Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Dextromethorphan Abuse - CCC-Need advice
    mshep22 is offline New Member

Unhappy Dextromethorphan Abuse - CCC-Need advice

Has anybody out there had experience with an abuser or has abused this drug? My son, 19, has been abusing it for over 3 years now.
    After several overdoses, rehabs, legal problems, etc..... we finally asked him to leave the house. He is in a 1/2 way house now, been there for 6 months. Actually has found great support with the guys the lives with, however, every 3-4 months he relapses. He has been able to hold a job since he moved out - mainly because we cut him off financially. Probably will take time but this drug really has a hold on him.
    Any advice?

jeffk1968 is offline New Member

Default Same Boat, different Sailor

My wife has been abusing Dextromethorphan now off and on for several years, until recently. She has started using it on a daily basis to reach what she calls, a demension I could never understand. She is losing control with it and it scares me to death to think that she will do something to hurt herself or someone else. She says that she is not addicted to it, but she can't NOT take this stuff. She has been to prison, and through multiple rehabs, I am at a loss as far as what I can do as a husband, father, and recovered addict ( 8 years 7 months and 6 days clean). I have done everything I can think to do, shy of having her committed somewhere. It helps to know that I am not alone in this battle, as painful as it is for you, I am sure. Hang in there, and God willing they will both see the light.

Jeff "K"
    Last edited by jeffk1968; 08-04-2008 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Typo

will8827 is offline New Member

Default Advice

Hi! I've been having problems with this drug since I was in the Air Force (six years ago) and only recently started looking for help. I'm a college grad and have a good job but have still have issues with this drug. Let me know if you would like to chat about it; hopefully I'd be able to let your son see its not worth it. Doing DXM has been the worst decision of my life and now I want to make sure other people don't fall into the same situation as me.

Cheers
    Will

I am very sorry to hear about your wife. This addiction is about more than I can handle. My son has been in several rehabs. One was for four months. Terrible thing about this drug is that it does not show up on drug tests. My son used it to get high while he was in a juvenile drug court program. Then he got hooked! This drug made him VERY aggressive and suicidal. Are you experiencing the same thing with your wife?

Hi Will, I would like to know more about this drug. If you can give me some insight- I would appreciate it. Thanks, Mary

Default Really need to talk

Jeff or Will, you out there?
    Wow, does anybody else have a loved one abusing this? I really need to talk to someone!
    Last edited by mshep22; 08-19-2008 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Added a line

dare2dream_666 is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by mshep22 View Post
    Jeff or Will, you out there?
    Wow, does anybody else have a loved one abusing this? I really need to talk to someone!

Hi Steph. The reason why your son does DXM is because he likes to what they call "trip". If you want to look more into this than log onto http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dextromethorphan

Default DXM abuse

Ok, so it's been about 6 months since I've been on this sight. My son was sent to a 1/2 way house but after 4 months overdosed and kicke out of the house. Moved into an apartment but was evicted within 2 months. And once again my son was on the street and living in his car for a week. He managed to find another place to live - but in November overdosed again - putting his car in a ditch. We finally took the car away (actually sold it).
    He dropped dirty at a probation meeting (his 5th probation violation) and was sent to jail for 90 days.
    Now he's been out for 6 days and has already used twice. My husband wants him out of the house immediately. But where do I take him? He has no money, no job, no transportation. Any suggestions?
    This is breaking my heart - he is going to kill himself one of these days. He's up to 40 pills at a time again.

Cats Meow is offline Banned

Default mshep22

Call his probation officer and report him, he's better off in jail, he doesn't belong in society, you can't help somebody that doesn't want help. I think being in jail is better then homeless, at least you know he'll get fed, have a bed, not using, and not a threat to innocent people.
    I know how hard this is for you, it's sad, but sometimes there's nothing you can do, you have to do what's best for him and you.

Cat,
    He is not on probation. His original charge was possession of marijuana, he violated several times, went to jail and now out - free as a bird.

He says he doesn't want to use this stuff - and he even hates the high - there are no withdrawals or cravings he says. He just keeps going back.

But he cannot stay at our house with two teenage step sisters that are afraid of him when he is using. I can't throw him on the street.
    I am in a panic.

Lost83 is offline Senior Member

mshep22,

Perhaps you can look into another halfway house if there is another one willing to take him. Just a suggestion. My thoughts are with you.

Question

My husband kicked him out of the house last night. I took him to his fathers house. Not an ideal situation because he is an alcoholic, but at least my son has a warm bed to sleep in for now.

I was wondering about this drug - if anyone has insight. Seems that it is not physically addicting from what I read. Is it possible that this is different than other drugs and alcohol addiction?

bsisse is offline New Member

Default dextromenthorphn abuse

Hi,
    Thank God I found this site. I really thought I was all alone. I too have a son who is so addicted to this drug, plus any other substance he can get his hands on. He too likes the "trip" that he gets. Well, just this weekend the cops picked him up and as we speak in the mental ward of a local hospital. He was on Robitussin and a drug similar to lLSD. He was so crazy he thought he was able to time travel. He thinks he coming home but we are saying no. He has been in rehab 3 times, and he is only 18. As with all of you, you love your child but how much can you take. Sorry if I am breaking in on another parent's post or topic but I do understand and just needed to let it out, friends jus don't seems to understand when your child is a drug addict.

bsiise

Red face

bsisse,
    Thanks for the response. I wish we could talk, you and I share the same thoughts. My son was also in a mental hospital. It is a good feeling when they are somewhere safe- I gives you time to rest your mind. I was so happy when the judge sentenced him to jail back in November, but was disappointed when he only got 90 days. Then they let him out early - and now he's right back at the drugs. This Coricidin is killing my son.

AlanVaBeach is offline New Member

Default Wow

Finding this site at least makes me feel a little less alone, My Wife and I have two teenage Sons both who are addicted to CCC as well as a variety of other cough meds and MJ.

My oldest Now 19 was arrested on March 31 2009 and will surely end up in prison for quite a bit as he Ran from the police through 3 different cities and 2 states while on CCC and MJ at 120 mph with his buddy in his buddies Grand mothers Car, I hadnt allowed him to drive due to these drug issues.

OO yeah just so you know my current mental state and maybe you can appreciate this... I kicked him out of the house on the 30th for having friends over while i was at work, trashing my house popping pills and smoking weed.. constantly.. this was my version of tough love. perhaps I should have had some other magical solution. But perhaps prison might be more helpful than the drug counseling was. Enough on this but he has a multitude of charges most of which are felonies, and over the next couple months we will live through the trials, just thank god he didnt kill anyone.

Now for my continuing problem--- My youngest (who turns 18 in august) will surely end up dead or right behind him in prison if I can not find a way to get him off these pills. From what I know he takes much more of this than my other son, several times a week from my best guess, Ive stripped his room to nearly nothing to make the daily searches. He is very prone to running away, but he is still on the honor roll and scheduled to graduate in 6 weeks, but as many of you might know,, thats if we can make it. Ive had him to counselors as well, but I think it all falls on deaf ears,,

Ive tried ever parenting approach I can think of, and heard of, and I feel completely hopeless, I think my wife and I are both on the verge of nervous break downs, we went from having good happy kids who didnt get in any trouble and were doing well,, to two suicidal Crazy people we dont know in the matter of 2 years.

I know no one has posted here in several months but if anyone has any insight or encouragement or anything I can try PLEASE let me know,, my complete feeling of despiration is becoming over whelming.

Alan

Anonymous Guest

Hi Alan
    I have been down that road..I have a 30 year old who is in and out of jail most of his life and my 17 year old is in collage and has never touched a druge in her life.
    I have been the same mom to both of them.Go figure..
    Im not trying to be nosy but what is your sons screen name,If we have talked to him before maybe we could help more...
    Talk to you soon, Melinda

dalejrfan71 is offline Member

Is this drug on the controlled substance list?
    If you want to live life on your own terms,
    You got to be willing to crash and burn

Default Screen Name,,

I wouldnt think he would have a screen name, he had a facebook,, but Ive taken his computer away, to try to motivate him to stop and straighten up,, as well as his TV and Video games, yes Im treating him like a two year old,, , and not saying its helping but... at least I feel like Im trying to do something.

dalejrfan71-- both Coricidin Cough and Cold (CCC) and Robitussin are sold in Virginia over the counter,, in every grocery store, Kmart, walmart, and a ton of other place, Ive read in some states they have moved it behind the counter,, I WISH they would here, Ive written my congressman and Gov several times,, with attached articles about kids ,, and Adults--abuse of it, stealing it, dieing from it, but with no response.

Personally I wish they would stop making all Cold meds with the DMX drug in it.

Exclamation Drug user

Hi I am a user of DXM im not proud of it I'v had my best friend go crazy like legally crazy from the drugs I'v tried to stop several times its just hard. and idk why all things claim its not addicting it is very addicting I have never meet someone that has taken DXM and said it wasnt addicting which i find intresting they all say its addicting but they are not addicted...

my best advice is to help the people that are addicted to it relize how they are ********ing up but not force them to clean up while the drug has a hold of you any one that tries to get between you and it doesnt really love you

trust me that is in the brain i know i had it... still kinda do

you cant help someone that wont help themselves

i use to get my room raided everyday too i would go get ********ed up because i got pissed at that

it is easy to steal DXM so dont think that because someone goes out with out cash they wont get it

i recomand the book dry by Augustin Burrows it helps get you into the mind set of a drug addict or even a million littel peices even if its >>>> it is how drug addictoion is

i say to read it ur selves and to have the person addicted read it again though tell them its a good book dont force them to read..

never force an addict to do something because then they turn to the addiction to comfort them

again all this is from my battle and my friends battle with DXM its not medical fact

and understand that there will always be a craving dont think oh i dont want it and dont feel like i need it so im not addicted so i should take some i use to fool myself like that many times i tried to stop >> say theres no craving so its not an addiction but i know it was/is

anyone wanna talk try my email Ram_on626@yahoo.com imnnot on it all the time but i look at least week

Thanks For responding, I hope you can win your battle, at least you see it as a problem which is great. and I will get that book you recommended and read it this week and leave it laying around and perhaps it will catch my sons eye enough to read it, he does read often.

dalejrfan71 is offline Member

They should make the companies that make the cough syrups with DXM accountable for people who get hooked on it.
    If you want to live life on your own terms,
    You got to be willing to crash and burn

well I think at least getting it behind the counter would be a responsible thing to do, make it harder to steal, or buy. in some states they even track how much is purchased.

btuck22 is offline New Member

Default O god

Come on guys. Kicking your kids out because they want to sleep usually thats because they have a problem dealing with what they are around so you could of done your son a favor by kicking him out. But, if dextromothorphan makes your soon feel good o god whats going to happened when he finds him self by the cookie jar? Is your son a junky? Why kick him out for such a small offensive. I almost got a dwi on dextromothorphan but it was allegries session thats why i take them nothing really makes me tired and they just laughed at me.

Arrow

No I didnt kick my oldest out for wanting to sleep,, I kicked him out for a multitude of actions ,, all that i know were directly related to excessive use and abuse of CCC combined with alcohol and Pot over a 2 year period.

To elaborate: (previous convictions)

Shop lifting (multiple)
    Breaking and entering Houses (multiple)
    Breaking and entering Cars (Multiple)
    Curfew Violation (in va its a law) (multiple)
    DUI (smoking a blunt while driving and tripping on CCC)
    Possession of MJ
    Curse and Abuse of a Police officer
    Providing false information to police
    Being hospitalized for overdose 3 times
    Contributing to the delinquency of a Minor 2 times
    Drinking underage
    Drinking in public
    Dropping out of High school

and these are simply the things he got caught doing prior to me throwing him out.

O yes i did seek help from counseling, therapy, and family, I tried to change his enviroment and move him up to my sisters house at age 17 since they live in the middle of no where, and my brother inlaw happens to be a Narcotics detective, I thought good call perhaps his vast knowledge of Drug abuse will help my son over come his addiction, since my wife and I obviously couldnt control him. He got arrest 60 days into his stay, and they also couldnt keep him from himself, so needless to say it didnt work out well.

Currently its (upcoming court dates)
    Aiding and Abetting and armed robbery (north carolina)
    felony eluding (Running 3 different police road blocks as the pursuit went through 3 different cities and two different states) (north carolina and Chesapeake, va, Virginia Beach, va)
    Grand larceny (virginia Beach)
    unauthorized use of a motor vehicle (NC C. VA and VAB VA)
    DUI (all three places)
    Possession (Chesapeake, va)

I didnt elaborate on my oldest sons situation simply because thats out of my hands as he is being held without bond.. regardless I will never give up on him, but on the plus side he is sober now, unfortunately he isnt liking what he is waking up to. Nor will i ever give up on my youngest.

I read up on this subject like its a full time job, and I simply found this thread and felt compelled to ask for advise, help or at least share simular stories to compare notes and see if I couldnt learn something I already didnt know. Or perhaps my words might help someone else.

The sad part is my story is by no means the worst, Im lucky in the fact neither one of my children have killed themselves or anyone else. take a minute to read this small article

http://www.biopsychiatry.com/misc/dextromethorphan.html

Anyway btuck22, Im sorry if I might seem abit defensive in regards to your response, but I really think your experience on this matter isnt onpoint with mine. And Im personally just looking for people who are.
    Last edited by AlanVaBeach; 04-27-2009 at 04:36 PM.

anotheraddict is offline Member

Hey, don't feel bad for being defensive. It's hard to understand someone else's situation even when you know all of the details. I am sorry to read about your troubles with your son. DXM is really a horrible drug in large quantities. Some of my state keeps records by keeping such products behind the counter, and checking >>> (entering them into the computer). But this even varies from city to city. A Wal-Mart in one part of a city has them locked to the hilt. While another Wal-Mart in another area has them on the shelf, only requesting an >> check for age. No records kept at all.

The only way this problem is going to get better is if they realize that this medication needs to be safeguarded. The same way they did when pseudoephedrine was taken off of the shelves. DXM has it's place as a cough suppresant, but that's in low dosages. There's got to be some way to control just how much of a drug someone can obtain.

I know there's always ways around that. Using other people and such. Howwever, putting it behind the counter would be a great start since most people I know that have abused DXM have lifted it from the stores. Why pay when they can get it for free?
    1 is too many, and 1000 is never enough

Freed from my own personal hell since 03/24/2009

AlanVaBeach

thank you for your support on me cleaning up, I'v made it over a month and i know that seems like very little but its the longest iv been sober in 2 years and i fell that now i have my head on a bit more straight

and i dont think your taking things too far you are doing the best of what you have with what you have

i truly hope you can help your son

and again try to educate ur son about the drugs without being forceful this thread helped me i found it when i was on a point of relapse and reading everyone's struggles from a point of view from the loved ones you hurt from taking the drugs because from the addicts mind your not hurting other people therefore its not wrong you just dont relize how much your damaging not only yourself but those around you

i remeber my mom would tell me that i was killing my father (a diabetic) because he woudnt sleep or eat cuz >> disapper for months at a time and to me >> just say ya right and ignore it, or take more drugs so the guilt would stop

Nothingandeverything,

I know we have a different DOC, but I wanted to tell you that I, too, am just over 30 days. To others it may not seem like a lot, but really we have made it pretty far! Keep up the good work

I Think 30 days is fantastic, my youngest cant get passed day 2,, Ill go into detail later.

Alan

Alan,

It's not easy. Especially as withdrawal sets in. The only way that I can explain it is that I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. It's a certain point, and no one will really succeed in quitting until they are ready. One cannot quit for anyone else.

Wishing you the best.

Jean

its true you cant force some one to quit I'v tried getting my bestfriend to quit all we do now is argue about it he had been clean for 2 weeks and relapsed

I'v tried talking to him i told him that if i can stay could too he said the diffrentce was that i wanna be clean and he doesnt

you cant force someone to clean up but i still wish we could so now i just talk to him about addiction and so forth hoping he sees how serious it is

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast