Do opiates slow metabolism significantly?
    exenabler is offline Junior Member

Default Do opiates slow metabolism significantly?

This would explain why whenever I am on them I cannot seem to lose weight, I thought it was because they make me sedentary, but the weight gain seems to be exponentially higher then when I simply slack on excersize. (I have broken my arm twice in the last two years)Also, my niece used to be very thin and attractive and she seems to be literally blowing up like a balloon. I saw a bottle of vicadin in her car and since then have suspected she was taking them regularly. I would appreciate a definitve answer on how much they do slow it, and if it does so in spite of exersize.

jasminesmommy is offline Junior Member

I know that narcotics slow digestion greatly (Ie: constipation), but I don't know about actual metabolism. I have been on percocet for some time and I am just as skinny now as I was before. I think alot of things come in to play though- depression= not eating; pain= laying around and sleeping alot, etc. I just thought I would throw that out there- HUGS!!

Cats Meow is offline Banned

On the contrary, one side effect of opiate use is weight loss, I know it effects my appetite, for many users it makes them lethargic, which of course any lack in activity will burn fewer calories. Opiates, as many can testify can also give you tremendous energy, I think it just depends on the amount consumed. Jasminesmommy's correct about the slower digestion rate.
    I'll see if I can find more on this, I read something not long ago.

I have moderately used opiates for quite some time, and I have noticed I seem to be more plump around the middle. A lot of it IS distention (swelling of the bowels with unprocessed waste due to significantly slowed metabolism), so to solve that problem I simply make sure I haev regular bowel movements. Just make sure you do it at least once a day, depending on your eating habits. I sometimes take an OTC stool softener which helps with the constipation.

Jesus Christ will help you through. -Betsy

exenabler is offline Junior Member

I am on just one vicadin a day and I eat myself silly! Don't want to move either, but when I forcw myself to exersize, I still seem to gain.

DexterMeth is offline New Member

Default Long time >>>>>> (not anymore) user/"the whole slue of them"

Was on methadone for years as well as suboxone. I can tell you, op8's definately give you severe water retention. It's pretty obvious when you're so constipated and it takes half an hour to piss. When I was at the height of my methadone maintinance, i went from 175 at the beginning to weighing 265lbs at the end. And my lifestyle habits (being sedentary/not being..) didn't change; as it was definately the methadone. When I detoxed in the hospital, i lost 60lbs of liquid&fat in a week.

Oh yeah, and it definately slows your metabolism down; just think about it. If it makes your heart beat slower, digestive system clogging up, slowing more shallow breathing/etc..you think your furnace is going to be churning at it's full normal (not on opiates) rate? Come on now, I'd like to see this evidence where opiates don't do this.

And in regards to people talking about how they lost tremendous weight on opiates, that because of your own personal choices/life-style habbit that just ended up going along with the ride of your opiate addiction..the opiates didn't make you skinny..you forgetting to eat or not wanting to and putting off all other nutrional things did.

FYI, I also eat like a mother-f*%ker on opiates...let's get some sushi!
    Last edited by DexterMeth; 04-29-2009 at 04:15 PM.

brianooch is offline New Member

Yes, I have been on Sub's now over a year.. they have been a miracle for me as far as other getting me off drugs and after over 10 years of doing anything I needed to to get pills for the night my life is much better now.. but now Im trying to get in shape and it is much harder to lose weight because your body gets messed up at burning calories and digesting food.. This is now my motivation to get off these but that is not gonna be easy, I know that.. If you a pill popper your insides are all bound up and slowed down... If your just on the pills for a short time no problem... Note..Im not a doctor but Im an expert in the be a junkie and mess up your life business.. If you want to lose weight taking pills that slow down your body's metabolism isn't what you want to be doing..