Depakot or Topomax... Anyone tried for chronic pain/headaches? Would love to hear re
    Marlin007 is offline Junior Member

Default Depakot or Topomax... Anyone tried for chronic pain/headaches? Would love to hear re

Hello all. I have been run around in circles from one doctor to another going from my Primary--> Physiatrist--> Neurologist--> Now to Physical Therapy looking to get a handle on excruciating daily headaches I get. The Neurologist and Physiatrist says they are Tension headaches caused by myofascial pain as well as anxiety, stress, depression etc. I not only do not suffer from neither anxiety or depression and aside from the chronic pain have a great life and have since learned that tension headaches are actually caused by the same mechanism as migraines and not by tense muscles or stress like these 2 doctors seem to think. For the past 2 years I had taken opioids for the headaches and back pain but I became tolerant to them and they stopped working as effectively so I stopped in December. The problem is that now I cannot find anything non narcotic that even takes the edge off the pain so I am miserable. I have been given Lyrica, Bacoflen, Nortryptiline, Tramadol and now they want to try Cymbalta. Now I have nothing against anti depressants for those that need them but to keep being given them on the off chance they will work for chronic headaches is really messing me up. There have been no benefits and numerous bad side effects like tremors, hand twitches, chest pains and feeling disoriented/foggy. To placate my Doctors I have tried several AD's for their off label use for helping chronic pain and all, whether SSRI's, SNRI's or tri cyclics have all given me bad side effects. The doctor's response, well you are in pain because you are depressed.. Um no, I am getting a little depressed because I am always in pain..

So it has been going on three months now where they keep saying "Try this for a few weeks or so and we will see what happens" which really sucks because nothing good happens and meanwhile I am miserable. So my question to the many fine and experienced people in here: Has anyone tried Topomax or Depakote at all but more specifically on low doses to try and relieve chronic pain/headaches? I am very leery of trying these very strong meds but also am tired of suffering and want to be a complaint patient. I have a degree in Psychology though so am well aware of the mechanisms on how these medicines work, potential side effects and horror stories but do not have any first hand information so anyone who has tried these meds I would love to hear your stories both positive and negative before I go against my better judgment and try them... Thank you for any help it is greatly appreciated...

I also posted this thread in featured drugs, not sure if that is an etiquette breach but am simply trying to get some answers and thought it would be more visible in 2 sections.. thanks

Marlin

Robert_325 is offline Retired

Marlin ... got your question on the other thread. Good luck my friend. God bless.
    I am not a dr. My statements are based on years of experience and related education. Consult with the professional of your choice regarding matters of concern.

Marlin007 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_325 View Post
    Marlin ... got your question on the other thread. Good luck my friend. God bless.

Thanks buddy... good to see you back on here and hope everything is going well for you and that very special woman of yours...

I have been on both, and Depakote ER worked better for me (and I'm currently on it). I also happen to be on Cymbalta to manage my migraines. It helps a little bit for me with few side effects so I continue to take it. In my mind, anything is worth a try. Best of luck to you. I've been down the long road of headache treatment, so don't hesitate to ask if you have questions.