If you are on a timed daily dose then this doesn't have to be a problem, if you take as directed, but if you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms between doses, you should discuss these with Dr and he can either change the Rx to another narcotic you will tolerate better without causing addiction, or give an additional Rx that will mitigate these withdrawal side effects.
    As for me I am debating pushing for surgery. They want me to do 2 mos of PT before they'll give me injections, but I saw what my spine looks like and I dont just want to walk again, I want to run races and hike, etc. I heard that ppl who got surgey can ski and stuff so I am hoping I will be eligible for that, even though the surgery itself would suck I would be able to play sports again.

lady from T.O. is offline New Member

Default oxy's and more stuff

I recently found (well I looked for these) oxycontins 20mg at a relatives house.

The date of the bottle was either 2006 or 2007.

I have tried them and for the most part I am getting the nice euphoric buzz which comes with oxys.
    However, I have noticed I need to take a lot more than I have in the past.
    Is this because the potency has been compromised over the past four or so years?

I've been looking online to try and get someone else s' knowledge and experience with taking this drug once it's been hanging around for at least four years.

Are there any other side effects I could experience by taking these pills. I almost always just chew and swallow them. I've tried to snort-not my bag-so to speak.

I would really appreciate some one to help me out there.

I just took 5 20mg. oxy's this morning. I've had trouble sleeping lately so I thought-what the heck'

PLEASE SOMEONE COME AND TALK TO ME, OK?? THANKS! ;-)

lady from T.O. is offline New Member

As an appendage to what I just wrote about the oxy's I wanted to add something else of importance.

Because I was feeling a tad dizzy I took four (4) activated charcoal capsules. I usually take anywhere from 6 - 10 at a time when I feel like I've overdone it with my pills.

My questions is this:

Because I took much, much less than I normally would take will some of the drug NOT be absorbed and therefore I still might get a mild euphoric buzz?

signing off from T.O.

thanks

oneistoomany is offline Member

Hi TO- I really don't know how to respond to your question-- I don't get, or search for a high anymore. If you want help weaning off or getting off of opiates, this is a great place. You may not get many responses to your questions because this post is from 2005-- 6 years ago. As you probably know, when you take opiates you need more and more and more for them to work. I saw you posted the last time you posted on here was 2006. Maybe it's time to get off of the rollercoaster you are on? Just a thought--

Take Care~
    Becky

D4Ta is offline Member

Hi. if you infact do have sevre pain, you wont get "high" the drug does what its supposed to. I was on oxys for alsmost 5 yrs, and I guess the "high" would consist of feeling "normal" if that makes any sence.
    please take thiss advice, and do NOT "seek" yo get high from opiates. oxys will come around and bite you in the ass vut good!
    all the best, and good luck with your addictions.
    they can be overcome!
    god bless

D~

canberralad28 is offline New Member

Smile I agree

It honestly saddens me that your focus isn't on the fact that your pain isn't properly controlled, but rather on feeling like you're cheated out of a high. It's attitudes like that, that make it so very hard for patients that have chronic pain to be taken seriously and treated with respect, in all truthfulness.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with that lst part about no wonder chronic patients arent taken seriously i'm 28 yrs old and i have chron's disease and it has taken me 3 years to get on endone and oxycontin for the pain and today is my first day and i have taken 2 plus i smoke a bit of the mary jane as well so seriously if u wanna get high off somethin smoke weed or do the illegal drugs and leave the prescription ones out of it so that we can go and get them without been thought of being a junkie i'm sorry but thats just my thought

canberralad28 is offline New Member

Thankyou finally someone else who understands about the suboxone and subutex i am no way a drug addict but i have also found that suboxone through I.V works sooo much better for pain relief than any other drug legal or illegal.

Anonymous Guest

I think anyone that doesnt get high on any kind of pain pill is blessed. Nine years ago I had the unpleasent experience of finding my soul mate/girl friend of 18 years, 28 year old son dead from an oxycontin overdose. I will never forget that scene. He was lying on his back with the tv screen blue after the movie he was watching ran out. I then had to watch the pain it had brought to my dear friend. She never got over the loss and we parted after 4 years. These pills are life changeing for those that use them and those that love the PEOPLE that use them.

Cindjb is offline New Member

Default interested in subutex

Quote Originally Posted by shonuff2445 View Post
    Honestly, it depends on the person entirely... I know a few who can only reach their goal via snorting, smoking, or IV. I've also seen a few IM them and have muscle removed from their body from IV'ing them in the wrong place. It sounds as though you are exempt from those reactions I've encountered. However, there are newer drugs on the market, and from my experience the most popular in my area (FL) in Buprenorphine Sublingual Troches. There's a doc down here that has the troches made specifically for his pts. From buprenorphine they have made two sub-brands - one being suboxone, commonly used for opiate maintenance/addiction & subutex, which as I've found most are unaware of. Subutex is being used in this area for those with actual pain issues, including chronic pain mgmt. I have pain issues, and am currently on the medication. There are a few down sides - but mostly positives with this medication.

First, it is absorbed through the veins under your tongue which allows the drug to manage/eliminate the pain, as well as the HUGE bonus that over time you actually need LESS of the drug - unlike any other opiate I've encountered. Being able to live with your pain, while decreasing your dose over time is a huge benefit for your pain receptors. Also, it decreases the likelihood of depression associated with opiate therapy/mgmt.

There's much more info i have on the benefits of this drug - I could go on, and on - yet for now, I have to go. I will say that it is still being highly regualted by the DEA, and only know of one particular doctor that can legally prescribe it, yet his goal is to prove the success of the drug, and gain overall acceptance from the medical community.

Please consider the risks associated with long term use of the oxy, as it effects most of the organs in your body, unlike subutex.

Any more questions - feel free - thanks
    I am interested in the Subutex. My doctor prescribed Oxycodone for chronic pain associated with polycystic kidney and liver disease, but I will always need pain medication for the rest of my life, and I am interested in any kind of drug that does not create further damage to kidneys and liver because of long-term usage. My doctor did mention that Subutex is a new drug that can take the place of Oxycodone and is better for you, but I don't know if there has been enough long-term research on the drug to know if it is really worth the trade-off. Also, I think it is difficult to find a doctor that can prescribe the medication, so that has me a little worried too. If anyone is taking Subutex, I would be interested in knowing how it is different from the Oxycodone and if it was worth changing over to. By the way, some people have suggested that Oxycodone users use it to get high, but I have never felt a "high" from this drug. It only relieves the pain. I wonder though, after taking it for almost 3 years now, if it may cause fatigue and depression, or if it is just my chronic disease that has changed my life so. I feel unmotivated and tired, and am not at all the energetic, athletic person I used to be. Maybe it is a combination of all of these things working together. If anyone knows of a support group for polycystic kidney and liver patients in California or on-line, please respond to this post. Thanks, and I hope you all feel better. CJB

caganski924 is offline Junior Member

describe high please. have you ever taken any narcotic before? have you ever done any "recreational" drugs? in my opinion it all depends on the person and their history. hard question to answer.