Detoxing in jail
    yabatab is offline Junior Member

Default Detoxing in jail

Im going to jail in a week for a D.U.I. yes i was stupid enough to get one. Any ways do any of you know what i can do to get into a detox program insted of detoxing in jail.I've been adicted to opiats for 12 years mostly morphine oxycontin and hydromorphone also fentanyl
    when i can find it.But I had to detox in jail before and it was a nightmare.

Torxis is offline Junior Member

Yabatab, been there, done that! Yes it was a nightmare 4 me 2. My advice to you is to admit yourself into either a hospital or detox program in your area. I don't know where you live or I would try to find you one. The police can't touch you if your in a detox/rehab. Even if you go into a hospital that doesn't "do" detox, it would be better than coming off in jail. Also, if you go to the Suboxone website link at the bottom of my post, find a doctor in your area, and do a 4-5 day suboxone detox at home if you have time.
    Let Us Know How You Make Out, Good Luck, >>>>TOM

My Clean Date:09.09.05
    My E-Mail:Idonursing5@aol.com
    Remember, We Can Choose to Act or Be Acted Upon!

*NA RECOVERY LITERATURE**
    http://www.na.org/ips/eng/index.htm
    HOW TO FIND LOCAL NA MEET
    http://www.na.org/links-toc.htm
    Are Opiates Destroying Your Life?
    http://suboxone.com/

Thanks for the advice i called about the suboxone program in my area but it coast close to 1500$ to start the program which i dont have at the time.But it sounds like something i might do in the future when i have the money to start that. It was a year long program that included NA meetings.And I Know what your thinking its cheaper than buying pills off the street and yes it is but i have done spent the last of my saveings "550$" on morphine and xanax.

Hey Yab, I don't know where you looked, but $1500.00 is way too much to pay for Suboxone treatment. The way it's supposed to work is you find a doctor in your area that's licensed to prescribe Suboxone. You go in for an initial office visit. This visit costs a little more than a regular visit because you may have to stay for a few hours. Most docs have you go home for a few hours and come back. The initial visit cost me $150.00, I pay 50 bucks to go in for follow-up scripts. I've heard of docs charging as much as $250.00 for the first visit but 1,500 is way out there. I don't know if that is for an inpatient program or what. Treatment can take place at a regular doctors office though with a script that you fill at your regular pharmacy. The Suboxone.com website has a doctor finder which makes it easy to find one in your area. I had to make several calls to find the least expensive one. You should keep trying and not give up hope. Opiate withdrawl can kill you. Yes, you commited a DUI, but you shouldn't be tortured because of it. As I said before, if all else fails, admit yourself into a hospital. Insurance or not, they have to take you, even if you end up paying them 5 bucks a month. Good luck, please let me know how you make out. I'm going to post this on the forum as well in case you fail to get the E-Mail. Some of these forums have ****py E-Mail.>>>>TOM

Ok i've called a few in my area now.the one that was 1500$ was the most expensive i found one that was 250$ for the consultation visit.and 75 for each follow up visit.i've tried methadone before but that was just like getting high legaly,the suboxone sounds differnt.
    I've herd of suboxone and know what it is but never have tried it what does it make you feel like when takeing it?Does it force withdraw symptoms to come on faster because of it haveing naloxone in it?

sweetchikk05 is offline Banned

so yabatab...what are you going to do? are you going to a detox center before jail or what? how long are you going to jail for???

Liz ann

Im going to jail for 45 days and a friend of mine told me to tell the judge about my adiction and the courts would send me to a rehab to detox before serveing my jail time.so im going to ask the judge for a court ordered detox before my jail sentance.i dont have the time or money to start the suboxone program before then.

zippysgoddess is offline Platinum Member

I wish you the best of luck. Jails are not nice for people withdrawing from drugs.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

Yab, I am not sure what state you are in, but there are some states that will let them pull you out of treatment and put you in jail on your assigned jail date anyway. It all depends on the laws of your specific state, they are not all the same. While what Torxis said does apply to some of our beautiful 50, it doesn't apply to all. Then again, I don't really even know if you are in the U.S., I was just assuming from some of the stuff you said and the length of jail time.

However, if you are in a treatment program, before going in, whether court ordered or not, you can have the doc in charge of your treatment consult with the main doc they use at the jail and he can show him why your treatment is necessary and authorize you to continue while in jail, so you don't go through the hell of withdrawals.

In some states, just the info from the treatment doc and his scrip is enough, in some states the prison doc has to sign off on it, so once again, this depends on what state you are in.

I can probably research some more of this info if you need it and let me know where you are.

My information is not guaranteed correct. I do not get them right all the time, but I do enjoy the hunt~

Oh, just wanted to add, in some states, if you admit to an addiction, they will let your jail sentence run concurrently with your rehab, so that means you would spend all 45 days in rehab, they can in some states, also change that to a shorter time or longer, and then have no jail time when you get out, since your time in rehab would count just as if you had served behind bars instead of in a treatment center. You would, of course, if you get this scenario, have extra restrictions at the treatment center, such as no day trips out and such, but it would be much better than being in jail for the 45 days.

Yab, I'll try to be as brief as I can here; Suboxone is a combination medication, Buprenorphine and Naloxone. Naloxone, also called Narcan is an opiate blocker and also the antidote for opiate overdose. The only reason Narcan is in there is to keep us junkie ass mother f***ers from disolving the pills and injecting them,thereby eliminating abuse of the med.
    Then we have the Buprenorphine. This drug is what's known as a partial opiate agonist. It works by blocking the opiate receptors in your brain just the way regular opiates do thereby eliminating any and all withdrawal symptoms. Take it from one who knows, it works like a miricle. One minute you're sick as a dog and want to die, 20-30 minutes after taking Suboxone you're 100% "normal". Does it make you feel good? Yes! the way an aspirin makes you feel good when taken for a head ache. No, it won't get you high, so you're not just replacing one high for another. It makes you well. You can go about your business. You can get on with your life. The beauty of it is, is that you do it in the privacy of your own home. You don't have to go to a meth clinic each and every day.
    I don't recommend you do it in a vacuum though, it should be used in conjunction with a plan of recovery, including therapy, support groups and NA. I've been on Suboxone maintenance now for 6 months. Some people need long term treatment, others can be off it in 5 or 6 days. I attend a support group three nights/week and attend three NA meetings/week. I have absolutely zero cravings and the Suboxone is enabling me to gradually rebuild my life. I take Suboxone the way a diabetic takes insulin. I have some major life issues to deal with before I'll feel comfortable comimg off. The thing is is that you can, as I said, be detoxed and off the med in 5-6 days, all depending on where you're at and where you're head is at. Good Luck, Be Well, Keep Us Informed>>>>TOM

P.S. One of the reasons for the costly first doctor's office visit is that your doc must make sure that you are sufficiently into the withdrawal process before taking Suboxone. If you have too much opiate in your system, Suboxone will put you into withdrawal. So, be sure to take your first dose with medical supervision.

thanks for all the info on the suboxone sounds like a good program i have done some research and called some doctors that treat opiat dependent patients with it the bad thing is i dont have the time now to start the program before the jail term so im comeing off the opiats at home and useing xanax for the crash i figure that doing this at home is better than going threw the worse 72 hours of detoxing in jail this is my 2nd day without anything but xanax and i feel like sh*t and the craveings are extrem at this point but the xanax help when i can keep it down wish me luck i got a 200mg morphine pill in my kitchen and its saying take me take me

Tell the morphine pill to shup up! LOL!

Anyway, Benadryl will also help with some of your withdrawals, such as nausea and the skin itchies and crawlies that you might get.

thanks zippy but the morphine is screaming at me now I'm holding out though.And yeah i been eating benadryl also and drinking pepto bismal like water. I'm about over the 72 hour hell of with draw.feeling a little better today body aches are still hell though.

yab, never having been there, I can't imagine what you are going through, but it has to be pure hell. I am so sorry you are suffering like this and I really hope you keep improving.

Hey yab....its a good thing your getting over the worst part before you go to jail.... I wish you the best of luck, who knows maybe in the end after you have time to fully be clean and have time to do nothing but think....you may just stay clean when you get out by choice...itll be hard in there but keep your head up and when you get lonely just remember I am and will be thinking of you and I will await for your return....take care sweetie...

Liz ann

Thanks for all your coments se you all in 45 days
    zippygoddess take care thanks for the suport

Chris

Good luck to you , I hope everything goes ok see you in 45 days....we will be thinking of you!!!!!!!!

Liz ann

Yabatab- I agree, good luck and be well. We'll be here when you get out so don't be a stranger. We need you here as much as you need us.-TOM

Hey guys I went to court tuesday and the reset the date to july 11.
    Thats the good news the bad is that the DA changed my charge to a 4th offense because i have 3 proir DUI's but i got those about 8 years ago and they were all charged as 1st offenses.I got those 3 DUI's when i was 18 and i got all of them with in the time period of a month
    My lawyer that handled those cases got all 3 charges droped to 1st offenses and told me that if i got another in the future >> only be charged with a 2nd offense.But when i went to court the DA told me that it didnt matter at what they were charged as that they count the number that you have which didnt make sense considering that i got 3 in the past and they were all droped to first offense's.Well any ways im hireing a lawyer now because a charge of 4th offense DUI in my state is a felony and carries a sentance of any where from 150 days to 6 years.So that 45 days i was looking at looks perty damn good now.
    Well any way i did detox myself at home which shows me i have the will power to quit. But this crazy mess has me all to hell and my nerves are on edge now.And i have used in since my court date im not going to lie im high as i write this post but numbing how i feel seems to be a perty damn good idea at this time.

But yabatab you know as well as we all do that its not the solution, you said so yourself...you detoxed at home you have the will power, yeh good for you you can do it, the question is can you stay clean? I am not trying to be mean but just because your court date is put off doesnt mean you can go out and get high every day until then and go through the hell of detoxing yourself once again, its not worth it, its not worth it, its not worth it god almighty I cant stress it enough, I thought you were ahead of the game, but them drugs got ahold of you, numbing the pain is only temporary I see where your coming from because thats how I used to solve my problems, but in the end they dont solve your problems, they trick your mind into thinking they do and in the end it only creates more problems...I understand your frustrations really I do and I am sad to hear the charges and the time you are facing but I am even more sad to hear that you chose drugs as a cure...its not a cure yab its a curse...please dont do it again...for me
    :9

Liz ann

I know what your saying sweetchikk I have stoped injecting though thats not much but i guess its a step in the right direction.I'm going to get back on methadone or try the suboxne i should go with the suboxone because i've been on methadone before and it didnt work
    plus the methodone just keep me high not high like i like but just enough to make me feel normal 12 years of being on opiats is a long time i feel like i would be giveing up part of who i am but i guess thats the part that has screwed me up in life.

your right...12 years is a VERY long time and I know exactly what you are saying...but theres nothing wrong with trying is there? and not to scare you or make you think I am thinking negitively...but what happens if the judge throws the book at you or tries to make an example out of you? 4 offenses is a lot and honestly, unless you have a kick ass lawyer you are prolly going to do some time...so that means you will have no choice but to quit...and you know why dont you try the suboxone? really ask yourself what do you have to lose even if you fail or it doesnt work??? what do you have to lose?? I hope you try it...
    take care

Liz ann